• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will the next update or Urban Warfare fix the poor performance? I am running a high end desktop PC with a i7, and a 1080ti and the game's final mission chugs along at 20-30FPS even in low resolutions. I have played AAA games with extreme graphic settings in 4K that run better than this game does.

Bwahahahaha Awesome :D

oops
"Oops", like it wasn't on purpose. Here, take your Awesomeling ;)

Awesomeling.jpg

But that's enough derailment for one night; if anyone thinks this is fun enough, they might as well do a thread about ultralight versions of regular 'Mechs.

:D

Will the next update or Urban Warfare fix the poor performance? I am running a high end desktop PC with a i7, and a 1080ti and the game's final mission chugs along at 20-30FPS even in low resolutions. I have played AAA games with extreme graphic settings in 4K that run better than this game does.

I'm running an i7/1080ti combo with no real problems at 4k. It runs at a steady 50-60 fps in normal gameplay. In fairness i haven't checked it in the final mission.

Try launching the final mission 20-30 fps. Most missions involving buildings take a huge hit.
Hopefully the work they're doing for UW with proper implementation of buildings and their destruction will help with this.
Although I'd guess they have to retouch the campaign for this, dunno if replacing structures in finished content is a high priority for them or even in the realm of possibility.

Try launching the final mission 20-30 fps. Most missions involving buildings take a huge hit.

I have a 9900K @ 5.1GHz and an overclocked 2080 and I get anywhere between 60-100+ FPS in game at 3440x1440 resolution with max settings and gsync. Average is probably around 80-90 FPS, but it can spike up or down a fair amount depending on what's going on in the screen and what sort of map/weather there is. Unity is definitely not an optimized engine in terms of performance. I mean, I get similar FPS in Anthem with max settings and it has far more going on graphically.

So... why is the latest developer journal, by @HBS_Eck, on some random “gamedev” site and not here? We can’t even link to it because of paradox forum rules, it’s just awkward. Unless @TinyWiking wants to approve the URL maybe?

I’ve gotta keep my steady drip of Battletech news and dev journals coming to tide me by ‘til Urban Warfare, and it’s getting harder to know where to look for it: paradox forums, facebook, multiple twitter accounts, two discords (one or both may be unofficial?), gamedev, anywhere else? The paradox forums in particular have been real quiet lately in terms of dev posts. Take for example the whole discussion about pirate reputation changes in the last patch and the black market being all-but-broken by it; that seemed like a huge concern by a majority of players but there hasn’t been a peep about it, or about anything really, in the last month on these forums. The official Battletech accounts on both twitter and facebook have at least acknowledged being aware of that concern (it’s not clear who runs those accounts, though, or if the message ever got to the devs), and even those offered no feedback on if it is working as intended or is a mistake that will be addressed. Meanwhile this forum, which I would have thought would be the primary place to discuss such things, has been completely silent. What gives?

So... why is the latest developer journal, by @HBS_Eck, on some random “gamedev” site and not here? We can’t even link to it because of paradox forum rules, it’s just awkward. Unless @TinyWiking wants to approve the URL maybe?
Because it's a game dev journal about Eck's process as a tools developer, not necessarily a game dev journal about this game. That BattleTech is the game in question for this process is incidental.

I’ve gotta keep my steady drip of Battletech news and dev journals coming to tide me by ‘til Urban Warfare, and it’s getting harder to know where to look for it: paradox forums, facebook, multiple twitter accounts, two discords (one or both may be unofficial?)
There are no official discord channels for this game. At least, that I'm aware.
, gamedev, anywhere else? The paradox forums in particular have been real quiet lately in terms of dev posts. Take for example the whole discussion about pirate reputation changes in the last patch and the black market being all-but-broken by it; that seemed like a huge concern by a majority of players but there hasn’t been a peep about it, or about anything really, in the last month on these forums. The official Battletech accounts on both twitter and facebook have at least acknowledged being aware of that concern (it’s not clear who runs those accounts, though, or if the message ever got to the devs), and even those offered no feedback on if it is working as intended or is a mistake that will be addressed. Meanwhile this forum, which I would have thought would be the primary place to discuss such things, has been completely silent. What gives?
To paraphrase/mangle what Mitch has previously stated, HBS prefers for us to discuss ideas over them getting into the discussion and directing ideas to a preferred outcome. It allows for HBS to gauge the communities interest, thought processes, arguments for and against, and the current community opinions on topics. This was true backing during the backer beta, and it's true now.

Ecks Dev Blog

The only reason I have it on a different site is because it's something personal I'm working on in my free time (not at work) and on topics that strike my fancy as interesting. @stjobe is correct in that it isn't an official dev diary. The articles I'm writing are more geared towards the problem solving/software design side of things and I figured the only people that would be interested in it were modders and other game developers.

The gamedev site is a site dedicated to learning game development and I've been a member since about 2000. It's where I began my journey of becoming a game developer so it felt like it fit there. Plus I'm still #livingthedream and when it's all over I want to have some records I can look back on and relive the glory days. :)

I'm sorry to add yet another separate resource to check. I'll see if I can get permission to post a link here. I wonder if I already have permission? Here's a test: https://www.gamedev.net/blogs/entry/2267040-battletech-developer-journal-01/

By the way, awesome signature @HonorKnight . <3
- Eck

edit: It looks like I can post links? Can someone else see if they can click on that? If so then I'll make sure to post a link on the forum any time I write another one of these.

@HBS_Eck
I can see and click the link. I think the issue for links on this site is one of rules for what's allowed, not software permissions, unless there's something I'm unaware of with dev accounts.

Yeah it’s a paradox forum rule; I think TinyWiking has to approve any link to external sites to be in compliance with the rule. It’s usually enforced pretty strictly and quickly by the volunteer moderators who go through and remove links, but I doubt they’ll give a dev a hard time over it.

Last edited: