• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #121 - Court Improvements

Hello! In this dev diary we will present some changes we have made to the court system. Court Management is an important part of the CK2 experience, and currently there are several code pruning mechanisms that curtail court size, making characters die more frequently when the court grows too big. Now court management has been made more interesting by, for example, lowering the aggressive pruning for player courts, creating expenses/benefits associated with a Large Court, court flavored events using the characters of the court, etc. The intention of these changes is to make the system more interactive and interesting.

ck2_15.png

The court limit as shown in the interface.

Your court will now have a size limit depending on your tier, presented in the interface (see picture above). It’s possible to influence this limit by, for example, investing in majesty tech. We have also removed prisoners from the court-tab to make the shown courtiers more relevant.

ck2_18.png

Example of expenses for a big court (can be turned off through a game rule).

To bring life to the courts, we have added some maintenance events that will give your courtiers more of a life behind the scenes, making them more interesting and fun characters by giving them nicknames, modifiers, and skills.

ck2_16.png

Give a courtier a nickname.

We’ve also made sure that any courtier “randomly” picked for generic content is more likely to be someone with good (or at least interesting) skills, a cool minor title, an interesting relationship, etc. This is done by using a scripted score value that takes into account traits, opinions, and modifiers.

We hope that you’ll have fun with this small new feature, and thank you for reading!

Can we please get a checkbox to auto-ransom all prisoners (like the auto-stop plots checkbox)? There's a ransom all button, but because you can only have one interaction with each liege at a time, you have to hit it many times to successfully ransom everyone. Very tiring when you have dozens/hundreds of prisoners.

I'll direct my question to the devs specifically; will Courtiers now as for marriages more often than not? There is a very rare event where a male and female courtier will ask for your permission to elope but I was thinking something more along the lines of a courtier asking for a woman to marriage and then getting a randomly generated woman of your culture and religion.

I personally would appreciate it if it was easier to prune your court. Perhaps something like the prisoner screen, where you can take action on multiple characters at once. I know thats a bigger ask, but it would be really handy for QoL.

Yes! This has been in since Holy Fury, and can be very useful! Due to some syntax discussion with coders, it is, however, necessary to write "any_" instead of "random_", because (and I quote our tech lead) "it is the exact opposite of random". But yeah, check out the 00_scripted_score_values file for more info!

Awesome, I didn't know it worked with any_ scopes like that. Speaking of scripted score values, is there any information on additive_exported_value_modifier? It's not mentioned in any .info files or on the wiki, and only used in one file (01_scripted_score_values_papal_ai_behavior), where its uses are very similar. It sounds useful, but I can't get enough information to do anything with it.

To bring life to the courts, we have added some maintenance events that will give your courtiers more of a life behind the scenes, making them more interesting and fun characters by giving them nicknames, modifiers, and skills.
Definitely looking forward to this. As others have said above, I love the idea of a more engaging court life. It would help deepen the immersion that has always drawn me in to the game :)

@Heptopus any news if the next big patch will be 64bit or that this move will not be done for Crusader Kings II?
and thus unplayable for me in half a year, with the next MacOS

So the "Ask to leave court" is being disassociated with owning Reaper's Due now right?

Don't forget not everyone is loaded up on DLCs, and that they will have an subpar experience when this goes through without that option, since can't manage your court size without it (well, you can take tyranny for imprisoning and banish/execute, and some people can be married out)

And even with that option, manually pruning a court is a pita. It's stupidly common to end up with a giant court without any input from the player.

Events good though.

Last edited:
Again Thanks ck2 devs. At least you and stellaris think of your player base enjoying game. :) unlike EU4 or I:R they think only about stream competetive multiplayer.

I personally would appreciate it if it was easier to prune your court. Perhaps something like the prisoner screen, where you can take action on multiple characters at once. I know thats a bigger ask, but it would be really handy for QoL.

I understand the desire, and we've added a more modest version of such functionality in that there is a new Intrigue decision where you can ask multiple (presumably "unimportant", as determined by script) characters to leave your court at once.

So the "Ask to leave court" is being disassociated with owning Reaper's Due now right?

Yes, it no longer requires the Reaper's Due, and we have eased up on the requirements for the targeted decision itself.

Perhaps we could have a checkbox to show (or not) children, councilors and prisoners? :)
Would be more helpful in larger courts than just removing the prisoners.

Honestly those court changes look amazing. Flavor events are great as well.

But giving someone nickname sounds a bit silly. Is this even remotely historically justified? I have no idea.

With this incoming, can we have some further control over when characters can enter your court, either as game rules or ingame decisions? I've noticed that when you revoke land from your vassals, their courtiers often end up in your court, as do the spouses of prisoners whose liege loses all their titles. I've had my court balloon by hundreds of characters in a span of a few years due to these unwanted visitors, and I usually don't even notice they're there until they start getting up to some mischief, like plotting the death of my heirs. -_-

EDIT: Don't ask me what's going on with my account. I relinked my Steam account and something went awry, I guess. >_>

EDIT 2: Fixed the account problem, thanks Havamal!

Last edited:
I'd personally like a feature where courtiers would fall in love with each other and ask the liege for permission to marry. I think that would be more immersive and also would create interesting roleplaying choices where you might have to choose between marrying couples in love or marrying them for your own interests.

Another benefit is that it would allow you to ignore the micromanagement of marrying a bunch of people from time to time at the expense of optimal marriages by just accepting these requests.

Will also be events to have thing happen between courtiers, not necessary between a courtier and his lord, like becoming friends, rivals or lovers, marriages, duels, etc? That would make the court feel alive.