• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AirikrStrife

Bergakungen
20 Badges
Jul 30, 2010
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
15ededd67b319875a53703775741054b.jpg

Carl med Guds Nåde - Sveriges, Götes och Vendes konung (Charles, by the Grace of God, King of Sweden, the Goths and the Wends)

This is a suggestion for a Sweden patch. Sweden is already one of the most flavourful countries tags in the game, with an immense amound of flavour. Still it's a country that could do with some extra care, especially a new mission tree. But also a second look at it's NI which is currently fairly generic. With these changes I am aiming for a more accurate experience playing as Sweden. This will be notable as a nerf to early swedish game, but with greater bonuses once the game progresses and the player fill out the mission tree.

This suggestion will also look briefly at several surrounding countries closely intertwined with Sweden, such as Denmark, Norway and the Baltic countries. As I don't know the history and flavour of these countries as well as I ought, I would appreciate if any dane or norwegian wanted to take a look at NI's and missions for those countries.

As we don't know much about the concrete changes to the german coast in the upcoming europe patch I'm not commenting on provinces in germany except for Schleswig. Nor do we know if they rework the league wars, which they would hopefully do and can tie in more to both sweden and denmark

Map changes
2019-04-02 (3).png

In sweden proper we see 4 new provinces (3 on the map). To the north Hälsingland has been split accomodating for the new province of Härnösand in the north.
Stockholm has been split into three provinces (I realize I should have made borders clearer for the new provinces)
The new provinces are Södermanland (south) and Uppsala (north). Not on map but I suggest the Island of Öland as a separate province

2019-04-02 (6).png

In Österland (Finland) We see one redrawn province, Birkaland has merged with northern Åbo to form the province of Satakunta (capitol Ulvsby) Towards Karelia we have the new Kymmenegård province*

*Alternative to Kymmenegård, is to split Nyland into Raseborg and Borgå province, though I found this suggestion more aestetic

Areas I suggest for Sweden:
Västra Götaland (unchanged), Östra Götaland (get's Öland),
Östra Svealand (Stockholm, Södermanland, Uppsala), Västra Svealand (Dalaskogen, Bergslagen, Värmland, Närke),
Norrland/Helsingland (Helsingland, Härnösand, Jämtland)
Lappland area*: Västerbotten, Lappland, Jokkmokk, Kemi

*Finnmakren goes to Northern Norway, and Kola forms new area with eastern karelia.

Finland (Satakunta, Åbo, Nyland, Tavastahus) Västra Karelen (Karelia, Priozersk, Viborg, Kymmenegård, Savolax) Österbotten (Österbotten, Korsholm, Kajaneland)

2019-04-03.png

For the northern territories I only moved provinces around, on the swedish side. The dotted line in Enare marks out a part of the province which should accurately be part of Norway. Enare has been moved slightely south and should be renamed to Kemi
Västerbotten
is no longer bound by it's modern border at Torne river, but extends as it did until 1809 all the way to Kemi river
Rovaniemi has moved south and are renamed Österbotten
Old Österbotten
only covers the southern part of the old province and is renamed to Korsholm. Kajaneland has been slightely redrawn to look more pleasing.
In Russian Lappland and Karelia, I split Kola in two, and made a new province in Karelia.

Talking about development I consider dropping about 17 more development (or 15% increase) to the kingdom of Sweden, besides dropping some development on the new province, I could see some redistribution of certain provinces (such as tiohärad with the cities of Jönköping and Kronoberg only having 3 dev). Stockholm and Åbo could drop a dev or two for redistribution.

Denmark-Norway
2019-04-02 (1).png

Two new norwegian provinces, Brunla province in the western part of Akershus (Ostland area), and more optional Hardanger (Western Norway area) in the west coast. Hardanger is a small county, but has a bit of a unique history, making it interesting to have there (could be an event designed for the province). Idea is that Hardanger does not block direct access between Bergenhus and Stavanger.

Now I imagine increasing Norways development with 6, Next up Denmark is a bit trickier because I also imagine a couple of changes to the danish starting set up that will effect them. Additionally, I think Denmarks dev is good (though I would suggest up it by 8) I feel it's poorly distributed, as Lund and Sjaelland has 20 dev, making them on par with London and slightly behind Paris. I would like to see that development spread out a bit over the country, Lund is a beautiful amazing city but it's not worth 20 development even then counting Malmö and Helsingborg (I'm from/live in Lund). The actual addition of provinces in Denmark are I believe quite up to how one want to distribute that development so I draw several possible ones

2019-04-03 (2).png

Making Sjaelland a separate province (capitol in Ringsted) is a first choice, a province for the peninsular (nowadays an island of it's own) of Vendsyssel another natural choice (which would make 5 provinces for Jylland area). Splitting Lolland into Lolland and Mön is another choice.
Also Bornholm should be moved to Skåne area.
More interestingly though is that Holstein shouldn't start as a vassal of Denmark (I'll discuss this in detail in it's own section) meaning a nerf to denmark and the danish vassalage. I would like Schleswig split into three provinces, partly because I want it to be an area in it's own right, an area which should be in the scandinavian region. The split I'm trying out here is Based on the Devs opening up for a frisian culture, then there would be a Nordfriesland province in Schleswig. If they decide not to include frisian, I suggest splitting Schleswig on lines of the traditional sysslor https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syssel#Sønderjylland
I'd give the area a dev increase to 15

2019-04-03 (3).png

Livonian order get's 2 new province to make the map more pleasing. Wiek in Estonia, and Selonia in Kurland, this finally cleans up the terrible areas in the current region.
New areas division:
Estonia: Ösel, Wiek, Reval, Narva
Livonia: Liefland, Dorpat, Wenden, Riga, Lettgalen
Kurland: Goldingen, Mittau, Selonia
6 new development to Livonia

Events and missions to follow

Death of Christopher of Bavaria:

Danish event: Elect Christian of Oldenburg new king. (The duke of Oldenburg abdicates and instead becomes king of denmark and norway)

Swedish event: Karl Knutsson challenges king Christian.

Option 1: Declare Karl Knutsson king! (Karl Knutsson Bonde becomes king, ending the union with denmark which gets a restoration of union CB)
Option 2: Maintain the union! A pretender army occupies stockholm, lead by Karl Knutsson Bonde

Schleswig question: Holstein should not start as a vassal of Denmark and instead have a historical rivalry modifier.

Death of Count Adolf:

With the death of the childless count Adolf of Holstein, the new count of Holstein would not be eligible to inherit the danish duchy of Sleswig, which would return Sleswig to the danish crown

Option 1: maintain the unity of the realm by electing the danish king as ruler (forms personal union with denmark)

Option 2: Nothing to be done about it. Cede Sleswig to Denmark.

Swedish missions:
2019-04-03 (1).png

My mission explanation might be a bit hard to follow, generally I didn't put much effort into the rewards, with few exception which I will be discussing together with ideas under a tab I call "Rise of the Swedish army"

Holstein: My goal is to not make protect norway such an instant mission. This mission is checked by holstein either being owned by sweden, a swedish vassal or a swedish ally. Rewards are permanent claims on norway.

[Emperor of] Scandinavia. Same reward as ”unite home region” mission in generic tree

Centralize: requires the country to have an average autonomy under 25%. Reward is cash and ”growing economy modifier”

Modernize army: requires country to have army traditions of at least 60. Reward is the ”thriving arms industry modifier”

Absolutism: Requires the modifier The Absolutism to be triggered. Reward is legitimacy and increased drilling speed.

Carolean army: Requires 50 army profesionalism. Reward is permanent country modifier ”Caroleans” Giving 10% infantry combat ability and +1 yearly army tradition

Control state religion: Copies the English mission

Lion of the North: Join the league war. Gives the ruler 1 extra pipe in shock, fire and maneuver as a general and gives the modifiers ”Lion of the North” until death of the current ruler, granting 0.25 military tactics

Emperor: Become holy roman emperor or dismantle holy roman. Same rewards as spains Universal monarchy mission.

Swedish copper: Have 5 workshops, reward is the ”Building spree modifier”

Baltic trade: have over 50% trade power in the baltic sea node. Reward is the naval enthusiasm modifier.

Swedish Ingria: Control Ingria area and western Karelia

Dominum [Maris Baltici] requires sweden to conquer Kurland and all of prussia. Reward is naval enthusiasm modifier and a random province becoming a dominant trade hub. And claims leading into a much larger mission of course

[Swedish] Deluge: Own or have a subject own the poland region and baltic region (excluding Silesia and red ruthenia). Poland or Commonwealth can't exist.

Arctic ports: Own laponia, Pomore and Archangelsk. Reward is permanent claims on Novgorod area

[Grand duke of] Novgorod: Own or have a subject own Novgorod area. Triggers an event that will offer the player to release Novgorod as a march with russian principality government and a ruler of target countries ruling dynasty (as it was the ambition of GA2 to make Novgorod a vassal under his younger brother). Also grants claims on Pskov. And a restoration of union casus belli on muscovy/russia for 25 years (GA2 did proclaim himself Tsar of Russia briefly but never held power outside of occupied territory in Novgorod and northwestern russia)

This period of peace with Poland benefited Sweden much, and Gustavus employed it advantageously. He established a military system that was to become the envy of Europe. He drew up a new military code.[13] The new improvements to Sweden's military order even pervaded the state by fueling fundamental changes in the economy.[14] The military reforms – among which tight discipline[13][15][16] was one of the prevailing principles – brought the Swedish military to the highest levels of military readiness and were to become the standard that European states would strive for. The code drawn up encouraged the highest level of personal frugality.[16] In the camp, silver nor gold was permitted anywhere. The King's tent was not exempted from this prohibition.[16] According to one historian, luxury was a "…stranger in the camp…"[17] All soldiers who were caught looting were to be court-marshalled and then shot,[18] nepotism and other forms of favoritism[19] was unknown[18] in the Swedish army. In addition, the system of magazines was brought up to an efficiency unknown in the period.[18] The baggage of soldiers and officers alike – for the speed of movement – was restricted significantly.[18] Garrison duty was required by everyone alike, there were no exceptions.

During the 17th century, particular during Gustav II Adolf and Charles XI Sweden had one of the finest armies in the world, but it had not always been that way, and would not be so again after the death of Charles XII. Begining Sweden shouldn't have as powerful starting position (20% inf CA is only appropriate later)
I took to redesigning Swedish NI's a bit, moving military ideas back, but also buffing them

Traditions:
+10% Goods produced modifier
+10% National manpower modifier

Ideas:
Kung och Riksdag

+1 Yearly legitimacy
+1 Possible policies

Tax Baltic Ports

+10% Trade efficiency
Military Code

+5% Discipline
Reformed Armies

+10% Infantry combat ability*
Swedish Absolutism

−10% Stability cost modifier
+0.20 Yearly absolutism
Indelningsverket

+20% Manpower recovery speed

Gud med oss!

50% prestige from land battles
50 % Army tradition from land battles

Some general things here, Sweden now starts with compelte new traditions, essentially moving idea 6&7 to traditions. 1st idea remains same, second idea is a trade idea replacing Hakkapeli. Third idea is swedish steel renamed to military code.
4th idea is Army reform giving 10% inf CA, a nerf with 10% from the old tradition. This is because now instead fulfilling the mission "Carolean army" grants a permanent country modfiier giving 10% inf CA and +1 army tradition per year.
5th idea is swedish absolutism
6th idea indelningsverket moved here
and 7th idea is an idea I had based on how Sweden really built on it's wars, but developing it's army and reiging in prestige on the international scene. Gud med oss is swedish for god with us, famous motto of Gustav II Adolf and commonly known by it's german translation 'Gut mit uns'

I also made a special reward for fullfilling the mission "Lion of the North" which requires you to join the league war. This reward makes your ruler a more ocmpetent general and adds a modifier granting 0.25 military tactics

As I rarely see Sweden or Denmark intervene in Livonia, I imagine an event for the Livonian war, which saw those two countries gain territory without even fighting for it (at first) because during the Livonian war then the order were crushed by the russians, Livonia as a country broke apart and different parts started vying for protection from foreign countries, burghers and nobility from northern estonia went to sweden, Ösel and Wiek were osld to Denmark, PLC took the rest and made Kurland a vassal. I imagine an event there the order suffers high negative warscore for parts of it to break out and seek the protection from neighbouring countries.

I want to especially thank @Entrone for the conversations we had on this topic, and point out that my maps are largely based on the discussion we had over in his thread

• 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Gotland
I just forgot about one thing. The curious case of king Erik of Pomerania.

Erik was king of the Kalmar Union, after raising taxes to finance his long wars against Holstein and the Hansa, widespread rebellions finally cost him the crown and he escaped to Gotland there he reigned as pirate king.
My suggestion is that Gotland be made independent at start, With Erik as duke (as it would be some normal monarchy) when Erik dies, Gotland would face three choices, go back to Sweden (which it originally belonged to) become part of Denmark (which it did after Erik was payed by the danish king to leave) or become a pirate republic (only avaible for GC owners).

Furthermore there should be a special event for Gotland, as long as Erik still lives, if he manages to occupy Copenhagen, he will be reinstates as king of Denmark (and all kingdoms still in union) this would allow for a pretty hardcore speed achievment :)

Though most of the provincial changes appear fine to me and to which I do not really have much to comment about, I strongly disagree with the changes to Västerbotten and Enare. While the province shapes may be anachronic for 1444, they are accurate for later time periods represented in-game and actually allow players to replicate the historical borders of the nations they play as, should they choose to do so. Is it really more important to represent the internal provincial borders accurate to the time period, rather than the external historical borders which often resulted in said internal provinces being split and divided? I would argue that the latter is more important than the former.

For similar reasons, while I wouldn't mind the inclusion of the province of Kymmenegård, it should be represented by two provinces, not one: the reasoning being that after the Russo-Swedish War of 1741–1743, the province of Kymmenegård was split between Sweden and Russia, the Russian half (which also contained the old capital of Kymmenegård, Villmanstrand/Lappeenranta) forming the westernmost part of what is known as "Old Finland", whereas the Swedish half continued to operate as the province of Savolax and Kymmenegård.

Though most of the provincial changes appear fine to me and to which I do not really have much to comment about, I strongly disagree with the changes to Västerbotten and Enare. While the province shapes may be anachronic for 1444, they are accurate for later time periods represented in-game and actually allow players to replicate the historical borders of the nations they play as, should they choose to do so. Is it really more important to represent the internal provincial borders accurate to the time period, rather than the external historical borders which often resulted in said internal provinces being split and divided? I would argue that the latter is more important than the former.

For similar reasons, while I wouldn't mind the inclusion of the province of Kymmenegård, it should be represented by two provinces, not one: the reasoning being that after the Russo-Swedish War of 1741–1743, the province of Kymmenegård was split between Sweden and Russia, the Russian half (which also contained the old capital of Kymmenegård, Villmanstrand/Lappeenranta) forming the westernmost part of what is known as "Old Finland", whereas the Swedish half continued to operate as the province of Savolax and Kymmenegård.

This is of course very subjective how people want to see the game, especially concerning Poland there's been large debates about whether the Map should mimic the later partitions or be true to how poland looked through most of this timeline. Personally I think the post-1809 border between sweden and finland only makes sense in a timeline based on just that post-1809 scenarios like Victoria. There is no administrative, etnographic or other perceivable reason to adhere to the torne river border except for the post 1809 scenario or modern recreationists. We also don't have the post Napoleonic borders of Netherlands since Limburg was scrapped as a province, and there are probably more examples of this. Personally I rather hve histroically accurate maps, then reconstructable modern maps

Concerning Kymenegård, my province is based on the post 1743 province, the territory lost to russia in 1743 (corresponding to modern south karelia) is to small to be it's own province, instead it's part of Viborg province, meaning we can actually not recreate the 1721 border! Though weirdly enough, the Kexholm country is split just for the porpose of beeing able to do that (Karelia and Priozersk being seperate provinces only makes sense as a way to accomodate the 1721 border)

the territory around enare swamp is quite arbitary, it could be a wasteland tbh, only inhabited by a handful of samis paying tax to whoever cared to tax them, not integrated in either sweden or norway

Last edited:
I don't understand why you would want a Hardanger province in Norway. It does have some nice fjords, but it's not rich or populous. The connection between Bergenhus and Stavanger would be confusing when the Hardanger province looks like that.
I also don't think Brunla is necessarily the best name for that province. I would consider Vestfold (Vestfold was much more important than the rest of that province), Buskerud or even Tønsberg after its capital (located in Vestfold; within the province you drew, it's the only real option for capital).
Yes, swedish Öland as well as german Rügen must be separate island provinces, connected to the mainland by a strait.
Why?

Because islands offer deeper tactical gameplay and stuff like this can happen: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...land-in-game-story-of-a-proud-island.1165199/
If by "deeper tactical gameplay" you mean "another way of trapping the AI armies where they can't do anything", I completely agree. These islands would be connected to the mainland by a strait, so something like that could not happen. Sweden would have simply marched a much larger army across the strait and beat the islanders in the first battle. Öland and Rügen are not big, wealthy nor were they ever ruled independently from the mainland in 1444-1821. There are many provinces in Sweden and Germany I would add before Rügen and Öland.

Gud vill det? That's a translation of Deus Vult, the battle cry of the crusaders, Sweden never used that. I think you may be thinking of Gott mitt uns, the battlecry of Sweden in the thirty years war, but obviously in German. If you want something in Swedish then "Med Gud och Segerrika vapen" the famous words of Gustavus Adolphus is probably a better choice.

Sort of a shame to see the Hakkapeliitta Idea go, and not redone, since they had quite a role in the success of the Swedish Army during the Thirty Years War.

They also gave us this movie-like moment:
"Because the Finnish Hakkapeliitta did not understand Swedish, they did not pay much attention to the Swedish language held church service. It is said that they used their time in the Church to sharpen their swords.
When people complained to King Gustav II Adolf about this, he said the Finns were serving God in their own way."

I always wondered if the independence wars of Sweden could get a bit more interesting by adding an option to secure finance from the Hanse (as in history) or by any other nation being interested in breaking the trade monopoly of Denmark over the Öresund... I don't have any concrete ideas for an implementation but think that could this could be one way to make the independence wars more unique and add some flavor and interaction to them. There could be a price for this financial support, like a share of your trade power, or in form of a loan (or if Hanse kontors are ever added, you could play around with those...) :)
As I said, just some thoughts I wanted to share.

I don't understand why you would want a Hardanger province in Norway. It does have some nice fjords, but it's not rich or populous. The connection between Bergenhus and Stavanger would be confusing when the Hardanger province looks like that.

I was looking at one new province in western norway, and felt this one had the most interesting trivia, but as I say it's highely optional, if you know any scandinavian language you can read about it here: https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardanger_len could be an event based on the donation of the len to the bishop

I also don't think Brunla is necessarily the best name for that province

Yeah there are many options

Gud vill det?

Yeah must have mixed things up, doesn't really matter though

Sort of a shame to see the Hakkapeliitta Idea go, and not redone,

I'm a fan of the Hakkapelii myself, but I felt cav idea is a bit off in the swedish ideas. While sweden did also change horse combat by making horses do shock again rather than fire, and popularized the usage of dragoons and mixed cav/inf I find it hard to do swedish cav usage justice with one idea so it becomes an either or question sort of there I went in to prioritize more general ideas, though desiging a mission for hakkapelii could potentially be done :) as a side mission after "modernize the army)

I always wondered if the independence wars of Sweden could get a bit more interesting by adding an option to secure finance from the Hanse (as in history) or by any other nation being interested in breaking the trade monopoly of Denmark over the Öresund... I don't have any concrete ideas for an implementation but think that could this could be one way to make the independence wars more unique and add some flavor and interaction to them. There could be a price for this financial support, like a share of your trade power, or in form of a loan (or if Hanse kontors are ever added, you could play around with those...) :)
As I said, just some thoughts I wanted to share.

I completly agree here, would love more hanse stuff. One of the problems though is the speed the game operates at, to make an example, sweden didn't expand between 1444-1561, and then after on and off war with russia for 50 years we managed to secure estonia, capture narva, ingria and kexholm county, in game this speed of progress would be a joke

I was looking at one new province in western norway, and felt this one had the most interesting trivia, but as I say it's highely optional, if you know any scandinavian language you can read about it here: https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardanger_len could be an event based on the donation of the len to the bishop
I think the best option for a new province in Western Norway would be to split off a province roughly corresponding to the modern day county of Sogn og Fjordane from the Bergenhus province (it could simply be called Sogn or something). Otherwise, I would have tried to give the northern part of the Akershus province to Opplandene and split off Hamar/Hedmark from that, but that's in Eastern Norway.

Should Sweden or any Nordic country have subdivided cultures? Scanian comes to mind as a possibility
Yes it would make sense Swedish medieval historian Dick Harrison wrote an article claiming Scanian is not a mix of Swedish and Danish but rather a mix of Swedish and a now dead Scanian language.

Yes it would make sense Swedish medieval historian Dick Harrison wrote an article claiming Scanian is not a mix of Swedish and Danish but rather a mix of Swedish and a now dead Scanian language.

Yeah once the debatte wheather old scanian moved past the question whether it were a dialect of old swedish or old danish, it is commonly considered simply old scanian, on a scandinavian dialect continum, problem though is just that, scandinavian exists on a continuum, which has been affected by national borders and standardisation, if scandinavia had developed on similiar veins to the hre there could be several more cultures but the creation of the three scandinavian kingdoms formed the concept of national identity,

It's interesting to see how people perceived the notion of a nordic people(s) historically, for example there is often considered to be just one nordic language well into modern era, and our languages still maintain high level of mutual intelligibility, especially in written form, on the other end geats/götar were often considered it's own people by scholars such as Olaus Magnus, whether this division were purely academic and maintained by scholars who equaled geats to goths and thus did it for the sake of claiming goths as part of our own history or people in götaland actually felt like a different people am I not sure about.

Personally the only culture in scandinavia I could safely say deserves being it's own is Gutnish (on gotland) but it's too small to be represented in game, Jamts and värmlanders faces similiar problem. Scanian, which curiously exists as a lost culture, does offer the most feasible addition as it has enough provinces but I feel a clearer line of argument would be needed, though as a scanian myself I can confirm scanians maintain a distinct identity from the people of central sweden (swedes proper to use sort of scholarly terminology)

Helsings/norrlanders are in some sources also pointed to as being distinct people, but again these sources are not proper academic work, though historically Hälsingland/Norrland was one of the last parts of classic sweden to actually be incorporated into the swedish kingdom it looks to me like they were integrated enough into a swedish identity by the euiv timeline, partly due to colonization.

Talking outside Sweden, I am less knowledgeable, I know to some extent south norwegians (sunnanfjells), and north norwegian (nordanfjells) saw each other as distinct groupings, mainly during the viking age but to some extent still existing today, but no idea if it would merit a culture split in euiv.

I think the best option for a new province in Western Norway would be to split off a province roughly corresponding to the modern day county of Sogn og Fjordane from the Bergenhus province (it could simply be called Sogn or something). Otherwise, I would have tried to give the northern part of the Akershus province to Opplandene and split off Hamar/Hedmark from that, but that's in Eastern Norway.

Are you norwegian? Just asking if you can read norwegian and/or if you been in the region.

I'm looking at using Hardanger as a way to reduce the wasteland of Langafjell, now I only been to Norway once about 13 years ago, but I drove from eastern norway to Bergen via Hardangervida, looking at the travel routes, both in historical (https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordmannsslepa ) and contemporary terms, there seems reasonable to reduce the langafjell wasteland, I imagine increasing the size of Bratsberg to cover the full size of Övre Telemarken, and snaking in the Numedal into my Brunla/Buskerud province to give those provinces connection to Hardanger (and increase the size of Stavanger and Agder to remove pointless wasteland)

Combined with the historical events in Hardanger I think this would be a good justification to use the province, especially since it's not taking much of existing land from Bergenshus, but taking most of it's territory from current wasteland, a Sögn province would split Bergenhus in half.

Last edited:
Also when I brought up Scanian, I was also thinking of it from a gameplay bonus to, Scanian as its own culture dissuades AI Sweden and AI Denmark from plowing all the way into each other

Are you norwegian? Just asking if you can read norwegian and/or if you been in the region.
Yes, I'm Norwegian :)
I'm looking at using Hardanger as a way to reduce the wasteland of Langafjell, now I only been to Norway once about 13 years ago, but I drove from eastern norway to Bergen via Hardangervida, looking at the travel routes, both in historical (https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordmannsslepa ) and contemporary terms, there seems reasonable to reduce the langafjell wasteland, I imagine increasing the size of Bratsberg to cover the full size of Övre Telemarken, and snaking in the Numedal into my Brunla/Buskerud province to give those provinces connection to Hardanger (and increase the size of Stavanger and Agder to remove pointless wasteland)

Combined with the historical events in Hardanger I think this would be a good justification to use the province, especially since it's not taking much of existing land from Bergenshus, but taking most of it's territory from current wasteland, a Sögn province would split Bergenhus in half.
I honestly think the wasteland should stay. While it's certainly possible to get from one side of the mountains to the other, it would be a attrition-filled, logistical nightmare to actually march an army across there in winter. Imagine trying to pull artillery through 2 metres of snow in -20 °C and strong winds; all of this without trees for wood :(
The wasteland can be reshaped, but I don't think an east-west connection is necessary. If you remove the physical connection between Bergenhus and Stavanger, and replace it with a strait across the Hardanger Fjord, the Hardanger province could work. I would still think Sogn would be a slightly better one, as Sogn og Fjordane has about 5x the population of Hardanger (today).

Also when I brought up Scanian, I was also thinking of it from a gameplay bonus to, Scanian as its own culture dissuades AI Sweden and AI Denmark from plowing all the way into each other
Well it's not as important now as it was when I first suggested it back before the culture change changes, back then you had to conquer all of denmark to culture convert scania from danish. It being Scanian would have made it possible to flip it to swedish without doing that.
Now days it's more of a cool thing.