• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No I don't have multiple installations.
And this is Steam version
Then with Steam it's easier to use the Beta function.

Find "Darkest Hour a Heart of Iron Game" in the list of your games, then right click on it and select "Properties".
In the Properties, select the Beta tab and from there you can select 1.05.1 - Darkest Hour 1.05.1.
Just select it and close the properties, the update should begin immediately!

Hello, faced with the crash. Crash occurs when you select any item from the main menu. Reinstalling didn't help. I rolled the patch back to 1.04, but the game continued to crash. What should I do?

Hello, faced with the crash. Crash occurs when you select any item from the main menu. Reinstalling didn't help. I rolled the patch back to 1.04, but the game continued to crash. What should I do?
Hi, this is unusual. Please provide more information.
Is this your first time playing DH? If not, did it work in the past?
Is this the Steam version?
What operating system are you using?

No, I have been playing DH for a long time, since 2016, but I paused and haven't played in a long time, the latest version I played is 1.04. Yesterday I installed a new patch 1.051 and only then faced difficulties. Steam has been updated to the latest version. Operating system-Windows 8.1. By default, I use the built-in translation of the game, but the error persists in the English version. Changing the screen resolution also doesn't help.
P.S. Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker and I can make serious mistakes.
UPD: 1)after another reinstallation, all files were successfully tested for integrity, but the game continued to crash. 2)Now the game crash only when you click on "SINGLE PLAYER".

Error text:
Problem signature:
Problem event name: APPCRASH
Application name: Darkest Hour.exe
Application version: 1.0.4.0
The timestamp of the application: 55f49d34
Name of module with error: the Darkest Hour.exe
The version of the module with the error: 1.0.4.0
The time stamp module with the error: 55f49d34
Exception code: c0000005
Exception offset: 0012d499
OS version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
Language code: 1049
More information 1: 31 f6
More information 2: 31f67c4d9a87ff8709201cc1b7de8583
Additional details 3: 4215
More information 4: 42150abd4becc01b248a45c9d05fd2f3

Last edited:
This is very strange, it's not something that has been reported before. I'm unsure what the issue might be.
It is especially weird that you can start the game and then it crash on pushing a button inside the game, that's something I have not heard before IIRC.

It should not be linked to this, but just to be sure, try enabling DirectPlay as LegacyComponent:
IIRC there was an issue with an Nvidia update that was solved only in 1.05/1.05.1, so if the above doesn't work, try checking your Graphic card.

Perhaps your steam app is "updating" the directory with legacy data? There should be some way to disable steam from monitoring the version for DH. In your crash log windows is reporting the .exe is version 1.04 you see.

Reading up on it after installing, updating to 1.05 then 1.05.1 manually; don't run DH from your Steam application. Run the game from it's home directory.

I already had this component [DirectPlay] turned on. The tests did not reveal any failures of the video card, other games, including more resource-intensive, work without failures. Yes, and DH working a training mission, including the latest with the organization of a landing on Taiwan. Perhaps this will be important, when I press any of the menu items there is a small friezes.

возможно, ваше приложение steam "обновляет" каталог с устаревшими данными? Должен быть какой-то способ отключить steam от мониторинга версии для DH. В вашем журнале сбоев Windows сообщает .exe версия 1.04 вы видите.

Чтение на нем после установки, обновление до 1.05 затем 1.05.1 вручную; не запускайте DH из Вашего приложения Steam. Запустите игру из домашнего каталога.[/ЦИТАТА

Журнал сбоев, когда я откатил версию назад. Вот журнал сбоев из последней версии
Сигнатура проблемы
Имя события проблемы: APPCRASH
Название приложения: Darkest Hour.исполняемый
Версия приложения: 1.0.5.1
Отметка времени применения: 5a8494c4
Имя модуля с ошибкой: самый темный час.исполняемый
Версия модуля с ошибкой: 1.0.5.1
Модуль отметка времени с ошибкой: 5a8494c4
Код исключения: c0000005
Смещение исключения: 00134575
Версия операционной системы: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
Код языка: 1049
Дополнительная информация 1: 31 f6
Больше информации 2: 31f67c4d9a87ff8709201cc1b7de8583
Больше информации 3: 130b
Больше информации 4: 130b5641bbc04f3b0baee5a39f3d969a

I was able to restore the performance of the game. I deleted the game and all related files manually and downloaded the game again. Now it works. Thank you so much for helping me restore access to my favorite game. It seems that the reason for the failures was some file that failed during the removal of the game through the Steam menu.

Most likely the problem was in one of the saves.
I just remembered, what during the game, having built a powerful economy on the basis of Communist China, I arranged devaluation several hundred times without restrictions, although in the old patches, the number of possible devaluations was also large, but it was still smaller.

Last edited:
One 'bug' i've found with 1.05.1 is that the naval end of combat message isn't firing until the next day tick. I believe it reported on the hour tick in 1.04. Might not seem like much but, little things can be a hint of larger problems.