• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SPECTREtm

Sergeant
19 Badges
Oct 27, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
I hardly believe than I am the only one here who is getting tired of not having more options for building bridges. The current system allows us only three choices, and we have little to no control over them without the use of mods. It has been nearly four years now and nothing has been done to rectify this creative constraint. This really hit me revisiting older titles such as SimCity 4 and Transport Tycoon - these games have a functional mechanic for building a multitude of bridges and Cities Skylines does not.

Modding has long shown now that large and complex bridges are a possibility within the engine (even draw-able bridges have been created by some), so there is technically nothing that stops a better mechanic from being part of the vanilla game (No DLC, please)

I propose a new mechanic that allows the player to control the bridge building process and provide them with many more options in term of style and functionality. Mainly the ability to control the deck layout and type of bridge is what I want from such a mechanic.

Example of bridges that could be implemented:

Double-Decker bridges - San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge
Combined Rail and Road - Oresund Bridge
Large Suspension Bridges - Akasi Kaikyo, Great Belt, Hardanger, Verrazzano-Narorws, Millau, etc.
Legendary Bridges (Monument Bridges) - Golden Gate, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Tower Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge, Forth Bridge etc.

Upvote 0
I'd love to have more than four options for bridges (gravel has a bridge now).

Gravel has two bridges.

bridge gravel road.png

One way this could be done would be to have roads build the bridges that they do now, and then select a bridge style and "upgrade" the bridge to whatever style was selected?

Fox,
I just thought of something. You have two gravel road bridges in your image, but I only have one (I think only one) gravel road that is selectable.
So what is the difference between the two gravel roads?
(I only have the base game and Snowfall DLC.)

Straight for covered bridge. Curved for wooden non-covered bridge.

One way this could be done would be to have roads build the bridges that they do now, and then select a bridge style and "upgrade" the bridge to whatever style was selected?

I disagree. It would be a very awkward mechanic for building Golden Gate like bridges. I'd much rather have something like this:

Either way I just want a mechanic that gives me more creative freedom and options for building bridges. I know the engine can handle it as the modders have shown us, but for some strange reason this has not been implemented despite being a standard feature in many other city builders and tycoon games.