• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary - #145 Archaeology

Hello everyone!

Today we’re back with yet another dev diary, which will build upon some of the things we revealed last week. Last week we outlined some information about Minor Relics, and how they can be useful. We didn’t mention specifically how they are usually found, but luckily that is something you’ll learn today!

Archaeology
In the next DLC you will be able to experience some new content related to uncovering and excavating archaeological sites. Sites can be discovered in multiple ways, be it either on survey, generated at game start, or perhaps generated by an event.

upload_2019-4-25_9-41-4.png

Sites that lie inside your borders can be excavated by a Scientist, and will consist of several different chapters. A site can have 1-6 chapters, in addition to an introduction/prologue. Each chapter will have its own narrative and a reward, and has to be unlocked before it becomes visible.
upload_2019-4-25_9-41-36.png

Excavation in progress. Spoiler-blurred text.

A chapter will be unlocked whenever the Scientist excavating the site gets a successful result at the end of an Excavation Phase – mechanically this works very similar to how sieges work in EU4. As the Scientist goes through phases, it will roll a dice and add modifiers to the result. The final result will then either do nothing, add clues, or make a breakthrough to the next chapter.

Game mechanics details:
Result = dice roll + Archaeology Skill + Clues - Difficulty

Result Outcomes:
0-7: Status quo
8-10: +1 clue
11-13: +2 clues
14+: Breakthrough

upload_2019-4-25_9-44-45.png

Chapter completed. Spoiler-blurred text.
A neat feature of this new system is that you can click previous chapters to go back and read what happened.

At the end of each Excavation Phase, it is also possible that the Scientist triggers a random event, which will inject some unpredictability and create opportunities for emergent storytelling.
upload_2019-4-25_10-38-19.png

Everything is fine.

Archaeology chapters commonly reward the player with minor artifacts – but it can also be resources, research points or other more unique rewards.

Design intentions
Archaeology becomes a way for us to express narrative in a more evolving and controlled manner, and every site it also tied to a location on the map. All of these things together should make it more enjoyable to experience the content, since we hope it becomes easier to build a mental model of what is happening where. In general I believe that having narrative tied to things you can see on the map makes for a better experience. It’s not uncommon for me to forget where on the map a previous event occurred, and that is something I’d like to improve over time. I really like archaeology because it lands well between mechanics and narrative.

------------

We hope you could dig today’s dev diary, and next week we’ll be back with something old that is new.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Ah, this does hold promise of making the transition from earlygame to midgame more interesting. Single player empires that aren't seeking to warmonger have a relative lack of interesting happenings just after inter-empire borders are decided and anomalies are all investigated.

I assume archaeology stories will be finite (i.e. they won't repeat within a single game) - will they be 'scheduled' (or otherwise calibrated) to be spread out so some archaeology will spawn after all available systems have been surveyed?

This looks like the usual "over-prioritized" new feature in order to have "something" to sell for the new DLC.

I still dont quite understand having never played EU4, but it seems like multi level events similar to some anomalies which sometimes require multiple steps/decisions? If so, I hope excacations replace them going forward and become the new standard.

This looks like the usual "over-prioritized" new feature in order to have "something" to sell for the new DLC.
You do understand Paradox is able to work on multiple things at once?

So, the game is completed, fixed and optimized in regards to the (old) features they've already implemented ?

So, the game is completed, fixed and optimized in regards to the (old) features they've already implemented ?
... try to respond to the things I actually said.

Alright, how about this?

To expect Paradox to make their game absolutely 100% bug free, absolutely 100% mathematically optimized, while simultaneously putting every other project on hold, displays your supreme ignorance to the realities of programming, game design, and business.

To expect Paradox to make their game absolutely 100% bug free, absolutely 100% mathematically optimized, while simultaneously putting every other project on hold, displays your supreme ignorance to the realities of programming, game design, and business.
How about the fact, that the quality-management tries to just reach the "necessary" (in the sense of "minimum") level to "satisfy" the customers ? ...
The problem is, that a customer like you doesn't really "motivate" PDS to reach any level near 100% ...

I'm willing to read the next dev-diaries, but this one had nothing in charge to deal with ongoing problems.

The problem is, that a customer like you doesn't really "motivate" PDS to reach any level near 100% ...
And you do? You honestly think a comment like "Hey, stop working on new stuff until everything is spic and span" is going to motivate anyone?

I'm willing to read the next dev-diaries, but this one had nothing in charge to deal with ongoing problems.
Yeah, you know, it's just the last couple that have, along with the constant dev responses of how they literally never stop working on performance, oh, or the patch notes that always have a little bit dedicated to how they're working on the AI. You know, stuff that you'd have to be a lunatic to ignore, right?

Like I said earlier, you are doing nothing but showing everyone your ignorance. Do your dignity a favor and just... stop.

You honestly think a comment like "Hey, stop working on new stuff until everything is spic and span" is going to motivate anyone?
Like I said earlier, you are doing nothing but showing everyone your ignorance.
Just to mention, but do you actually know, what "over-prioritisation" means since either you don't know that or ... well ... you're on the ignorant side of life or you've "misinterpreted" my statement on purpose ...

Yeah, you know, it's just the last couple that have, along with the constant dev responses of how they literally never stop working on performance, oh, or the patch notes that always have a little bit dedicated to how they're working on the AI.
Yeah Yeah, but is this (still ?) their priority no. 01 since this dev-diary (about the new feature ("archeology")) + a part of the last one ("artifacts") (for the new (payed) DLC) looks way more fleshed out, substantial and DONE than anything, what they've presented so far in regards to the ongoing problems, (example: "dev-diary #142 - Sectors" - I'm looking at you !), so that I've got the impression, that too much work (in reference to "over-prioritisation") was put into this.

Just to mention, but do you actually know, what "over-prioritisation" means since either you don't know that or ... well ... you're on the ignorant side of life or you've "misinterpreted" my statement on purpose ...

Yeah Yeah, but is this (still ?) their priority no. 01 since this dev-diary (about the new feature ("archeology")) + a part of the last one ("artifacts") (for the new (payed) DLC) looks way more fleshed out, substantial and DONE than anything, what they've presented so far in regards to the ongoing problems, (example: "dev-diary #142 - Sectors" - I'm looking at you !), so that I've got the impression, that too much work (in reference to "over-prioritisation") was put into this.

I think thats more a matter of perception. Though I would like a Dev diary from who every is planning/implementing the balance changes, it would be nice to hear their thoughts.

I think I'm going to pass on this DLC. I very much doubt these events will give us anything meaningful for all of our trouble and will mostly just be busy work. Adding to the fact that I rarely bother to read events anymore, and I'm wandering what this DLC will add to my game.

This sounds promising. As someone who prefers non-militaristic plays this will give more to do. Something else I've always wanted is multiple levels of science ships, similar to corvettes, destroyers, etc for military, so that bigger investments in both ships and scientist level are required for some of the advanced tasks like high level anomalies, wormhole stabilization, experimental jumps, etc.

Sounds interesting. But doesn't quite get me fired up like MegaCorps did. Or Leviathans. Or Machine Empires. The best Paradox DLCs includes changes that almost make the game feel new again. I'm not sure this feature by itself would do that (and yes I know there's more to come). Looking forward to hearing more about the DLC.

Sounds interesting. But doesn't quite get me fired up like MegaCorps did. Or Leviathans. Or Machine Empires. The best Paradox DLCs includes changes that almost make the game feel new again. I'm not sure this feature by itself would do that (and yes I know there's more to come). Looking forward to hearing more about the DLC.
Megacorps and Machine Empires aren't of the same level of DLC (new faction type). Leviathan is, but we know currently only a small part of this DLC. The background story of the species (post-apo, gaïa homeworld, etc) can be introduced in the free part of this DLC.

Megacorps and Machine Empires aren't of the same level of DLC (new faction type). Leviathan is, but we know currently only a small part of this DLC. The background story of the species (post-apo, gaïa homeworld, etc) can be introduced in the free part of this DLC.

I'm confused by your reply. I don't understand what you're getting at.

I'm confused by your reply. I don't understand what you're getting at.
This appears to add approximately the same amount/kind of content as Leviathans and Distant Stars did (that is to say, a new minor mechanic and discoverable story content/bonuses).

If you're not as excited about it, that's fine- it's just not the same type of content as Synthetic Dawn or Megacorp.

This appears to add approximately the same amount/kind of content as Leviathans and Distant Stars did (that is to say, a new minor mechanic and discoverable story content/bonuses).

If you're not as excited about it, that's fine- it's just not the same type of content as Synthetic Dawn or Megacorp.

Huh? I've reread my post several times now. I'm not sure how you guys are reaching this conclusion.

There is a 99.99% chance I'll buy this DLC. Stellaris is the game with the most played hours in my Steam library, and probably the only game that beats it would be World of Warcraft. I said this sounds interesting, but this specific addition doesn't get me fired up. I'm looking forward to learning more about the DLC.

Very confused. But maybe I was unclear. Hopefully this helps to clarify things.