• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You might edit the German events file yourself, and remove nazi events in this way, or make them more kaiser-like.

That's a good idea...unfortunately by the time I thought of that myself it was 1938 and I didn't think it was worth redoing five years of gameplay.

Honestly when I started this AAR I'd kinda forgotten that this mod had several immersion-breaking issues like this mostly cos I'd simply gotten used to them and hadn't thought to do something about it in the AAR until it was too late. Remember this is my first AAR so I'm still learning...but lesson learned and I promise that in future AAR's I'll be a lot more proactive about changing things that break the immersion of the AAR.

So on that note its time for the new chapter...

Chapter 23 (1932-1933)
The year of 1932 started with a continuation of violence in East Asia as Japan followed up their seizure of Manchuria by capturing the Chinese city of Shanghai. China, which is embroiled in an increasingly violent Civil War proved yet again unable to stand up to the Imperialist Japanese.

pm5VKpXJp

In France there was another General Election that saw another Left-Wing Coalition take power with Edouard Herriot forming a Government. The fact that France continues to switch politically from right to left in this way shows that, unlike Germany which is united under the Kaiser and the Lion of Africa, France is politically divided in a way that will hopefully weaken them enough to prevent them from continuing to keep the Kaiserreich as weak as they can...

pmkwX92Jp

...and just three weeks later the political unrest in France grew even worse after President Paul Doumer was assassinated by a mentally unstable Russian Emigre named Paul Gorguloff. In the aftermath of this assassination an emergency election was held which saw Albert Lebrun of the Centre-Right Democratic Republican Alliance become the new French President. In Berlin these events are being watched with a great deal of satisfaction as Germany's old enemy continues to spiral into more and more trouble.

pmuwzMINp

There was also political violence across the Atlantic as tens of thousands of Great War veterans gathered in Washington D.C to demand payments that they had been promised by the Government for their wartime service. These marchers, who became known as the 'Bonus Army' were later dispersed by US Soldiers, showing how little respect the US Government has for their war veterans, many of whom have become unemployed as a result of the Great Depression. It is interesting that many of the former Allied Nations have been stricken with political instability, particularly in France and America, while the former Central Powers Empires have weathered the storm well all things considered, although both Germany and Austria-Hungary of course have plenty of their own problems.

pnVMlWmYp

In August there were a new round elections in Germany. The Social Democrats gained a large increase in seats most certainly as a result of the Great Depression but the Zentrum remained the largest Party in the Reichstag with Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck remaining Chancellor for another term. The Lion of Africa remains a universally popular figure across Germany and the economic crash seems to have not changed this at all. Surely he is the one to pull the Kaiserreich out of this Depression.

pm830uAdp

With many of Germany's former enemies struggling economically and seeing increased political instability it seemed a perfect time for the Germans to increase intelligence funding and attempt to destabilise their neighbours as much as they can. It wasn't long until weapons and other equipment were being covertly delivered to Monarchists in the Rhineland and ethnic Germans living in territory controlled by the Intermarium.

pmP8cPh9p

However, it seems that the Soviet Union is even less affected by the effects of the Great Depression and have even showed real signs of recovery from the chaotic 1920s and the Civil War. The USSR may have lost vital territory and resources after their defeat by the Poles in 1920 but the Bolsheviks may soon be in a position to recover lost territory as the Intermarium continues to struggle to hold their Union together with the divisions that existed in the last decade being noticeably exacerbated by the Depression.

pmfZTSMEp

As 1932 ended and 1933 began the German Government continue to introduce new policies to help the economy recover, the public works programs introduced the previous year are also beginning to bear fruit and it really does seem like a recovery is in fact on the horizon for Germany.

poUMqiLHp

The Americans were also taking their own steps to ease unrest as they finally repealed Prohibition after thirteen years. The banning of alcohol had proven unsuccessful as many groups found ways of circumventing the ban and with all the profits that could be made from re-legalising and taxing alcohol in the midst of this economic crisis it seemed obvious that Prohibition had to be ended.

po5Cpspxp

Back in Asia the Japanese, who by now had once again agreed to a truce with Nationalist China, once again seeked to find ways to expand their influence in the Chinese mainland. The Imperial Japanese Army, along with their Qing Allies, soon began sending troops west into Inner Mongolia were they were harassed by local guerrillas. These skirmishes would only prompt further Japanese incursions into Inner Mongolia, which the Qing had claimed as their historic territory and the Japanese were eager to bring it under their influence...

pn51PMhFp

...and these incursions soon led to the Battle of Jehol in which the Japanese and their allies successfully captured the Eastern part of Inner Mongolia which had been under the control of Chinese Warlord Zhang Xueliang. Jehol would soon be annexed into the Qing Empire as promised by the Japanese at the start of the campaign. Meanwhile back in Germany unemployment had started to decrease for the first time since 1929 as there were now definite signs of recovery. Once again things are looking positive for the Kaiserreich but even the most hardcore optimist can see that despite these good signs things are still far from good and the road to recovery will still be a long one.

plRZPM8np

As the Chinese continued to struggle to defeat the Communists or hold back the Japanese expansion certain regions took the chance to further escape the rule of Beijing. In the West of the Autonomous State of Xinjiang an Independent Uyghur Republic was formed that called itself the East Turkestan Republic. It remains to be seen how long this new state can last as the warlords in Xinjiang remain loyal to Beijing and may seek to crush these Uyghur separatists.

pn4jZhYvp

In April a German delegation was sent to Afghanistan to improve relations with the Middle Eastern Kingdom. Germany had unsuccessfully attempted to court Afghanistan as an ally during the Great War and the Kingdoms historic position as a buffer between British and Russian spheres of influence mean that this newly established cooperation between the two nations could have positive effects for both. Afghanistan is definitely a possible future ally should the Kaiserreich find herself at war with the Allies again.

pmXpZFtmp

Later in the month a new Trade Agreement was signed with the British as both nations seeked to improve relations. Kaiser Wilhelm III did not share his father's hatred of the British and the recent breakdown in relations between Britain and the Soviets had made the Kaiser hopeful that someday in the future an Anglo-German Alliance could be formed against the Bolsheviks to prevent them from expanding any further west. Of course this would also require the British to not take any action to prevent Germany from regaining her continental territory which even now seems unlikely.

plrVcDvfp

In Asia an official truce was finally signed between Japan and Nationalist China that ended the state of war that had existed since the Japanese Invasion of Manchuria in 1931. As part of the peace terms a small buffer state was set up between the Japanese-occupied parts of Northeast China and the rest of China. This small state would be known as the East Hebei Autonomous Government and would be subject to heavy Japanese influence.

pot70hg6p

Meanwhile in the Balkans Albania began attempting to fight back against Italian influence in their country by closing Italian schools. This action angered Mussolini but the Italian dictator stopped short of military action as he did not wish to antagonise the Austro-Hungarians who would undoubtedly have opposed Italian attempts to regain a foothold in the Balkans.

powbMb1Kp

Later in the year, opposition to British rule in India continued to increase in the Early 1930's as Independence Movements gained popularity. However, instead of seeking to free India through armed revolution the Indian Independence Movement instead advocated a non-violent course of Civil Disobedience which was personified by the actions of Mohandas Gandhi. From the German point of view it is good to see that the British are slowly losing their grip on their most valuable colony.

poB0DacOp

In November US President Franklin D. Roosevelt decided to finally extend American recognition of the Soviet Union. The United States had been staunchly Anti-Communist throughout the 1920's and had faced a Red Scare as a result of the Soviet victory in the Russian Civil War. In Berlin politicians can't help but wonder why the US has chosen to extend recognition to their former enemy now but some have suggested that this new American President sees the Germans as a greater threat to peace than the Soviets. It is sincerely hoped that this is not the case. Around the same time in China as the Civil War continued to be fought, a group of Anti-Kuomintang politicians in Fujian set up their own Government in defiance of Chiang Kai-Shek. Divisions in Nationalist China continue to increase and this has allowed the vastly outnumbered Communists to continue fighting. The possibility of China falling to Communism is of great concern not only to Germany but most western nations.

potk3ljep

In Ireland there was a growing Fascist movement as a group known as the Blueshirts began to gain some popularity amongst the Irish people. In December the Blueshirts and their leader Eoin O'Duffy attempted to March on Dublin in imitation of Benito Mussolini, whose own Fascist movement had greatly inspired the Blueshirts. However, the Irish Government forbade the Blueshirts from carrying out their march. O'Duffy agreed to call off the march but the Blueshirts were still banned not long after for holding several local parades commemorating Irish leaders who had died throughout the 1920's.

poQIgJ8Kp

As 1933 neared its end a new program was implemented in Germany as the Government approved a construction project for building large motorways throughout the country known as Autobahns. These Autobahns could greatly improve the nations infrastructure and the massive manpower required for such a project would create a lot of jobs, something still badly needed for the German people.

pmPAMvxtp

And so 1933 came to an end on a massively optimistic note for Germany, if Government projects such as these have their intended effect then Germany might possibly be one of the first countries to recover from the Great Depression, which in turn would give them a great advantage over the nations which still rule land that belongs to Germany. There is signs that the optimism of the late 1920s is returning and hopefully this will continue, especially as the Allies continue to face increased unrest both at home and in their colonies.

Is there like, an event chain where you can gain the rest of your stuff back peacefully, or are you gonna have to fight for it?

Well its possible for me to regain Bavaria without a fight...but after that if I want any other territory back I'm gonna have to fight someone for it

Of course von Lettow-Warbeck was very popular in Britain. I would not be surprised if, with a little care, a deal might be done.

Of course von Lettow-Warbeck was very popular in Britain. I would not be surprised if, with a little care, a deal might be done.
That would be slam dunk insane by the British. The restored Kaiserreich is bent on regaining all that they lost in WW1 so giving them any leeway is a sure fire way to have another French German war again in under 5 years time.

The British would rather look at the current status in Germany and think "Gee this is like things were in Europe before Bismarck isn't it? This suited us mighty fine back then, and will suit us fine again now. Let's keep it like that."

Keep in mind there's a huge and powerful Poland ruling all of eastern Europe. The British could just deal with them to "police" Germany together with the French for a very, very stable balance of power in Europe akin to the long peace period 1820-1863

I think that all depends on what happens with France. Remember that France is Britain's traditional enemy. The contretemps with Germany are far more recent.

Of course Germany may not wish to pursue the deal, but von Lettow-Warbeck's standing with the British is a resource to be carefully used for maximum effect.

I think that all depends on what happens with France. Remember that France is Britain's traditional enemy. The contretemps with Germany are far more recent.

Of course Germany may not wish to pursue the deal, but von Lettow-Warbeck's standing with the British is a resource to be carefully used for maximum effect.
Yeah but no. Britain's last war against France ended in 1815. Britain's last war with Germany cost several millions dead and ended 1918. And don't forget that Britain's involvement with WW1 started when Germany invaded Belgium on their way onto France, which was 150% against any kind of definition of British interests in continental Europe! And will definitely still be against British interests when it happens again.

Was it not a British statesman who said "Britain has no friends, only interests"?

A British appeasement of a revanchist Germany would be crazy.

A British appeasement of a revanchist Germany would be crazy.

Yet that's exactly what the Brits did in real life. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to drop by to announce that I've nominated this AAR for the Weekly AAR Showcase. Congratulations!

On the one hand you have a weaker Soviet Union, so a rearmed Germany isn't needed to keep them in check.
On the other, you have a much more "moderate" government in power in Germany, which controlls a lot less resources, so a rearming Germany is going to be weaker, not to forget that there is a massive Poland on the other side of Germany.
But to the south lies a massive resurgent Austria-Hungary, which gives Germany a lot more breathing space when it comes to any future conflict, since Poland also has to man the souther border and Milan is just a few hundred kilometers from the French border.

I could see Britain being interested in some kind of alliance with Germany if the Soviets were stronger but the fact that the Intermarium exists as a buffer between the USSR and Central Europe gives them some breathing space in that matter. While the growing strength of the Soviets would certainly be of concern to the British I'd imagine that they'd look at the reformed German & Austro-Hungarian Empires and wonder what was the point of the devastating war that cost them millions of lives only to let two of the Empires they defeated rise again and ignore the treaties imposed on them and they would probably feel some bitterness towards the Empires about that. Yeah the Germans are less politically extreme here than in OTL but I think the weaker Soviet Union pretty much balances that out and just like in OTL the British would have no love for either of them but unlike real-life I could definitely see the Brits favouring Germany over the Soviets in the event of war between them, I suppose it won't be long until we find out for sure

Yet that's exactly what the Brits did in real life. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to drop by to announce that I've nominated this AAR for the Weekly AAR Showcase. Congratulations!

Wow thanks very much, its greatly appreciated :)

Was Britain's traditional enemy. ;)

Since then, we've had two neat little wars together (Crimea and WW1), and a few decades of being each other's favourite trading partners, Entente Cordiale and all that. Cold Imperial logic calls for Britain being wary of Germany no matter what its relationship with France is...

Since then, we've had two neat little wars together (Crimea and WW1), and a few decades of being each other's favourite trading partners, Entente Cordiale and all that. Cold Imperial logic calls for Britain being wary of Germany no matter what its relationship with France is...
For the sake of pragmatism, I will say that Britain should be more concerned about France in that moment. The Third Republic is an unstable state ready to fall under communist regime while Germany is shattered and lacking a dangerous fleet to keep up with the British Home Fleet. I think that even full consolidation of the Kaiserreich wouldn't warrant English aggression as it would take far too long for the Second Reich to restore a fleet and, even in that case, it wouldn't be able to beat the Home Fleet. One of Germany's own strategy in WW1 was having small fleets covering the colonies' seas, stretching the British Fleet and reducing its effectiveness. This is no more replicable without colonies. Maybe getting a custom event to approach Japan and ask Qingdao return in exchange of recognising Manchukuo and remove military mission from China?

For the sake of pragmatism, I will say that Britain should be more concerned about France in that moment. The Third Republic is an unstable state ready to fall under communist regime while Germany is shattered and lacking a dangerous fleet to keep up with the British Home Fleet. I think that even full consolidation of the Kaiserreich wouldn't warrant English aggression as it would take far too long for the Second Reich to restore a fleet and, even in that case, it wouldn't be able to beat the Home Fleet. One of Germany's own strategy in WW1 was having small fleets covering the colonies' seas, stretching the British Fleet and reducing its effectiveness. This is no more replicable without colonies. Maybe getting a custom event to approach Japan and ask Qingdao return in exchange of recognising Manchukuo and remove military mission from China?

British aggression? Certainly not. As a matter of fact, modern European history showed no sign of British aggression ever. Britain just consistently sided with the weaker powers, as they had an active interest in keeping the status quo. In the long run, a German reunified state is a greater cause for British concern than even a fired-up France, because of 1) economy and 2) demography.

Not so was when you consider we came close to war a few times in the latter half of the 19th century, and there is nothing inherent about the cross-channel Entente. And just because one is not at war does not mean one is not engaged in conflits both various and diverse, not to mention serious with the added spice of occasional lethality. :D

British aggression? Certainly not. As a matter of fact, modern European history showed no sign of British aggression ever. Britain just consistently sided with the weaker powers, as they had an active interest in keeping the status quo. In the long run, a German reunified state is a greater cause for British concern than even a fired-up France, because of 1) economy and 2) demography.
"No British aggression ever", only true for Europe, the rest of the world (and particularly Africa and Asia) encountered British aggression more than once.

"No British aggression ever", only true for Europe, the rest of the world (and particularly Africa and Asia) encountered British aggression more than once.

Well as an Irish person I can assure you that wasn't true for all of Europe haha...but he was talking about modern history which I'm assuming means 20th Century onwards but even then there were instances of British aggression like the Suez Crisis to name just one so...yeah.

But anyway I have enjoyed catching up with this discussion and I starting to wonder with a Revanchist Kaiserreich, a France with rising political extremism, a resurgent Soviet Russia and Japan just going crazy in East Asia if Britain would be tempted to just be like 'screw this' and return to the days of Splendid Isolation and playing happy families with their Commonwealth friends. Especially since trying to preserve the balance of power gets a whole lot messier when you throw Communists and Fascists into the mix.

That quote mentioned above describes British foreign policy perfectly - "Britain has no friends only interests" - Of course they're not going to want to see the Germans dominating Continental Europe but if France actually went Communist they could potentially ally with the Soviets and Invade Central Europe which could lead to a Europe dominated by Communism...also a no-no for the British. So it's kind of a rock and a hard place situation for them at the moment.

Maybe getting a custom event to approach Japan and ask Qingdao return in exchange of recognising Manchukuo and remove military mission from China?

That would actually be a great idea for an event in this mod and I'm annoyed I never thought of it until now haha. I'll certainly be looking into creating my own custom events for future AAR's, its something I knew how to do once upon a time but guess I'll have to relearn it...but of course there's a lot of potential for even more epic AAR's if it goes well.

Hello again everyone who has followed this AAR...unfortunately I come with bad news

So I had been storing all the screenshots for this AAR on my USB drive but just a couple days ago the damn thing broke, destroying a vast majority of my files, I was able to salvage some things but unfortunately the screenshots for this were not among them and seem to be permanently gone.

This means that I can't properly complete this AAR, however if people are interested I can post up a summary of the important events from 1934 onwards but of course it won't be as in depth as previous posts...and believe me I'm more pissed off about this than any of you haha

But don't worry I'm not done with AAR writing, however I won't be starting another AAR for Peace Without Victory until after the next release and after I've had some chance to play it. In the meantime I'm gonna start a new AAR for a different mod...although I'm not sure which one yet...feel free to leave suggestions for that and I'm hoping to have something new started by the end of the week.

In the meantime assuming you guys want it I'll get around to writing the summary for this when I'm slightly less bitter - although that may not be the worst mindset for writing about Interbellum Germany haha - so expect that in the next few days.

Apologies to those of you who were enjoying this AAR but I absolutely will do a reboot of it someday once I've done AAR's for the countries I'm excited to play as in the next version of PwV - and hey by then I should be better at doing AAR's too so there's that :)

If you want to do another Darkest Hour modded AAR, Fatherland and Thunder in the Sky are both great post-WW2 alternative history mods, imo.

I'll read whatever you decide to do, though. You are a pretty good writer, especially considering this is your first. :)