• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, that was a surprise. I certainly didn't think I would end up a character in this, especially one that is the opposite of my support for using nukes to try and wrap the war up. :rolleyes:
I am interested in what the character will do next. I certainly hope he condemns the secession of the western states. That is so dumb and can only lead to ruin for those states.
The military take and oath to protect and defend the United States and the constitution. Loyalty to an individual state has not been a major point for citizens for a long time, as Americans have become such a mobile people. Of course there are always some people that will be opposed to the federal government. :( So, I don't think there would be much, if any, defections in the military. It would be highly unlikely for the senior officer and enlisted, who have spent many years in their nation's service.
I think it was more of their opposition to Eternien than their loyalty to their states. The military takes an oath to defend the United States and constitution, not to the president. They could be justifying their rebellion this way, by saying Eternien is an illegitimate president who is trampling on the constitution.

Phoenix’s men constantly urged him to run for president, but he reminded them they still had a war to fight, and he was going to win it before considering a campaign.

He quite plainly said that to run now, from half a world away, would do more harm than good for the Democratic process, as it would split the anti-republican vote even further.

Phoenix liked what Forster had to say, though he was in no position to share his ideas right now. In any event, Ellie shared Phoenix’s views, and in one of her columns she offered an endorsement to his campaign.

She was the most influential writer of her time, and her work for democracy and the United States was rewarded in later life by as many awards as the nation had to give.

Ellie cast her vote on Election Day, for Forster of course. She and her friends watched the results come in later that day, all predicting Forster’s victory. When she heard angry shouts and breaking glass coming from outside, she knew something had gone wrong. She gathered her family and immediately sent them away to Britain, staying behind to continue her work.

TBC phoned her in a huff to demand her to leave the east coast before she was imprisoned by the government. Her responce, which TBC wrote down and she later corroborated, passed into national legend. In plain terms, she said she would leave when the nation collapsed, not before.

Just five days later, chaos engulfed the west. There were conflicting reports of what happened. Some said Sancronis had declared California an independent nation, while others thought he had established a rival government led by him and Forster. Whatever the case, California was now in open rebellion, and most of its National Guard units had gone with it. Many in the east had taken to calling the new faction the Republic of Deseret.

When she heard the other western states had joined California, taking their National Guard Units with them, Ellie knew this was no stunt. She quickly made her way to California, which was apparently easier than she expected, as the “border” between the two factions was ill-defined and the east was in a state of disorder and panic following the secessions.

She was aided by two female agents sent by Titus to ensure her safe passage. Annie and Hannah Burton would go on to serve as her bodyguards for the rest of her life.

Ellie didn’t listen to Eternien’s speech. That man had gone mad.

TBC however, did, and took note. 'History is rarely paletable. I refuse to ignore that odious man. He must be recognised, met and crushed, not left alone to his mischief.'

Following TBC’s address to the people, Ellie made her own TV appearance, buying half an hour on all major news networks.

This was in keeping with their plan to speak to the men and women of the nation. Over time however, their speeches became far more inclusive of both genders and all races, in recognition of the worth of all amercians, not merely the white middle classes of the east.

Her speech would also be transmitted over radio and transcribed by major newspapers to reach the biggest audience. It was similar to TBC’s in content: a strong stance against nuclear weapons and a call for Eternien to step down, for the sake of the nation and its people. Following her address, she settled into her temporary home in San Francisco and waited for the next shot to be fired.

She, at first unofficially, and then officially became part of the inner circle of Deseret along with TBC. She was not the only woman, three female senators sat with them, but she was the only 'civillian'.

I think it was more of their opposition to Eternien than their loyalty to their states. The military takes an oath to defend the United States and constitution, not to the president. They could be justifying their rebellion this way, by saying Eternien is an illegitimate president who is trampling on the constitution.

I retired after 20 years in the Army, so I do not think that is how it would be looked at. Also, there are the Joint Chiefs of Staff who actually control the military. They may not support the President, but they would not rebel when the country is in a war that could cause the destruction of the world.

I retired after 20 years in the Army, so I do not think that is how it would be looked at. Also, there are the Joint Chiefs of Staff who actually control the military. They may not support the President, but they would not rebel when the country is in a war that could cause the destruction of the world.
I personally think this whole civil war situation, while interesting from an RP/gameplay perspective, is quite unrealistic. The states wouldn't dare secede, even under a president as unpopular as Eternien, and especially when their goal is to see Eternien removed. The National Guard units joining forces with their states is equally unrealistic. The Joint Chiefs would not even attempt a coup, let alone outright rebel. The rule of law and civilian control over the military are both firmly established in the US, which means anything resembling a military coup or major rebellion in a developing country would be next to impossible in the US.

I personally think this whole civil war situation, while interesting from an RP/gameplay perspective, is quite unrealistic. The states wouldn't dare secede, even under a president as unpopular as Eternien, and especially when their goal is to see Eternien removed. The National Guard units joining forces with their states is equally unrealistic. The Joint Chiefs would not even attempt a coup, let alone outright rebel. The rule of law and civilian control over the military are both firmly established in the US, which means anything resembling a military coup or major rebellion in a developing country would be next to impossible in the US.

Yeah I would agree. I didn't see thid coming because...well, it's really hard to see how it could happen. You'd have to have a really unpopular government as a whole attacking civillian populations on home soil with napalm or something and the gloating about it on live tv to get this kind of reaction. It's not really possible legally to seceed without a big war and the only way the US is losing that fight is if everyone leaves...at which point, why don't they just rush washington and lynch the current administration?

This is why TBC is astounded that this happened at all and why I wrote him as both shocked numb by it and disbelieving that a true armed conflict could break out. He, like almost everyone else in-universe I bet, sees the Deseret as a poltcial movement in the US not an indepdant nation...cos that's somewhat ridiculous especially at a time of world war. Who the hell is going to be fighting on the side of the mad Republican president but equally who is going to take up arms against a peaceful civillian population compeltly innocent of aby wrong doing?

At this point, if the US here is anything like the real US, Congress and the rest of the government body would step in and force the president out. Independance and civil war is a step too far however. Not unless the president has an army on the east coast that is not only loyal to him personally but is willing to gun down enough of their own people to insight such a war.

Glad to see the revolution has finally come! Although maybe that's just because I like watching stuff burn. Are the rebels and government both democratic?

Also, very honoured to give my name to the source of American instability :)

Glad to see the revolution has finally come! Although maybe that's just because I like watching stuff burn. Are the rebels and government both democratic?

Mm. Well I think it's implied both are democratic but...well, its war and a weird alliance. I can see communists taking over. Probably not fascists but who knows?

Yeah I would agree. I didn't see thid coming because...well, it's really hard to see how it could happen. You'd have to have a really unpopular government as a whole attacking civillian populations on home soil with napalm or something and the gloating about it on live tv to get this kind of reaction. It's not really possible legally to seceed without a big war and the only way the US is losing that fight is if everyone leaves...at which point, why don't they just rush washington and lynch the current administration?

This is why TBC is astounded that this happened at all and why I wrote him as both shocked numb by it and disbelieving that a true armed conflict could break out. He, like almost everyone else in-universe I bet, sees the Deseret as a poltcial movement in the US not an indepdant nation...cos that's somewhat ridiculous especially at a time of world war. Who the hell is going to be fighting on the side of the mad Republican president but equally who is going to take up arms against a peaceful civillian population compeltly innocent of aby wrong doing?

At this point, if the US here is anything like the real US, Congress and the rest of the government body would step in and force the president out. Independance and civil war is a step too far however. Not unless the president has an army on the east coast that is not only loyal to him personally but is willing to gun down enough of their own people to insight such a war.

I've been rethinking the future of the AAR a lot since I wrote the last 2 chapters. I really have been wanting another Civil War, but I've also been aiming for more realism (not sure if I achieved it ever in this AAR haha). I'll be going over what I've planned for the remaining chapters and changing some stuff up!

Both are democratic. For now.

Mm. Well I think it's implied both are democratic but...well, its war and a weird alliance. I can see communists taking over. Probably not fascists but who knows?

Communism under performed for this entire AAR... The few communist nations that did exist have since been invaded by other nations (Georgia, Benin, Aquitaine). There may be one or two small island nations that are still communist.

I've been rethinking the future of the AAR a lot since I wrote the last 2 chapters. I really have been wanting another Civil War, but I've also been aiming for more realism (not sure if I achieved it ever in this AAR haha). I'll be going over what I've planned for the remaining chapters and changing some stuff up!

I do like the idea of a proper utopian uprising of amazing people kicking the poo out of dem corrupt politicians and establishing heaven on earth but y'know, it is a little fanservicy. Still cool if we all come together and pull it off but even under an enlightened rule of President Zen and co. there will still be great issues that need long term solutions and difficult choices. That nucluer agreement is going to be next to impossible to sort out peacefully now everyone has used them liberally, yet they must come to an agreement soon. If there was such a thing as the UN it would be easier but I'm not sure such a body would exist in this universe, not with so many empires. I don't know...thoughts everyone?

You know what they say, the difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense.:p Realism aside, I'd like to see where we go from here.
I do like the idea of a proper utopian uprising of amazing people kicking the poo out of dem corrupt politicians and establishing heaven on earth but y'know, it is a little fanservicy. Still cool if we all come together and pull it off but even under an enlightened rule of President Zen and co. there will still be great issues that need long term solutions and difficult choices. That nucluer agreement is going to be next to impossible to sort out peacefully now everyone has used them liberally, yet they must come to an agreement soon. If there was such a thing as the UN it would be easier but I'm not sure such a body would exist in this universe, not with so many empires. I don't know...thoughts everyone?
I mean, the League of Nations was created from a bunch of weak democracies and colonial powers, and America didn't join it. But then again that was one of the reasons it collapsed. A League of Nations equivalent is technically still possible, but a full-fledged UN is unlikely.

Yeah but we really need a proper anti nuclear league at the very least, and it has to be at the national level.

Honestly...we'd have to have a league of nations where liberal democracy, somewhat okay republics and problematic but friendly empires meet and look awkwardly at each other. So long as we have the anglo alliance and a nuclear treaty, it doesnt really matter and hoepfully a UN can emerge in time but...yeah, the post war period is going to see war everywhere not affected so far and probably violent decolonisation too. yay.

Chapter 21 - Jul 1946: The War's End

"I speak to all Americans. The coming weeks will prescribe the future of our country. We, distracted by the War, allowed a despot to seize the reigns of liberty and determine our destiny. I say now: this cannot stand. I implore the states to join together against the evil that sits in the Oval Office, that holds on to the power it so selfishly abuses, and to restore the freedom this nation was founded upon. It is not the death and destruction of the loyal states that is sought, but the reuniting of the country under justice and liberty for all."

-Governor Sancronis

Sancronis and Forster (who departed Florida to aid in Sancronis' efforts) know that Deseret does not stand a chance against the real might of the US military, but they hope that the prospect of war will be enough to sway Eternien to give up his presidency. As the rebels prepare for possible annihilation, Eternien's administration is flooded with telegrams from allied nations, urging the president to peacefully give up his power. The Teutons, Great Britain, and many of the small (non-puppet) nations threaten to withdraw from the war if Eternien is to remain president after the election scandal. The UBP even offers him sanctuary if he relinquishes the office.

On July 25th, the House of Representatives (of the remaining states) vote nearly unanimously to impeach the President, and the citizens of America rejoice at the news. It is the most unity ever shown in the US. But Eternien has no desire to leave the Oval Office. He denies the validity of the vote. However, he put too much trust into the loyalty of his Secret Service to him rather than to their country. He is put under arrest and taken to a holding cell in the Dover police station to await his trial.

The National Guards units stand down and the seceding states rejoin the Union. After months of riots and a week long standoff in the west, Eternien is no longer in power. His vice president, a slightly more reasonable man named William Howard Kaft, is made interim-president for the duration of the trial and the revote. He states he is willing to remain in the position if voted in by the people, and the redo election is held on July 29th.

The candidates are much the same, with Sancronis (now with 40% estimated support), Forster (46%), and Kaft (10%) being the only viable candidates. On July 30th, Maximus Forster is named the victor, and it is the end of the Eternien Administration. He immediately puts his policies in place: maximum effort will be shown to the war to get it ended as quickly as possible; and he approaches Kornilov and China with a joint decree that will stop the use of nukes for the remainder of the War.

To get his first policy going, an invasion of East China from the Philippines is planned by General Zen. The country's capital of Manila is still in ruins from the nuclear attack, so, in Operation Rising Sun, the invading forces (made up of the marines who secured East Indochina, and reinforced by troops from Terres du Nord, Canada, and Haiti) will set sail from the Port of Vigan to the north. China originally kept the east coast fairly well guarded, but, with the advances made by the US to the south and west, the troops there have been redeployed. A landing on the east coast will ease up defense in the south as China struggles to fight a two 3 front war. The invasion date is set to August 10th. Several scientists warn Forster and Zen that landing near Fujian so soon after a nuclear strike could have unknown effects on the troops, but the weakened region will be an easy target, so the plans are kept.

IA5EaIJ.png

As for the second, Kornilov declines to sign any joint agreement with the US, and a theory forms that he and China are holding onto their nukes to use as a last stand weapon if defeat is imminent.

Russia begins showing fierce resistance once more, and Operation Hangman is planned. Russia will be allowed to push the US and UBP lines back in Central Russia, making them think they have the Anglos on the run. When they have successfully overextended themselves, UBP troops from the north will push east as US troops from the east will push north, cutting off the advancing Russian troops. When the plans are finished, it is put into effects. While this was happening, Russian Western Asia is fully occupied, capturing tens of thousands of Stali troops.

2su3fvC.png

The first of the troops make land on the 10th and meet light resistance. The beaches are quickly captured. The Marines are split into two; one, led by General Anguish, will move down the coast to take ports and break China's supply lines, while the other, led by General Jabby, will go north towards China's capital of Hangzhou.

VnLyTTG.png

The noose begins to close for real on the 15th of August. Russian troops pursue the 'fleeing' American and Baltic troops hundreds of miles before Russia realizes the play. The pincers nearly close, but several thousand Russians fight bravely to keep the road into the pocket open by holding onto the town of Troitsko-Pechorsk. They allow tens of thousands to escape capture.

a5mchy7.png

The trial of Eternien begins on the 17th, and crowds and press surround the courthouse, eager to get a look at the disgraced former president. A few anti-war protesters show up, but what with the madhouse that the streets of Dover are in wake of the trial, their message is not heard. The trial comes to a close a few days later, and Eternien is found guilty of manipulation of votes during an election. He's given only 10 years of house arrest, which enrages some. Nevertheless, the mess that was the Eternien Administration is history now, and all that must be done before the rebuilding of the world is the defeat of the Stali Pact.

Air raids over Russia increase, as new jet reconnaissance planes reveal that Russia still has an estimated 4 nuclear bombs. Their new capital of Magdagachi is hit, as are many of their other industrial cities. With the capture of airfields in Eastern China, a bombing campaign of eastern and northern China begins.

As September begins, the push to China's capital proves easy, and the small Chinese garrisons are tossed aside in wake of the Anglo forces. In the south, heavy resistance is met as Hong Kong is captured. The defensive Chinese troops in Indochina appear to have moved with much haste to stop the US advance in the east.

ZVysXBM.png

The town of Troitsko-Pechorsk is surrounded on the 3rd, and the rope is pulled around the surrounded troops in the pockets. What will become known as Troitsko's Final Stand comes to an end on the 6th after holding out against 10:1 odds for several weeks. Inside the pocket is the main Russian Army of Rodina, a good 500 thousand men.

9xbW3hx.png

Several attempts to break through are defeated, and all 500 thousand enemy troops surrender. It's the largest troop surrender of modern history, and it does a lot to boost morale stateside. The loss of half a million men cripples the Russian ground forces, and the Anglo troops flood into Eastern Russia uncontested.

HTKHxsC.png

October brings with it word that General Jabby has reached the Chinese capital. An extremely loyal unit of special forces soldiers hold it, willing to all die rather than surrender, and the he finds they cannot take the city without huge loss of life. For now, he holds. Meanwhile, 25 fresh divisions led by General Idhrendur land near Fujian and push into the heart of China. General Anguish has been slowed down significantly in his march south, but progress is still slowly made.

MB5xNAY.png

In the last days of the Russian Empire, priority is given to preventing any more nuclear strikes. Air superiority is paramount, and there are constantly planes in the skies across Asia and Europe. The air strikes against Russia are estimated to have destroyed at least 2 of their nukes, while the number of Chinese nukes is still unknown.

KMFmpBr.png

On October 8th, US troops see Lake Issyk Kul in Russian Central Asia. It's a beautiful place with sand beaches and snow-capped mountains in the distance. The locals are somewhat cold towards them, but there is no lack of supplies in the US army. They stop for the night along the southern coast and make camp. The 687th Infantry Division's 2nd battalion sets up a baseball diamond with makeshift bases and homemade wooden bats, and a friendly game is begun between two of the companies. It's a chilly night, but the game keeps the men warm.

6U06dv1.jpg

Lake Issyk Kul

A jeep with 5 men skids into the clearing, completely interrupting the game, and the angry players shout and spit at the newcomers from 1st bat. "It's over!" one of the first bat men shouts, jumping out of the jeep.

"The game's not over, wait your goddamn turns! We haven't been playing even 5 minutes yet," said the batter Johnson, walking up and holding the bat back threateningly. They have not stopped on flat grounds perfect for baseball in quite a while, and the men love baseball.

"No, no, to hell with the baseball. Kornilov's dead! Russia's had enough, they're done!" Johnson drops the bat and it hits the dirt.

As the US troops raced toward the capital, they found the enemy simply fleeing, rather than fighting. The morning of the 8th is when a telegram from the Russian government-- not Kornilov --arrived, surrendering unconditionally to the Anglo Alliance. No one is quite sure what happened to Kornilov, but rumors circulate among the troops that he killed himself when a spy of his told him his own party was planning on ousting him and handing him over to the Americans.

China is now surrounded on all sides like a cornered lion. Their only ally left, Korea, surrenders on the 10th instead of continuing to fight a lost cause. Now China is left alone against the world, their capital under siege and a seemingly endless supply of enemies pushing through their lands from all directions.

The last member of the great Stali Pact surrenders on the 14th of October. The War of the World is over.

mxkFEOW.jpg

I like the maps. How'd you do them?

"I speak to all Americans. The coming weeks will prescribe the future of our country. We, distracted by the War, allowed a despot to seize the reigns of liberty and determine our destiny. I say now: this cannot stand. I implore the states to join together against the evil that sits in the Oval Office, that holds on to the power it so selfishly abuses, and to restore the freedom this nation was founded upon. It is not the death and destruction of the loyal states that is sought, but the reuniting of the country under justice and liberty for all."

-Governor Sancronis

'We are all waiting. There are three blockades in the way now, for I am quite sure the Court and Congress are on our side. The first is the president himself...a man I once served under. The man who in fact gave me most of my promotions and projects. Was he always this way? Could I, should I have sensed some madness within him before? I do not know.

The second obstacle are his toadies in the military high command who signed off on those last few bomb drops and God knows what else besides. None of the gases we've created have left their secure compounds as of yet but there are other weapons I would not trust in my own hands, let alone theirs.

Third is the man holding the president's whip. Hoover, the man in black that runs Dover like a big time gangster. How many thousands of americans have been ruined by that man. How much terror has he personally directly unleashed? Before this is all over, the president musr be impeached. The generals imprisoned. But him? He needs to be shot. Possibly before anything else happens. It gives me pause to so eagerly sign off on another man's death but I refuse to lie in my own record. I signed away his life and by God, I wish it had come sooner.'

The Teutons, Great Britain, and many of the small (non-puppet) nations threaten to withdraw from the war if Eternien is to remain president after the election scandal. The UBP even offers him sanctuary if he relinquishes the office.

'I have heard conflicting rumour that the UBP either wish to reward him for his efforts after the nuclear blast or to kill him themselves for much the same reason. These days it is difficult to know what to think or who to trust.'

On July 25th, the House of Representatives (of the remaining states) vote nearly unanimously to impeach the President,

'The House went in to sit the day after Hoover's car had an unfortunate accident and went careening off the road at high speed. It then caught fire and perhaps exploded, since there is very little evidence left in the ashes of the wreckage. Being burnt to death was too good for the man but I suspect the bullets did him in before that. A pity. A pity?

My word, what has this war brought us to?'

However, he put too much trust into the loyalty of his Secret Service to him rather than to their country. He is put under arrest and taken to a holding cell in the Dover police station to await his trial.

'Fascinating how much loyalty a man has once his tools of control evaporate. His little band of bought men in the Army and Navy have been headed off. Two have committed suicide (though, of course, how true that is...debatable) and the rest are in custody. We may yet get the whole sorry tale of corruption, nepotism and moral degeneracy out of this sticky situation. I hope so. Harsh truths make for better lessons learnt, and i pity the poor man who has to try to de-toxify the whole concept of government after this.'

The National Guards units stand down and the seceding states rejoin the Union. After months of riots and a week long standoff in the west, Eternien is no longer in power.

'We stood down today, both I as provisional army head and the governer as chief rebel. I have never been more releived to be out of work. As I recall in the heady celebrations afterwards, we and everyone else involved in the so-called Deseret Circle held a private discussion where weeks and months of tension relieved themsevles in tears and sobs. Happy and sad.

It is both a terrible and wonderful time to be alive.'

-TBC, US citizen

The candidates are much the same, with Sancronis (now with 40% estimated support), Forster (46%), and Kaft (10%) being the only viable candidates. On July 30th, Maximus Forster is named the victor, and it is the end of the Eternien Administration.

A great relief poured over the nation and much of the world. A feeling of 'things would be alright now' or perhaps 'things would be alright again'. Whilst Mrs Zen lead a news story congratulating the return of democracy, TBC pulled the new president aside.

"I'm sorry, Max. But you need to come with me."

he approaches Kornilov and China with a joint decree that will stop the use of nukes for the remainder of the War.

The two men drove along a desert road until finally stopping at a dark warehouse.

"So this is where they set you all up?" Forster asked.

"Yes," TBC said. "Many months ago your predecessor was here, and I showed and told him the same things you now need to know."

They walked inside. One man was becoming increasingly nervous. The other looked far more worn down than he had in weeks.

"We didn't just make the nukes and jets," TBC said, stopping at a table and taking out a file from a hidden safe. "We were told to make anything that would give us an advantage. And we did. We've made gases that are hundreds of times worse than anything seen in the trenches. We've built machines that seed the atmosphere and water of a country with deadly poisons and fertility ending compounds. Fire you can pour like liquid and sticks like jam. And..." he pulled out the last document, "bombs. Far worse than the ones we have now. Bigger too. Put simply, if you wanted a country, continent or perhaps even a hemisphere wiped clean of life, we could provably do it with the contents of this paper. That is the Doomsday Project. This is our best and worst secret."

Forster was silent. The minutes ticked by. The president's watch seemed to be a few seconds slower than TBC's. Finally, hoarsley, the other man spoke. "What...what are we to do with all this?"

TBC looked down at the folder. It was the question everyone here had been pondering for as long as it had become clear exactly how destructive humanity was becoming. "We need to keep going," he said, heavily, like he was tearing out his own organs. "We can't stop now. The world is past the point where nukes and their like are never used
Now we have to stay up to date on these Weapons of Mass Destruction, because now the world knows they exist..."

"Everyone will make them," Forster closed his eyes. "Dear God." Suddenly the General's anti-nuclear rhetoric made that much more sense. For in a world as thet were now in, the entire world had to collectively decide to carry on living. That was the power, and the terror, of such weapons. Anyone could end the world.

"We need to stop using the bomb. And we need to get everyone else to agree to never use them again. Ever." TBC banged his fist on the table.

"I agree." The president was quiet again for a while before looking up at the other man. "It will not be easy. But we will do it. I'm curious though, what would happen if I needed to order another bombing?"

TBC stood rigid for a few moments. "I'd shoot you, orders and honour be damned. I will not allow another nuclear war for as long as there is breath in my body."

Forster nodded, no longer wondering why the formerly banished general had come to this place armed. "I see." He turned to face the other man. "To be honest, whilst I was not expecting this, you have not suprised me."

"Sir?" TBC frowned.

"The truth is, there is a crisis of faith in the insituation of goverment. No one trusts he US and frabkyl i don't blame them. But we need them to, both our allies and our citizens. And at a time of war, we need our best focused on getting the job done and in such a way that we do not bring disaster and ruin upon us all. My cabinet and I are in agreement, as is Congress, for once..."

"Forgive me but I don't understand?"

"We need to replace pretty much the entire senior command of the army, most of the navy and so much more besides. We need people the public and the troops trust to go into these postions. And I'd like you to assume command of the Army in the current war. In practice at this stage that means running damage control with our allies and coordinating the our final campaigns with the other branches of the military and our allies of course."

"Poster boy for the new regime, is it?" TBC said dubiously.

"Perhaps a little," the president grinned, "but we really do need every little bit of support we can get right now. Plus," he waved his hand, "honestlt? Who else can I trudt with the keys to this place? And everytjign else we've cooked up? We're going to have enough issues purging the government of stooges and other bad eggs without having to worry about the war effort and all this world ending stuff. I hate to say it but, your country needs you, desperately."

"Hmpf," TBC said, walking out of the building, "fine. But expect Khaine and Zen to be pissed when they get back."

"Khaine's in Dover now. He's being kicked upstairs too. And Zen...well, something tells me he was gunning for my job anyway. At least I took out his running mate."

'Now i know you're joking."

"Give it ten years."

"...I hope we have that many."

Several scientists warn Forster and Zen that landing near Fujian so soon after a nuclear strike could have unknown effects on the troops, but the weakened region will be an easy target, so the plans are kept.

This does raise the point as to when the cancers and stuff start to get noticed. Especially in UBP???

As for the second, Kornilov declines to sign any joint agreement with the US, and a theory forms that he and China are holding onto their nukes to use as a last stand weapon if defeat is imminent.

Imagine if he held the last few russian cities hostage. Millions of people dead.

The trial of Eternien begins on the 17th, and crowds and press surround the courthouse, eager to get a look at the disgraced former president. A

How the tables turn.

The trial comes to a close a few days later, and Eternien is found guilty of manipulation of votes during an election. He's given only 10 years of house arrest, which enrages some. Nevertheless, the mess that was the Eternien Administration is history now, and all that must be done before the rebuilding of the world is the defeat of the Stali Pact.

To be fair, if he was put in prison he'd probably be assasinated by someone. And the government needs him done and gone quick, cos they have thousands of other people to screen and clear before anyone is going to trust Dover again.

Russia still has an estimated 4 nuclear bombs.

Oh dear.

Several attempts to break through are defeated, and all 500 thousand enemy troops surrender. It's the largest troop surrender of modern history, and it does a lot to boost morale stateside. The loss of half a million men cripples the Russian ground forces, and the Anglo troops flood into Eastern Russia uncontested.

Well, that should be that.

The air strikes against Russia are estimated to have destroyed at least 2 of their nukes, while the number of Chinese nukes is still unknown.

Yup, that should do it then.

On October 8th, US troops see Lake Issyk Kul in Russian Central Asia.

"No, no, to hell with the baseball. Kornilov's dead! Russia's had enough, they're done!" Johnson drops the bat and it hits the dirt.

Ah, victory at any price.

The morning of the 8th is when a telegram from the Russian government-- not Kornilov --arrived, surrendering unconditionally to the Anglo Alliance. No one is quite sure what happened to Kornilov, but rumors circulate among the troops that he killed himself when a spy of his told him his own party was planning on ousting him and handing him over to the Americans.

The last member of the great Stali Pact surrenders on the 14th of October. The War of the World is over.

My goodness that was a rough few years for the nation and world. I look forward to seeing the followup stuff.

At last, peace. We only wait for the fallout...

Won't lie, I feel bad for Eternien. He clearly lost it towards the end, but most of his actions really were just to try and bring about peace.

Also, I must mention it: I am so happy General Anguish is a thing, happy to be a part of the inadvertent edgelord of the war. :p

Won't lie, I feel bad for Eternien. He clearly lost it towards the end, but most of his actions really were just to try and bring about peace.

Also, I must mention it: I am so happy General Anguish is a thing, happy to be a part of the inadvertent edgelord of the war. :p

Mm. It remains to be seen whether he was a figurehead or criminal mastermind. Someone was clearly doing something very rotten in Dover though.

We got a good variety of generals out of this part didnt we? Now the US has to win the peace with no confidence in the government but lots of popular support for several war heroes. Congress might be dominated by these guys for a decade, if they do decide to jump into politics.

On July 25th, the House of Representatives (of the remaining states) vote nearly unanimously to impeach the President, and the citizens of America rejoice at the news. It is the most unity ever shown in the US. But Eternien has no desire to leave the Oval Office. He denies the validity of the vote. However, he put too much trust into the loyalty of his Secret Service to him rather than to their country. He is put under arrest and taken to a holding cell in the Dover police station to await his trial.

In her column for July 26, Ellie praised Congress for taking initiative and restoring order. She condemned Eternien for his failed attempt to stay in power, likening him to a “wannabe American Kornilov.” She also expressed her thanks to Forster and Sancronis for their efforts in resolving the crisis (relatively peacefully). Returning home, she soon learned of rumors she was seeking a political office, though she wasn’t…at least not right now.

(I’m assuming the Senate vote to convict after the House passed the articles of impeachment.)

William Howard Kaft

(Hmm…does he require a plus-sized bathtub?)

To get his first policy going, an invasion of East China from the Philippines is planned by General Zen. The country's capital of Manila is still in ruins from the nuclear attack, so, in Operation Rising Sun, the invading forces (made up of the marines who secured East Indochina, and reinforced by troops from Terres du Nord, Canada, and Haiti) will set sail from the Port of Vigan to the north. China originally kept the east coast fairly well guarded, but, with the advances made by the US to the south and west, the troops there have been redeployed. A landing on the east coast will ease up defense in the south as China struggles to fight a two 3 front war. The invasion date is set to August 10th. Several scientists warn Forster and Zen that landing near Fujian so soon after a nuclear strike could have unknown effects on the troops, but the weakened region will be an easy target, so the plans are kept.

Back in Asia, Phoenix shrugged off most news of America, as Ellie could handle things there and he had a war to fight. With Yunnan, Guangxi, and western Guangdong in American hands with the rest of Southeast Asia firmly under control, he now had to invade the mainland. By now, Zhen had redeployed his remaining forces to the south and southeast, fully aware of the threat coming from that direction. But that left the formerly heavily guarded coast exposed, and Phoenix believed he could take advantage of the distraction to seize the crucial coastal cities. He and his staff flew to Vigan, where he met with the three commanders who would help him in what was dubbed Operation Rising Sun: Idhrendur, Anguish, and Jabby. As the preparations began for the greatest invasion in modern military history, Phoenix was informed of the potential health effects of landing in Xiamen, in Fujian Province, which was to be the first target. Xiamen had been the final target of the bomb Phoenix had convinced the Joint Chiefs to redirect from Hong Kong. Information coming from the area was scarce, but military intelligence reported some locals were being affected by strange burns and “wasting sickness.” Phoenix was aware of such possible radiation sickness, his son having seen firsthand what happened to the people of Istanbul when a bomb was dropped on them. But he knew the bomb had significantly weakened the defenses in the province, and it was the least risky option, so he signed off on it.

The first of the troops make land on the 10th and meet light resistance. The beaches are quickly captured. The Marines are split into two; one, led by General Anguish, will move down the coast to take ports and break China's supply lines, while the other, led by General Jabby, will go north towards China's capital of Hangzhou.

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the American Expeditionary Force!
You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the Chinese war machine, the elimination of Stali tyranny over the oppressed peoples of the world, and security for ourselves in a free world.

And with that speech concluded, Phoenix got down to business.

August 10 would be remembered as D-Day, the day Phoenix’s men landed on the beaches of Fujian Province. Though weakened due to the redeployments and the nuclear strike, the Chinese put up a fight, inflicting heavy casualties on Phoenix’s men. But the Americans persisted, and soon the province fell. Phoenix sent Anguish down the coast to take Hong Kong, while he and Jabby pushed north to Hangzhou.

The trial of Eternien begins on the 17th, and crowds and press surround the courthouse, eager to get a look at the disgraced former president. A few anti-war protesters show up, but what with the madhouse that the streets of Dover are in wake of the trial, their message is not heard. The trial comes to a close a few days later, and Eternien is found guilty of manipulation of votes during an election. He's given only 10 years of house arrest, which enrages some. Nevertheless, the mess that was the Eternien Administration is history now, and all that must be done before the rebuilding of the world is the defeat of the Stali Pact.

Ellie was one of those who attended Eternien’s trial, though not to protest. Though she was a little dismayed about Eternien’s sentence, she privately decided it was better than nothing. Now the nation could focus on healing.

As September begins, the push to China's capital proves easy, and the small Chinese garrisons are tossed aside in wake of the Anglo forces. In the south, heavy resistance is met as Hong Kong is captured. The defensive Chinese troops in Indochina appear to have moved with much haste to stop the US advance in the east.

The most significant resistance was along the coast, with the garrisons of the interior much weaker due to the aerial bombing campaign and the redeployment. By September, Anguish had taken Hong Kong and its all-important port, leaving only Hangzhou to go.

October brings with it word that General Jabby has reached the Chinese capital. An extremely loyal unit of special forces soldiers hold it, willing to all die rather than surrender, and the he finds they cannot take the city without huge loss of life. For now, he holds. Meanwhile, 25 fresh divisions led by General Idhrendur land near Fujian and push into the heart of China. General Anguish has been slowed down significantly in his march south, but progress is still slowly made.

Jabby reported he reached the outskirts of Hangzhou the next month. Preliminary assessments by intelligence concluded any attempt to take the city would result in massive casualties, more than Phoenix can afford. He reluctantly ordered Jabby to hold his position and starve out the city until the government came to its senses. Meanwhile, he had Idhrendur launch a third offensive into the interior.

It happened much faster than Phoenix expected. On the night of the 13th, Zhen Fenghuang unexpectedly sent an envoy to Phoenix’s camp, stating he was willing to negotiate terms of surrender on behalf of the Chinese government. Phoenix agreed to the meeting. The two men met the morning of the 14th. They spent the morning talking about their pasts and backgrounds.

Zhen’s life was remarkably similar to Phoenix’s. He was born to a poor family of farmers. His given name, Fenghuang, meant “Phoenix” in Chinese. He was a veteran of the Great War and saw action in several major campaigns. After the war, he was commissioned as an officer, married into the old aristocracy, and rose to the rank of general in peacetime. He was also as eager to command troops in a real war as Phoenix was, and he eagerly accepted late orders to deploy to Indochina.

Privately, he was dissatisfied with much of the regime’s policies. He strongly opposed the use of nuclear weapons, fearing if too many of them were used, all of humanity could be destroyed. He was also a believer in democracy, having visited America in his youth to study American military doctrine, but he believed a constitutional monarchy was better suited for China and its culture than a full republic.

He explained to Phoenix that the Chinese government was close to collapse and was rapidly running out of money, manpower, and materiel to continue the war, especially with the rest of the Stali Pact gone. He was prepared to offer China’s unconditional surrender. Phoenix messaged Forster and the Joint Chiefs, asking for their input. They gave him the go ahead.

That afternoon, at 1800 hours, Phoenix and his officers watched as Zhen signed the instruments of surrender and then presented them to Phoenix, along with a folded Chinese flag. As the moment passed, Phoenix felt like a heavy weight was lifted from his chest. This terrible war was finally over. He had gotten his glory and adventure. He had won the war. Now he could go home and win the peace.

Personally, I would remove TBC, he has shown that he can't be trusted and already made a threat on the president. Either lock him up and throw away the key or arrange for an accident or assassination, blamed of course on Eternien's or Hoover's followers.

Personally, I would remove TBC, he has shown that he can't be trusted and already made a threat on the president. Either lock him up and throw away the key or arrange for an accident or assassination, blamed of course on Eternien's or Hoover's followers.
Nah, he's too popular right now. Just "persuade" him to retire and everything should be good.

I like the maps. How'd you do them?

I just took blank province maps and cropped it to the areas I needed. A few of the borders were complete guesses, but the maps did the job all the same!

'We are all waiting. There are three blockades in the way now, for I am quite sure the Court and Congress are on our side. The first is the president himself...a man I once served under. The man who in fact gave me most of my promotions and projects. Was he always this way? Could I, should I have sensed some madness within him before? I do not know.

The second obstacle are his toadies in the military high command who signed off on those last few bomb drops and God knows what else besides. None of the gases we've created have left their secure compounds as of yet but there are other weapons I would not trust in my own hands, let alone theirs.

Third is the man holding the president's whip. Hoover, the man in black that runs Dover like a big time gangster. How many thousands of americans have been ruined by that man. How much terror has he personally directly unleashed? Before this is all over, the president musr be impeached. The generals imprisoned. But him? He needs to be shot. Possibly before anything else happens. It gives me pause to so eagerly sign off on another man's death but I refuse to lie in my own record. I signed away his life and by God, I wish it had come sooner.'

'I have heard conflicting rumour that the UBP either wish to reward him for his efforts after the nuclear blast or to kill him themselves for much the same reason. These days it is difficult to know what to think or who to trust.'

'The House went in to sit the day after Hoover's car had an unfortunate accident and went careening off the road at high speed. It then caught fire and perhaps exploded, since there is very little evidence left in the ashes of the wreckage. Being burnt to death was too good for the man but I suspect the bullets did him in before that. A pity. A pity?

My word, what has this war brought us to?'

'Fascinating how much loyalty a man has once his tools of control evaporate. His little band of bought men in the Army and Navy have been headed off. Two have committed suicide (though, of course, how true that is...debatable) and the rest are in custody. We may yet get the whole sorry tale of corruption, nepotism and moral degeneracy out of this sticky situation. I hope so. Harsh truths make for better lessons learnt, and i pity the poor man who has to try to de-toxify the whole concept of government after this.'

'We stood down today, both I as provisional army head and the governer as chief rebel. I have never been more releived to be out of work. As I recall in the heady celebrations afterwards, we and everyone else involved in the so-called Deseret Circle held a private discussion where weeks and months of tension relieved themsevles in tears and sobs. Happy and sad.

It is both a terrible and wonderful time to be alive.'

-TBC, US citizen

A great relief poured over the nation and much of the world. A feeling of 'things would be alright now' or perhaps 'things would be alright again'. Whilst Mrs Zen lead a news story congratulating the return of democracy, TBC pulled the new president aside.

"I'm sorry, Max. But you need to come with me."

The two men drove along a desert road until finally stopping at a dark warehouse.

"So this is where they set you all up?" Forster asked.

"Yes," TBC said. "Many months ago your predecessor was here, and I showed and told him the same things you now need to know."

They walked inside. One man was becoming increasingly nervous. The other looked far more worn down than he had in weeks.

"We didn't just make the nukes and jets," TBC said, stopping at a table and taking out a file from a hidden safe. "We were told to make anything that would give us an advantage. And we did. We've made gases that are hundreds of times worse than anything seen in the trenches. We've built machines that seed the atmosphere and water of a country with deadly poisons and fertility ending compounds. Fire you can pour like liquid and sticks like jam. And..." he pulled out the last document, "bombs. Far worse than the ones we have now. Bigger too. Put simply, if you wanted a country, continent or perhaps even a hemisphere wiped clean of life, we could provably do it with the contents of this paper. That is the Doomsday Project. This is our best and worst secret."

Forster was silent. The minutes ticked by. The president's watch seemed to be a few seconds slower than TBC's. Finally, hoarsley, the other man spoke. "What...what are we to do with all this?"

TBC looked down at the folder. It was the question everyone here had been pondering for as long as it had become clear exactly how destructive humanity was becoming. "We need to keep going," he said, heavily, like he was tearing out his own organs. "We can't stop now. The world is past the point where nukes and their like are never used
Now we have to stay up to date on these Weapons of Mass Destruction, because now the world knows they exist..."

"Everyone will make them," Forster closed his eyes. "Dear God." Suddenly the General's anti-nuclear rhetoric made that much more sense. For in a world as thet were now in, the entire world had to collectively decide to carry on living. That was the power, and the terror, of such weapons. Anyone could end the world.

"We need to stop using the bomb. And we need to get everyone else to agree to never use them again. Ever." TBC banged his fist on the table.

"I agree." The president was quiet again for a while before looking up at the other man. "It will not be easy. But we will do it. I'm curious though, what would happen if I needed to order another bombing?"

TBC stood rigid for a few moments. "I'd shoot you, orders and honour be damned. I will not allow another nuclear war for as long as there is breath in my body."

Forster nodded, no longer wondering why the formerly banished general had come to this place armed. "I see." He turned to face the other man. "To be honest, whilst I was not expecting this, you have not suprised me."

"Sir?" TBC frowned.

"The truth is, there is a crisis of faith in the insituation of goverment. No one trusts he US and frabkyl i don't blame them. But we need them to, both our allies and our citizens. And at a time of war, we need our best focused on getting the job done and in such a way that we do not bring disaster and ruin upon us all. My cabinet and I are in agreement, as is Congress, for once..."

"Forgive me but I don't understand?"

"We need to replace pretty much the entire senior command of the army, most of the navy and so much more besides. We need people the public and the troops trust to go into these postions. And I'd like you to assume command of the Army in the current war. In practice at this stage that means running damage control with our allies and coordinating the our final campaigns with the other branches of the military and our allies of course."

"Poster boy for the new regime, is it?" TBC said dubiously.

"Perhaps a little," the president grinned, "but we really do need every little bit of support we can get right now. Plus," he waved his hand, "honestlt? Who else can I trudt with the keys to this place? And everytjign else we've cooked up? We're going to have enough issues purging the government of stooges and other bad eggs without having to worry about the war effort and all this world ending stuff. I hate to say it but, your country needs you, desperately."

"Hmpf," TBC said, walking out of the building, "fine. But expect Khaine and Zen to be pissed when they get back."

"Khaine's in Dover now. He's being kicked upstairs too. And Zen...well, something tells me he was gunning for my job anyway. At least I took out his running mate."

'Now i know you're joking."

"Give it ten years."

"...I hope we have that many."

This does raise the point as to when the cancers and stuff start to get noticed. Especially in UBP???

Imagine if he held the last few russian cities hostage. Millions of people dead.

How the tables turn.

To be fair, if he was put in prison he'd probably be assasinated by someone. And the government needs him done and gone quick, cos they have thousands of other people to screen and clear before anyone is going to trust Dover again.

Oh dear.

Well, that should be that.

Yup, that should do it then.

Ah, victory at any price.

My goodness that was a rough few years for the nation and world. I look forward to seeing the followup stuff.

I'll be putting out casualty numbers next game. The last time I was able to play, the game said there were a total of about 35 million deaths, but they only show manpower loss, so that doesn't count the air forces and the navies.

The original chapter I had written depicted a second civil war, and all these generals were on one side or the other. I'm sorry it took so long for Anguish to come about, but the game just randomly chose a name. I would keep getting infinite amounts of TBCs and BPMs and the likes, it never wanted an Anguish or a Jabby.

Mm. It remains to be seen whether he was a figurehead or criminal mastermind. Someone was clearly doing something very rotten in Dover though.

We got a good variety of generals out of this part didnt we? Now the US has to win the peace with no confidence in the government but lots of popular support for several war heroes. Congress might be dominated by these guys for a decade, if they do decide to jump into politics.

I'll try and include some more background into his administration.

In her column for July 26, Ellie praised Congress for taking initiative and restoring order. She condemned Eternien for his failed attempt to stay in power, likening him to a “wannabe American Kornilov.” She also expressed her thanks to Forster and Sancronis for their efforts in resolving the crisis (relatively peacefully). Returning home, she soon learned of rumors she was seeking a political office, though she wasn’t…at least not right now.

(I’m assuming the Senate vote to convict after the House passed the articles of impeachment.)

(Hmm…does he require a plus-sized bathtub?)

Back in Asia, Phoenix shrugged off most news of America, as Ellie could handle things there and he had a war to fight. With Yunnan, Guangxi, and western Guangdong in American hands with the rest of Southeast Asia firmly under control, he now had to invade the mainland. By now, Zhen had redeployed his remaining forces to the south and southeast, fully aware of the threat coming from that direction. But that left the formerly heavily guarded coast exposed, and Phoenix believed he could take advantage of the distraction to seize the crucial coastal cities. He and his staff flew to Vigan, where he met with the three commanders who would help him in what was dubbed Operation Rising Sun: Idhrendur, Anguish, and Jabby. As the preparations began for the greatest invasion in modern military history, Phoenix was informed of the potential health effects of landing in Xiamen, in Fujian Province, which was to be the first target. Xiamen had been the final target of the bomb Phoenix had convinced the Joint Chiefs to redirect from Hong Kong. Information coming from the area was scarce, but military intelligence reported some locals were being affected by strange burns and “wasting sickness.” Phoenix was aware of such possible radiation sickness, his son having seen firsthand what happened to the people of Istanbul when a bomb was dropped on them. But he knew the bomb had significantly weakened the defenses in the province, and it was the least risky option, so he signed off on it.

And with that speech concluded, Phoenix got down to business.

August 10 would be remembered as D-Day, the day Phoenix’s men landed on the beaches of Fujian Province. Though weakened due to the redeployments and the nuclear strike, the Chinese put up a fight, inflicting heavy casualties on Phoenix’s men. But the Americans persisted, and soon the province fell. Phoenix sent Anguish down the coast to take Hong Kong, while he and Jabby pushed north to Hangzhou.

Ellie was one of those who attended Eternien’s trial, though not to protest. Though she was a little dismayed about Eternien’s sentence, she privately decided it was better than nothing. Now the nation could focus on healing.

The most significant resistance was along the coast, with the garrisons of the interior much weaker due to the aerial bombing campaign and the redeployment. By September, Anguish had taken Hong Kong and its all-important port, leaving only Hangzhou to go.

Jabby reported he reached the outskirts of Hangzhou the next month. Preliminary assessments by intelligence concluded any attempt to take the city would result in massive casualties, more than Phoenix can afford. He reluctantly ordered Jabby to hold his position and starve out the city until the government came to its senses. Meanwhile, he had Idhrendur launch a third offensive into the interior.

It happened much faster than Phoenix expected. On the night of the 13th, Zhen Fenghuang unexpectedly sent an envoy to Phoenix’s camp, stating he was willing to negotiate terms of surrender on behalf of the Chinese government. Phoenix agreed to the meeting. The two men met the morning of the 14th. They spent the morning talking about their pasts and backgrounds.

Zhen’s life was remarkably similar to Phoenix’s. He was born to a poor family of farmers. His given name, Fenghuang, meant “Phoenix” in Chinese. He was a veteran of the Great War and saw action in several major campaigns. After the war, he was commissioned as an officer, married into the old aristocracy, and rose to the rank of general in peacetime. He was also as eager to command troops in a real war as Phoenix was, and he eagerly accepted late orders to deploy to Indochina.

Privately, he was dissatisfied with much of the regime’s policies. He strongly opposed the use of nuclear weapons, fearing if too many of them were used, all of humanity could be destroyed. He was also a believer in democracy, having visited America in his youth to study American military doctrine, but he believed a constitutional monarchy was better suited for China and its culture than a full republic.

He explained to Phoenix that the Chinese government was close to collapse and was rapidly running out of money, manpower, and materiel to continue the war, especially with the rest of the Stali Pact gone. He was prepared to offer China’s unconditional surrender. Phoenix messaged Forster and the Joint Chiefs, asking for their input. They gave him the go ahead.

That afternoon, at 1800 hours, Phoenix and his officers watched as Zhen signed the instruments of surrender and then presented them to Phoenix, along with a folded Chinese flag. As the moment passed, Phoenix felt like a heavy weight was lifted from his chest. This terrible war was finally over. He had gotten his glory and adventure. He had won the war. Now he could go home and win the peace.

I'm no expert at US politics, so I kinda just left a lot of the details about the trial and the impeachment out, hoping to avoid saying something completely ridiculous.

Nah, he's too popular right now. Just "persuade" him to retire and everything should be good.

We'll have to wait and see what happens!

What I'm gonna have to do now and draw up a map of the whole world, so we can see the changes in borders (and the eventually decolonization of the world). It's gonna take a while to do, with lots of tedious use of the fill tool and looking at old screenshots.