• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There are two (2) files you need to change once you have your .gfx file:

• 00_graphicalculturetype.txt
(Inside common\Crusader Kings II\common\graphicalculturetypes)
• 00_cultures.txt
(Inside common\Crusader Kings II\common\cultures)

It seems that you've gotten the cultures file done, but I don't if you did the 00_graphicalculturetype.txt file right.

Inside that file you need to add:

Code:
runicpersiangfx = {
   skin_tone = #
}

Make sure that the "runicpersian" matches the entry in the 00_cultures.txt and 00_graphicalculturetype.txt file exactly. Furthermore, make sure that both of those match the filename of the .gfx file, sans the gfx file (since that's the file extension).

Example:
(Inside the cultures file)
Code:
graphical_cultures = { runicpersiangfx }
(Inside the graphical cultures types file)
Code:
runicpersiangfx = {
   skin_tone = 2
}
(As the filename of the gfx)
Code:
runicpersian.gfx

The "#" in the graphical cultures file can be any number between 0 and 3.

the gragraphicalculturetypes t.xt is made right and the culture .txt is also done right but the gfx thing is just a copy paste of the persian one that i renamed and chnaged and is called
portraits_runic-persian.gfx . And i added a dash so it the name went from runicpersian to runic-persian is that a bad move?

Try replacing all instances of "runic-persian" in all three places with some other completely made-up word, like warblgarbl and try to use that to isolate if the dash is causing issues.

Worst case feel free to shoot me the files and I can try to take a look at it.

Try replacing all instances of "runic-persian" in all three places with some other completely made-up word, like warblgarbl and try to use that to isolate if the dash is causing issues.

Worst case feel free to shoot me the files and I can try to take a look at it.

it does not work i tryed it with out the dash before and that did not work.

and here is the file

Attachments

• culture_shifts.b.zip
    1,8 MB · Views: 5
The interface and gfx directories don't belong under common.
Also GFX_runicp-ersian_male_ear is mistyped.

Thanks but..... now it show up but the body parts look like this.......?
Skärmbild (17).png
Skärmbild (16).png

Last edited:
so sloud i do portrait offset for the hair and beards? but how do i fix the lines in the skin?
The lines are generally down to compression method. Be sure to save as DDS with DXT5 compression and mipmaps on.

But if I've read correctly, you don't need to have separate DDS files at all. If you just want Persian faces with Norse hair and your own choice of hair and eye colours, you only need to define a block of Portrait sprite types that call on the appropriate range of GFX sprites.

Set aside your new dds files. Instead, create a text file called portraits_runicpersian.gfx. Copy the vanilla Persian gfx file into it. Then strip out all the GFX Sprite definitions except the two child portraits. In the the child portrait definitions, change persiangfx to runicpersiangfx, but leave the name of the TGA file as it is. Then replace just the lines in the portrait sprite blocks that relate to hair or beards with the corresponding lines from vanilla's Norse portrait definitions. Add any additional hair colours and eye colours you want. If you want every eye colour to appear with every hair colour, make sure that the numbers of the two colour types are coprime, with product less than or equal to 26. Again, at the top of each portrait sprite is a reference to persiangfx; change this to runicpersiangfx.

Once the new gfx file is saved in the correct directory alongside the others, just add runicpersiangfx = { skin_tone = 1 } to the graphicalculturetypes file, and you should be done.

nd

The lines are generally down to compression method. Be sure to save as DDS with DXT5 compression and mipmaps on.

But if I've read correctly, you don't need to have separate DDS files at all. If you just want Persian faces with Norse hair and your own choice of hair and eye colours, you only need to define a block of Portrait sprite types that call on the appropriate range of GFX sprites.

Set aside your new dds files. Instead, create a text file called portraits_runicpersian.gfx. Copy the vanilla Persian gfx file into it. Then strip out all the GFX Sprite definitions except the two child portraits. In the the child portrait definitions, change persiangfx to runicpersiangfx, but leave the name of the TGA file as it is. Then replace just the lines in the portrait sprite blocks that relate to hair or beards with the corresponding lines from vanilla's Norse portrait definitions. Add any additional hair colours and eye colours you want. If you want every eye colour to appear with every hair colour, make sure that the numbers of the two colour types are coprime, with product less than or equal to 26. Again, at the top of each portrait sprite is a reference to persiangfx; change this to runicpersiangfx.

Once the new gfx file is saved in the correct directory alongside the others, just add runicpersiangfx = { skin_tone = 1 } to the graphicalculturetypes file, and you should be done.

nd
Well i litghtend the persian skin also but il explain what i have done i have taken the norse hair and beards and changed the name to persian instead off norse lightend the persian skin color
And the gfx stuff that you talked about i have done already. the thing i want help with is how do i fix the lines in the skin and how do i fix the hair not being in the right place?

Last edited:
Well i litghtend the persian skin also but il explain what i have done i have taken the norse hair and beards and changed the name to persian instead off norse lightend the persian skin color
And the gfx stuff that you talked about i have done already. the thing i want help with is how do i fix the lines in the skin and how do i fix the hair not being in the right place?
Please stop colouring and underlining your text. I literally can't read your reply to me.

nd

I am advising you not to use additional dds files, which should fix your problem with the lines on the portraits. However, my post also included information on how to save new dds files to avoid those lines. And I think @Nendur is right about offsets.

nd