• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And just like that the hope of the last few years is all but extinguished by the storm of international commerce gone awry.

New Chapter time...

Chapter 22 (1930-1931)
The new decade began with Germany in a bad place. The Economic Crash in America had destroyed the economy of almost every major country on earth in a global recession that was now being referred to as the Great Depression. Meanwhile the Allied nations of the Great War met in London to agree on a new Naval Treaty that would further reduce and regulate the size of their navies. Interestingly Italy did not attend this conference as their defeat by Austria-Hungary four years ago and their earlier split with the Allies left them increasingly isolated. Many wonder what the weakened Fascist State will do as Mussolini's ambitions to recreate the prestige of the old Roman Empire seem to not have been tempered by this isolation.

pnEJ1xN3p

Meanwhile in Germany the Government was continuing to do everything they could to combat the unemployment rate that was continuing to rise dramatically. The long-term program known as the 'Battle against Unemployment' continued while several public works programs were created as well. Neither of these policies have stopped the rise in unemployment but it is early days yet.

pnWs4kijp

In November the latest round of Elections in Austria-Hungary saw a Conservative Coalition gain power in Vienna. Ever since the reestablishment of the Habsburg Monarchy their government was controlled by a selection of nobles but now power has shifted to actual political parties. Germany hoped that this Conservative Coalition would seek to retain Austria-Hungary's good relations with Berlin as the powerful Dual Monarchy remains an important potential ally for Germany's ambitions to regain her old power at the expense of the Allies.

po78dcltp

Not long after an agreement was signed in Italy between Mussolini and Pope Pius XI regarding the status of the Vatican, where the Popes had resided ever since the integration of Rome into the Kingdom of Italy in 1870. This Treaty recognised the Independence of the Vatican from the rest of Italy and also agreed that the Italian Government would compensate the Catholic Church for their annexation of the Papal States.

pl0Yn0RZp

In the United States, a series of dust storms ravaged much of the American Midwest. These dust storms, which collectively became known as the 'Dust Bowl' occurred as a result of severe droughts in the hotter inland states and as the year ended there didn't seem to be an end to them, it is possible they will continue to rage in the Midwest for several years yet.

pobgvmGcp

The year of 1931 started with a bang in Germany as another border skirmish on their western border with the Republic in the Rhineland. This two-day battle, known as the 'New Years Day Skirmish' resulted in 40 deaths for the Republicans and 24 Imperial deaths, there were also over 50 wounded on each side before the fighting ceased. Clearly the volatile Inter-German border is far from being settled. Although it is still hoped in Berlin that neither this border nor the upstart Republicans on the other side of it will still exist by the end of the decade.

poB1bdzXp

Meanwhile in Italy the Fascist Government was doing its best to reverse the effects of the Great Depression and had begun implementing widespread public works programs. It wouldn't be long before these programs bore fruit as the unemployment rate in Italy dropped for the first time since the Wall Street Crash. At this rate Italy could be the first country to properly pull itself out of the Depression. Maybe Germany ought to take some lessons from the Italians as their own public works schemes had failed to reverse the still rising unemployment.

poDeCqiOp

In Japan there was a Military Coup by an Ultranationalist Secret Society known as the Sakurakai who seeked to install a new Head of the Government in Tokyo. However, this coup ended in failure after the Sakurakai and their allies failed to gain enough public support to carry out their plan. Far-Right political factions continue to cause trouble in Japan in a situation that has only grown worse since the Depression started.

pmkxioQlp

Back in Europe there were dramatically rising political tensions in Spain and after a landslide victory for the Republicans in a series of local elections the Spanish Monarchy was abolished and King Alfonso XIII fled into exile with the Second Spanish Republic being proclaimed not long after. Now this new Republican Government, which was led by Niceto Alcala-Zamora, has the tough job of passing the reforms demanded by the Left-leaning Republicans while also trying to pacify the Right-leaning traditionalists. It will not be an easy job and the situation is something that could potentially be exploited by Germany as well as others.

pozvubU3p

pndtYVvzp

Meanwhile back East the Philippines, which had been under US control since the end of the Spanish-American War, was finally granted self-governance as the so-called Commonwealth of the Philippines. The islands remain under heavy US influence and their naval bases there will continue to allow them to project their naval power across the Pacific should they need to, which may come in handy especially as their relations with Japan have gradually worsened in recent years.

poh22kc9p

As for Japan, in Mid-September after a staged border incident the Imperial Japanese Army Invaded Manchuria, which at this point was still under the control of the Fengtian Clique. The well-trained Japanese Military faced little resistance and by the end of the year the entire region had been brought under Japanese control. Not long after the puppet state of Manchukuo was established. This aggressive action by the increasingly militant Japanese was condemned by their former allies and Japan soon withdrew from the League of Nations after protests against their conduct. This was the final break between Japan and the Allies of the Great War. Judging by the performance of the Imperial Japanese Army they could potentially become a useful ally to Germany in the future. Although there are many politicians in Berlin who remember that it was Japan who took possession of Germany's pacific colonies during the Great War and their political shift to the right is also of concern to the more traditionalist Germans.

plkhjl5mp

Not long after their conquest of Manchuria the Japanese Government decided to allow Manchukuo to reform the Qing Dynasty in their territory. The former Emperor Pu Yi was soon crowned in the city of Yanji which would operate as the Qing capital for the time being. The Japanese are clearly hoping to gain the support of Chinese Monarchists as they continue to engage in skirmishes with Nationalist China on the border with Manchuria. It will be interesting to see if this strategy helps Japan to defeat the Chinese and fulfil their ambitions to reduce the once powerful Chinese to vassals of Tokyo.

pmpoZ7D8p

As the year of 1931 came to an end, the economic situation in Germany remained dire. Although Government programs had managed to somewhat stabilise the situation it may be some time yet before a proper recovery can begin. This situation is very reminiscent of the situation after the Great War, particularly in 1923 when things got so bad the Monarchists were able to gain power. It is hoped that that particular part of history doesn't repeat as Anti-Monarchist groups within the Kaiserreich have begun to grow in strength since the Depression happened. Who knows what the next few years will bring for Germany...

Qing restoration. But in my game, Japan don't give them any territories in China.

Yeah they probably won't do it here either but we'll have to see...would make more sense for Japan to want to keep their Chinese territories as divided as possible anyway.

Yeah they probably won't do it here either but we'll have to see...would make more sense for Japan to want to keep their Chinese territories as divided as possible anyway.
Qing restoration. But in my game, Japan don't give them any territories in China.

Great Update!

Like i'm said before in my dev diaries, in a coming version of PWV Fengtian Clique will have opportunity to re-unite China, so there is a chance that the Mukden incident will never happen, and the Japanese will have to attack China from Korea, Port Arthur or Qindao. Zhili Clique and Kuomintang also will have opportunity to integrate Manchuria long before a Mukden incident (Alternatives).

I also remind once again that Zhili Clique and Fengtian Clique will have opportunity to restore Qing Empire (Somewhere in a middle of 1920s)

Last edited:
Great Update!

Like i'm said before in my dev diaries, in a coming version of PWV Fengtian Clique will have opportunity to re-unite China, so there is a chance that the Mukden incident will never happen, and the Japanese will have to attack China from Korea, Port Arthur or Qindao. Zhili Clique and Kuomintang also will have opportunity to integrate Manchuria long before a Mukden incident (Alternatives).

I also remind once again that Zhili Clique and Fengtian Clique will have opportunity to restore Qing Empire (Somewhere in a middle of 1920s)

Oh Yeah China is going to be a LOT of fun in the next version...can't wait to see and play it :D

The world moves on, but nothing very positive. I mean, not excessively bad either, but if there is much in the way of good news there I didn't see it.

The dissent penalty of +6 for the border skirmishes seems extremely harsh. Should be +2.

The world moves on, but nothing very positive. I mean, not excessively bad either, but if there is much in the way of good news there I didn't see it.

As above; I'm getting the impression of a bowstring being drawn farther and farther back, waiting for all that tension to be released before it reaches a breaking point.

Indeed, Germany - like most of the world - will have to work hard just to stop themselves from falling into chaos, after all who knows what kind of strange political movements are just waiting for an opportunity to take advantage of this situation.

The dissent penalty of +6 for the border skirmishes seems extremely harsh. Should be +2.

Eh, maybe it is but then again I wouldn't imagine a lot of people would be happy with German soldiers dying in random border skirmishes in their own backyard. Not to mention that even the existence of the German Republic on the other side of the Rhine is a constant reminder of how weak the Kaiserreich still is.

@stevefitz744

That border gore in the east and west both is offensive.
Please tell me its going to be corrected someday!

Don't worry the borders are going to be fixed just as soon as the Deutsches Heer is powerful enough to make it happen

Hello all, just a quick update and FYI

The new chapter of this hastily-named AAR will be out later today and will cover the years 1932-33

Now, for those of you who don't know, when I get to 1933 you're going to start seeing Nazi Germany events popping up for the Kaiserreich. This is something that happens in the mod and I'm going to try my best to describe the events in a way that makes sense in the context of this alternate timeline but what I say may be contradicted by what you see in the picture...its won't be perfect but its the best I can do. Besides this issue has been fixed for the new version of PwV (at least I'm pretty certain it has) so this is the only AAR in which I'll have to do this.

Anyway, thanks as always for all the support and comments and stay tuned for the next chapter very soon :)

You might just not tell us about those nazi events. That'll be simpler, easier and better.

Not really an option since some of the events are important and cannot be ignored...I'll probably only mention events that feature stuff the Kaiserreich would have done too, but that still leaves quite a lot of events where I'll have to ignore mentions of the Charlie Chaplin imitator and his friends.

Not really an option since some of the events are important and cannot be ignored...I'll probably only mention events that feature stuff the Kaiserreich would have done too, but that still leaves quite a lot of events where I'll have to ignore mentions of the Charlie Chaplin imitator and his friends.

You might edit the German events file yourself, and remove nazi events in this way, or make them more kaiser-like.