• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magister Tremere

Sergeant
Mar 26, 2019
Like many here, I took the time to express my concerns about Bloodlines 2 being a solely first-person experience. Now, I'm hopeful that this issue is or could be addressed internally by Paradox Interactive. Here is a snippet of the dialogue I had with one of their representatives via Facebook...

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Yes, it is unfortunate, but it isn't just a question of appeal... I just can't tolerate playing in first-person for very long, so I tend to avoid such games. I really don't understand why there can't be an option for both. The fans are ready to pounce... Why alienate some when you can have them all?

Paradox Interactive responded with...
We of course have no wish to alienate players and we've been made aware that some physically are not able to enjoy first person due to motion sickness or similar.. I think at this point it might be a little late however I'd still urge you to make a post to our forums stating your concerns, it may still affect the game!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2.1039/

After this, I [again] expressed my appreciation for them taking the time to respond and that I was encouraged by the dialogue. I know that I can't speak for all fans of the game/IP, but I also mentioned that I was fairly certain that their fans wouldn't mind waiting over a longer development cycle if it meant that we would be seeing the game we know and love being *ALL* it can be. If we're going to take, we have to be willing to give as well. We waited this long for the news, I'm sure we wouldn't mind curbing our enthusiasm for a little while longer.

So I ask you all to join me... If you're a fan of the game and the IP, continue to make your concerns heard on the issue of including an option for a third-person perspective in Bloodlines 2. I'm sure that we all want to be invested in the storyline as well as the game play through the vision of our characters engaging with the environment. For some this can be had via a first-person perspective and for others (like myself), it'll require a step back.

"LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN KINDRED!"

P.S. I've included a link to a petition that was started to address this issue. Please take the time to add your name and voice.

https://www.change.org/p/hardsuit-l...ctive-to-add-3rd-person-view-for-bloodlines-2

Last edited:
I wouldn't place any money on it...

But it's a nice gesture from PDX, all the same.

Last edited:
This continues to affirm Paradox's involvement in their community but I am in agreement with @falconlord ... it seems the development cycle might be almost set in stone by this point, so my hopes will not be raised.

*nods* I agree that it all may be too far along to do anything about it before the launch date. Still, that doesn't mean we can't encourage them to address the issue at a later date... Say, via a patch or something. Admittedly, I'm no developer, so I can't speak with any authority on the subject, but as noted, it is encouraging to know that Paradox is listening. At the end of the day, the fact remains that some of their fans just won't be able to play the game if it remains a first-person "only" experience.

I don't think we should worry as much because of the third person lacking, at first i thought the same but we haven't even seen the gameplay yet and i'm sure third person was considered at some point in their development cycle, that gives me enough reason to calm down a bit.

We are actually getting somewhere, if they are paying attention. The petition jumped to close to 200 in a single day, I wish I could edit the main paragraph to include those who suffer from disabilities such as Kinetosis my wife actually suffers from this, but since she is not a gamer I never thought about how it could impair the experience for those who suffer form it.

Link to the petition below if the TC can do me a favor an edit the first post to include it.

https://www.change.org/p/hardsuit-l...ctive-to-add-3rd-person-view-for-bloodlines-2

My preference is always with a third person view in every situation except general dialogue scenes. I love having NPCs staring right down the barrel of the camera through the screen at you.

If for any reason there is the potential for them to implement a third person camera, it would be awesome.

My preference is always with a third person view in every situation except general dialogue scenes. I love having NPCs staring right down the barrel of the camera through the screen at you.

If for any reason there is the potential for them to implement a third person camera, it would be awesome.

This is how it was in the first game. It made sense then... It makes sense now!

...I know that I can't speak for all fans of the game/IP, but I also mentioned that I was fairly certain that their fans wouldn't mind waiting over a longer development cycle if it meant that we would be seeing the game we know and love being *ALL* it can be.

On this I can absolutely agree. I'm more than willing to wait for the new game if Paradox agrees to add a third-person option.

On this I can absolutely agree. I'm more than willing to wait for the new game if Paradox agrees to add a third-person option.

There are no losers in this... Unless it's done badly. :D *chuckles*

I understand that Hardsuit has always done first-person games which allows for some understanding of why they'd choose to go that route, but as I've alluded to here and in another forum, "This doesn't negate the fact that for some people, playing a game in first-person is a non-starter proposition."

Let's hope that ambition doesn't get in the way of good judgment.

Last edited:
Created an account just to comment xD
I avoid first person games like the plague because of the motion sickness. Coming from the first game and the table top one that originated it all, it breaks my heart that I won't be able to play it. I understand it might be too late but a later patch? A promise? I wouldn't mind waiting at all!
Really nice of them to respond thought. Gives me a bit of hope. ;w;

Created an account just to comment xD
I avoid first person games like the plague because of the motion sickness. Coming from the first game and the table top one that originated it all, it breaks my heart that I won't be able to play it. I understand it might be too late but a later patch? A promise? I wouldn't mind waiting at all!
Really nice of them to respond thought. Gives me a bit of hope. ;w;

I hear you and thanks for adding your voice to the cause!

It's nice that they acknowledge it, but it comes across as standard corporate PR speak to me. So I sincerely doubt anything will come of anything on these forums regardless of their legitimacy given we're just a year off from release. Though for those here who can't play due to what First Person does to them, I do hope that someday it gets addressed. If not by the company then at least by modders.

It's nice that they acknowledge it, but it comes across as standard corporate PR speak to me. So I sincerely doubt anything will come of anything on these forums regardless of their legitimacy given we're just a year off from release. Though for those here who can't play due to what First Person does to them, I do hope that someday it gets addressed. If not by the company then at least by modders.

You may very well be right... Still, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." Thanks for your comments!

And if worst comes to worst and the answer is 'no', 3rd person will probably be one of the first mods out there.

Hi Rivina! Thanks for chiming in. You know, honestly, I'm glad that this option is out there, but it is my hope that the developers take on this task. Modding, for all it's good will and benefit doesn't always allow people access to the inner workings of a game that would likely minimize the chance of introducing bugs. Of course I'd welcome the mod if it came to that (and it worked), but again, I'd much prefer that it be a task for the developer.

In my experience, I've seen others try and mod an FPS to play in third person. Suffice it to say that the mod introduced all kinds of issues. One of them being that shots fired by the player went backwards. Before you ask... :D *laughs*... No the shots didn't kill the player, but they didn't strike the enemy either. Maybe Bloodlines 2 will be different, but it's my hope that it never comes to this.

lol that must have been a sight. And yeah, I'm hoping we get Bethesda-level modding tools for the game and we can do all sorts of stuff like new quests/characters/etc

Indeed... We can hope! I'm just happy that they're going to allow it at all. Regardless of whether I end up purchasing the game, I'm such a fan of the game that I'd still wish the best for the developers and the fans who'd enjoy it as it is.

They probably had a motive for not including 3rd person. I don't know why, but a lot of RPGs lately are becoming 1st person solo... I love looking at my character from different angles. Anyways, I've signed the petition.

They probably had a motive for not including 3rd person. I don't know why, but a lot of RPGs lately are becoming 1st person solo... I love looking at my character from different angles. Anyways, I've signed the petition.

Way to go Bass! Thanks for lending your voice! I'm inclined to agree with you. Of course we don't know for certain what the motive is, but if I had to guess, I'd say (based on what I've read), the developers (Hardsuit Labs) are experienced in creating first-person games. Based on that, creating a third-person experience may be outside their capabilities. Of course I don't know this to be a fact, but judging by another game they worked on (Blacklight: Retribution), we can conclude that they have experience with FPS games. They're also a relatively new studio (2015), so who's to say what they're truly capable of?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.