LIVE - BATTLETECH 1.4.0 Release Notes: The One with Localization!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, the 1.3.2 beta exists on Steam for opt-in rollbacks. Restart Steam if you're not seeing it in the dropdown (there's no password).

For GOG disable automatic updates and you can opt-in to any specific previous release (no need for betas).
there are two 1.3.2 versions, the old one from 6th of December, and the updated one from the 17th that includes some localization updates.

the one on steam is the one from the 6th of december, the one i am asking about is from the 17th, rolling back to the older 1.3.2 just gives me broken mission templates in my current modded playtrough, hence my asking foir the 17th one.

Looks like the Career scores are adjusted though!
Huh? Started a new Career to check and it seems identical to me, e.g. C-Bills still counting at an absurdly low rate (need 800 millions for full C-Bills score at 1 point per 10000) The typo on the "Faction completion" tooltip is still there as well (says you get 50k points for every faction at minimum or maximum rep value, but it's actually 10k so you need to cap out 5 faction reps for that score)
Maybe I missed something though - what did change?

there are two 1.3.2 versions, the old one from 6th of December, and the updated one from the 17th that includes some localization updates.

the one on steam is the one from the 6th of december, the one i am asking about is from the 17th, rolling back to the older 1.3.2 just gives me broken mission templates in my current modded playtrough, hence my asking foir the 17th one.

Correct! The former was the full 1.3.2 release and will now always be available on the new "1.3.2" beta in Steam.

The latter was a beta preview of the 1.4 update that is now live (the beta was an older build). I've temporarily made this available on Steam/GOG in a new "beta_loc_rollback" beta to give some time for mods to catch up to 1.4 support.

Correct! The former was the full 1.3.2 release and will now always be available on the new "1.3.2" beta in Steam.

The latter was a beta preview of the 1.4 update that is now live (the beta was an older build). I've temporarily made this available on Steam/GOG in a new "beta_loc_rollback" beta to give some time for mods to catch up to 1.4 support.
is it really fair to call it a localization beta considering you lot pushed it as a live release ?

in any case, rolled back, ran the injector, the portraits are working again (yay!) and the missions have lance templates again so they can launch (double yay!)

Huh? Started a new Career to check and it seems identical to me, e.g. C-Bills still counting at an absurdly low rate (need 800 millions for full C-Bills score at 1 point per 10000) The typo on the "Faction completion" tooltip is still there as well (says you get 50k points for every faction at minimum or maximum rep value, but it's actually 10k so you need to cap out 5 faction reps for that score)
Maybe I missed something though - what did change?

The thresholds for each of the ranks was adjusted. The scoring itself wasn't.

Rolling back. The new patch doesn't fix the issues with current career (Black market access, wonky reputation system etc). It sucks that to fix the splash screen delay, I have to sacrifice all the mods plus host of tweaks I've made myself.

So not worth it.

@HBS_Mouse : Does this update also fix the MadLibs issue in the LanceDefs to allow us to call faction names? (@HBS_Eck will be able to better explain details than me)

Yes. Madlibs should run appropriately on tags now. So if a LanceOverride or UnitOverride requests the tag {CUR_TEAM.faction} - then it should replace that with the appropriate faction. You'll still have to tag lances and or units with things like Liao, Kurita, Davion, etc. but the Madlib tag functionality should be working now.

- Eck

Yes. Madlibs should run appropriately on tags now. So if a LanceOverride or UnitOverride requests the tag {CUR_TEAM.faction} - then it should replace that with the appropriate faction. You'll still have to tag lances and or units with things like Liao, Kurita, Davion, etc. but the Madlib tag functionality should be working now.

- Eck

Many thanks good sir !! Can't wait to test run this eve :D

I am not saying support all mods but least they could support the system that lets us use mods mod open battletech way more than just the vanilla game

Again, this was something which was covered a long time ago. They're not likely to support any mods one way or another, as that means they then have to put together a process to vet the mods and be sure it's all 100% okay. Not even Mojang did that during the heyday of Minecraft mods. I would not expect HBS to do it without them tripling the size of their team and assigning all new hires solely to looking through mods and/or working with modders. I'm not saying it's impossible or never gonna happen. I just don't see it as likely without a ton of work out of HBS they likely can't afford to do.

However, as I also said, there are a few team members who I know I've seen try to work with people over stuff on their own time. (I'm not naming names because it's their business if they want it known.)

Greetings Mechwarriors,

Lets please not divert this thread with offtopic modding tangents any further.

Thank you.

There is no noun declension in procedurally generated contracts.
Wait, what? Sorry I had no time to look at it yesterday, but how do you call a localization ready for release if it has no noun declension?

It looked incredibly distracting in localization beta but I thought it was aknown issue. Have you somehow worked around this by rearranging sentences?

EDIT: Ok, I just had a quick look at it and I'm wondering if changes have been made with the localization at all. Well, I can obviously see the UI-changes that have been made and it looks quite good. But the texts doesn't seem to have any changes at all since the last update.

Last edited:
Known Issues
  • On rare occasions, a small amount of partly unlocalized mission objective text may appear in French, German, and Russian versions of the game.
  • Custom Mechwarrior callsigns and ‘Mech names may appear localized if the custom name is a word that is already used elsewhere in the game.
  • A desync notification may appear during rounds in Multiplayer if the Host and Guest use different decimal separators (e.g. English vs Russian, French, or German). However, clicking “Continue” will clear the notification, and the match can be finished.

I am very happy for everyone that gets something from this update, but am very dissapointed that the AKSoundEngine.dll issue wasn't acknowledged.

Legendary was dropped from 720k to 640k and Kerensky was dropped from 784k to 760k.

It doesn't look like achievement values were changed.

Thanks for the update, but if the achievement triggers weren't touched, I'm not going for another slog as of yet. Is there a file that lists the triggers for achievements that I can refer to for things like this, the Decker achievement, and Professional Scavenger?

Can you guys also fix the bug where after customizing pilot portraits in the Barracks, it then takes like 4-5 missions for the changes to fully take effect?

I have an issue where upon changing the pictures, only the picture above the customize button will change. Then I play a mission, and then then one in the barracks will change. Then I play a mission and the one in the pre-mission mech select screen will change, and then the ones in mission will change. Then another mission later and finally the little ones in the pilot list in the barracks will change....

upload_2019-2-1_16-18-59.png

as I mentioned above, the outline on the left looks good now, thanks to the UI-improvements. The mission briefing on the other hand doesn't qualify as anything but a beta localization. Noun declension is not optional.