• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TinyWiking

Team Lead - Customer Support
Administrator
Paradox Staff
90 Badges
Jul 1, 2015
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Limited Collectors Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • PDXCON 2017 Gold Ticket holder
  • Haemimont Games Staff
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • IPO Investor
  • Eugen Systems Staff
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
If you are experiencing random crashes when the game was running fine in the past please check if you have a program called Citrix Workspace installed. At the moment this program is causing Unity to crash (randomly it seems) and the solution is to remove it from your computer.

• 7Like
Reactions:
The typical symptom is this crash at the very start of the game's output_log.txt :
Initialize engine version: 5.6.6f2 (6bac21139588)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Crash!!!
SymInit: Symbol-SearchPath: '.;D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines;D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32;SRV*C:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;', symOptions: 530
OS-Version: 10.0.17134 () 0x300-0x1
D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities.exe:Cities.exe (00007FF68B9D0000), size: 23814144 (result: 0), SymType: '-exported-', PDB: 'D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities.exe', fileVersion: 5.6.6.44065
If it gets past that stage the problem is elsewhere

UPDATE: there is a potential workaround, which at least one user has found gets around the problem:
https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...used-an-access-violation.556585/#post-3935722

Any confirmation from other affected users would be welcome.

• 2Like
Reactions:
If you are experiencing random crashes when the game was running fine in the past please check if you have a program called Citrix Workspace installed. At the moment this program is causing Unity to crash (randomly it seems) and the solution is to remove it from your computer.
Well, &#^$#@ me sideways. THAT'S what's kept me from loading it up for the past two days. I'd downloaded Citrix for work (and I couldn't make it work anyway). THANK YOU!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, &#^$#@ me sideways. THAT'S what's kept me from loading it up for the past two days. I'd downloaded Citrix for work (and I couldn't make it work anyway). THANK YOU!
Happy to hear it worked ;)! It's really weird though as Citrix doesn't have anything to do with Unity so I don't quite understand how or why it's causing issues :D!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Happy to hear it worked ;)! It's really weird though as Citrix doesn't have anything to do with Unity so I don't quite understand how or why it's causing issues :D!
I'm sure it's the virtual display device that Citrix installs. Unity tries to interpret that as a video card and cannot cope.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, the new Citrix Workspace installs itself as a virtual GPU at position 0, and Unity automatically selects the primary listed GPU. Since it's not a GPU, the game doesn't load.

(This is also why Unity doesn't always play nice with Nvidia Optimus and the AMD equivalent)

The Virtual GPU method was added in the Workspace version, you can use the old Citrix Reciever instead of Citrix Workspace if you need it for work. You'll find it here: https://www.citrix.com/downloads/citrix-receiver/

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The workaround in the thread I linked above allows use of Workspace without creating the virtual GPU , apparently.

Yea, that works too.
Just wanted to provide a second option for people who can't get that to work. (or don't want to use cmd. I've met quite a few people in my tech support days who found it too scary.) :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
OMG, you solved this problem perfectly! This has troubled me for months! I registered on this website, just to say thank you to you. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Happy to hear it worked :D! I'm amazing that Citrix hasn't actually done something about it though but well.... good things move slow :p!
IMO it's a Unity problem rather than a Citrix one, it needs to not get upset at a valid but unusual display device in the system.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I need to have the program Citrix Workspace on the computer due to the work. Is there any way to solve the problem without deleting Citrix?
See my post #2 above, that link has such a workaround in it. As also mentioned in posts #8 and #9!

• 1Like
Reactions:
that cmd to install citrix also works for citrixreceiver installer.
CitrixWorkspaceApp.exe ADDLOCAL=ReceiverInside,ICA_Client,AM,SELFSERVICE,DesktopViewer,Flash,Vd3d,WebHelper,BrowserEngine
CitrixReciever.exe ADDLOCAL=ReceiverInside,ICA_Client,AM,SELFSERVICE,DesktopViewer,Flash,Vd3d,WebHelper,BrowserEngine
So in case you still need to work from home with enjoying some games in the off time as well

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thankyou! This was the solution for my game crashing. Luckily I've got my work computer at home so I could delet Citrix Workspace on my home laptop. Back to building :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any fix for those of us who are unable to use the workaround because of work requirements? I hadn't played since I started working from home, I am stuck unable to play after buying up some DLC this weekend.

• 2Like
Reactions: