• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, I've been trying to use Portrait Builder but it doesn't work with mods :/ A mod list appears, but I cannot check the boxes next to the mods' names, and when I hover over them it says that "Archive format is not supported by PortraitBuilder"

I want to add historical characters. Therefore, I need to control their appearance and traits. I can't do that with the information given in the save file.

You need to set the exported dna and properties in character history files for those characters, like this:

Code:
<id> = {
     name=xxx
     dna="medjejoencc"
     properties="ae00e0"
}

Hello, I've been trying to use Portrait Builder but it doesn't work with mods :/ A mod list appears, but I cannot check the boxes next to the mods' names, and when I hover over them it says that "Archive format is not supported by PortraitBuilder"

Hi, indeed the current version only supports manually installed mods, I'll look into that in the future.
For now, you can unzip the mods you're interested in, copy the .mod file and change it from:

Code:
name = "Portrait Mod"
archive = "mod/portrait.zip"

to:

Code:
name = "Portrait Mod (unzipped)"
path = "mod/portrait"

You need to set the exported dna and properties in character history files for those characters, like this:

Code:
<id> = {
     name=xxx
     dna="medjejoencc"
     properties="ae00e0"
}

Wow, really? And only about five hundred years to get though a single one!

Is there any way to make the program appear larger? Whenever I open it it's frustratingly small.

Do you mean the whole window & buttons, or just the portrait area to be bigger than in-game ?
I actually DO mean the whole window & buttons.
And the font, and the portraits... basically everything.

I actually DO mean the whole window & buttons.
And the font, and the portraits... basically everything.

Ok I'll check about automatic scaling !
Do you have more info on your system like the screen resolution, and if you use Windows font size zooming (100%, 125%, 150%) ?
A screenshot could help as well.

Ok I'll check about automatic scaling !
Do you have more info on your system like the screen resolution, and if you use Windows font size zooming (100%, 125%, 150%) ?
A screenshot could help as well.
Thanks for looking into it.
Screen resolution is 1920x1080 (which is recommended), and under it according to the setting right about resolution, Windows is zooming in at 125% (also recommended).
And here's a screenshot with my portrait builder open (along with the fully-visible background)- PortraitBuilder.png

I can't seem to find the Mediterranean portraits. I have the portrait set to byzantinegfx_male for example, but it's showing up as the standard European portraits. I have the DLC, and I have the latest version of the Portrait Builder.

I've being trying to use it and for some reason I can't find or toggle the Mediterranean portraits at all so the Byzantines are default portraits!

Hi, I've been using this tool for a while now; recently assets from mods like the GoT mod are pixellated beyond recognition when I'm using this tool. In game they look fine. Does anyone have an idea why that could be?