• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi this may be a silly question but is Confucian Bureaucracy going to be playable? if so how would it be possible? Also I'm guessing the Chinese Empires will start out with the Chinese Imperial government instead of Confucian Bureaucracy and would you be able to adopt the bureaucracy as a Chinese Empire?
Keep up the great work with the mod it looks really good so far!

Hi this may be a silly question but is Confucian Bureaucracy going to be playable? if so how would it be possible? Also I'm guessing the Chinese Empires will start out with the Chinese Imperial government instead of Confucian Bureaucracy and would you be able to adopt the bureaucracy as a Chinese Empire?
Keep up the great work with the mod it looks really good so far!

We've added a playable government named Confucian Bureaucracy that's basically a mix of vanilla's (unplayable) Confucian Bureaucracy and vanilla's Chinese Imperial that's the default feudal government for some culture/religion combinations, so as long as you are eligible to play as the religion of someone that's got the government type it will be playable. Depending on the character, that means RoI (for Buddhist and Shinto characters), RoI or JD (for Taoists), or HF (for the relevant pagans; while tOG technically unlocks pagans, you'd be guaranteed to lose the government form when reforming since you'd have a crusading religion, which isn't in the spirit of China), though JD is strongly recommended even if you're not interested in playing as a Taoist since a lot of China-related stuff will be tied to that DLC.

The Emperor of China will be Chinese Imperial as long as the ruler follows a valid religion (Taoist, Buddhist, Shenist, Muist, Thanist, or HF-reformed Shenist/Muist/Thanist/Ryukyuan with specific picks), as will his close kin that follow a valid religion and are part of his realm. However, with the exception of China itself (which is the real China; historically it would be Tang in 769 and 867, Song between 1066 and 1279, and Yuan after 1279), Jin (after they get a titular empire in 1127), and the titular Yuan (before they conquer Song; for gameplay reasons Yuan is currently declared in 1260 rather than 1271) it will not be possible to have Chinese Imperial without JD.

Will there be any changes to how rise of Temujin and the Mongol invasion are handled?

Not in the immediate future, aside from perhaps tweaking where the stacks spawn, tweaking the de jures that the Mongols focus on with some CBs, and adding a special decision for them to create a pretender empire if they've got a good amount of land in China. As mentioned in the dev diary, we have other priorities.

There were some plans announced a long time ago, but that was well before I joined the team and (if I remember correctly) before HL, so some of that stuff might no longer be feasible (since nomads are hardcoded to a great extent), and since most of the people that worked on the mod back then no longer are active we might not want to do some things that were mentioned back then. For example, I personally wouldn't like something like Charlie's story as I dislike railroading stuff according to history, so if I get to decide there won't be any story, and I'll be pushing for any story to be easily disabled with a game rule if we decide to add a story.

Of course, it is possible that they'll get something new relatively soon, as small side stuff sometimes gets done despite not being high priority (e.g. I added Council Eunuchs and the new government in Japan because I wanted to take a break from adding baronies while still working on the mod), but no guarantees.

Iron_Century.png

Looks like we'll have a bit of work to do in the future (which won't be a priority until Iron Century actually is released). Both Africa and the majority of China don't exist in the history files (not even in the form of placeholders), and there are some other issues (e.g. Goryeo doesn't actually exist).

Of course, things could be worse...

Development Diary 23: Small Changes to China
Development Diary 23 - Small changes to China:

After taking care of a bunch of compatibility work for 3.1.1 and some optimization of various Grace penalties, I decided to do some minor stuff in China before getting back to the baronies, which ended up being enough that I felt that I might as well make a dev diary out of it.

Changing China's Capital:
ck2_5.png

ck2_7.png

Edit: For some reason, two of the images didn't end up here. You'll find them at the bottom of the dev diary.

Since China's capital moved a bit during the era, there's now a way for the Emperor of China to move it around (the AI can only go for de jure kingdom capitals in the China region (or the county of Luoyang, which isn't a kingdom capital but which historically was the capital) that are de jure part of China, while the player can go for any county that's part of the China region and that's a de jure part of China).

The AI will only rarely move the capital if it doesn't belong to a historical dynasty, and the historical dynasties (which currently are Li (Tang), Zhao (Song), Wanayan (Jurchen Jin; they never hold e_china in the history files), and Borjigin (Yuan)) will only rarely move it to a county that wasn't their historical capital (and those that had several capitals have preferences there; Li prefers Chang'an and Zhao/Wanayan prefer Kaifeng).

Also, in case you were wondering, the number of holdings in the provinces above will probably increase significantly down the line; we just need to script baronies in the relevant area to be able to do so.

The Kingdoms of the Middle Kingdom:
ck2_9.png

Speaking of de jure kingdoms in China, those have been modified to be based on the Song circuits (though with some of the smaller ones merged away), as that was the historical setup that resulted in the most reasonable kingdom size. The colours will be updated to be more distinct, and some borders might be adjusted a bit.

Kingdoms and their capitals:
ck2_11.png

ck2_12.png

ck2_13.png

ck2_14.png

ck2_15.png

ck2_16.png

ck2_17.png

ck2_18.png

ck2_19.png

ck2_20.png

ck2_21.png

ck2_22.png

ck2_23.png

ck2_24.png

ck2_25.png

ck2_26.png

Miscellaneous stuff:

ck2_10.png

The culture setup has also been tweaked a bit, to hopefully be less horribly wrong. It probably still needs some work.

ck2_27.png

Finally, if you missed it in the last dev diary (which had a lot of stuff), Chinese Imperial emperors have a bunch of eunuchs on the council.

ck2_28.png

As mentioned before, the eunuchs can originate outside China, even when they're randomly generated.

Attachments

• ck2_6.png
    ck2_6.png
    3,7 MB · Views: 25
  • ck2_8.png
    ck2_8.png
    3,7 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Quick question regarding South East Asia. Will you guys be using Chinese portraits for the cultures with Indian clothing, Indian holding art and Indian units etc. My history of the region is a little hazy but correct me if I'm wrong weren't the kingdoms heavily Indianized?

I don't know what plans -- if any -- exist for portrait modding down the line (and it definitely isn't a priority at present), and I don't have any real experience with graphical modding, so I can't say what is feasible down the line. Right now, the default for most cultures in Southeast Asia is Indian holding graphics and Chinese portraits (I'm unsure about the units).

upload_2019-5-21_22-43-34.png

upload_2019-5-21_23-0-16.png

I don't know who has made these clothes and hairstyles, but they were included in the Tianxia content pack. I only adapted them by replacing the Mongol assets by Chinese ones and correcting the order in the gfx files.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the current status of the content pack is. I believe there were some updates after JD, but I also have a vague memory of hearing that there were potential issues with it not too long ago (though I can't seem to find anything relevant when checking various internal threads/conversations).

I'll see what I can find out, but even if the result is "We need to make some changes before it works properly" or "Everything is on fire; do not use the content pack!" it will have to wait until we either have dealt with various things that have a higher priority or until someone gets permission to fix it due to wanting to do something else than the stuff that's currently a priority (or until someone does it without getting permission, but people not working on the things they're supposed to be working on impedes progress towards something releasable, so it is frowned upon, to say the least).

Update on the portrait packs: Some of them are in working order, some of them need to be updated to use stuff from the Chinese portraits added with JD, one of them has smaller issues (missing noses), and one of them (Late Western Clothes) is misaligned. As already mentioned, fixing these issues aren't a priority at present.

Why this mod is incompatible with the Jade Dragon and Holy Fury expansion packs?

Due to a combination of rather few people actively working on the mod, a couple of big overhauls that aren't yet complete, several large changes to vanilla that haven't been trivial to incorporate, and a decision not to release something until we have reached certain goals.

interesting_times.png

Just testing some stuff. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about...

:O
Did somebody lose the Mandate of Heaven?

Not quite; the (not final) numbers for that would be about twice as bad (you really don't want to lose the Mandate)...

But yeah, I'm testing some stuff related to the Mandate of Heaven. It's still very experimental (I wrote the first line of script less than 24 h ago), so whether it will work as intended is hard to say (particularly since the AI seems to go crazy with tyranny every now and then, which hurts its Mandate level a lot), but things seem to slowly be moving in the right direction; the Song currently stabilize around Average -- the point where there are neither benefits (well, aside from +0.01 monthly prestige...) nor penalties -- after a few decades, which is slightly lower than they probably should be, but they used to drop further a few iterations ago.

What is the team's stance on sub-mods? I was thinking of some minor additions for Srivijayan/Indonesian rulers (just some events here and there), but I will refrain should the team want that.

What is the team's stance on sub-mods? I was thinking of some minor additions for Srivijayan/Indonesian rulers (just some events here and there), but I will refrain should the team want that.

We're quite open, but with the lack of a public release at the moment it may be difficult to do...