• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DDRJake

Field Marshal
112 Badges
Feb 4, 2011
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
Hello all. As we alluded to in the previous Development Diary, we have been taking in feedback on the concerns with Golden Century and the 1.28 Spain Update.

Keen to do more than just talk about our intentions and future plans, we are also taking some steps to improve the players’ experience with EUIV and Golden Century. We have been reading lots of feedback, taking it on board and discussing what we can do for you in our upcoming update. As a result, we are making the following changes:

• Treasure Fleet mechanics will be unlocked in Golden Century (Previously tied to only El Dorado)
  • All Privateering related mechanics will be unlocked in Golden Century
  • Transfer Occupation will be available to all players (previously tied to Art of War)
  • Increase Development feature will be available to all players (Previously tied to Common Sense)

The following changes are going to accompany 1.28, in a hotfix called 1.28.1 which will swiftly follow the Tuesday release. Again, we want to stress the importance of your thoughts and feelings, and do what we can to meet your expectations.

Long have players been requesting, in particular, that Development and Transfer Occupation features be a base game feature available and with the continued development of the game we agree that this is the right step forward. We have made lots of mechanics that interact with improving development in the years since it was first introduced, most notably with mechanics such as Ages and Institutions, and there are more ways this mechanic can be used to improve the game further which we want to open the doors for

And this is only the start, we will still be going forward with doing our planned dev diary on community suggestions and future road map of EU4. If there are any questions about these changes, please let us know in this thread!

/@Johan
/@DDRJake
/@Groogy

Reactions:
That's a good start, but I think people were a lot more vocal about other issues. This won't end on just making DLC features now more available to base game, right?

These are nice to hear about, though. :) The development part in particular is essential to the base game becoming better. I can also see how they would be critical as a first step to making addressing other bigger concerns possible.

The mechanic to flee to a New World colony should be more widely available to western european tags, particularly Brittany and Ireland.

Above all I'm hoping for @navaluiki thread "A few suggestions for Iberia", both on map changes and POR traditions, to be considered and for the mission trees to be less about one-province-conquest assignments and more about ambitious projects that could-have-been.

The Spanish mission 'Universal Monarchy' was a good example to go by, but Portugal could also use one like conquering Japan or implementing Mare Clausum. These just to name a few.

With the 'Spoiler' concerns in mind, I hope that a bigger focus on "Projects instead of stepping stones" in mission trees gets considered and the Iberia map gets retouched to better tap into the DLC's potential for flavor.

Last edited:
  • Increase Development feature will be available to all players (Previously tied to Common Sense)
Finally! Development was tied with way too many things, huge part of the game economy is involving manipulating development to be locked behind a DLC. This is a huge but positive change for those without common sense.

What do those DLC owners get? I’m not happy with givibg content away for free that I paid for

Reactions:
Thanks for the update. As somebody who purchased most DLCs, I just want to express my support for moving some of their features into the base game. I know not everybody agrees with such moves, but I feel I got my money's worth nonetheless and am glad the base game experience will be enhanced for new players.

Reactions:
Finally! Development was tied with way too many things, huge part of the game economy is involving manipulating development to be locked behind a DLC. This is a huge but positive change for those without common sense.

Also for future patches as it means we can do more assuming the feature is available to you :)

I like this. Adding these features to the base game can help development in the future greatly. I'm glad Paradox can experiment in their various games and translate the things that work. This has been immensely popular in Stellaris and I'm glad it's made the jump across.

Reactions:
I had expected you to make GC free to temper the forum, but you've actually found a better solution, both for paradox, the developers and the players. Congratulations (If it works)

What do those DLC owners get? I’m not happy with givibg content away for free that I paid for

As a DLC owner, you have the other features of the DLC-s AND you could transfer occupation in the past 4 years and increase development in the past 3.5 years compared to someone who does not have the DLC.

I really appreciate these changes, it really opens up for there future development of EU4.

I hope that you/Paradox in the near future will make a "definite/ultimate/grand" version of EU4, where all current DLC's will be included in the base game, so you can development further on previous features, such as ages and institutions.

This is awesome. I'm a bit concerned that Government Reforms were not made free however which seems strange as those without Dharma can simply get the same mechanics through decisions (AFAIK - I own Dharma) which means that just the UI with the pretty art is being charged for.

Well this sounds great. I don't know whether this was planned for a while or the recent outrage spurred some quick thinking, but at the very least, I can tell you guys are taking this seriously.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the future roadmap for EU4. I think people in HoI4 community were pretty upset about its development cycle for a while there, losing faith that HoI4 would turn out to be a good, fleshed-out game. That is, until @podcat told everyone exactly what he wanted out of the game, and lots of people realized it was the same things they wanted.
I predict that when the EU4 roadmap is released, the same thing will happen for a lot of EU4 players, and they will stop seeing the developers as an enemy to negotiate/fight for their desired features with, and start seeing you as allies in the goal to make EU4 more fun.

Common Sense, El Dorado and Art of War were so long ago you've 100% got your money's worth out of them. Arguably the same for Mare Nostrum. Either way, Dharma released just recently and I paid for it, yet I want nothing more than Government Reforms to be made a free feature because it means that in the end we get better mechanics and devs don't have to waste time maintaining two separate systems.

A welcome change regarding increasing development. It gives hope for the future regarding both the way the mechanic is balanced and they way it may be used in the future as part of other mechanics.

Reactions:
Well this sounds great. I don't know whether this was planned for a while or the recent outrage spurred some quick thinking
Even if it was the outrage, the point remains that they did something about it. I can think of a lot of developers and publishers that would have ignored it because in the end, the forum users are a small part of their player base. But now I can truly have a sense of pride and accomplishment from playing EU4 ;)

Free giveaways happen all the time. Entire games that were released a few years ago being given away as a freebie for promotional reasons happens a lot, and nobody ever really complains. Hell, CK2 was given away for free recently. A couple features from some years-old DLCs is nothing in comparison to this. I bought those DLCs too and honestly I'm glad this is happening, and am not expecting anything in return. This is a move that should've happened a while ago. IMO, it's not really fair that these features were locked behind DLC, and not having them probably made the new player experience much worse. I hope this means more people are able to get into EU4 and have a good time. That's all it'd take to make me happy.

Reactions:
As somebody who bought most DLCs at launch without discounts (I am an addict), I don't mind that parts of those DLCs are free for all. I got my worth these last years. Developing provinces is so vital now since the introduction of institutions. It is a generous move on the part of Paradox. :)

Reactions:
I wouldn't even be upset if they released the DLC for free as a owner of every DLC under the sun, I already played it for almost four years by now. Sure it would be nice if they permamently lowered the price of DLC's whose features were made free for people who didn't own it previously, but I'm not going to lose sleep over that. ;)

Reactions: