• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello there, city-builders! It's time, once again, to delve into the mysterious world of developer diaries!

In the coming weeks we'll take a look at the newest expansion to Cities: Skylines called Campus. It was announced on the 9th of May and if you haven't done so yet, check out the trailer here.

Universities, colleges and the campus life are an integral part of any large city. They elevate the education to new heights, bring in exchange students, toga parties and also open up the possibilities to organize the school's own varsity sports team. With Campus you can create various types of campus areas of any shape and size using the Campus Area tool. After painting the campus area, you can choose the campus type - Trade School, Liberal Arts College and University - by placing the campus Administration Building. Campus areas will level up in reputation when specific requirements are fulfilled. Reaching new reputation levels unlocks a selection of buildings to further expand and customize your campus areas.

Campus areas educate young adults into highly educated citizens. Each campus type is unique and visually distinct from each other. Campus types also provide different types of city-wide bonuses through Unique Faculties.

dev_diary_00_introduction_01.png

Campus expansion also includes varsity sports and museums. After you have set up the beginnings of your campus, it is time to consider how the school will be represented in the world of varsity sports. Build a varsity sports arena inside your campus and customize your own team and help them to great success in home and away matches. Perhaps your team will be victorious and you'll be awarded with a trophy after the varsity season is over? Also, what is a city without a few museums? With Campus expansion you'll be able to build unique museums that work in conjunction with the different campuses and provide an additional boost to your city for it to flourish like never before. There will also be some nice free content coming alongside Campus expansion and you can read more about it and the different features of the Campus expansion in the upcoming Dev Diaries.

Campus expansion will be available in stores 21st of May. To help the wait, stay tuned in for more Dev Diaries where we take a closer look at the new features.

Best regards,
Your Colossal Order dev team

I await the feature that gets me excited about this.

I'm sorry, but this just hasn't grabbed me yet, it's very American and another utopic expansion. I'm still rooting for the Law and Order DLC that gets bandied about.

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I like it so much, I'm buying this on release or even pre-ordering it! When the free patch features will be announced? It is the last one like in previous Dev Diaries?

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I am really hoping for some kind of sport that is not just American Football. Cause mostly Americans play and know about it, while over 7 Billion people on this planet don't care.

In every other aspect I might be really happy with the update, since I looooove Universities :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am really hoping for some kind of sport that is not just American Football. Cause mostly Americans play and know about it, while over 7 Billion people on this planet don't care.

In every other aspect I might be really happy with the update, since I looooove Universities :D

Well, about sports they have done Match Day free update for us Europeans while americans don't care at all...now it's their turn i guess.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm looking forward to this, for the sports feature alone but I must admit that I never really used the university aspect other than to educate my citizens. Would love to see a DLC that emphasized just sport/fitness and especially pro sports in your city!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have been playing since the day of the launch of the game and have all the DLC and other add on packs. But.... sorry guys I do not feel inspired with this one unless I need to wait for more details. It really does not get me excited as it seems limited in what can be achieved other than a well educated city with American Football that the vast majority of people on the plant do not care about. The concept of university is different in the US.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Also for me this one is - for the first time disappointment DLC, I also have everything what has been released on PC and also on XBOX. But I see that many people are excited about it so I guess not everyone can be pleased. The best DLC is definitely Industries which finally gave the game cool complexity.
In the future I would love to see something like "City Center" expansion where we would get the chance to build kind of city center which would affect tourism and commercials and let us build maybe monuments - like Cathedral, Castle or Bank, City Hall (with function and modular) and I mean not to just plop them but build them in different phases until structure is completed fulfilling certain requirements in-game to be able to complete the structure... this is definitely missing in CS. Cities XL used to have it, Sim City done it badly with megaprojects... great example is recently Anno 1800....
Every European city has historical core of the city - City Center with towers, cathedrals, castles or so... this is still missing in CS and I think this would be cool future DLC with endgame motivation to build those monuments etc....

Anyway even I am not really interested in Campus DLC for the first time, I'll buy it for sure anyway to support you guys as a big thanks that you are keep expanding the game and that you are planning to do so in the next years as you said on the stream. And yay - for now I am happy for those who are excited about Campus, my turn will be the next time ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
This DLC sounds more like trying to stuff this part of the year with anything - even something not so exciting.
I simply cannot see anything exciting about it.
Especially that new expansion free content means... building cities from scratch :/

• 1Like
Reactions:
They've said they make DLCs basing on popular demand...it seems like Education themed was the most requested.

They've also said that another most requested theme was beach\vacation oriented, so we'll probably see that as the next DLC.

• 1Like
Reactions:
They've said they make DLCs basing on popular demand...it seems like Education themed was the most requested.
the reason education was an exciting prospect was that different education paths could impact lots of gameplay mechanics on an individual cim level, such as varying tolerance for taxation, different likelihoods of taking jobs in certain sectors, requesting different amounts of services, how they deal with power and water outages (complaints+leaving vs driving to oil or wood areas for fuel and collecting rain water), along with adding options for private schools and homeschooling.

instead, it looks like they did the minimum possible for saying they improved education

with that in mind i"m not looking forward to the beach one either, despite having suggested something in that direction previously

• 1Like
Reactions: