• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 16th of April 2019

Good day and welcome to this week's Development Diary for EU4. Last week, programming maestro and wine connoisseur @MatRopert gave some insight into the technical debt that we have been and continue to be working on for EU4. Today, I'm going to continue probing at some quality of life suggestions.

Quality of Life will be a large focus of our expansion and update this year. In a couple of previous dev diaries, I talked about some of the QoL suggestions from the forums here. Today, I want to share some that have come up internally. Many people here at PDX HQ play EU4 regularly, and as you've surely seen, many compete in our in-house dev clash. As such, when it was heard that the EU4 team were going to be tackling QoL issues in a big way, many came forward with their own suggestions.

As has been said before, issues being listed here is not a guarantee that that they will be in the upcoming release.

"Take-as-much-money-as-possible-without-exceeding-warscore"

It fills my heart with glee that one of the first things we got internally was a demand to make taking all of someone's money easier. I think we've all been there when you've defeated your opponent, draw up the land you wish to take, then ask for a generous amount of their money, but the money you ask is too much, so begins the dainty process of clicking the - button on money. It doesn't help that the tooltip covers the acceptance chance.

We could well add a button for "as much as possible" where it takes money up to the point where it will still be accepted, or add a ctrl-click function for this. Either way, the frustration here is clear to see and remove, and since it's about taking money, it speaks dearly to me.

"Fully annex country option in peacedeals"

Another peace deal suggestion internally, and I'm sure it's been mentioned on the forums as well. Back in the day, the full annex option was the only way to annex a nation. Since then, the rules for taking land in a peace deal have been eased up, but it means that if you wish to annex a 20 province nation in the late game, that's a lot of clicking. Restoring the ability to 1-click select all provinces would be a welcome break to many mice.

"Core all button"

Speaks for itself. Much as the action of slamming that coring button for every province is empowering, a core-all button in the stability tab would be a welcome addition.

"Fix the Truce Timers not following their tooltips. Truces frequently end months before advertised, or claim they are over when you still get a stab hit for DOWing"

This strays into the realm of a bug, but none the less it lowers the quality of one's life. There's likely a bit of elbow grease needed in making the truces more robust so that you can have confidence in the tooltipped date for when they end, but it's high on the priority list to look into.

"Make age visible on Generals/Admirals"

EUIV is a game about nations rather than individuals, leading to the focus being on instruments of state over fleshing out people. To that end, generals themselves are purposely void in humanizing properties. With that said, it is very easy to forget which general and admiral was hired when, as their potential imminent death is definitely of importance to the player. Some general indicate of age, length of service or even death likelihood as advisors have is a reasonable addition.

"Click on core of a country in a province -> highlight all their cores"

Figuring out which nation to subjugate and which lands to take can often come down to who still stakes a firm core on them, including annexed nations. The highlighting feature on provinces was introduced alongside Rule Britannia, and this is a prime candidate for where we can add such a thing.

These QoL features (and many more) stand alongside those that we have been receiving from the forums, and remain a strong focus of this year's expansion and accompanying update. once our lengthy period of tech debt work is done and dusted, we look forward to sharing with you what we develop, as it comes. I know many are disappointed that we aren't showing off new features, map work and the like for the upcoming expansion and update, but the tech debt that we take care of today, paves the way for said development.

Going by what witche.07 wrote, there also should be an action to raid all possible coasts in a node or just those of rivals.

At the least, Jewish nations should be able to form Israel. The code is there from the CK2 converter, it could be ported over!
Ashkenazi and Sephardic cultures + Israel country are both included in game files for ck2 converts, I wish they will at least allow us to use them :(
I mean even port isn't necessary. They are already coded but unused or restricted.

There's one QoL I'd love: to be able to create custom messages/warnings by date.

For example, i choose that on 15/10/1457 the game pauses and has a pop-up with a message written by me.

Some cases I'd love to use this:
- When I send a navy/army across the world and it arrives in a given date. I often have to make sure I remember. I'd like to create a pop-up for that date without having to turn on messages for "every time an army arrives at a destination"
- I sometimes want to be reminded some months before a truce goes out
- When a disaster is happening, I'd like to create a message some months before the date so I remember to deal with it
- When I want to make a peace deal right before the year turn (for dealing with AE)
- When I don't want to forget the date I can raid coasts

Basically, instead of having more overly complex message settings, I'd love to be able to create my own messages sporadically (that may include pop-ups and pause)

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I'd love a quick builder-esque interface for managing provincial occupations, rather than the current three clicks per province system.

Could you put ship selling in to macro build screen cant remember but condottieri could also be put in the economic screen of macro builder cycling through an alert gets painful

Put the "Diplomatic Macro-Builder" (of the "Mandate-of-Heaven"-DLC) into the base-game and extend it ...
For Example: In the HRE-tab, why is there no "Grant Free City Status", altough there's already the option to "Revoke Free City Status" ?

Not all decisions have received the Rule Britannia highlight feature yet. I know for a fact the Zoroastrian decisions do not use it, but there may be more. It's a minor thing, but please make sure it's consistent! It's very appreciated.

This is a bug. I advise you to report it, then it will end up on my list of things to do and not leave there until it is fixed.

Some teeny tiny QoL changes that have always bugged me but would seem pretty easy to do

- Get rid of explorers and just have generals be explorers if you unlocked explorers
- Let me boot generals that suck even if they are in charge of an army, instead of having to remove them from the army first
- Please have a dialog for when my best ally gets annul treaties on them and I didn't even notice

And something less QoL

Estate management is a pain because all the things you want to do are split over two entirely different screens I find I'm always having to switch back and forth between these to manage estates and I feel like they should just be all in one place

I would love to See all of this finaly implemented into the game!!
looking forward for a extended list of life improving changes and Additions.
keep up tue good work.

edit:

perhaps It has already been mentioned but I would Like to have a list of All my states, so that I know which states to unstate so that I can State newly conquered states Who habe 10 Times the worth of my worst state. its a Pain to click through all the lands I own to find it manually.
such a list could be added to the ledger perhaps? showing all the states and teretories with their development and estemated income.

It means "make playing more comfortable".
Sadly you are right.
Apart from color vomiting there is nothing in EU4. Thats not even enough to call it a Grand Strategy Game.

And instead of finally starting to actually make the game better after the last few disasterous DLCs PDXs seems to be content to just streamline blobbing.

I would love to See all of this finaly implemented into the game!!
looking forward for a extended list of life improving changes and Additions.
keep up tue good work.

edit:

perhaps It has already been mentioned but I would Like to have a list of All my states, so that I know which states to unstate so that I can State newly conquered states Who habe 10 Times the worth of my worst state. its a Pain to click through all the lands I own to find it manually.
such a list could be added to the ledger perhaps? showing all the states and teretories with their development and estemated income.

you can find a list of your states and terretories with their amount of dev in your stability tab. just hover over the amount of states or terretories.

Showing the age of generals and admirals is a thing I've been wanting for a long time, glad to see it may be finally added. I'm currently playing as Tunisia and I fully agree with adding a raid map mode and a notification when raiding is available again. I would also prefer if the raid button/action was a toggle that I can turn on and my ships will raid as they follow the route I've set for them, having to press the button for every province is rather tiresome.

Hey, first of all thanks for the new devdiary!

I have one thing in mind which coul be a good improvement:

When transferring occupied lands to vassals/allies, you have to click on each province and do the same thing over and over. It is frustrating especially for me as I like to have big powerful vassals in late game. Maybe an option to transfer all o a state or something like that to solve this problem?

If there's a way to do this already, my apologies, I'm only 700 hours into the game :D

WARNING: LONG

It's not really about QoL but I'd like a rework of some GC mechanics;
I believe holy orders should be a colonial-only/extra-european institution (they were naturally present in Europe but 1)they can be represented by the clergy estate 2)they did not have remotely as much influence as they have now and 3)It doesn't make much sense) and should have interesting and flavorful events.

Expel minority should be changed to its core or be replaced by a different mechanic because it doesn't make any sense at all in the current form (muslim spanish colonies, burgundian and italian territories hispanicized, deminished cultural diversity in the old world).

This is my idea to rework the mechanic:
make it so that only heretics can be expelled, and make the provinces of the expelled minority become of the true faith AND with only a small chance, decreasing with development, of converting it's culture. The new world province is of the expelled minority's religion and culture.

Other small mechanics that could be added would be:

-decisions or events to open up the new world for accepted and culture group cultures if they make up at least a certain % of the development, increasing settler chance or growth and giving the province a culture dependent on % of cultures (the effects would be disallowed if the primary culture makes up an overwhelming part of the country to avoid exploitation).
-Events for Castille, Spain or Navarra regarding the Basque in the Americas.
-Rare events for the establishment of heathen colonies
-Events regarding the ulster scots for England/GB if Scotland is owned by them or non-tributary subject. (RB)
-Events and modifiers making Ireland harder to convert to a non-catholic christian religion. (RB)

Also please make it so that CN actually convert to a certain extent religion and culture, I'm pretty sure that Mexico by the 1800's wasn't predominantly nauhatl.

I will be genuinely happy if even one of these gets implemented and I genuinely hope this is seen by a developer.

TL;DR: holy order as an extra-european only mechanic, expel minority can be used only on heretics and religiously converts the province but have only a small chance of culturally converting the home province, colonial flavor, CN convert.

One thing I would very much like to see in EU4 is that when you have set up a peace deal ready, the game would notify you when the enemy would accept the deal so you don't have to fight half a year extra simply because you didn't constantly check if they'd accept the deal yet or not.

"Core all button"

Speaks for itself. Much as the action of slamming that coring button for every province is empowering, a core-all button in the stability tab would be a welcome addition.

As would a "build all", "upgrade all" and even "convert as many as possible" button. :)