• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Russia has got to be close to surrender, how far has it progressed? Will Delhi move against the Chinese or the Russians? I expect if the Russians could be knocked out of the war, the presidents popularity might get a big boost.

Russia has got to be close to surrender, how far has it progressed? Will Delhi move against the Chinese or the Russians? I expect if the Russians could be knocked out of the war, the presidents popularity might get a big boost.
Even if Russia surrenders, I think Eternien and his presidency are still going to be screwed. There are hundreds of thousands of Americans protesting and rioting in the streets, demanding his resignation or impeachment. His approval ratings are abysmal. There's no way he makes it out of this with his career intact.

Russia and China may not have a chance to launch another nuke with how the war is going. That's the best we can hope for at this stage.

Even if Russia surrenders, I think Eternien and his presidency are still going to be screwed. There are hundreds of thousands of Americans protesting and rioting in the streets, demanding his resignation or impeachment. His approval ratings are abysmal. There's no way he makes it out of this with his career intact.
Speaking of, maybe it's time for a civil war to give the Stali Pact a chance to land in America by allying the rebels. Fingers crossed!

Will Delhi move against the Chinese or the Russians?

That is my big worry at the moment ingame. What are they going to do? Cos they haven't had a damaging war this game yet!

I think Eternien and his presidency are still going to be screwed. There are hundreds of thousands of Americans protesting and rioting in the streets, demanding his resignation or impeachment.

Yeah at this point his party should be seeing the writing on the wall and telling him to resign for the good of them/the country (since it's 1940's he might still do it, unlike more recent incompetents. Mind you, Nixon did it in the end once threatened with prison. And this president has done far more illegal shit),

Speaking of, maybe it's time for a civil war to give the Stali Pact a chance to land in America by allying the rebels. Fingers crossed!

...wait, what?

It's a shame nukes happened this late as China/Russia won't get the chance to return them to Britain or the US. Still, fiery nuclear annihilation will be fun to watch.

What?! Who is this psychopath (in universe)? I mean, maybe the communist rebel leader but even then, not sure why anyone wants more countries to be nuked.

Russia is spent but it must have six or so nukes left based on general production levels, which they may decided just to drop out of spite or give to China etc. etc.

...wait, what?

What?! Who is this psychopath (in universe)? I mean, maybe the communist rebel leader but even then, not sure why anyone wants more countries to be nuked.

Russia is spent but it must have six or so nukes left based on general production levels, which they may decided just to drop out of spite or give to China etc. etc.
Well, what can I say? I like the glorious struggle for freedom sight of millions perishing in nuclear hellfire (I think that's the right order). I'm sure at least there's someone out there who's happy to fuel their rise to power through nuclear fission.

@silentsam5 Do you have any info on what Gen. ‘Jabby’ has been up to? Asking for a friend (me). :)
I’m loving this aar. It’s definitely one of the most entertaining

Bad news, guys. My laptop is pretty messed up and, in trying to fix it, the mod is broken... I've been trying for several hours, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do. I will keep at it, but I can't be sure I will be able to play anymore of it. I have one more chapter I can post, and that chapter is almost enough to wrap up the AAR...

If the mod is broken, so be it. The next chapter can be the end of a grand, enjoyable megacampaign.

I've recovered all the lost files, but I've hit access exceptions every time I start the mod:

######## EXCEPTION: 0xC0000005 at address: 0x01534CA5: ACCESS VIOLATION read attempt to address 0x00000B9C
Version: Unknown Version

I've been searching the internet all day and have yet to find anything that solves this.

It's sad when that happens, but it does happen. At least you're near the end and should be able to wrap it up purely narratively.

Just a note to jump in... I've binge-read all 4 AAR's in the past 3 days... This is amazing... and enough for me to shake the dust off a few of these games again to start rattling around. Truly an amazing feat... Kudos to all involved... the participatory nature of the narrative kept it fresh throughout...

Regards,
Chas

It's sad when that happens, but it does happen. At least you're near the end and should be able to wrap it up purely narratively.

I should be able to, but a huge conflict is gonna be just narrative in the last few chapters... Such a shame.

Bummer. Did you query the mod forum?

No, I've been searching for related issues and the fixes have no effect on my situation.

Just a note to jump in... I've binge-read all 4 AAR's in the past 3 days... This is amazing... and enough for me to shake the dust off a few of these games again to start rattling around. Truly an amazing feat... Kudos to all involved... the participatory nature of the narrative kept it fresh throughout...

Regards,
Chas

It makes me really happy to hear! I'm definitely planning on starting another AAR at some point, so I'll keep in mind what people love about this one and try to apply it to another!

Chapter 20 - Mar 1946: The Election of 1946

Titus TBC returned to his family after his pardon by President Eternien. Since then, he has stayed out of politics, opting instead to focus on family and relaxation. It hasn't been easy, what with the president acting like a rabid dog about the War, but he is determined not to do anything, at least until the election this July. Several candidates have approached him asking for endorsements, but all were turned away. Even more political activists and campaigners were turned away after offering to help him run for office. Perhaps in '50 he will run.

Protests against the war, and against the way Eternien was handling the war, continues throughout the country. There are still demonstrations outside the White House in Dover that draw crowds of over 50 thousand, while other cities, like Chicago and San Francisco, see tens of thousands march, declaring the president a war criminal and calling for impeachment. No president has ever been impeached, but the possibility remains for a first very soon.

The first of the Chinese garrison in Indochina is encountered on the 4th of April. Though fighting through intense terrain, the locals are quick to rally to the Americans' side. Their intelligence ensures quick movement through the jungles and mountains and easier combat with the Chinese.

Eybpbgg.jpg

The first stage of the invasion will be grabbing a sizable part of Burma as a staging ground, bringing in more troops, and constructing air fields. So far, the plan is working out, but the US is yet to experience true combat in China.

RAJrWMQ.jpg

Reinforcements arrive and start doing their thing, pushing back the Chinese troops. Soon, most of Burma is under US control.

RoddI2n.jpg

The prospective runner up against President Eternien is Maximus Forster, an extremely intelligent man, currently the governor of Florida. He promises, if he wins, an end to the use of nuclear weapons "by both sides" and a speedy victory for the Anglo Americans. He also promises an extensive reconstruction of the world and 'rehabilitation' for the Stali Pact, when the war does end.

The first troops reach the homeland of China before too long, and much of it is unguarded. The foolish Chinese obviously thought their highest priority was aiding Russia to the West. They never expected a landing in Indochina. General Zen urges the men onward, and haste is given the highest priority by the President; if China could fall before the election, perhaps he would have a chance.

X5EsP6z.jpg

The Americans on the front lines of Russia make horrible discoveries as they push deeper into Russia; rather than allow the US to get their hands on their reactors or their technology, they destroy the facilities, often slaughtering the workers and scientists present, to keep the secrets out of US hands. This has led to several radiation leaks throughout the country.

In other news, in all the chaos, Persia expeditiously invades and annexes Iraq, expanding their empire slightly. Relations between Persia and Delhi have been growing tenser in recent months, due in most part to Delhi's 'occupation' of Baluchistan, which Persia claims should be a part of their growing Caliphate.

bHVkGKI.jpg

The pro surrender movement, which was gaining ground very quickly in America, has been stalling lately, but another political faction in America has been growing to take its place. This one calls itself the Democratic Coalition. Among them are many state governors, senators, and representatives, primarily from western states. Their main goals are the removing of President Eternien from office, the end of nuclear weapons, and the reconstruction of the world. At their head is Luke Sancronis, the governor of California, a radically opposing force to President Eternien.

For now, it is just a faction that is making splashes in the political arena of the US, but their growing backing could spell trouble for the current administration.

The real Chinese army finally reinforces the garrison at the beginning of June, and the push into China slows down. The closer the troops get to Wu China, the harder it will be.

Ks9PTpk.jpg

The panic sets in for the Chinese mid June as US lines begin reaching their homeland from the west. The US push through Central Asia has been a huge success, and thousands of miles of land have been gained in just months.

ZUeb2do.jpg

Election day arrives, and the country sees the biggest turnout ever, at nearly 75% of the eligible population voting. It is a tense day in Dover. The candidates with a chance to win are the republican party's Eternien (15% estimated support), the Democratic Party's Forster (62% estimated support), and the Democratic Coalition's Sancronis (21% estimated support). The newspapers the day of confidently report that this will be an easy victory for the Democratic Party. But, as the votes come in and counting begins, things look less bright for Forster. The last of the votes come in the evening of the 7th, and the counting is finished the next day. Eternien wins a second term.

Outrage fills the nation, and no one believes the results. A recount is called, and, as it begins, Eternien declares himself victorious, calling the recount an unnecessary distraction. The recount yields the exact same results. Eternien remains the president of the United States.

An anonymous source from the Republican party leaks to the media mountains of evidence of vote manipulation committed by the party. The news hits on the 10th of July, despite fierce censorship attempts by the government, and the US breaks. The Democratic Coalition declares the President a tyrant who has held on to power through scheming and deception. Sancronis, who is an honorable man, says the victor should have been Forster and proposes a cooperative alliance between the Democratic Coalition and the Democratic Party to impeach the President, and Forster and his men accept.

All throughout the US the riots begin again, this time worse than last. As people call for justice, Eternien gives a speech calling the accusations alleged against him lies meant to bring him down, and calling the Democratic Coalition and the Democratic Party enemies of the state. His speech is given behind a glass barrier in front of the White House, the riots in Dover being just several hundred yards from him.

ZwtyXMJ.jpg

The burning of several buildings during the Dover Riots

The worst happens on July 15th. Governor Sancronis declares California an independent state and sends terms to Eternien of returning to the Union: Eternien must retire as president, the vote must be retaken without his interference, and he must be brought to trial for his crimes. Of course, the terms are immediately rejected. Eternien, thinking that Sancronis' claims will easily be rejected by the rest of the Union, decides his opponent is bluffing. He could not be more wrong.

Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Oregon, New Mexico, and Texas join California in independence, and together they form the Republic of Deseret. This new republic, still headed by Sancronis, resends the demands to Eternien, promising that more states will secede if the demands are not met. Eternien's entire administration urges him to accept, or to flee and avoid arrest. Instead, he rejects once again, locking himself in the White House with his most loyal secret service members as security. Colorado, Washington, and Oklahoma secede after the second rejection.

cTnj3Yb.png

A speech given by Eternien, from behind the closed gates of the White House, denounces Sancronis and the secessionist states. All around America, Americans watch the speech on their televisions (a relatively new invention). Eternien promises swift justice for the rebels, but offers pardons for any state that rejoins the union.

National guard units on both sides begin deploying to the borders, preparing for a fight. Overseas, the troops are put in a precarious situation. Loyalty to the nation and loyalty to their states clash, and units from the seceded states begin ignoring orders, making their way instead to ports to sail home. It will be a while before any of them make it back, but until then, conscription in the rebel states begin and state militia are formed.

Thus far, no shots have been fired, but this is surely the beginning of the Second American Civil War. With America at odds within, the World War will likely turn to the Stali Pact's advantage.

In other news, in all the chaos, Persia expeditiously invades and annexes Iraq, expanding their empire slightly. Relations between Persia and Delhi have been growing tenser in recent months, due in most part to Delhi's 'occupation' of Baluchistan, which Persia claims should be a part of their growing Caliphate.

Ah...not good for post war peace to have another mega war inbetween Europe, Russia and China.

Election day arrives, and the country sees the biggest turnout ever, at nearly 75% of the eligible population voting.

Well at least voter apathy is a thing of the past.

An anonymous source from the Republican party leaks to the media mountains of evidence of vote manipulation committed by the party. The news hits on the 10th of July, despite fierce censorship attempts by the government, and the US breaks. The Democratic Coalition declares the President a tyrant who has held on to power through scheming and deception. Sancronis, who is an honorable man, says the victor should have been Forster and proposes a cooperative alliance between the Democratic Coalition and the Democratic Party to impeach the President, and Forster and his men accept.

Bugger.

All throughout the US the riots begin again, this time worse than last. As people call for justice, Eternien gives a speech calling the accusations alleged against him lies meant to bring him down, and calling the Democratic Coalition and the Democratic Party enemies of the state. His speech is given behind a glass barrier in front of the White House, the riots in Dover being just several hundred yards from him.

'Yesterday it seemed the entire state was in uproar. From the hospital, I could see the National Guard in the street and people chanting anti-war and anti-government slogans. The worst thing of all was the soldiers were part of the crowd. This was becoming a full-on revolt.

Today I was pulled from the room by an anxious nurse and a rather excitable young officer of the Californian Guard. I recieved a phone call from Governer Sancronis, a good man, and he told me of his and the state's concerns with the alleged 'president'. I sympathised greatly but my wife and I are in no position to move as of yet. I sent my regards and support his way.

I can only hope this situation is resolved promptly. This nation has better things to be getting on with. Though the governer's calling on the National Guard does give me great pause.'

The worst happens on July 15th. Governor Sancronis declares California an independent state and sends terms to Eternien of returning to the Union: Eternien must retire as president, the vote must be retaken without his interference, and he must be brought to trial for his crimes. Of course, the terms are immediately rejected. Eternien, thinking that Sancronis' claims will easily be rejected by the rest of the Union, decides his opponent is bluffing. He could not be more wrong.

'All hell broke loose this morning before sunup. The crowds were once again in the street, and in every home in the nation I expect, to hear the governer's speach calling for an end to tyranny and our withdrawal from these United States. It is a profound shock to me and my wife...I hope it does not affect her so. My grandfather, an ancient and wise man, told of California entering the union so I suppose it has not always been so, but still...the US and my home have been as one in my heart since the first beat. To see it torn in sunder now...

We must resolve this. The world needs a strong and unified nation in America to rebuild the rest, to provide refuge for the unwanted and the light of democracy and liberty to light the darker corners of the world. I have discussed matters with my Emily. It had been my intention to return to the public service in Europe, to promote brotherhood between nations but the labour of my son put paid to that. Now it seems I may miss that as well, for if there is to be war (I tremble to write such a thing but still) then it would be foolish to believe I will play no part in it.

Unfortunatly, I fear the only way to avoid such a thing is throwing my hat in now, supporting my homeland against the wicked president and encourage the nation to do what is right, as I know they already wish to.'

Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Oregon, New Mexico, and Texas join California in independence, and together they form the Republic of Deseret. This new republic, still headed by Sancronis, resends the demands to Eternien, promising that more states will secede if the demands are not met. Eternien's entire administration urges him to accept, or to flee and avoid arrest. Instead, he rejects once again, locking himself in the White House with his most loyal secret service members as security. Colorado, Washington, and Oklahoma secede after the second rejection.

'I stand in a room alone. In front of me is a table upon which lies my arms, my badge and rank, my uniform. To be head of the armed forces is beyond my youthful self's wildest dreams...yet it is not for the Union I serve. No, it is they that I may yet fight.

Theo was born yesterday in the evening time, as luck would have it (or fate?) 5 minutes before the governer...I am not sure what his title is now...entered to personally ask (perhaps beg is too strong a word) for my military experience. I told him that he will have it, but I must at least try one thing first. I am unsure I could do what lies ahead if I did not try to disarm all this one last time.'

-General TBC, Commander of Deseret

A speech given by Eternien, from behind the closed gates of the White House, denounces Sancronis and the secessionist states. All around America, Americans watch the speech on their televisions (a relatively new invention). Eternien promises swift justice for the rebels, but offers pardons

Today saw a nation-wide television broadcast by the former US five star general TBC. It was simultaneously transmitted by radio and recieved in millions of homes across the former and current United States. The viewing public were capticated by the young and vibrant speaker, a far cry from the decades older polticans dominating the newscycles, dressed not in his usual military uniform but as an unassuming civillian. In his address he expressed great sorrow over the state of the union, and shared in the public's fears of what the future might bring with a present so uncertain not merely because of foriegn war but insidious conflict within the nation. He spoke of his newly born son, his hopes and his fears for him as the world turned ever more chaotic and violent:

'Ours is a world not fit for newly born babes. My son, just born, misses his father due to dishonest men selfishly hoarding power at the expence of a great nation, a nation that rightly or wrongly holds the keys to a brighter future for the whole world. We are the ones who can and will rebuild Europe. We are the ones who must, despite hardship and difficulty ahead, despite anger and hatred on both sides, draw the line underneath nuclear weapons and their devastating impact upon our enemies and ourselves. In the coming years, this could be our moment to shine and have liberty light the world in a bright and golden time of freedom and plenty for all. But in taking that future we must be wise today. We must by necessity put aside what seperates and divides to reach across aisles both poltical and economic. We must recognise the good in each other and work to stoke the fires of love in men's hearts for the sake not only for this generation but for all generations to come.
So I come before you all now and ask, beg and plead: this country of ours is in peril. Imperilled by the tyrannical and the closeminded, the evil and weakhearted men of Dover. But it need not be so. I hope and I know that no man or woman or child in these United States wishes to fight one another over such foolish and selfish men. We as one must rise up as one nation under God and create a more perfect Union together, both on earth and in our souls.
Today, I ask for peace and justice to reign once more across the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. Join us, and together with our mighty strength we shall go forward together and build a better world for tomorrow.'

Overseas, the troops are put in a precarious situation. Loyalty to the nation and loyalty to their states clash, and units from the seceded states begin ignoring orders, making their way instead to ports to sail home. It will be a while before any of them make it back, but until then, conscription in the rebel states begin and state militia are formed.

Thus far, no shots have been fired, but this is surely the beginning of the Second American Civil War. With America at odds within, the World War will likely turn to the Stali Pact's advantage.

This is a catastrophic turn of events and no mistake. Didn't see it coming either. No idea how it's going to turn out but...well, we'll see right?

Just as the World War was looking like things might snowball into a victory. The Republic of Deseret is a huge surprise, I really didn't see that coming. I feared before America may need to prioritize itself over helping in the World Wars, and now the problem has reached a head.

Titus TBC returned to his family after his pardon by President Eternien. Since then, he has stayed out of politics, opting instead to focus on family and relaxation. It hasn't been easy, what with the president acting like a rabid dog about the War, but he is determined not to do anything, at least until the election this July. Several candidates have approached him asking for endorsements, but all were turned away. Even more political activists and campaigners were turned away after offering to help him run for office. Perhaps in '50 he will run.

Phoenix’s men constantly urged him to run for president, but he reminded them they still had a war to fight, and he was going to win it before considering a campaign.

Protests against the war, and against the way Eternien was handling the war, continues throughout the country. There are still demonstrations outside the White House in Dover that draw crowds of over 50 thousand, while other cities, like Chicago and San Francisco, see tens of thousands march, declaring the president a war criminal and calling for impeachment. No president has ever been impeached, but the possibility remains for a first very soon.

In addition to writing more columns in the national newspapers, Ellie and her children continued leading protests in major cities on the eastern seaboard, calling for Eternien to step down. She stopped short of calling him a war criminal, instead emphasizing he needed to be thoroughly investigated by both Congress and the courts. The protests under her leadership were to be civil and peaceful demonstrations, not the kind of mob violence seen elsewhere in the country. If anybody acted violently, they were turned over to law enforcement and expelled from the protest.

The first of the Chinese garrison in Indochina is encountered on the 4th of April. Though fighting through intense terrain, the locals are quick to rally to the Americans' side. Their intelligence ensures quick movement through the jungles and mountains and easier combat with the Chinese.

Back in Asia, Phoenix’s troops finally encountered their first Chinese opponents. Despite his initial concerns the enemy might make use of the harsh terrain to hamper his progress, intelligence from both his operatives and sympathetic locals helped balance it out, putting him on equal footing with his Chinese counterpart, General Zhen Fenghuang. Zhen might have had more recent battlefield experience in the civil war several years ago, but Phoenix had decades to analyze every strategy thrown his way, and he knew just how to counter it.

The first stage of the invasion will be grabbing a sizable part of Burma as a staging ground, bringing in more troops, and constructing air fields. So far, the plan is working out, but the US is yet to experience true combat in China.

Phoenix divided his troops into two offensives: one going along the coast, to secure important ports such as Yangon to establish supply lines, and the other into the interior to draw Zhen’s forces away from the coast and fragment their supply lines. This would buy him time to bring in airplanes from India with which to establish air superiority. Since the mountainous and jungle terrain was ill-suited for tanks, he kept his armored divisions along the coast, while he worked closely with sympathetic locals in the interior to supplement his troops.

Reinforcements arrive and start doing their thing, pushing back the Chinese troops. Soon, most of Burma is under US control.

Phoenix’s strategy paid off. Zhen didn’t know what hit him until it was over. Despite the Chinese likely having numerical superiority, with their supply lines cut, their troops fragmented, and the locals withdrawing their support, all he could do was retreat to the east. Burma was now in Phoenix’s hands. Now he had to move into Siam. From there he would need to secure the Malay archipelago and the cities of central Siam to establish a foothold in the South China Sea, from which he could attack Vietnam and move into southern China. Another offensive would go north from central Burma into Yunnan, linking up with the first in Hong Kong.

The prospective runner up against President Eternien is Maximus Forster, an extremely intelligent man, currently the governor of Florida. He promises, if he wins, an end to the use of nuclear weapons "by both sides" and a speedy victory for the Anglo Americans. He also promises an extensive reconstruction of the world and 'rehabilitation' for the Stali Pact, when the war does end.

Phoenix liked what Forster had to say, though he was in no position to share his ideas right now. In any event, Ellie shared Phoenix’s views, and in one of her columns she offered an endorsement to his campaign.

The first troops reach the homeland of China before too long, and much of it is unguarded. The foolish Chinese obviously thought their highest priority was aiding Russia to the West. They never expected a landing in Indochina. General Zen urges the men onward, and haste is given the highest priority by the President; if China could fall before the election, perhaps he would have a chance.

Progress in Indochina went by much faster than Phoenix expected. Siam and the rest of the Malay archipelago fell quickly, giving the Americans total control over the Straits of Malacca and helping Phoenix establish new supply lines. He pushed north and east into Vietnam, which fell rather quickly as well. His two offensives didn’t even need to get to Hong Kong to link up, instead linking up in eastern Yunnan and western Guangxi. Even the heartland’s defenses folded as fast as those in Indochina. Zhen’s forces seemed to be weaker and smaller now, although Phoenix hadn’t inflicted that many casualties on them. He concluded the rest of the Chinese army had been deployed to prop up Russia. It was very fortunate for him. The sooner he got this war over with, the sooner he could get back home and join TBC and the others.

The pro surrender movement, which was gaining ground very quickly in America, has been stalling lately, but another political faction in America has been growing to take its place. This one calls itself the Democratic Coalition. Among them are many state governors, senators, and representatives, primarily from western states. Their main goals are the removing of President Eternien from office, the end of nuclear weapons, and the reconstruction of the world. At their head is Luke Sancronis, the governor of California, a radically opposing force to President Eternien.

Phoenix didn’t focus much on the Democratic Coalition, initially dismissing them as yet another anti-Eternien faction yet to be united under Forster’s leadership. However, he did understand where they were coming from, and he liked what Governor Sancronis had did for California.

The real Chinese army finally reinforces the garrison at the beginning of June, and the push into China slows down. The closer the troops get to Wu China, the harder it will be.

By June, Zhen’s troops had been reinforced, and the Chinese began mounting even greater resistance to the Americans. Phoenix was glad he could now have a fair battle with Zhen, but he was also dismayed his progress was slowed. He knew the Chinese would fight tooth and nail for their heartland, so he prepared for even greater resistance. He and his men were now fighting deep in enemy territory, even with the occupied Guangxi and Guangdong ports bringing in as many supplies as they could, so he had to conserve his ammunition and manpower accordingly.

The panic sets in for the Chinese mid June as US lines begin reaching their homeland from the west. The US push through Central Asia has been a huge success, and thousands of miles of land have been gained in just months.

At least his colleagues in Central Asia were doing very well. He hoped it would put pressure on the Chinese military leadership and lead them to make bad plays in the heartland.

Election day arrives, and the country sees the biggest turnout ever, at nearly 75% of the eligible population voting. It is a tense day in Dover. The candidates with a chance to win are the republican party's Eternien (15% estimated support), the Democratic Party's Forster (62% estimated support), and the Democratic Coalition's Sancronis (21% estimated support). The newspapers the day of confidently report that this will be an easy victory for the Democratic Party. But, as the votes come in and counting begins, things look less bright for Forster. The last of the votes come in the evening of the 7th, and the counting is finished the next day. Eternien wins a second term.

Ellie cast her vote on Election Day, for Forster of course. She and her friends watched the results come in later that day, all predicting Forster’s victory. When she heard angry shouts and breaking glass coming from outside, she knew something had gone wrong. She gathered her family and immediately sent them away to Britain, staying behind to continue her work.

Outrage fills the nation, and no one believes the results. A recount is called, and, as it begins, Eternien declares himself victorious, calling the recount an unnecessary distraction. The recount yields the exact same results. Eternien remains the president of the United States.

The recount ended, and her suspicions were confirmed. Eternien had won. It was impossible for him to have won. There was no way. Ellie published a column as usual, denouncing Eternien’s win as illegitimate.

The leak on July 10 only reaffirmed her suspicions. Ellie reached out to both Sancronis and Forster and convinced them to join forces against Eternien, though Sancronis had already wanted to throw his support behind Forster. She wrote another column calling on Eternien to step down immediately or for Congress to impeach him, as there was now damning evidence which justified such radical steps.

Riots escalated across America, and despite Ellie’s best efforts, they only intensified. She ramped up her calls for justice and for the end of Eternien’s administration. Eternien responded by labeling Forster, Sancronis, and their supporters enemies of the state, even publishing a rival column directly denouncing Ellie’s “yellow journalism,” leading to major newspapers being inundated by letters from readers denouncing Eternien’s column.

Just five days later, chaos engulfed the west. There were conflicting reports of what happened. Some said Sancronis had declared California an independent nation, while others thought he had established a rival government led by him and Forster. Whatever the case, California was now in open rebellion, and most of its National Guard units had gone with it. Many in the east had taken to calling the new faction the Republic of Deseret.

When she heard the other western states had joined California, taking their National Guard Units with them, Ellie knew this was no stunt. She quickly made her way to California, which was apparently easier than she expected, as the “border” between the two factions was ill-defined and the east was in a state of disorder and panic following the secessions.

A speech given by Eternien, from behind the closed gates of the White House, denounces Sancronis and the secessionist states. All around America, Americans watch the speech on their televisions (a relatively new invention). Eternien promises swift justice for the rebels, but offers pardons for any state that rejoins the union.

Ellie didn’t listen to Eternien’s speech. That man had gone mad.

Today saw a nation-wide television broadcast by the former US five star general TBC. It was simultaneously transmitted by radio and recieved in millions of homes across the former and current United States. The viewing public were capticated by the young and vibrant speaker, a far cry from the decades older polticans dominating the newscycles, dressed not in his usual military uniform but as an unassuming civillian. In his address he expressed great sorrow over the state of the union, and shared in the public's fears of what the future might bring with a present so uncertain not merely because of foriegn war but insidious conflict within the nation. He spoke of his newly born son, his hopes and his fears for him as the world turned ever more chaotic and violent:

'Ours is a world not fit for newly born babes. My son, just born, misses his father due to dishonest men selfishly hoarding power at the expence of a great nation, a nation that rightly or wrongly holds the keys to a brighter future for the whole world. We are the ones who can and will rebuild Europe. We are the ones who must, despite hardship and difficulty ahead, despite anger and hatred on both sides, draw the line underneath nuclear weapons and their devastating impact upon our enemies and ourselves. In the coming years, this could be our moment to shine and have liberty light the world in a bright and golden time of freedom and plenty for all. But in taking that future we must be wise today. We must by necessity put aside what seperates and divides to reach across aisles both poltical and economic. We must recognise the good in each other and work to stoke the fires of love in men's hearts for the sake not only for this generation but for all generations to come.

So I come before you all now and ask, beg and plead: this country of ours is in peril. Imperilled by the tyrannical and the closeminded, the evil and weakhearted men of Dover. But it need not be so. I hope and I know that no man or woman or child in these United States wishes to fight one another over such foolish and selfish men. We as one must rise up as one nation under God and create a more perfect Union together, both on earth and in our souls.

Today, I ask for peace and justice to reign once more across the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. Join us, and together with our mighty strength we shall go forward together and build a better world for tomorrow.'

Following TBC’s address to the people, Ellie made her own TV appearance, buying half an hour on all major news networks. Her speech would also be transmitted over radio and transcribed by major newspapers to reach the biggest audience. It was similar to TBC’s in content: a strong stance against nuclear weapons and a call for Eternien to step down, for the sake of the nation and its people. Following her address, she settled into her temporary home in San Francisco and waited for the next shot to be fired.

Ah...not good for post war peace to have another mega war inbetween Europe, Russia and China.

This is a catastrophic turn of events and no mistake. Didn't see it coming either. No idea how it's going to turn out but...well, we'll see right?

Nah, Delhi and Persia have their fun!

It's certainly gonna be a buzzkill for the war overseas...

Just as the World War was looking like things might snowball into a victory. The Republic of Deseret is a huge surprise, I really didn't see that coming. I feared before America may need to prioritize itself over helping in the World Wars, and now the problem has reached a head.

It's a little too late to prioritize itself now. The Union needs to be, well, reunited, then the Stali Pact can be crushed overseas.

Phoenix’s men constantly urged him to run for president, but he reminded them they still had a war to fight, and he was going to win it before considering a campaign.

In addition to writing more columns in the national newspapers, Ellie and her children continued leading protests in major cities on the eastern seaboard, calling for Eternien to step down. She stopped short of calling him a war criminal, instead emphasizing he needed to be thoroughly investigated by both Congress and the courts. The protests under her leadership were to be civil and peaceful demonstrations, not the kind of mob violence seen elsewhere in the country. If anybody acted violently, they were turned over to law enforcement and expelled from the protest.

Back in Asia, Phoenix’s troops finally encountered their first Chinese opponents. Despite his initial concerns the enemy might make use of the harsh terrain to hamper his progress, intelligence from both his operatives and sympathetic locals helped balance it out, putting him on equal footing with his Chinese counterpart, General Zhen Fenghuang. Zhen might have had more recent battlefield experience in the civil war several years ago, but Phoenix had decades to analyze every strategy thrown his way, and he knew just how to counter it.

Phoenix divided his troops into two offensives: one going along the coast, to secure important ports such as Yangon to establish supply lines, and the other into the interior to draw Zhen’s forces away from the coast and fragment their supply lines. This would buy him time to bring in airplanes from India with which to establish air superiority. Since the mountainous and jungle terrain was ill-suited for tanks, he kept his armored divisions along the coast, while he worked closely with sympathetic locals in the interior to supplement his troops.

Phoenix’s strategy paid off. Zhen didn’t know what hit him until it was over. Despite the Chinese likely having numerical superiority, with their supply lines cut, their troops fragmented, and the locals withdrawing their support, all he could do was retreat to the east. Burma was now in Phoenix’s hands. Now he had to move into Siam. From there he would need to secure the Malay archipelago and the cities of central Siam to establish a foothold in the South China Sea, from which he could attack Vietnam and move into southern China. Another offensive would go north from central Burma into Yunnan, linking up with the first in Hong Kong.

Phoenix liked what Forster had to say, though he was in no position to share his ideas right now. In any event, Ellie shared Phoenix’s views, and in one of her columns she offered an endorsement to his campaign.

Progress in Indochina went by much faster than Phoenix expected. Siam and the rest of the Malay archipelago fell quickly, giving the Americans total control over the Straits of Malacca and helping Phoenix establish new supply lines. He pushed north and east into Vietnam, which fell rather quickly as well. His two offensives didn’t even need to get to Hong Kong to link up, instead linking up in eastern Yunnan and western Guangxi. Even the heartland’s defenses folded as fast as those in Indochina. Zhen’s forces seemed to be weaker and smaller now, although Phoenix hadn’t inflicted that many casualties on them. He concluded the rest of the Chinese army had been deployed to prop up Russia. It was very fortunate for him. The sooner he got this war over with, the sooner he could get back home and join TBC and the others.

Phoenix didn’t focus much on the Democratic Coalition, initially dismissing them as yet another anti-Eternien faction yet to be united under Forster’s leadership. However, he did understand where they were coming from, and he liked what Governor Sancronis had did for California.

By June, Zhen’s troops had been reinforced, and the Chinese began mounting even greater resistance to the Americans. Phoenix was glad he could now have a fair battle with Zhen, but he was also dismayed his progress was slowed. He knew the Chinese would fight tooth and nail for their heartland, so he prepared for even greater resistance. He and his men were now fighting deep in enemy territory, even with the occupied Guangxi and Guangdong ports bringing in as many supplies as they could, so he had to conserve his ammunition and manpower accordingly.

At least his colleagues in Central Asia were doing very well. He hoped it would put pressure on the Chinese military leadership and lead them to make bad plays in the heartland.

Ellie cast her vote on Election Day, for Forster of course. She and her friends watched the results come in later that day, all predicting Forster’s victory. When she heard angry shouts and breaking glass coming from outside, she knew something had gone wrong. She gathered her family and immediately sent them away to Britain, staying behind to continue her work.

The recount ended, and her suspicions were confirmed. Eternien had won. It was impossible for him to have won. There was no way. Ellie published a column as usual, denouncing Eternien’s win as illegitimate.

The leak on July 10 only reaffirmed her suspicions. Ellie reached out to both Sancronis and Forster and convinced them to join forces against Eternien, though Sancronis had already wanted to throw his support behind Forster. She wrote another column calling on Eternien to step down immediately or for Congress to impeach him, as there was now damning evidence which justified such radical steps.

Riots escalated across America, and despite Ellie’s best efforts, they only intensified. She ramped up her calls for justice and for the end of Eternien’s administration. Eternien responded by labeling Forster, Sancronis, and their supporters enemies of the state, even publishing a rival column directly denouncing Ellie’s “yellow journalism,” leading to major newspapers being inundated by letters from readers denouncing Eternien’s column.

Just five days later, chaos engulfed the west. There were conflicting reports of what happened. Some said Sancronis had declared California an independent nation, while others thought he had established a rival government led by him and Forster. Whatever the case, California was now in open rebellion, and most of its National Guard units had gone with it. Many in the east had taken to calling the new faction the Republic of Deseret.

When she heard the other western states had joined California, taking their National Guard Units with them, Ellie knew this was no stunt. She quickly made her way to California, which was apparently easier than she expected, as the “border” between the two factions was ill-defined and the east was in a state of disorder and panic following the secessions.

Ellie didn’t listen to Eternien’s speech. That man had gone mad.

Following TBC’s address to the people, Ellie made her own TV appearance, buying half an hour on all major news networks. Her speech would also be transmitted over radio and transcribed by major newspapers to reach the biggest audience. It was similar to TBC’s in content: a strong stance against nuclear weapons and a call for Eternien to step down, for the sake of the nation and its people. Following her address, she settled into her temporary home in San Francisco and waited for the next shot to be fired.

I think Zen will have a role to play in the Civil War, we will have to see.

Well, that was a surprise. I certainly didn't think I would end up a character in this, especially one that is the opposite of my support for using nukes to try and wrap the war up. :rolleyes:
I am interested in what the character will do next. I certainly hope he condemns the secession of the western states. That is so dumb and can only lead to ruin for those states.
The military take and oath to protect and defend the United States and the constitution. Loyalty to an individual state has not been a major point for citizens for a long time, as Americans have become such a mobile people. Of course there are always some people that will be opposed to the federal government. :( So, I don't think there would be much, if any, defections in the military. It would be highly unlikely for the senior officer and enlisted, who have spent many years in their nation's service.