• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is a singular they, it's gender neutral, and since the internet is anonymous, and people are getting ever more particular about their pronouns, so it's incredibly useful. You can never be sure what you should address someone with anymore.

Anyway, still looking forward to the next update, hoping it doesn't take too long, but don't burn yourself out.

Reactions:
Wtf you talking about...

..the use of "they" in the two posts above his and the implications of using pronouns nowadays in a wider context....
Ignore. Move on, nothing to see.

I will have to disagree with the use of "they" to clarify one person. It makes no since as this word is used to describe what multiple are doing / where they are. It seems to me like this is a pointless conversation to even go about as you would describe it just like this " There is 1 person working on the mod". I would rather have their gender wrong them seem like i don't know the English language by calling one person "they".

Honestly it doesn't matter what you call him by anyway, i'm pretty sure the Author doesn't care what people on a gaming forum mispronounce his "gender term".

Reactions:
I will have to disagree with the use of "they" to clarify one person. It makes no since as this word is used to describe what multiple are doing / where they are. It seems to me like this is a pointless conversation to even go about as you would describe it just like this " There is 1 person working on the mod". I would rather have their gender wrong them seem like i don't know the English language by calling one person "they".

Honestly it doesn't matter what you call him by anyway, i'm pretty sure the Author doesn't care what people on a gaming forum mispronounce his "gender term".
Singular they in English has been around for over 600 years, only 100 years less than the plural they. I think it counts as correct English. It's just very useful to have a gender neutral singular pronoun.

Singular they in English has been around for over 600 years, only 100 years less than the plural they. I think it counts as correct English. It's just very useful to have a gender neutral singular pronoun.

How long has the concept of "they" as a gender neutral singular pronoun been in existence; aka how long has it been in use in the manner described above?

How long has the concept of "they" as a gender neutral singular pronoun been in existence; aka how long has it been in use in the manner described above?

I don't know the exact date at which its use became common in the english language, but as a native speaker, I can tell you that this is the natural way to refer to anyone whose gender you don't know or a hypothetical person in an abstract statement. At least, this is the case in Canada, where I am from, and I am pretty sure it is the same in the US.

As an example, if I met someone and they told me they had a child but didn't tell me whether or not they were a boy or a girl, I might ask, "how old are they?" I wouldn't have to think about this at all, it would just be the natural way to ask the question.

Actually, you sound like you don't know english very well when you are adamantly opposed to the use of the singular they.

I understand your frustration with overzealous social justice warriors, but you are picking a fight with the wrong pronoun. The use of the singular they is not new. Every native speaker I know uses the singular they.

Edit: Just thought I would add that using plural pronouns for singular words is not limited to "they". "You" is actually a second person plural pronoun in origin, not a second person singular pronoun. The original second person singular pronoun was thou, and only in the last couple hundred years has it been completely replaced. If you are opposed to "they" being used for a single person because it makes the number of people confusing, then you should also be opposed to "you", because it can refer to a group of people or a single person.

Last edited:

The use of the word that became "they" in modern English as a third person singular gender neutral pronoun is first recorded in Beowulf.

EDIT: I apologize for inadvertently causing a grammar war in this thread. As a student of linguistics, I felt obligated to make my first remark, and then defend my position, but it kind of went further than that...

Guys please stop arguing grammar in a thread about cavemen becoming emperors of the world.

Who'd guess that a thread about our ancient ancestors wiping out several species and starting a new cultures and religions on the backs on thousands of skulls would divulge to a debate over pronouns?

The only way to remedy this is to wait for the mod to update, and then conquer the world as the denisovans and wipe out the Proto-Germans before the English language can form.

Well, OP did answer a bit more than a month ago last time so it's probably just being a slow one man project, I say let's put downt the grave digging shovels and just hope for the best. Nice one on getting a job btw if you're reading this OP!

I wonder if they're trying to figure out some way to build the unique wonders? Like, building Stonehenge instead of just some stone circle, for example. I for one, would love being able to build that or Gobekli Tepe, though I honestly don't know how unique the wonders that start the game actually are...