• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Western and Northern Norway

Augvalds Ætta

King Halv of Rogaland

Parents: king Hjørleiv Kvinnekjære (womanlover), and Hild Hognidottir of the king in Naumdalr
Siblings: Hjørulv
Children: king Hjør

Note: ancestor Augvald is father of Jøssur, father of Hjør, father of Hjørleiv
decendants: Hjør Halvsson, Flein, Hjør, Geirmund Heljarskinn.
King Halv was also king of the legendary Halvsrekkene (Halvs giants), a small group of warriors.
Killed by king Åsmund of Hordaland (southern part) by hall burning

Skilfings

King Alrek den Frøkne (brave)

Parents: Eirik Mjålspak (Vise)
Children: Vikar

Note: Vikar is father of Vatnar, father of Eirikr, father of Gyda, wife of Harald Fairhair.

Kings of Sogn

king Vedmund

Parents: king Vegard
Children king Vemund the Old

Kings of Raumdalir

king Tololf Halm

Parents: Knøtt
Siblings: Store(big)-Kjetil

Nordmæri and Sunnmæri lack sources and remaines as holes, but Siggar is a last king of Nordmæri and Naumdalir during this point. He is son of Grjotgard.

Håløyge Ætta

Harald Trondsson, Jarl of Naumdal (added) and (inherrited) Håleygaland.

Parents: Trond
Spouse: Sygnyjar, daughter of king Siggar of Nordmæri (last in a line)
Children: Herlaug Jarl

Note: Herlaug is father to Grjotgard, father of the first jarls of Hladir Håkon.

Af Heidmark

King Anund of Inntrøndelog

Parents: King Eystein of Heidmark

Note: was killed and replaced with a dog

Uttrøndelog don't have much from the sagas at this point.

Should Tsafed/Safed/Safet be Jewish culturally/religiously? I'm not 100% sure but they held pretty strongly to their religion throughout the ages
Safed itself was small and relatively unimportant until the 15th century, when exiled Sephardi rabbis settled it and it became a major rabbinical center.
Tiberias, however, was a major and influential Jewish community until the 10th century. Willibald noted in 723 that the city has "many churches and synagogues"; Michael the Syrian wrote that in 748, 30 synagogues were destroyed in a fire; and in the 9th century, they reportedly elected their own Exilarch after an argument with the Babylonian community.
That said, the Tiberian Jews probably didn't have the majority in the entire province.

Part of Persia
Political
Screenshot-129.png
Religious
Screenshot-130.png

Can we get a wide overview of the map?

@Harald Fairhair I finally got some time to sit down and hopefully get some more of this done. I'm having a little trouble understanding something though. What dynasty are the kings of Heidmark and Gudbrandsdalir?
You could say "af Heidmark", the reason is because the sagas do not give the kings of Heidmark a dynasti name. Or you could also name them Eysteinning, useally the norse name dynasties after the founder with a "ing" or "ung" endings.

How are things going with updating the mod to the new version?

Slow down there buckaroo, this mod isn't even properly released yet!:)

For anyone who has access to Featured Ruler, the current featured ruler forces HIP to load up a slightly randomized version of 769! If none of the devs/main contributors have access to it, let me know, I'll upload a save file of it somewhere in case it proves to be useful at all. :)

Though I'd check in. I'm working like 13 hours a day now. Not sure when it'll let up. What I have works fine with the new version, but some of the history that was changed won't be reflected. This mod is very specific and if you're not planning on a 769 start then you could just as well disable it, in which case the those history changes won't matter much. Not sure when I'll have time to sit down to work on it. Its a bear, but it will get done. Could really use history editors... :rolleyes:

Would it be worth updating the first post as you work on the various regions and stuff gets changed/switched around?

Also, what's the decision behind making greater Austria West-Slavic as opposed to South-Slavic?

Last edited:
Would it be worth updating the first post as you work on the various regions and stuff gets changed/switched around?

Also, what's the decision behind making greater Austria West-Slavic as opposed to South-Slavic?

The Slavs who first settled Austria and Slovenia (whom the Slovenians of today are descended from) came from Moravia and even today it seems that genetically Slovenians have more in common with West-Slavs than South-Slavs. Their language however over time became more like that of their South-Slav neighbors after the Germanization of Austria in the 9th and 10th centuries and the Magyarization of the Pannonian Plain in the 10th and 11th centuries broke their direct link to their West-Slav neighbors, and even then it has a lot of commonalities with West-Slavic languages.

The Slavs who first settled Austria and Slovenia (whom the Slovenians of today are descended from) came from Moravia and even today it seems that genetically Slovenians have more in common with West-Slavs than South-Slavs. Their language however over time became more like that of their South-Slav neighbors after the Germanization of Austria in the 9th and 10th centuries and the Magyarization of the Pannonian Plain in the 10th and 11th centuries broke their direct link to their West-Slav neighbors, and even then it has a lot of commonalities with West-Slavic languages.
Huh, TIL

I took a look at Egypt's setup and only changed a few things around. Records of the few centuries following the Muslim conquest of Egypt are scarce or deceptive for one reason or another (e.g. many Copts began to take Arab names making contemporary tax receipts nearly useless when it comes to determining religious/cultural demographics). The general consensus among those who have written about the topic seems to be that it would take around two centuries after the Muslim conquest until the "true" Arabization and Islamization of Egypt began, although efforts to do so began much earlier. In the early 8th century, the Umayyad caliphs moved Arab colonists into Egypt and made efforts to make Egypt's administrative class more Arab which would very likely make all Egyptian landholders in 769 that matter (in CK2) Muslim and Misri.

coptic_provinces.png

c_delta (Dimyat):
Changed from Misri and Sunni to Coptic and Miaphysite. While I couldn't find any solid info on Muslim settlment here during this time period, the rural land in this area most certainly would've been almost completely owned by Copts.

c_manupura (Manuf):
Changed from Misri and Sunni to Coptic and Miaphysite. Same justification as c_delta

c_fayyum:
Changed from Bedouin to Coptic. Same justification as c_delta. Papyrological evidence shows a persistent Coptic community in Fayyum in the 8th and 9th centuries.

c_itfih:
Changed from Misri and Sunni to Coptic and Miaphysite. A Christian community persisted within the region though of changes I've made, this is the one I'm least confident about.

c_bahnasa:
Changed from Misri and Sunni to Coptic and Miaphysite. Oxyrhynchus (the Greco-Roman name of the province) was a wealthy city of native landholders that was abandoned after the conquest. Don't see any evidence of Muslim settlement or resettlement in this area during this period

Giza and Cairo were kept Misri and Sunni as they constituted the major Muslim urban centres of the day. I did not change Bilbays, Ushmun Tanah and Quzlum because 1: Bilbays is specifically referenced in early relocation of Arabs in Egypt by the Caliph and 2: Copts never had a particularly strong presence around the Sinai Peninsula. There are a lot of anachronistic or ahistorical Egyptian baronies in HIP's set-up such as Qalaat Al-Gindi (Founded by Salah Ad-Din) and Mansura (Founded during the 7th Crusade), but I found that if you begin to remove them you end up with barren provinces with few historical barony replacements.

P.S.: If you need help with history modding, I've got a whole lot of free time on my hands.

Last edited: