2.2 robots are nearly worthless (along with Machine Empires, Mechanist, and Synethic Ascension)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My only issue with it, is that in the past you never needed to worry about growing food at all for a machine empire to generate energy you just constructed the power plants. Now you have this middle man to put it, which imo justr over complicates things.
For DA, I enjoyed the rules that didn't require food for cyborg maintenance (though they got a bonus to growth with a food surplus). I can live with the new rules. I just want more control, especially since auto-optimization of jobs based upon traits is not working. I'm not trying to run some kind of hippy commune where pops can just do whatever they want whether it's best for the empire or not.

My only issue with it, is that in the past you never needed to worry about growing food at all for a machine empire to generate energy you just constructed the power plants. Now you have this middle man to put it, which imo justr over complicates things.
Eh, they're buildings which don't require jobs and produce a decent amount of power. Not requiring jobs can be a double edged sword, but one of those edges (that you may not be able to provide jobs to keep a large population occupied) is certainly blunted when playing as a servitor (if you want more pop count on a planet just slap down an organic paradise and robots are free to go to where the jobs are). It's not so much that there's a "middle man", more just that the pops that WOULD have to be working the power plant don't have to work the power plant and have to work the farms instead. I'm not sure why they've done it like this, but I can't state that there's no reason.

With regards to food and robots: having an option to make biofuel is not bad, but we should have an option to opt out too. Do this via policy, “organic matter protocol” or whatever. If off - no food buildings or technology.

If yes - make a food tech optioj for robots, don’t have multiple food tech options, make 1 merged food tech that scales and comes up less often.

In my machine dmpire game the whole tech list was populated only by food tech options - and I wasn’t using it at all.

So yeah, a bit more player control there would be nice.

The biogenerator is what you need if you have the misfortune to settle on planet without enough energy district.
I used them, then terraform to machine world, and built energy district. It's fine this way.

The people saying clerks are bad are both right and wrong. They aren't bad. They are a net gain in resources overall for your empire. However they are worse than anything else you can get early game. When you are getting to the point you need amenities you are far better off making entertainers early on. Those two pops will crush your amenities need for a long time. Whatever you get from trade value you'll be able to get more from fewer pops through dedicated jobs as well. This makes it easier to get the all important alloy foundries up and running.

Anyone who says clerks are bad has not been playing the same game I have... energy, consumer goods, and amenities all from the one job type that requires little to no rare resources and can be done by slaves is extremely good. Maybe it doesn’t give the maximum per-pop return, but given how easy it is to both generate and fill clerk jobs (especially for slavers) it would be overpowered if it did. I haven’t got a single artisan or entertainer and just a few technicians, yet have had a huge surplus of all three of these resources over several hundred years since very early on thanks to my clerk-slaves. Primary species don’t need to be wasted on artisan or entertainer jobs and nor do rare resources.

Based on several games of play with a machine empire this weekend i am going to mention that this is heavily missunderstood.

Its extremely strong tbh. I had a 6.8/month production of 100 going at one point on more then 10 worlds and the number of pops i had after a few hours was well over 1k.. its fast enough.. may even to fast.

Based on several games of play with a machine empire this weekend i am going to mention that this is heavily missunderstood.

Its extremely strong tbh. I had a 6.8/month production of 100 going at one point on more then 10 worlds and the number of pops i had after a few hours was well over 1k.. its fast enough.. may even to fast.

I don't believe anyone here is saying that robot/synth can't produce a strong economical. I had an one-planet start on a crowded galaxy killing two megacorp and a fanatic pacifism to seize 3 worlds at once with two other federation members that are also, not joking, both megacorp themselves. Megacorp spawn rate could use some adjustment but that is a whole another story.

But rather that the micro-management to min-max your traits, 15% food/miner/energy bonus on farmer/mining/energy job for example, is not working well enough to left it alone to do it's own thing.

The biogenerator is what you need if you have the misfortune to settle on planet without enough energy district.
I used them, then terraform to machine world, and built energy district. It's fine this way.
Note that if the price is low enough, it can be economical to buy food from the market to feed into the reactors. Obviously there's only so much food you can buy in per month before you drive the price too high, just saying it can be a way to sustain a few extra, particularly if you have limited food production.

It's build cost, not time. It should be impacting the mineral input your assemblers are using.

Cheers, was about to start a thread asking this question.
Not at all obvious.

Though it seems a rather easy way of getting better robots more quickly, that cost only a tiny amount more.

Vanilla Robot:
50 months to build
costs 500 minerals
Has 0 free traits.

Luxurious + Mass-Produced Robot:
43.5 months to build
costs 521.7 minerals
Has 1 free trait slot.

Oh wow, I just implemented these new bots..... and the game immediately crashed.

######## EXCEPTION: 0xC0000005 at address: 0x019BB435: ACCESS VIOLATION read attempt to address 0x0000001C

Whooooops :D

Last edited:
When i made synthetic ascension i found out that it ruined my economy. By actually nice addition - adding robot construction job to main buildings. Which could be really cool, if that was not consuming a crazy amount of minerals per job. And on top that i was playing tall and do not had any good mineral planets (seriosly, why minerals so rare?).
Of course i can reduce job (and disable additional constructors slots after upgrading main building) but i would really like if that constructor jobs was attached only to robot construction building with upgrades (so i can manage amount of constructor jobs by upgrading/downgrading this building).

Last edited:
I only get one job with robot plant.
I can grow 3 organics in the time it takes to make one robot.
I can't have all my robots do mining because the organics grow faster than I can build them.
When I get droids my robots don't upgrade, the robotics don't start making droids, and I can't figure out how to make droids.
I can't get access to selecting which template to on a planet like I'm supposed to be able to.
Haven't tried synth ascension or machine race yet, but from what I've read they seem to have some problems too.

I don't even know what jobs the robots can do. I have them building on my homeworld, but they immediately become unemployed. I thought they were supposed to take mining and agriculture jobs, but they don't. Am I missing something?

Isn't the point of having robots putting the organics in better jobs than miner?
Right? I figured the AI would swap one of my miners or farmers for the robot, and move the farmer/miner to the available clerk job, but it didn't. Just let's the robot sit there unemployed when there's an obvious solution to the problem. Hope this gets patched.

Isn't the point of having robots putting the organics in better jobs than miner?
I can't do that if the organics take up the miner jobs because the robots don't grow fast enough.

There is a workaround, albeit a clunky one. You can deprioritize (should really say "disable") jobs to kick your organics out, then re-prioritize them to fill them with robots. I think it will even prefer to fill mining/farming jobs with robots, which should save having to do this multiple times if your organics aren't all clerkified right away.

Really, when the game needs is an easy way to re-evaluate job suitability (at least within a given strata) and do that swap with a single click (or automatically).

There should be an option to drag a pop from one job to the next instead of clicking the priority button 8 times, and then watching as the AI puts them back onto the wrong jobs anyways. This whole scenario of pops taking terrible priority jobs was literally my major fear when we were told that we wouldn't be able to manually select which EXACT pop does which EXACT job (and the only problem I had with the changes that were going into 2.2 in general). Pop growth and economic issues aside, at least in gestalts, (and possibly more authoritarian organics too), as a single consciousness managing everything down to the smallest detail, you should be able to manage everything down to the smallest detail. Let me move pops myself, so when the AI is the AI I can take all my miner pops off the farms and shove them onto mines, so that when I want my robots to be soldiers, I can put them on a fort, instead of them going to mine. Robots can be much more viable if the player can (forgive me) assume direct control.

Though growth needs to be re-balanced for them regardless.