• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The 1914 mod is pretty good, but it begins in 1898 if I'm correct. It has some nice extra units like guards and heavy weapons sections. But I have found that it still has many flaws and that you might not get the most historical WWI by the end of the buildup

I was riveted by this AAR when I first discovered it, though by the time I made it through to the "present" it had already ended, to my sadness. I'd definitely follow a World War One rebbot, absolutely :)

Honestly, seeing a Brittain WW1 AAR in this style would be great! Week by week, the casualties would mount, whilst the war would slowly expand and more theatres would come into excistance. Unified command for the western front would become a large running issue, and I would love to see a Gallipoli attempted, and maybe a second one in Denmark. The Germans would be pissing off the US more and more whilst the diplomatic serbice is working overtime to bring the Yanks in. The first weeks would be filled with a scramble to bring abiut a Miracle of rhe Marne. And, to top it off, it would all be brought to us by a slightly snobby anonymous British aristocrat. If that wouldn't be a good read, and don't know what will be

Could bring out Lord Britishman, PM for this. Mind you, I found it almost impossible to play WW1 'accurately' whenever I find a mod for it. 'Do you wish to join the grest war' is a pretty immediate no from me most of the time. Often it never escalates and Austria just fights serbia, and collapses trying to do it. They win, most of the time, but are bankrupted and quickly fall to bits. This is around the time the ottomans and russia die as well, so France, Germany and UK are in an awkward spot where they are having to be peaceful just to hold the world together.

Thank you for all the kind words. :)
I was looking through a few scenarios and thinking of the pros and cons.

1) The Great War - Realtime
2) Modern War - Realtime
3) Alien Invasion - Realtime

1) The pro here is that the AI can't F things up. No important island hopping or joint paratrooper navy operation for the AI to ignore.

The con is that the writing would be considerable research and a lot less creative writing. one thing that would do my head in with the WWII AAR, was reading up on so much pointless background stuff. royal bloodlines, daily newspapers articles on things like.... traffic lights.

2) Pro: what if we just start it off at right now? The research would be less, and it would take us into unknown territory. fun!

con: introducing early nukes, etc to the limited AI could make things spiral out of control real fast. I'm looking into the Putin mod. as I'm told it's the newest modern scenario. But not very interested in taking it in a terrorism direction that seem to be written in the events.

3) Alien Invasion.... I know, I know! hear me out.
My modding knowledge is very limited. But by introducing a more uncomplicated enemy it could help keep things working.

Something that would kick things off and give us that clear main objective. say we plopp down 4, 5 invasion forces in major cities and give them enough umph to give us a run for our money. And I can fill in the fun Game Of Thrones intrigues to keep the AAR fresh.

Same format and style as before.

PS. in all scenarios i'm thinking of writing as Britain, or the USA

I'm just spittballin' here. Would love to hear some of your thoughts.

Eh...maybe a world war from a different period. Like have it start in 1850 instead or something like that.

I'd support the Great War; I find modern great power conflict totally implausible.

Same could be said for aliens to be honest. They'll be super advanced if they can travel all the way to our solar system. And we'll go nuclear pretty quickly. So either the nukes work or they don't and we all die.

So really it's only early Cold War maximum and probably way earlier than that to avoid repeating ww2 again. I guess it would have to be using Vicky II. Which means great complexity...if a little dodgy warfare.

WW1 is a time period where most AAR's ignore, so I personally would want to see one. I have seen one alien invasion AAR and think that it couldn't be beaten. The Modern Day stuff would require you to make custom events to detail how the game flows into the situation you want it to go.

I'd prefer WW1 as well.

If I could engage in some shameless self-promotion, could I suggest a custom scenario that I and a few others are working on?

1) The Great Shattering Illusion takes place in a world where WWI never happened

Britain still has her fleet and colonial empire, however:
  • Her ally France is starting to succumb to internal conflict
  • Her former ally Czarist Russia grows more diplomatically distant as it grows in size and power
  • Germany is building a consolidated power-block on the European continent
  • And Japan is considering creating her own Asian empire

The events are sparse at the moment, but the mod team can watch your AAR as it progresses, and create events as needed.

For Real-Time AARs, I think you prefer to start the moment the military hostilities do so I could send you a save file with one of two war scenarios:

1) Scenario One: Britain Vs Czarist Russia

The Russians are supporting an Ultra-nationalist Greek invasion of the Ottoman Empire, and plan to claim Constantinople for themselves. If the Russians conquer the Ottomans, they will control most of the world's oil supplies. This is Unacceptable to Britain, who have now formed a hasty alliance with the Ottomans. The British have gone undefeated since the days of Napolean, but you know what they say about land wars in Asia....

2) Scenario Two: Britain vs. Germany:

France has collapsed into a three-way civil war between Republican, Monarchist, and Communist forces. Against British warnings, German troops have crossed the Rhine in support of the Monarchists. Parliament has authorized an expeditionary force to land in Calise. Meanwhile, Japan watches the European infighting with great interest...

You guys are killing me here.

(Ramble alert)

A WWI AAR would be lovely. You do AARs really well and hopefully the AI doesn't go crazy at Anti-Historical scenarios.
Thank you, I appreciate that :). Yeah, a big issue is keeping a historical scenario could turn this AAR into basically Indy Neidell's weekly Great War Youtube Channel. Something I don't want to do. I don't want to teach history. I'd rather create the feeling that we're there in the war room, trying to solve the puzzle of war.
but this can create AI issues. (As was the nail in the coffin for AAWWII)
If anything I will hope that in that game, like this one, that Canada HOLDS THE LINE!
Canada will be covered in any AAR I do. <3
The 1914 mod is pretty good, but it begins in 1898 if I'm correct. It has some nice extra units like guards and heavy weapons sections. But I have found that it still has many flaws and that you might not get the most historical WWI by the end of the buildup
I see a few different WWI mods being discussed. Yes I would like to start straight into it. I really enjoyed starting AAWWII at the moment of the Polish invasion.
Hello. Wow, i just finished with this aar and its really brilliant. Looking for your next adventure !
I'm a big fan of your work, so I will be excited to see your reboot regardless of the scenario you choose.
I was riveted by this AAR when I first discovered it, though by the time I made it through to the "present" it had already ended, to my sadness.
Wow, guys, thank you. That really means a lot. especially since my books aren't seeming to find a home. I really enjoyed writing this AAR alongside a lot of you (with the voting, the feedback, and historical trivia a lot here supplied). I am pretty disappointed that we never got to finish that story.
Just because of your AAR I bought Pelling's Winston Churchill and just finished with Darkest Hour movie, so i hope in another UK adventure...
oh wow. I do have a soft spot for the myth that is the British Empire. Must be my love for Alan Moore that has influenced that.
Oh, and I enjoyed the Darkest Hour movie! A little bit too Disney at times, but Gary Oldman is a national treasure.
WW1 is a time period where most AAR's ignore, so I personally would want to see one.
WWI is such a breathtaking and world changing event that is often overlooked. I believe it's because Hollywood has more love for the war they were really in (WWII). WWI is this weird "European civil war" for a lot of Americans. I highly recommend They Shall Not Grow Old by Peter Jackson. and of course BBC's own The Great War from 1964. Man, BBC war documentaries stay fresh forever. Oh, and songs like Green Fields Of France, or The Go Set's The Last March. Damn... so good.
If I could engage in some shameless self-promotion, could I suggest a custom scenario that I and a few others are working on?

1) The Great Shattering Illusion takes place in a world where WWI never happened
Plug away. I love that modding for this game is still being done.
I have seen one alien invasion AAR and think that it couldn't be beaten. The Modern Day stuff would require you to make custom events to detail how the game flows into the situation you want it to go.
Well you guys are gonna hate me for this one. But I made a quick little thing for what I had in mind.

Here's what I'm thinking:
2019. An unknown enemy invades Los Angeles, Rio De Janeiro, Alexandria, Hong Kong, Barcelona, Mumbai, and Vladivostok. They're powerful and they're here to stay.
We'll follow the invasion real time through weekly letters between an investigative journalist and a high standing member of the military. We'll cover military strategy and political discourse. No camp.

What I need:
I'm looking to mod the Putin mod to 2019, removing the terrorism flavor, and adding a new powerful new country. One capable of kicking the world's ass. Any experienced modder out there who want to make a quick 50$ send me a PM.

Last edited:
Yeah, a big issue is keeping a historical scenario could turn this AAR into basically Indy Neidell's weekly Great War Youtube Channel. Something I don't want to do.

Aah but what an astounding project that was to follow. Highly recommend it to those who haven't watched it.

Anyway...yeah I can understand not wanting to get into the nitty gritty sometimes, and WW1 was full of this kind of incomprehensible mad decisions that only make sense after hours of study giving the specific context of the situation.

I'd rather create the feeling that we're there in the war room, trying to solve the puzzle of war.
but this can create AI issues.

HOI especially lends itself to puzzle AARs where everyone crowds round and tries to plan months and years in advance to win wars etc. Because once the fighting starts, that's pretty much it for the game. The entire game itself is about those planning stages too. Some of the best stuff in Bullfilters Turkey game were everyone sweating it out over how to take the balkans without igniting the axis powder keg. If you cpuld achieve something like that with the build up to wolrd war one, say with GB trying to figure out how to a) acheive balance in Europe and b) reignite the imperial machine for another century all without c) either side winning without them or d) getting into a long war they can only lose money and men on..

That would be great. I think actually what would be best for a puzzle aar as you say, would be the 1890s and the proper allaince and power bloc building going on at the time. Then the second part would be the war that results.

I highly recommend They Shall Not Grow Old by Peter Jackson. and of course BBC's own The Great War from 1964.

Good flics. I think WW1 has a bit of a challange compared to the myriad of film ww2 got on record. World at war remains one of the best history documentaries and book series ever.

You guys are killing me here.
2019. An unknown enemy invades Los Angeles, Rio De Janeiro, Alexandria, Hong Kong, Barcelona, Mumbai, and Vladivostok. They're powerful and they're here to stay.
We'll follow the invasion real time through weekly letters between an investigative journalist and a high standing member of the military. We'll cover military strategy and political discourse. No camp.

Well, it's not my cup of tea, but i will try.
And about your books, my english its not good enough. Shame.
Good flics. I think WW1 has a bit of a challange compared to the myriad of film ww2 got on record. World at war remains one of the best history documentaries and book series ever.
World at War is well known in Czech republic, real Sunday morning classic.

Why Barcelona out of ever European city?

For that matter, why does every alien think that it's a good idea to take the US west to east???

Well, if they're powerful and organised and basically any higher tech level than we are now, the Earth is fucked. The only way you can really make a compelling alien invasion story is brainless like Independance day or limit the heck out of your alien menace. Have one alien, or have them be advanced compared to 19th c. GB (War of the Worlds and...er...Alien) but not planetary death dealers. Or go the new Xcom route and have them be basically run down refugees. Yeah they are better than us but they have like one big ship and not enough resources.

A massive invasion like yours would be over really quickly. The aliens win. Unless you're doing a resistance narrative but even then, with chemical agents the aliens can kill any and all humanity quite efficiently if they want to.

Judt saying that in-depth alien invasion story (as in-depth as your other stuff is) would be tricky.

Well I'm still working on my novels. They're not as strong as my AARs, but If anyone's interested I just uploaded a new chapter:
God does not change the winds.
That is what his brother had said.

Darkness engulfed Cassiel as he plunged through space, hurtling towards Earth.

The angel braced his wings and fastened his grip on the sword. Trying to find comfort in the last words of his dear brother.

God does not change the winds.

It was during the final days of the war. Michael’s armies had routed Lucifer and his pack of traitors to their last stronghold. Athaniel, the fairest of all the angels, had flown up to negotiate their conditions of surrender. Cassiel had the honor of accompanying him.

At the meeting, Athaniel asked Lucifer how he planned to be king without a dead father. And as pride rose before reason, Lucifer answered with sword. Ending diplomacy by planting it through his chest.

God was not there that day.
Or if He was, He did not seem to mind, for the winds blew gently across His Kingdom as it had done since the beginning of time.

Athaniel, dying in Cassiel’s arms, slain by his brother. His last words denouncing this futile war to change the winds. And as Michael flew to their aid, the fairest Archangel drew his last breath.

Lucifer, along with his traitors were tried and banished, cast headlong out of Heaven by God’s own accord.

Cassiel had often wondered if Michael secretly blamed him for the loss of their brother.

How fitting that now, aeons later it was his own destiny to fall from the heavens. To live without God’s grace.
He closed his eyes, the shame too heavy to bear for such a devoted servant.
To open and see what they had seen? Feel what they had felt?

Never.

Cassiel was no rebel. He had a true calling. Still divine, if only by heart. One blessed with a purpose, a most crucial task, and one that he was determined to see through.

The lone angel broke atmosphere above the Pacific Ocean in the dead of night, traveling faster than a bullet and heading for the western seaboard. His landing was less than graceful as he slammed into the desert at supersonic speed.

The shock wave could be heard for miles. The earth shook. Rocks and dirt burst up into the sky. Smoke twirled and engulfed the fallen angel as he gathered himself, rising to his feet in the small crater his impact had created.

The air was thick here. Thick and smoky. And it smelled of war.

He shook his wings and raised his head. The towering starry skies gazed back at him—Silent, and distant.
They must have heard his arrival. They would come for him, and in this state they could easily sense him.

The sword went first. He firmly planted it into the center of the crater, quietly apologizing to Raphael for disposing of such fine craftsmanship. Then his vambraces, followed by the torso armor, and lastly the tunica.

He stood there, naked and alone. A small dagger in his hand.

He looked up at the skies.

The silent starry skies gazed back at him.

“I am Cassiel of Araboth” He whispered. “High messenger of the Heavenly Host, defender of the Empyrean.” His majestic wings spreading out into the night.
He had a true calling. Still divine, if only by heart. One blessed with a purpose, a most crucial task.

Then he tightened his grip around the dagger and proceeded to hack his wings off.

The wind blowing gently across the desert.

-

Last edited: