• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kam2150

Private
10 Badges
May 24, 2014
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Leviathan: Warships
Hello!

Focus of this mod is to overhaul existing unit types, add new units and redo military traditions to better reflect ancient warfare.

At the moment there are 3 new units:

-Regular Infantry - standard infantry unit, does not require special resources but is much more costly than light infantry

-Slingers - ranged units that excel at fighting other ranged units, including horse archers

-Skirmishers - due to deadly javelins, these soldiers are better against heavy infantry, chariots and elephants but smaller range causes them to suffer from other ranged units

Things done:

-3 new untis added

-Combat tactics are using new units

-Romans can now field Velites, Hastati, Principes and Triarii as separate units

-Added new units to Roman, Hellenic, Barbarian, Indian and Persian military traditions

-Renamed Heavy Infantry to Elite Infantry - Infantry is now divided between Light, Regular and Elite regiments

-Renamed units for most factions for most cultures with either Native Names or more fitting English names

-English and Chinese localization file updated

-Chariots now require horse resource and are avaliable to more factions instead of only Barbs and Indians

-Added unique icons to new units

I won't be adding dozens of units type, at max there will be 1-2 more units due to limited UI and easier recognition.

Instead of that, new overhauled military tree will include unlocking specific unit upgrades to existing unit classes in more immersive way and with better timing (so that Romans do not unlock Velites at the end of their tree or Hellenic states get Thureophoroi after Cataphracts).

While most cultures will use generic units names, new unit types allowed me to rename some culture specific names. Thanks to that you can enjoy Velites, Hastati, Principes and Triarii as separate units!

I am not adding new warships at the moment as they will be added in next game patch.

To do:

-add unique icons to remaining modifiers

-overhaul military traditions and tech

This is my first mod for Paradox game. People that played Rome 2 can know my work from Divide et Impera or multiple Warhammer mods.

Steam:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1724319890

Paradox Mods:
https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/718/Any

Credits:
Caladaras - Chinese localization

Last edited:
He is the Master of units and balancing. I'm expecting big things from him ;)

Oo, Could this be Rome Total War kam ...?

Edited: Just subbed to your mod, and see that it is indeed the legend. Looking forward to see what you do with this.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Archer! I've updated the file, let me know if the issues is still there, I am a bit new to how mods work for Paradox games.

Small update released:
New units now have working icons, in the future they will be replaced with custom icons.

Added new units names to few more cultrues (Romans, Greeks and most of Barbarian factions covered).

I've figured out how to edit most of stuff I want to have, next patch will take me a bit more time but I hope to have Greek military tradition tree at list partially overhauled.

Later on I would love to have separate military traditions for different faction that are under same bucket at the moment so for example Sparta would not have all traditions shared with Seleucids etc.

What would you think about adding Indian Elephants as a new unit? Basically a better elephant unit that the "normal/african" elephant is weak against. That can only, obviously, be recruited in India/elephants from India.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Raphia#War_elephants (wiki link, but I am lazy)

If we go by the theory that Ptolemy used North African Elephants in that battle and Antiochus actually used Indian elephants instead of a larger subspecies of African one

if u need any help i d be willing to do some work, but i have 0 modding knowledge. if theres some slave work to be done call me

i do know some history tho

Hello! Yes, I would use some help for such exact tasks :) Basically I would need someone to help me port new units to other localizations. Of course we wont be translating stuff like "Slingers" into Chinese but it is better to at least have that name visible there and working properly :) I will send you files to look at.

What would you think about adding Indian Elephants as a new unit? Basically a better elephant unit that the "normal/african" elephant is weak against. That can only, obviously, be recruited in India/elephants from India.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Raphia#War_elephants (wiki link, but I am lazy)

If we go by the theory that Ptolemy used North African Elephants in that battle and Antiochus actually used Indian elephants instead of a larger subspecies of African one

Sadly I wont be adding them as separate unit due to how units work in that game. It would mean that Indian Elephants would be visible as a unit for every faction so when you look at units stats, which are just bonuses vs other units, that screens gets unreadable if you add many units.

I know a bit about ancient elephant warfare as I even wrote a part about Hellenic War Elephants for one book published in Poland :) I will be reworking Indian military traditions tree to cover that part.

Sadly Traditions for Indians wont really reflect their usage in the Diadochi wars, maybe other way of doing it would be an event that gives a buff for x amount of time? If that's possible

I think it will as I want to have different military traditions for most of major factions so for example Egypt, Seleucids, Macedon, Sparta and Athens wont have exact same military tradition tree.

With elephants, if I would need to go fully with the sources, we would have below brakedown of elephants:

-Syrian Elephants - Indian elephants in armour, raised from selective breeding of Indian elephants, one was gifted to Hannibal and it was his famous elephant he took with him to Italy. - Seleucids
-Indian Armoured Elephants - India, Seleucids
-Indian Elephants - India, Epirus, Seleucids, Egypt (they captured a lot from battle with Seleucids)
-Atlas Elelphants - unique to Carthage, basically larger and better trained/equipped North African Elephants
-North African Elephants - Carthage, Egypt, Nubia, Numidia

But like I said, I wont be adding any new units to this mod and if I will it might be max 1-2 so I would rather use it for broader unit group like Elite Infantry or Superheavy Cavalry. If this game would have unit development and stats like EU 4, it would have been a different story but here adding more units than we have now would make unit stats unreadable.

Last edited:
I think it will as I want to have different military traditions for most of major factions so for example Egypt, Seleucids, Macedon, Sparta and Athens wont have exact same military tradition tree.

With elephants, if I would need to go fully with the sources, we would have below brakedown of elephants:

-Syrian Elephants - Indian elephants in armour, raised from selective breeding of Indian elephants, one was gifted to Hannibal and it was his famous elephant he took with him to Italy. - Seleucids
-Indian Armoured Elephants - India, Seleucids
-Indian Elephants - India, Epirus, Seleucids, Egypt (they captured a lot from battle with Seleucids)
-Atlas Elelphants - unique to Carthage, basically larger and better trained/equipped North African Elephants
-North African Elephants - Carthage, Egypt, Nubia, Numidia

But like I said, I wont be adding any new units to this mod and if I will it might be max 1-2 so I would rather use it for broader unit group like Elite Infantry or Superheavy Cavalry. If this game would have unit development and stats like EU 4, it would have been a different story but here adding more units than we have now would make unit stats unreadable.
Maybe trade good unique to those regions that give various bonii on top of allowing elephant recruitment?

Could you elaborate a bit more? I am not sure if I understand your question.
i mean the weapon.
sword, spear, pike or something else
————
I got it.I asked a stupid question.
Military traditions is indeed a good way to make units unique in different cultures.
Weapons are not so important,the only difference is name.
By the way, I like your DEI so much.

Last edited:

With unit system more like un EU 4 it would be doable to present various regiments as separate units but with how unit system works here, it would be a real mess to look at ;)

I hope you can work in conjoin with this other historical based mod too! Emendatio Historiae Imperatoris. Other than that I will also subscribe and hope this helps with the bland unit system of vanilla!