• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some WIP stuff, some of which is far from guaranteed to make it without substantial changes.

Unique Doctrines:

View attachment 422415

In order: Ancestor Veneration + Animistic, Meritocracy + Astrology, Meritocracy + Animistic.

View attachment 422414

In order: Equality + Unrelenting, Sea-Bound (minus river movement) + Animistic, Meritocracy + Ancestor Veneration.

View attachment 422416

In order, ignoring the first: Haruspicy + Ancestor Veneration, Haruspicy + Animistic.

Some of the above are considerably more final than others.

Current (non-Cosmopolitan/non-Dogmatic reformation) Tianxia pagan intermarriages (not final):
Sanamahi - Hindu, Jain, Buddhist
Shenist - Taoist, Thanist, Muist, Buddhist
Muist - Taoist, Buddhist, Shenist, Ryukyuan
Ainu - Shinto, Tengri
Ryukyuan - Muist, Shinto
Thanist - Taoist, Buddhist, Shenist
Kaharingan - Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, Melanesian
Melanesian - Kaharingan

Every reformed religion also intermarries with its unreformed "heresy", at present, and any religion that allows intermarriage while unreformed allows it while reformed, too (unless either party goes Dogmatic).

Shinto:

View attachment 422420

Something is a bit different and very final here. Other things, not so much.

Seas of the East:

View attachment 422418

Can't say how final this is at the moment, but chances are a lot of islands will have significantly more strategic value than they previously had, similar to what happened in the Mediterranean with 3.0.

Again, this is WIP stuff, so things could change a lot. Also, ignore the attachments; they're nothing that you can't see above.
Little typo in the Shinto description: n instead of \n.
Looking good, obviously :)

Little typo in the Shinto description: n instead of \n.
Looking good, obviously :)

That description (and a bunch of other localization) haven't been changed anytime recently, so I take no responsibility for any errors there. Someone probably should go through everything and check for typos and errors sometime soon, but there are some more critical things that take precedence at the moment.

That description (and a bunch of other localization) haven't been changed anytime recently, so I take no responsibility for any errors there. Someone probably should go through everything and check for typos and errors sometime soon, but there are some more critical things that take precedence at the moment.
I wasn't holding you responsible, I was just letting you know. If a work of mine had a typo, I would want to know.

I wasn't holding you responsible, I was just letting you know. If a work of mine had a typo, I would want to know.

No worries; I took it for what you meant. I just wanted to point out that it is known that "Here there be typos!" happens to be an accurate description at present and that there is a risk that that won't be fixed right away.

Shito could use mention of a couple more individual Kami by name, especially those responsible for rain and rice - even samurai were paid in rice iirc.
Yup.

Caused a massive crisis for them when new farming techniques basically rendered the formerly filthy rich Samurai into normal (or even poor) schmucks.

Disregarding the map update and anything related to it (e.g. landed titles and the Silk Road), the compatibility update has progressed quite far. Most things unrelated to the map update have been done about as far as possible prior to the map update being completed. The main exception at the moment is the event files, of which a bit less than two thirds have been checked at this point.

There are a few minor-ish leftovers that suggestions would be appreciated for:

- Names for Great Pillars for Tianxia's pagan religions (Sanamahi, Shenist, Muist, Ainu, Ryukyuan, Thanist, Kaharingan, and Melanesian). Just going for "Great Pillar" is an option, but flavourful names are preferrable.

- Names for Warrior Lodges for Tianxia's pagan religions. Since all (non-Aztec/-generic) pagans get a Warrior Lodge in vanilla, all of Tianxia's pagans ideally should get one.

- Unique(ish) powers for the Warrior Lodges (as for the vanilla ones) that are easy to implement. Giving them nothing for now is an option, but I'm sure people would appreciate them having some flavour.

- Input as to which vanilla Warrior Lodge outfits would be best for a specific Tianxia Warrior Lodge. Being able to tell at a glance if someone is a member of a Warrior Lodge is good, so even if none of them might be perfect they need something.

- Input as to which war paint/tattoos would be best for a specific Tianxia Warrior Lodge. As above, something is necessary (assuming they are to have access to those things) even if it might not be entirely fitting.

As for the map update, that still has quite a bit to go before it is completed. At present, additions to Africa just to the south of where the vanilla map ends is the next major step forward (well, aside from filling in proper positions and province names for various sea zones...). If anyone has any good maps covering West/Central/East Africa north of the red line in the picture below that could be used to figure out a good province setup for the relevant time period, now would be an excellent time to share them.

Africa.png

OMG, this is the divine map of Africa! And looking to the future, I do not think that you can find an adequate map for South Africa from the 8th to the 13th century ...

The map above is just (an outdated) version of the EU4 province map, so don't get overly excited. We'll not be changing the vanilla provinces at all, nor will we be extending the map south beyond roughly where the red line is located (and the inclusion of that is simply because the projection makes it necessary).

Here's a map of Africa that a friend of mine compiled when he made an EU3 mod years ago. Some of the names are anachronistic for CKII, but you can always Google them and see which ones fit and which don't: https://sta.sh/02eqys75cipb

As for the map update, that still has quite a bit to go before it is completed. At present, additions to Africa just to the south of where the vanilla map ends is the next major step forward (well, aside from filling in proper positions and province names for various sea zones...). If anyone has any good maps covering West/Central/East Africa north of the red line in the picture below that could be used to figure out a good province setup for the relevant time period, now would be an excellent time to share them.

View attachment 425458

Well, here's all the Africa maps I have with me, I got then from diferent sources over time, there's also some ideas I was wanting to suggest to the CK2+ team, but I'll wait up on that for now.

Attachments

• AfricaMaps.zip
    26,6 MB · Views: 28
Development Diary 14: Amending Africa Again
Dev Diary 14 - Amending Africa Again

This will be fairly short, but hopefully still informative.

Work on compatibility and the map update is progressing fairly nicely. Africa has been updated as far as the province and de jure structure goes (province and title history still needs to be done), though there might still be some polishing done.

If there are any mistakes, feel free to point them out. All title colours will be updated down the line to (hopefully; with a few thousand titles, it is hard to be sure...) be unique.

West/Central Africa:
Provinces:

ck2_16.png

De jure duchies:

ck2_8.png

De jure kingdoms:

ck2_10.png

De jure empires:

ck2_11.png

Culture:

ck2_5.png

Everything is African pagan right now, so I'll not post a screenshot of that.

In total, there are nineteen new provinces (and a wasteland), five new duchies, two new kingdoms, and one new culture added beyond what vanilla has.

East Africa:
Provinces:

ck2_17.png

De jure duchies:

ck2_13.png

De jure kingdoms:

ck2_12.png

Everything is in e_abyssinia, so I'm not posting a screenshot of that.

Culture:

ck2_14.png

Religion:

ck2_18.png

In total, there are thirteen new provinces, five new duchies, and two new kingdoms in the area.

Last edited:
By the way, the next area to be worked on is basically all of the islands south of Taiwan (excluding Hainan); the Philippines, Borneo, Sulawesi, Java, Sumatra, and miscellaneous smaller islands in the area. As before, any maps or other references for the province layout would be helpful, even though the planned changes here are somewhat smaller in scope than those in Africa and some other areas.

Development Diary 15: Splitting Up Sumatra
Dev Diary 15 - Splitting up Sumatra (+ minor changes to Java)

This will be another short dev diary. Again, stuff is still somewhat WIP, and you should feel free to point out any mistakes (particularly since the projection is rather weird here and that might cause some mistakes). Also, the title history files haven't been transferred yet, so everything is independent instead of where it should be.

Sumatra:
Sumatra has been significantly expanded from 2.8; including the miscellaneous islands that are part of the kingdoms on Sumatra, it has gone from 36 provinces to 55 provinces.

Provinces:
ck2_19.png

The county of Nicobar is possibly a bit hard to make out, but it can be found where you'd expect it to be.

ck2_24.png

De jure duchies:
ck2_20.png

ck2_25.png

De jure kingdoms:
ck2_21.png

ck2_26.png

Culture:
ck2_22.png

ck2_27.png

Religion:
ck2_23.png

ck2_28.png

Since there might be some performance concerns arising when you hear that there's been plenty of provinces added, you should be aware that the relative percentage of provinces added with 3.0 Tianxia compared to 3.0 vanilla is projected to be similar to that of 2.8 Tianxia compared to 2.8 vanilla, and that there currently has been fewer provinces added than what was projected for the areas that have been covered so far.

Java:
The provinces are largely unchanged, but one has been split (Kedri into Kedri + Malang) and three tiny ones have been merged (into Lombok), resulting in a net loss of one province.

Provinces:
ck2_34.png

De jure duchies:
ck2_30.png

Everything not shown as part of k_palembang earlier is in k_java, so I'll not post a screenshot of that.

Culture:
ck2_32.png

Ignore the random Malay provinces; they were changed to Javanese after the screenshot was taken.

Religion:
ck2_33.png

All of the areas covered today are still part of e_nusantara, so I'll not post a map of de jure empires.

Also, this is probably not the only dev diary that's coming this week, so you might want to check back here in a few days...

Last edited:
How will these new areas in Asia be in terms of technology? Do you plan on leaving them without anything or will some places be more "advanced" than others?

There already is (and will be) some difference between different areas, much like in the rest of the world, but you should expect e.g. all of the Korean Peninsula to have the same tech level at any given start instead of there being a difference on a duchy-by-duchy basis.

What portraits are you using for Papuans? I think west African looks closest.

There are no Papuans on the map since the projection is such that Papua is entirely offmap (which, to my limited knowledge on the subject, would mean that the number of Papuan provinces and characters would be zero or close to it; looking at the language map from Wikipedia, only the south-westernmost bit of red colour is on the Tianxia map), but West African would probably be the best fit if the culture was added (which it is somewhat unlikely to be for just one province).

In the future will you be able to be the Emperor of China with its government while following the native Chinese Folk Religion? (forgot the name the mod uses; I think it's called Shennist?) I found it kind of weird that you couldn't, but that was in September so it could have changed. I'm somewhat against the religion restriction, as I think that practically you only have Taoism or Shennism to pick from when owning the Chinese heartland (unless you like no moral authority and exploding into heresy if you pick anything that can have heresies), but if the restriction were to stay, I think that the Chinese Folk religion should also be a religion you can follow while maintaining the Empire of China government system.

Speaking of religion, is it possible to do anything as a Nestorian in China or is it just there for historical purposes?

In the future will you be able to be the Emperor of China with its government while following the native Chinese Folk Religion? (forgot the name the mod uses; I think it's called Shennist?) I found it kind of weird that you couldn't, but that was in September so it could have changed. I'm somewhat against the religion restriction, as I think that practically you only have Taoism or Shennism to pick from when owning the Chinese heartland (unless you like no moral authority and exploding into heresy if you pick anything that can have heresies), but if the restriction were to stay, I think that the Chinese Folk religion should also be a religion you can follow while maintaining the Empire of China government system.

Speaking of religion, is it possible to do anything as a Nestorian in China or is it just there for historical purposes?

I've been considering revisiting that restriction at some point (it isn't a priority at present), but there are some potential issues with allowing it for other religions. One issue is that we'd allow people to play as a Chinese Imperial China without JD (or RoI, since that also allows playable Taoists), though since it would be perfectly possible to mod in a government with the exact same features without JD that isn't necessarily a problem (especially since our Chinese Imperial already isn't 100 % the same as the vanilla one). Another issue is that access to the Grace system currently is tied to holding China and being Chinese Imperial (and having JD active) and that that system might become nonsensical with a weird HF Shenist reformation (e.g. if you go Warmongering/Unrelenting + Enatic Clans + Daring + Temporal, your China suddenly is very un-Chinese, and even with fewer changes you might have a rather weird China), though implementing a stricter trigger there might work (though certain parts of the Grace system might need to be disabled for a reformation that might allow most of it; if you pick Polygamy, the general system might still be sensible, but sending concubines to China is no longer an option, and if you pick Divine Blood then Imperial Marriages shouldn't be a thing since the EoC should want to keep things in the family).

There's also the fact that we have to determine what we consider "Chinese enough" and that we'll probably not satisfy everyone regardless of where we draw the line, and it would risk becoming a mess to implement less strict requirements. For example, someone might argue that a Han Reformed Muist (with Cosmopolitan + Meritocracy (or the unique Muist doctrine, which grants the benefits of Meritocracy) + Stability + Autonomous, which essentially is the same as what Taoism has (it lacks Hermetic access (which hardly is overly Chinese) and a couple of other minor things)) ruler of China is "Chinese enough" to get access to Chinese Imperial (and being the "target" of the Grace system, with JD). Perhaps that character might be (and perhaps we should consider allowing that combination, if we are loosening the restrictions), but what if the culture (or even base reformed religion) was Norse? What if one (or more) of the features was swapped out (and what if the swap was X to Y, rather than X to Z, or A to B?)? What of other near-Taoist religions (e.g. Buddhism and Jainism shares a bunch of features with Taoism, as does our Shinto religion)? What if the character belongs to the (newly added; there's a small reveal that isn't just a map tweak!) Bloodline of a Chinese Imperial ruler (pretender or not)? What if their dynasty is from the Chinese culture group (possibly even a historical imperial dynasty), even if the character isn't? Even worse, for those who might not particularly want to play a Chinese Imperial China (for whatever reason) but want to play as China it might not be particularly welcome if we are very generous with what we allow, unless we also add a way to turn it off (which would be extra work, regardless of how it was implemented).

I'm not going to say that a change will happen, or that a change won't happen, but it isn't a decision I'll make lightly (or that I think that someone else should make lightly; it isn't strictly my call to make, even if I implemented the current restriction with full permission at the time), and if the decision is made to allow a Chinese Imperial China for more religions (with or without access to the Grace system, in whole or in part) it wouldn't be as simple as changing one line of code, even before we consider stuff like weird reformations and whether there are combinations of culture/religion/Bloodlines/dynasty/etc. that should be exceptions to the normal rules (whether allowing or disallowing things).

As for Nestorians in China, I believe that we only have (or had; the current internal 3.0 version hasn't got China in it yet due to the map update not having gotten that far, and character/title history hasn't been transferred at all at this point) provinces rather than characters at present (at least inside China proper; there were some Nestorian nomads to the north, I believe), suggesting they only were there for historical purposes, but they were there since before I joined the team so I don't know if there were any plans to do anything with them or not, and at present adding anything special for them isn't a priority (updating our files for 3.0, adding some small things that are "necessary" to add for 3.0 (e.g. unique Doctrines for our pagans), the map update, and filling in title histories at least at the top liege level are the main things we're focusing on right now). You'd presumably be able to play a Nestorian in China without any actual issues, though, since your liege(s) won't have religious title revokation allowed unless they change to a non-Taoist religion (or culture-swap from the Chinese group, since that removes the (feudal, Tianxia) Confucian Bureaucracy government at present).