• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 23rd of April 2019

Good day all. Today's a fairly brief Dev Diary, even by recent standards, as two of the five previous workdays were swallowed whole by Sweden's love for public holidays. To that end, I hope a good Easter day was had by all.

Last week I went over some Quality of Life suggestions that came up internally, and today I want to touch on one in particular detail. Again, these are not iron-clad promises of things to come. They are certainly improvements that we desire to make for the game, but or not that translates to being in our upcoming European Expansion and its accompanying update is for reality to dictate.

I mentioned at the end-of-year dev diary before that improving Custom Nation options was something we would like to achieve in said European release. Now a question that may come to mind is why this would be on the radar for our European expansion. Well Custom Nations remain one of the most popular choice for players. It has spent plenty of time as the number one choice in the past, although in the past months it has been playing second fiddle to France, see our handy nations chart:

Played Nations.jpg

No huge surprises here, except perhaps that England have fallen from grace, as they used to consistently be near the very top. These are most fun to observe when a release is done for a certain area, such as Rule Britannia, where England spiked like crazy.

What we see is that custom nations (D00 here) continue to stand the test of time, despite being added to the game with El Dorado back in February 2015. We have updated the designer with features as they have appeared, such as Consorts and ruler personalities, and updated the custom National Ideas as new modifiers have been added, but we feel there is still more that we can do.

In particular, myself and @Groogy have been looking at what we can do to boost the functionality of the custom nations feature, and something we both find lacking is that, while we have hundreds of sweet-looking unit models, there is no way to specify which ones your custom nation uses, leading to a fairly generic visual experience in battles. We may be dipping a bit into the HoI4 inspiration well with their way of previewing units for this.

unit previewer.jpg

In addition to a way to customize your unit models for your nation, I'd say we're due another pass of the available National Ideas for said custom nations. To the custom nation players out there, what would you really like to be able to tweak in your customized experience?

For those champing at the bit to see us move forward with development of the upcoming expansion, know that we are wrapping up this long period of tech debt. We have a couple more aspirations dev diaries to come, before we're likely going to return to our more regular dev diaries of showing off ongoing development.

My humble QoL suggestions:
  • Mil access mapmode
  • "Number of provinces" column in the country ledger (I know there's a whole page showing bar graphs for these, but they're not very helpful in finding out the exact number)
  • The ability to click Trade Policy or State Edict button during the cooldown and the change taking place at the earliest possible moment.
Edit: Current combat width in the unit macro builder would come in handy sometimes as well.

Last edited:
I've always liked the idea of being able to customise existing nations, rather than having to go into the mod files. For example, changing the ruler, or government type, like I've always wanted England to be a peasant republic or something lol

-Rules for Custom Nations to allow for more game/RP variety (Western tech Shogun, unlimited points, mix and match governments, religions, and tech) These could be more expensive in game (costs more points for "not of same region" mechanics)
[/QU

This is one of my most missed features for custom nations. I really liked being able to create crazy countries like a coptic feudal theocracy or an orthodox mamluk government. Having these fun combinations locked off for "wrong religion" or "wrong culture" is annoying. Custom nations are inherently ahistorical, so I think we should be allowed to make these crazy combinations again.

Also, I would love to see all the ck2 converter religions added to the nation designer. Maybe the heretic rebels in-game could even use these religions, though that might be more of a stretch.

Overall, I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store for custom nations.

Im just gonna agree with many people, I’d love to be able to create custom existing nation, because I like putting my own dynasty at Real countries thrones, but atm im limited to formable/reformable nasions sadly. Also, it should be useful to have an ability to create vassals. Other stuff like more colors, symbols would be also amazing.

for next DD please, would it be possible to see your aspirations for a potential rework of the HRE and/or catholic religion ?

(I have to say I'm thrilled by the aspiration concerning estates and mercenary, but I'd also like to see what your ideas concerning catholic religion and HRE are.)

More colour and flag customization would honestly go a long way. Currently the clunky, often too saturated colour schemes of custom nations makes it really hard to create something that looks like it fits on the map.

Also diplomatic customization for roleplay reasons? Custom claims, unowned cores, historical rivals and allies etc.

EDIT: And I would also love to see the converter religions too. Been wanting to go on a nestorian crusade personally.

Well, things I'd like to see in a Custom Nation Designer, as I do like Custom Nations myself...

One: Some sort of rudimentary Mission Selection process. I can understand an issue with not allowing people to just draft any mission tree they want or something. Too close to just outright modding and too ripe for abuse.

However having a few options that you could pick would be a nice way to give them some flavor beyond just the default three of Military, Economic, and Expansion lines.

So for example have an option where like for 5 Custom Nation Points you can have one extra line, and for 10 two extra lines. Then give options on what these lines are in a very generic sense. Like having a "Regional Power" kind of mission line that gives you permanent claims on nearby areas in your region, ala things like the Ottoman's expansion into Levant and eventually Egypt. Another that is like "Regional Trader" or something geared towards some of the missions/lines over things like controlling the Silk Trade or the Spice Trade. Or maybe a Colonial Power mission line that gives bonuses to establishing colonies in other regions (based on what you're closest to, so if you had like a custom nation in Africa it'd give colonial missions to South America, if you had a Custom Nation in the Phillipines it'd give colonial mission to Oceania, etc).

Two: Some means to control your military unit selection other than just having what is standard for your Tech Group. Mostly just a Roleplaying sort of thing for me, particularly when you're doing way out there What If Alternate History scenarios. But there's just odd things where I might want something like a Western Technology nation that has Native American Military Units. I don't know what coding issues there might be in that, if it's a relatively easy fix, cool. Definitely would be a nice touch.

Three: Event Chains and Disasters. Similarly to missions I'd love to have some option to create (or nudge to favor) certain sort of events popping up and what sort of disasters I might have. Like maybe having a Custom Nation that has Jannissaries with the events and disaster that leads to. Or having their own Open/Isolationist event chain ala Japanese powers. I can definitely see that being too hard to implement, but for me it'd be a nice package to have available. To be able to set up various events to impact (or maybe just be more weighted to?), etc.

I say this because sometimes that's the most memorable part of playing a new nation for me. The "OH SHIT!" moment when something I comes up that just absolutely wrecks my day that I had no idea that was coming. For example the first time I played Ethopia and I got this migration event that suddenly spiked unrest everywhere, brought up rebels across the southern half of my nation, etc. No idea that it was coming, and dramatically changed how I was playing at that point (and really screwed me in a war with the Mamluks with its timing as I went to free the Patriarchs).

Where as Custom Nations just don't seem to get anything like that. I just get the generic events that hit anyone like the draw of having a Consort from an internal province or various trade events, etc.

Claims, cores, historical friends and rivals, alliance and vassalage and tributary relationships between existing and among custom nations - > ability to save these.

Ability to choose unit models.

Giving players the option to disable the limit on points could be nice. The ability to set the limit on how far a province can be from the custom nation's capital would be good too. Sometimes I just want to create global empires with these custom nations. These are the two obstacles which come in the way of that.

Streamline adding custom flags/shields by giving vanilla support for a custom flag folder, thus allowing us to plop a standard sized design into a folder and then select it. Then add an in game button below the flag selector to allow us to select one that we have put into the folder instead of using the rather lackluster flag generator.

I can't imagine that is too difficult to do, flags have been my biggest gripe with custom nations.

The natives empires are suposed to be fearsome, not an oversized underpowered native as they are now.

High american tech was strong when created because of westernization.
When institutions were created they were heavly nerfed.
High american tech should give a way to embrace institutions without the need for a neighboor giving it.

The obsidian empire (nahuatl) start with religion unreformed, and will get a colapse every 2-4 years.
They eventually lose land to totemists OPMs, because they are stuck at tech 3 forever.

You can´t get the second missionary from owning the holy province on the random new world, they could get a permanent one from the mission trees if creating a random holy one is not possible.
Also expanding the mission trees should not be that hard. They all get the same invasion of France/England/Spain. Vinland should get missions on Scandinavia/Baltic, the chinese republic should target China, and the Indian kingdom on India.

You can get nations with high american tech and other unit tipes, like vinland or the indian kingdoms. Yet we can´t do it on nation designer.

A lot of random nations come with bonuses that are ilogical or outright useless for them. Horde unit on a republic for example. let us just edit the ideas of an existing nation, if auto giving ideas acording to the nation is impossible.
Or keep some random nations geting full random ideas, while giving other coerent ones.

I would love an ability to name NI’s of custom nations and to write some text about them. RP will be improved.

As echoed above, when I want to do a Netherlands game I always start as a custom nation. Much easier to take out one of Burgundy's PUs and open up a slot for you to potentially marry into the inheritance > : D. Plus, you can start as a monarchy as opposed to a republic.

Surprised nobody's said this yet; custom government reforms. I want a Diwan mechanic to use as a western monarchy, realism be damned. Mixing and matching government reforms to create a unique government at the cost of customization points sounds great.