• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello there, city-builders! Now it's time to take a look at new maps and policies coming with the Campus expansion.

Maps

Cities: Skylines - Campus features five new and exciting maps for you to build your city in.

Murky Coast is divided by two rivers that briefly join together only to be separated once more before flowing into the wide, open coastal waters of the area. Maybe the fresh, a bit salty air is what a newly founded campus area needs to flourish? Perhaps this is the spot where the first ever campus area in Cities: Skylines will rise? Who knows!

dev_diary_05_murky_coast.png

Murky Coast.

Nestled in the mountains and away from the rest of the world but still with all the adequate connections to neighboring cities, Wolf Creek looks like a haven for a flourishing college or university town. Beautiful natural vistas, steep cliffs and the Nordic atmosphere fills anyone with fresh, new ideas and the enthusiasm to carry them out.

dev_diary_05_wolf_creek.png

Wolf Creek.

Northwood Hills make history really come to life. Interesting terrain topography, old, dried up riverbeds and rolling hills challenge anyone settling a new city in the area but also bring great possibilities to anyone willing to harness the untamed power of these natural formations.

dev_diary_05_northwood_hills.png

Northwood Hills.

In Marin Bay you break ground on an island smack in the middle of a bay leading to open waters. After making the most out of the limited building space on the island, you can start expanding your city along the bay shores. In the south, you'll have relatively flat land before it starts climbing up towards the hills while in the north you'll come across interesting smaller bays and a river breaking the landmass to smaller sections. Bridges come in handy when building new suburbs and commercial areas.

dev_diary_05_marin_bay.png

Marin Bay.

Roslyn Peninsula is a large landmass that extrudes from the mainland and into the ocean with a mountain range running through it from north to west like a spine. Featuring small but lush forests, palm tree decorated sandy beaches and few larger islands off the coast, Roslyn Peninsula is a great place to found a city and build a world-renowned campus. What's not to like about going to school in a tropical paradise, right?

dev_diary_05_roslyn_peninsula.png

Roslyn Peninsula.

Campus policies
With campuses comes a collection of campus-specific policies. These policies enhance the campus life in various ways.

Healthy student is a happy student! It's important to take care of the student populace in your campus because if the students are sick, who's going to create all those fancy Academic Works and bring fame to your campus and city. Student Healthcare policy brings free healthcare to all students studying on campus. At a small extra cost in campus upkeep, your students are healthy as a chirper on a summer day! School food quality is always a topic for discussion. Whether it's too much bread, too rubbery potatoes or not enough salad options, there doesn't seem to be a good consensus among the debaters. Regardless of what is on offer during lunch, Free Lunch policy makes sure that everyone gets to eat it for free! And hey! It's always better to study on a full stomach than not (according to a little known Babylonian proverb)! It's going to cost the campus but it's one of those quality of life improvements that can make all the difference.

Ever wanted to go on a lecture by some famous academic mind? Well, now you (or, well, your students) have that exact chance! When the policy Visiting Scholars is active, the campus invites great thinkers, scientists and professionals of different fields of study to teach in the faculties. This'll give the faculties a great boost in their city-wide bonuses. But on the flip side, it does cost quite a lot, as well. Who said experts were cheap, right? And finally, the campus policy that has been debated more than anything else in the history of education. Will you shun away from it or will you embrace it? Will you put your students' best interests before your city? Or is the city's budget closer to your heart? Universal Education is a loaded concept. On one hand, everyone gets a chance to gain the best possible education. On the other hand, students won't pay tuition fee and it will strain the city's budget quite a bit. It's the antithesis of for-profit schools. Good thing is, with the Campus expansion, you'll be able to try out both: completely free education for all as well as turning the campuses into purely for-profit institutions where the entire upkeep is covered by tuition fees. It's your choice! You have the power!

City policies
Cities: Skylines - Campus comes with few city policies, as well. For-profit Education encompasses all education buildings in your city (or district). When you need to cut back costs and share the burden with your citizens, this is the policy to use. When it's active, all students are required to pay for studying, even in elementary schools! It'll cut the education building upkeep in half while still keeping the student capacity at the same level as before. But it also reduces citizen happiness a lot. With the addition of the new education building type, the Public Library, you can host Book Fairs. Book fairs are fun! You'll discover new authors and buy some good books, hear great talks about all things books and can discuss endlessly whether the book was really better than the film version. Book fairs increase citizen wellbeing in the Public Library's radius and also entertainment in the surrounding areas.

So, what do you think? Do you already have plans for campus areas in your cities? Will you continue your established cities and build a new campus in one of them or will you delve into the new maps and make a fresh start with far-reaching plans for your next city? Write down below what your future plans are!

See you in the next dev diary, city-builders!

Colossal Order dev team

I got a question from the past Dev Diary that isn't responded by the Devs yet: Is the stadiums on Campus compatible with the Match Day DLC?

FRENCH :

This DLC gonna be great - living cities more, more, more...
i imagine transportation and all next those areas....

The maps look awesome too! :D

Last edited:
I got a question from the past Dev Diary that isn't responded by the Devs yet: Is the stadiums on Campus compatible with the Match Day DLC?

They answered this on the stream yesterday. The Match Day arenas can be placed inside University zones, but you can't customize them the way University arenas work. They're still considered city-wide buildings. They expect modders will make variants that work with the new University features.

It seems to me that the For-profit Education policy should lower the amount of students attending by some amount. Putting up any kind of barrier to education is going to dissuade some people.

I think that would also make the game more interesting, as currently pops all get as much education as they can. I think this policy could be a more interesting way to have areas in the city with less educated workers without simply failing to build schools or setting an arbitrary policy that simply states people in the area go to school less.

The Match Day arenas can be placed inside University zones, but you can't customize them the way University arenas work. They're still considered city-wide buildings. They expect modders will make variants that work with the new University features.
I was actually asking the opposite of what you answered (as I wanted the university arenas to be placed anywhere on the city like the Match Day stadium, not limited to inside of the campuses only). But thank you for replying though.

I was actually asking the opposite of what you answered (as I wanted the university arenas to be placed anywhere on the city like the Match Day stadium, not limited to inside of the campuses only). But thank you for replying though.

That was answered yesterday, the Campus arenas can be placed anywhere and they'll work like a Match Day stadium outside of Campus zones.

The new maps look pretty good compared to previous vanilla maps, really looking forward to playing on them. The previous maps were overall pretty bland, but all the good looking workshops maps I've played had some kind of problem (like weirdly behaving water pumps/bridges in some locations, millions of required assets, etc.)

Perhaps this is the spot where the first ever campus area in Cities: Skylines will rise? Who knows!
I know it won't be my first campus since I've been building my own for four years already ;p
City policies
Cities: Skylines - Campus comes with few city policies, as well. For-profit Education encompasses all education buildings in your city (or district).... But it also reduces citizen happiness a lot.
It reduces my happiness a lot too. For profit education is abhorrent. I'm quite surprised by CO for promoting it over free education for all.
So, what do you think? Do you already have plans for campus areas in your cities? Will you continue your established cities and build a new campus in one of them or will you delve into the new maps and make a fresh start with far-reaching plans for your next city? Write down below what your future plans are!
My plans are to continue building my own campus and creating my own maps. I might consider this DLC in 6 months time for half of the cost, but otherwise I'm not overly excited by what I've seen so far. It's a little too American and a dream for Betsy Devos. The maps will probably require an edit to the intercity connections as always too.

It reduces my happiness a lot too. For profit education is abhorrent. I'm quite surprised by CO for promoting it over free education for all.
I don't see them as promoting the idea at all, especially as they show it as making people unhappy.

As I mentioned above, I do wish it also led to less educated cims. That could be an interesting gameplay effect, you'd be getting the short-term benefit of less school expense but with the possible trade-off of having a less revenue down the road when more of the next generation goes into lower paying jobs. I'd like the game to have more consequences like that.

As I mentioned above, I do wish it also led to less educated cims. That could be an interesting gameplay effect, you'd be getting the short-term benefit of less school expense but with the possible trade-off of having a less revenue down the road when more of the next generation goes into lower paying jobs. I'd like the game to have more consequences like that.
Lower paying jobs? Cims earn no income at all from any job.
It's just as well too, since if they did then most of them would be saddled with repaying their student loans that this 'For Profit' educational paradigm forced them to take. But, as this is Cities: Skylines and not reality, then we can all rest assured that they can pay for their education from their magical pockets of limitless wealth ;)

Last edited:
Lower paying jobs? Cims earn no income at all from any job.
It's just as well too, since if they did then most of them would be saddled with repaying their student loans that this 'For Profit' educational paradigm forced them to take. But, as this is Cities: Skylines and not reality, then we can all rest assured that they can pay for their education from their magical pockets of limitless wealth ;)

You'll be surprised how much change you can find down the back of the seats in pocket cars. ;)

will there be campus-related ads on the radio stations? hope so...

What do you mean compatible? They work independently obviously? You don't need to have match day installed to have Campus Stadiums working - like all previous DLC they are stand alone, you do not need other DLC to buy this one.

If you elaborate on what you mean by "Compatible" it may help get an answer from the devs, as it stands now it's a pretty vague question (i would also ignore it if i were a dev because it has a pretty logical interpretation)

What do you mean compatible? They work independently obviously? You don't need to have match day installed to have Campus Stadiums working - like all previous DLC they are stand alone, you do not need other DLC to buy this one.

If you elaborate on what you mean by "Compatible" it may help get an answer from the devs, as it stands now it's a pretty vague question (i would also ignore it if i were a dev because it has a pretty logical interpretation)
It is explained in a comment above. I want the University areans from Campus to work like the Match Day DLC, rather than restricted to inside campuses only.