• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary - #145 Archaeology

Hello everyone!

Today we’re back with yet another dev diary, which will build upon some of the things we revealed last week. Last week we outlined some information about Minor Relics, and how they can be useful. We didn’t mention specifically how they are usually found, but luckily that is something you’ll learn today!

Archaeology
In the next DLC you will be able to experience some new content related to uncovering and excavating archaeological sites. Sites can be discovered in multiple ways, be it either on survey, generated at game start, or perhaps generated by an event.

upload_2019-4-25_9-41-4.png

Sites that lie inside your borders can be excavated by a Scientist, and will consist of several different chapters. A site can have 1-6 chapters, in addition to an introduction/prologue. Each chapter will have its own narrative and a reward, and has to be unlocked before it becomes visible.
upload_2019-4-25_9-41-36.png

Excavation in progress. Spoiler-blurred text.

A chapter will be unlocked whenever the Scientist excavating the site gets a successful result at the end of an Excavation Phase – mechanically this works very similar to how sieges work in EU4. As the Scientist goes through phases, it will roll a dice and add modifiers to the result. The final result will then either do nothing, add clues, or make a breakthrough to the next chapter.

Game mechanics details:
Result = dice roll + Archaeology Skill + Clues - Difficulty

Result Outcomes:
0-7: Status quo
8-10: +1 clue
11-13: +2 clues
14+: Breakthrough

upload_2019-4-25_9-44-45.png

Chapter completed. Spoiler-blurred text.
A neat feature of this new system is that you can click previous chapters to go back and read what happened.

At the end of each Excavation Phase, it is also possible that the Scientist triggers a random event, which will inject some unpredictability and create opportunities for emergent storytelling.
upload_2019-4-25_10-38-19.png

Everything is fine.

Archaeology chapters commonly reward the player with minor artifacts – but it can also be resources, research points or other more unique rewards.

Design intentions
Archaeology becomes a way for us to express narrative in a more evolving and controlled manner, and every site it also tied to a location on the map. All of these things together should make it more enjoyable to experience the content, since we hope it becomes easier to build a mental model of what is happening where. In general I believe that having narrative tied to things you can see on the map makes for a better experience. It’s not uncommon for me to forget where on the map a previous event occurred, and that is something I’d like to improve over time. I really like archaeology because it lands well between mechanics and narrative.

------------

We hope you could dig today’s dev diary, and next week we’ll be back with something old that is new.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Would it be easy to include beneath the chapter summaries a line noting which scientist unlocked that stage of excavation?

I think that would be a simple thing but go a long way to giving a bit more personality and character and history to the story. Especially since it's possible, I assume, to have an excavation that starts with one scientist and is completed by another.

Any chance we could have a physical artifact collection where we could see the things we have found, like precursor artifacts?

Something like the Great Works system of Civ 6. Spore also had a similar system:

latest

I hope that they lock archeological digs behind tech so that they're saved for the mid game. Early game is really fun as it is with exploration and anomalies, and digs could help spice up the midgame!

And the cycle begins again. o_O

Megacorp was the last DLC I bought for Stellaris. I don't want to see what "next cool thing" is coming up, I want to know how mechanics are being optimized and current gameplay shortcomings are adressed instead of adding new systems.

Make species Packs with new visual content if you need funds, but fix your mechanics (civics/ethics, war goals and mechanics attached, pop growth and migration...) first please, before adding new mechanics.

Hello everyone!

Today we’re back with yet another dev diary, which will build upon some of the things we revealed last week. Last week we outlined some information about Minor Relics, and how they can be useful. We didn’t mention specifically how they are usually found, but luckily that is something you’ll learn today!

Archaeology
In the next DLC you will be able to experience some new content related to uncovering and excavating archaeological sites. Sites can be discovered in multiple ways, be it either on survey, generated at game start, or perhaps generated by an event.

Sites that lie inside your borders can be excavated by a Scientist, and will consist of several different chapters. A site can have 1-6 chapters, in addition to an introduction/prologue. Each chapter will have its own narrative and a reward, and has to be unlocked before it becomes visible.
View attachment 473812
Excavation in progress. Spoiler-blurred text.

A chapter will be unlocked whenever the Scientist excavating the site gets a successful result at the end of an Excavation Phase – mechanically this works very similar to how sieges work in EU4. As the Scientist goes through phases, it will roll a dice and add modifiers to the result. The final result will then either do nothing, add clues, or make a breakthrough to the next chapter.

Game mechanics details:
Result = dice roll + Archaeology Skill + Clues - Difficulty

Result Outcomes:
0-7: Status quo
8-10: +1 clue
11-13: +2 clues
14+: Breakthrough

View attachment 473814
Chapter completed. Spoiler-blurred text.
A neat feature of this new system is that you can click previous chapters to go back and read what happened.

At the end of each Excavation Phase, it is also possible that the Scientist triggers a random event, which will inject some unpredictability and create opportunities for emergent storytelling.
View attachment 473828
Everything is fine.

Archaeology chapters commonly reward the player with minor artifacts – but it can also be resources, research points or other more unique rewards.

Design intentions
Archaeology becomes a way for us to express narrative in a more evolving and controlled manner, and every site it also tied to a location on the map. All of these things together should make it more enjoyable to experience the content, since we hope it becomes easier to build a mental model of what is happening where. In general I believe that having narrative tied to things you can see on the map makes for a better experience. It’s not uncommon for me to forget where on the map a previous event occurred, and that is something I’d like to improve over time. I really like archaeology because it lands well between mechanics and narrative.

------------

We hope you could dig today’s dev diary, and next week we’ll be back with something old that is new.
Is this intended to give scientists who have run out of anomalies to research something to do? It would be great if there were more opportunities for the "eXplore" aspect in the mid/late game

I like it. Are any of the discoveries going to be linked to factions within the game (such as Fallen Empires or Enclaves, e.g. one could find their former possesions) or the lore (e.g. the Yuht or the creators of Infinity Sphere)?

As a big DnD fan, what kind of dice will be rolled? Your standard d20? Or something lower such as a d10 or a d8 perhaps? Or even a boring d6?

I hope that they lock archeological digs behind tech so that they're saved for the mid game. Early game is really fun as it is with exploration and anomalies, and digs could help spice up the midgame!
Yeah, but not necessarily new tech options. For instance AI might enable contact with an advanced AI lifeform left alone for tens of millenia due to lacking a language it communicate in with normal organics. Man the possibilities here are amazing! I'm not a big modder, but if the script is relatively easy to use I can see myself spending weeks writing for this.

Will the AI also use this system? If so, will we be able to read through the excavation chapters from finished archaeological sites when we take over the respective system?

€dit: Follow-up-question! If the AI is able to use this system and we take over a system with a half finished excavation - will we be able to finish where the others began? Or do we start over?

This looks cool, but I just want sectors to work. I have been really missing Stellaris. I hope that sectors get fixed sooner rather than later so that I can go back to playing this amazing title.
Did you, uh, miss the entire dev diary devoted to saying "Heh, we really messed up sectors didn't we? Here's our plan to fix them." by any chance?

As other forumites hinted, it would be great to have the chance do discover and awake some long forgotten, sleeping race like the WH40K Necrons. Their awakening would activate the other sleeping sites and thus spawn a new empire that would specifically conquer/colonize tomb worlds and planets with archeology sites, looking for their lost knowledge and power.

Could this be used to add another background civic like Life Seeded, or Post Apocolyptic? Where you evolved/start on a Precurser or Fallen World which has multiple sites you can explore. I think would be really cool and fun, also a good RP choice for people who want it.

Looking forward to this update! As a Stargate fan, I have always been fascinated by its mythologies and lore. It would be really nice to see similar things in Stellaris.