Imperator - Sunday Morning Design Corner - May 5th 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome back, @Johan , and on a Sunday too. Glad to see you again :)

I like the ideas you're mentioning. Some added variety is always good and oh dear do I look forward to the new and improved UI! What I miss the most from previous PDx UIs is, for lack of a better word, the lack of need to open and close windows and jump back and forth to do tasks. Like the example mentioned when using the macro builder, where you currently have to jump back and forth when, say, converting pops. First the macro builder, then back to the pop map mode to check borders and get the pop composition in the popup when hovering, then back to the macro builder, hoping that you remembered everything right. Say, would it be possible to keep the map mode and superimpose the macro builder's color coding?

Anyway, looking forward to it.

Oh, and draggable windows for everything, please. It's hard to use the great zoom-to function for cities when the window covers the city you're zooming to and you can't move it out of the way.

I don't know why the AI is getting so much flak either. It's certainly no worse than other AIs and it's given me quite a few nasty surprises at times. But oh well, maybe I'm just not up to speed after some 2,000 hrs of PDx games ;)

Oh, and as to the mana: I don't hate it, but I do think that it could do with a bit of balancing. I seem to always run out of oratory. And it'd be nice to be able to do at least something to compensate for an incompetent ruler like, say, an advisor or something.

Looking forward to the next iterations.

Personally, I am concerned about what you say about mana, because it still seems like you just don't get "it". Mana is not any currency. Minerals in Stellaris are not mana, although they are a currency. Prestige in CK2 is not mana, although it is a currency. The reason monarch points were originally called mana when the term first emerged is because the resources were overly abstracted. What is an Oratory Power? Nobody knows. If you were to try and describe it in roleplay terms, it is really difficult to do. How evocative your character is? Well, it can't be that, because it stacks up over time and your character isn't going to get more evocative by spending a bit of time not being evocative. Compare this to prestige. What is prestige? It's how prestigious your character is. You can become more prestigious over time, and you can get help by "spending" prestige - that is, bannermen flock to you because you are grand and mighty, but the fact you had to rely on your reputation and not gold in itself reduces prestige a bit.

There's a really big difference between them. Prestige is not mana. Tyranny is not mana. Stability is not mana.

Moreover, you seemed really close to getting the point, and then just failed to do so. You are talking about how moving pops could create tyranny, and how that would create some really interesting dynamics because you couldn't do it too often without revolt. That sounds amazing. That's a dynamic, ermergent system where two mechanics are interacting directly. But for some reason, you think that this is something only a minority of people would like, and a majority would prefer a system where you move pops with no consequences except having a timer for when you can move pops again? With the greatest possible respect, I think part of the reason you seem a little taken aback by Imperator's reception is because maybe this is not a minority after all, and you misjudged your audience.

Your changes just won't do much. Do I care if Kemetic has +5% discipline +5% manpower instead of +10% income? No, not really. I don't "notice" that change. It doesn't make Kemetic play distinctly differently from anything else. Just throwing more spreadsheet modifiers at the problem won't fix it. Instead, different religions and cultures need to have different mechanical differences. But you don't have room for that because all of Imperator's mechanisms are abstracted into mana. There's no meat and bones, only timers.

Just wanna say I agree sooo much with what you're saying, and you said it better than I ever could.

I am not one of those guys that go rampage on steam and i am still playing and enjoying the game. I am just a bit annoyed by some features i simply expected. For my taste those are smal things that come like regal numbers, moving capital, but also some that are yet unannounced. Naming Characters, cities etc. or deciding up on an heir. Those are things that changed constantly in antiquity. Seleucids and Ptolemaeans for example changed their name on the throne if they were not the firstborn and had a strange name like Mithradates (Antiochos IV. for example).

I am generaly in the more CK2 the better factions. I don't need an indepth system like that but i should care for the Characters and thats not that much the case yet.

Personally, I am concerned about what you say about mana, because it still seems like you just don't get "it". Mana is not any currency. Minerals in Stellaris are not mana, although they are a currency. Prestige in CK2 is not mana, although it is a currency. The reason monarch points were originally called mana when the term first emerged is because the resources were overly abstracted. What is an Oratory Power? Nobody knows. If you were to try and describe it in roleplay terms, it is really difficult to do. How evocative your character is? Well, it can't be that, because it stacks up over time and your character isn't going to get more evocative by spending a bit of time not being evocative. Compare this to prestige. What is prestige? It's how prestigious your character is. You can become more prestigious over time, and you can get help by "spending" prestige - that is, bannermen flock to you because you are grand and mighty, but the fact you had to rely on your reputation and not gold in itself reduces prestige a bit.

There's a really big difference between them. Prestige is not mana. Tyranny is not mana. Stability is not mana.

Moreover, you seemed really close to getting the point, and then just failed to do so. You are talking about how moving pops could create tyranny, and how that would create some really interesting dynamics because you couldn't do it too often without revolt. That sounds amazing. That's a dynamic, emergent system where two mechanics are interacting directly. But for some reason, you think that this is something only a minority of people would like, and a majority would prefer a system where you move pops with no consequences except having a timer for when you can move pops again? With the greatest possible respect, I think part of the reason you seem a little taken aback by Imperator's reception is because maybe this is not a minority after all, and you misjudged your audience.

Your changes just won't do much. Do I care if Kemetic has +5% discipline +5% manpower instead of +10% income? No, not really. I don't "notice" that change. It doesn't make Kemetic play distinctly differently from anything else. Just throwing more spreadsheet modifiers at the problem won't fix it. Instead, different religions and cultures need to have different mechanical differences. But you don't have room for that because all of Imperator's mechanisms are abstracted into mana. There's no meat and bones, only timers.

Very finely stated. I hope Johan reads this and has an epiphany.

Monarch power/mana is currently a waiting/whack-a-mole game, and it's I:R greatest functional flaw.

We want a dynamic game with meaningful cause and consequence.

i hope johan realizes that he should try new things with imperator, no time for conservativism here, has nothing to lose , battle is already lost
I am not one of those guys that go rampage on steam and i am still playing and enjoying the game. I am just a bit annoyed by some features i simply expected. For my taste those are smal things that come like regal numbers, moving capital, but also some that are yet unannounced. Naming Characters, cities etc. or deciding up on an heir. Those are things that changed constantly in antiquity. Seleucids and Ptolemaeans for example changed their name on the throne if they were not the firstborn and had a strange name like Mithradates (Antiochos IV. for example).

I am generaly in the more CK2 the better factions. I don't need an indepth system like that but i should care for the Characters and thats not that much the case yet.
you want to change the name of a city into : "uruk hai" , pay 50 civic power

i dont like changing names of cities or children because it adds nothing real to the game while it leads to immersion breaking more often than not

edit: player having ability to change names of the cities =/= historical reality. players are worse than goblins , they ll try to maximise whatever they put their finger on. i vote for NO renaming or Expensive power costs for renaming cities and NO renaming of children

Reactions:
edit: player having ability to change names of the cities =/= historical reality. players are worse than goblins , they ll try to maximise whatever they put their finger on. i vote for NO renaming or Expensive power costs for renaming cities and NO renaming of children
Uh?
If you don't want to rename your cities, don't. Nobody forces you to

Technical Issues
It looks like we have addressed most of the incompatibility issues, and that the game had heavy stuttering on some machines. It is something we will continue to fix immediately as they prop up.

/Johan

@Johan I still cannot run Linux version from Steam, even 2 week after release and two hotfixes. Technical issues FAQ here on forum does not mention any technical issues on Linux, in spite of there are multiple discussion on the internet and in the bug forum. Possibility to run game should be fix priority.

Barebones Games
This is the feedback that I just do not understand. I took everything we had in Rome I, and made every mechanic deeper and more complex, while adding lots more new mechanics to make it into a game.

I’ve not cut away anything when making Imperator to add into future expansions, and every game-mechanic, and lots more, we had planned was in the original 1.0.

From what I've seen, people are not comparing Imperator: Rome to EU: Rome, they are comparing it to a fully DLC'd up version of EU4.

that sounds good on paper but in reality you are forcing immersion breaking mechanics (if it can be called mechanic) on me. its a slippery slope and waste of time, they better fix actual important things in-game
But why is it immersion breaking for you?

And to be frank, Alexander named 70 cities after himself. If that's not immersion breaking, I don't know what is

@Johan why not make culture conversion cost tyrany yourself ? is there a negative side to it (gameplay wise)

because i think the game is better off with the current design

What are the chances for a CK2 game rule menu in a future patch?.

No, I don't believe game rules are good, especially not in games that rely on a good AI.

Barebones Games
This is the feedback that I just do not understand. I took everything we had in Rome I, and made every mechanic deeper and more complex, while adding lots more new mechanics to make it into a game. This game was developed the same way we did EU4 and HOI2, the previous games I’ve been most satisfied with, where we used all the original gameplay code of the previous game, and just built upon that.

What was previously a niche game is now one of your (PDS's) flagships, and is being judged as it exists now compared to EU4 and CK2 with years of polish on them.

Looking through what is possible with modding this game, the base you have developed is amazing. However, it isn't what people see, beyond the map which I think is universally loved. The world feels immense in a way that I can't look at CK2 or EU4 properly any longer. Even as I feel it needs still more provinces in places, your team did an excellent job with it.

EU4 has an enormous plethora of events to spice up a more peacetime game. CK2 has somewhat fleshed out characters. Stellaris has anomalies and various galactic threat events.

Imperator has... roadbuilding, a tedious trade system, and replacing dead leaders. Once you've turned your desired empire into a cultural and religious hegemon, there is no more threat of disruption. Once you know the tricks to stabilizing your empire, that is pretty much it. You have a fascinating system for tearing empires apart, but not everyone is going to grind through the game as it is to experience that.

Your civil war mechanic is also quite binary, at the moment, many civil wars are either way too weak or too strong. Something perhaps buff mass province revolts as you make the AI better capable of handling them, and perhaps some cohorts belonging to a pretender who has your entire army aren't that loyal to them, or something.

IMO, Imperator needs institutions, and not in the EU4 sense. Something to interact with to fill the peacetime void

Families should rise and fall, and feel like they are genuinely jockeying for power and influence over your empire. The same with religious cults. Right now the former serves as a source of octogenarian brides for those young lads hoping to further their line. Other than that, interaction with them is purely through event and to a lesser extent the legitimacy mechanic via religious unity. The Mouseion of Alexandria also functions as a permanent bonus, but again, other than the events, you don't meaningfully interact with it otherwise. Pretenders should work to setup an institution basically supporting their rule, etc.

I have said before launch that this is the best game I’ve made, and I stand by it still. 1.0 of Imperator is the best 1.0 we have ever made of a game.

Looking through the files, and at the map, I would agree in principle, but as a game I would disagree. I feel 'done' with your initial offering after forming Argead and getting the Perfidious Albion achievement... and a lot of it was genuinely not fun. The constant spam of trade requests for resources I don't care about was 90% of my interactions during the end of my Argead run... that was genuinely frustrating. Most of the active management I did involved tediously moving armies away from attrition.

Not that I should have cared, with active armies not subtracting from your total manpower, there's no reason not to build up as huge an army as your economy will permit.

Missing UI / Bad UX
I agree that there are things in the UI that is suboptimal. Some screens are bigger than they could be, like the province interface, and some do not have all the information you may need. We are all working on improving that. Some UI I deemed as optional as we ran lower on time, and I wanted to prioritise the gameplay experience, so those will come in patches.

The gameplay failings, I can understand, but you not seeing the UI/UX failings - calling it 'suboptimal' comes across as borderline facetious. Imperator is missing a lot of things previous Paradox titles had as standard.

Bad AI
Ironically, this is the game we spent the most resources in writing AI for, both in time and people. Instead of a basically reactive AI, that had no goal, and reusing old mechanics, we decided to write this AI as a new proactive system working with plans.

I understand that effort and intent is not the same as result, but AI was something we did focus a lot on.

Usually what is frustrating is stuff that we think should not be tough to work in. The AI should be reluctant to break a siege it is progressing on if it isn't under threat. When under 'independent operations', it shouldn't stack 2-4 armies onto the same city to siege it down, etc.

Overall though, Paradox games spoil in the AI department. You are getting held to a higher and higher standard because nearly everyone else does such a horrific job in comparison.

Power / Abstracted Currencies
I understand that there is a part of the community that dislike abstracted currencies like prestige, monarch power, influence or political power, they do make it into games that are possible to balance and

In 1.1, with us adding stability, war exhaustion, aggressive expansion and tyranny to the price structure, you could make a really good mod, replacing all power costs with impacts on those attributes. Such a mod could also completely make the instant culture conversion of a pop cost tyranny instead, making it something you do not want to do in bulk, or you could make changing an idea cost 5 stability, which is not much in direct cost, but limits you in other ways.

I think 90% of this was the instant results, especially for assimilation and conversion, combined with the horrific UX for moving pops. You don't see many complaints about the road system, though 20 helmets per connection does feel like much.

The base game will continue to use these currencies, as they make for a better game, but I acknowledge that there is a group of people who dislike them, and prefer another experience, so we will improve the game, to be able to support it.

I'd love to see generified resources a la Stellaris. I can turn horses, camels, and elephants into pops, but there isn't such a thing as horsepower I could use as a currency. Maybe I could use pedigree instead? Dunno.

Lack of Flavor

Finally, we are adding something we call Heritages to countries. This is something they start with, which gives 2 bonuses and 1 drawback. There will be lots of “generic” heritages for countries, which depends on their geography, but we aim to add as many unique ones as possible in 1.1, and then keep adding them.

This is a start, but one thing you may want to look into is either putting a designer into the game, or perhaps farming out making some groups unique to the community. Several of us have made or commented on threads about the Rasna (Etruscans), for example.

Content
It is hard to compare content between various games, but Imperator shipped with the same amount of events as Victoria 2 with expansions, and more than any game had at release besides CK2.

We also had more character interactions than CK2 at release, and a similar amount of diplomatic actions and relations as EU4 had at release.

Of course, when you have been playing games that have 5-10k of events,dozens upon dozens of unique systems, any new game, no matter how much content they have, will feel light.

Thing is, in Stellaris, you can see a large chunk of the events in a playthrough. In EU4, the nations are already quite distinct. In Imperator, each religion has its own smattering of events, as do some countries and provinces. A player only sees a tiny fraction of them.

Accordingly, making your game depend on depth from events is a Sisyphean task. You need to provide players and the AI with the ability to make their piece of the world feel unique. It should probably be a mechanic of the game somehow - like structures and institutional investment where a given region would be lucky to have more than one. Or something.

Reactions:
It would be so easy for the devs to say 'fuck it'; if thats how we are regarded and treated by 'some' elements of the community, then we'll step back from the level of interaction we have with them.

That has happened in the past, and will happen again.

We've lost many great developers through the years due to community comments.

But why is it immersion breaking for you?

And to be frank, Alexander named 70 cities after himself. If that's not immersion breaking, I don't know what is

it is immersion breaking for me because i know that people will name their cities with inappropriate names, all in the name of appropriatness ironically enough

yes alexander did that and so did seleukids renamed/created couple cities but the players are not seleucids , they are seleucididis.

i d be fine if renaming a city would cost something. i d rather us have "create city" mechanic than ''rename city"

Moreover, you seemed really close to getting the point, and then just failed to do so. You are talking about how moving pops could create tyranny, and how that would create some really interesting dynamics because you couldn't do it too often without revolt. That sounds amazing. That's a dynamic, emergent system where two mechanics are interacting directly. But for some reason, you think that this is something only a minority of people would like, and a majority would prefer a system where you move pops with no consequences except having a timer for when you can move pops again? With the greatest possible respect, I think part of the reason you seem a little taken aback by Imperator's reception is because maybe this is not a minority after all, and you misjudged your audience.

Oh god. Can't agree more. Just wanted to say this. Especially last paragraph.

More building to have, aqueducts, baths, libraries to improve, civilization level, pops happiness and tech speed.

Buildings need to have a purpose though, and a benefit to be built.

because i think the game is better off with the current design

Why? I don't think anyone is very clear on this. The only justification you gave in the opening post was that it makes the game easier to balance, and if that's true, then even then you still have a very large problem because mana is Imperator: Rome is not at all balanced - Religious Power is almost useless, whereas Oratory Power is constantly running out.

Reactions: