• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary - #145 Archaeology

Hello everyone!

Today we’re back with yet another dev diary, which will build upon some of the things we revealed last week. Last week we outlined some information about Minor Relics, and how they can be useful. We didn’t mention specifically how they are usually found, but luckily that is something you’ll learn today!

Archaeology
In the next DLC you will be able to experience some new content related to uncovering and excavating archaeological sites. Sites can be discovered in multiple ways, be it either on survey, generated at game start, or perhaps generated by an event.

upload_2019-4-25_9-41-4.png

Sites that lie inside your borders can be excavated by a Scientist, and will consist of several different chapters. A site can have 1-6 chapters, in addition to an introduction/prologue. Each chapter will have its own narrative and a reward, and has to be unlocked before it becomes visible.
upload_2019-4-25_9-41-36.png

Excavation in progress. Spoiler-blurred text.

A chapter will be unlocked whenever the Scientist excavating the site gets a successful result at the end of an Excavation Phase – mechanically this works very similar to how sieges work in EU4. As the Scientist goes through phases, it will roll a dice and add modifiers to the result. The final result will then either do nothing, add clues, or make a breakthrough to the next chapter.

Game mechanics details:
Result = dice roll + Archaeology Skill + Clues - Difficulty

Result Outcomes:
0-7: Status quo
8-10: +1 clue
11-13: +2 clues
14+: Breakthrough

upload_2019-4-25_9-44-45.png

Chapter completed. Spoiler-blurred text.
A neat feature of this new system is that you can click previous chapters to go back and read what happened.

At the end of each Excavation Phase, it is also possible that the Scientist triggers a random event, which will inject some unpredictability and create opportunities for emergent storytelling.
upload_2019-4-25_10-38-19.png

Everything is fine.

Archaeology chapters commonly reward the player with minor artifacts – but it can also be resources, research points or other more unique rewards.

Design intentions
Archaeology becomes a way for us to express narrative in a more evolving and controlled manner, and every site it also tied to a location on the map. All of these things together should make it more enjoyable to experience the content, since we hope it becomes easier to build a mental model of what is happening where. In general I believe that having narrative tied to things you can see on the map makes for a better experience. It’s not uncommon for me to forget where on the map a previous event occurred, and that is something I’d like to improve over time. I really like archaeology because it lands well between mechanics and narrative.

------------

We hope you could dig today’s dev diary, and next week we’ll be back with something old that is new.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I am already predicting that this feature will be unplayable, because of other empires's closed borders. It will be nice if civilians ships could enter closed borders =(
This sounds like a feature you perform on your own planets, internally.

Oh look, more changes to the game while still making exactly 0 which required dumping 2/3 of the starting options...
Look harder. These changes don't seem to require a ton of developer time. These are planet based anomoly-event chains.

This DLC, as I predicted (I'm claiming so much credit this patch should be 2.3: The Duuk Patch) is precursors, civics, and backgrounds.

It's scripting and event heavy but *not developer heavy* which means the devs are working hard to fix the stuff that 2.2 broke.

Relax, tiger :D

Look nice!
A few questions here:
- What happens if the world is terraformed, is the dig site destroyed, or is the recovery attempt affected? At the very least, the planet-wide effects of an ongoing terraforming should increase the difficulty.
- What happens if the world is colonized? Will science buildings lower the difficulty?

Would be a cool feature to potentially find dig sites after terraforming. Something like, changing a frozen planet into a continental planet unlocks ancient structures from under the ice? Or Ocean worlds into desert worlds lead to underwater atlantis type cities? @grekulf

I would love if we could explore all those otherwise useless planets

Please keep working on overhauling underused/boring civics. Especially Hiveminds NEED a civic addition/overhaul. Civics are one of the best ways to create interesting empires and the best part of 2.2. were no doubt the countless civic changes that add much more diversity and flavour to the game. But it seems like you guys have abandoned Hiveminds for now which is very sad to see. With a new corporate tab you have so many options to create new and interesting Hivemind civics. From having 2 organic types grow at once, similar to driven assimilator, to utilizing the corporate tab as a way to create infestation on other empire planets, there are tons of possibilities.

Please consider a big overhaul for Hiveminds. After the great changes to Robots Hiveminds severely lack behind as a Gestalt civic without taking devouring swarm both in power and in playstyle diversity.

index.php

Everything is fine.

They are okay with events that are unfolding currently :)

This system is looks great, i really want to see if you can use it to anomalies. Please @grekulf , tell me that next week you talk precursors and the change their get, or even better the changes they get and the new precursors :)

This reminds me of something...

Although it does fit Stellaris more than Civ, hopefully mechanically as well (even if the goals are the same - to add something "explory" to do past-beginning).

Design intentions
Archaeology becomes a way for us to express narrative in a more evolving and controlled manner, and every site it also tied to a location on the map. All of these things together should make it more enjoyable to experience the content, since we hope it becomes easier to build a mental model of what is happening where. In general I believe that having narrative tied to things you can see on the map makes for a better experience. It’s not uncommon for me to forget where on the map a previous event occurred, and that is something I’d like to improve over time. I really like archaeology because it lands well between mechanics and narrative.
Does this mean each type of site is locked to a specific region of the galaxy map? Like Precursor anomalies. They are only found in certain sections of the map, such as First League are only in the south-southeast.

While I have this brought up, please randomize their placement somewhat.

Just a short question: Didn't you say, that the next DLC will be about dipomacy?
Well, based on the fact that Distant Stars was released between Apocalypse and Megacorp, I would say that the upcoming DLC is something similar to Distant Stars in scope. The code team might need time to implement the necessary mechanics for the hypothetical Diplomacy update, so giving the art team something to work on is more or less the way to go.

Will they improve the current precursors as well as add more?

Will they allow us to do digs in tomb worlds to find DNA to resurrect extinct species, etc?

I wonder what special events that machine and hive empires will have, considering their lack of individual agency.

Very very promising. It always bugged me how suposedly awesome storylines in anomalies ended with something banal like "+X minerals". Multi-stage events like enigmatic fortress with branching paths very much add to the feel like you are investigating a relic of lost civilisations, a new lifeform, something strange.