• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #110 - It's not a bug.

The Bugs of Holy Fury!

Holy Fury development was a long and winding road, and along that road were, believe it or not a few bugs. Let me tell you about some of them.

Emperor Assassin
This one is a personal favorite of mine. Upon adding the kill list to track character kills we noticed that, the Chinese Emperor had the most kills. Upon further investigation we realised he was getting the credit for an event where a Chinese Noble is assassinated by China. So the Emperor was personally sneaking into their room at night and strangling them with a piece of silk.

lmns46qp46rIFYDlAm-9AYb62thSIa0tLK_z6uW944_L4Of8u2pTlwa_LeGaTf9ZmvJ9hdEOsa-hsDslFNYmeHz0BpISnmpxeN4SHEJEcTorgb91FPIvwwB_jHCGAU-hK0IZBlNK
BW8sttXf5Glm0ejOp-hchjRVYsaMzjXFWVI0F5wm5Fq2Qh5mR4_p4QJzvHb2-7Xj7viVYsAnxcHoTsstQESKzguEOjNOAs_1a1JauSnyKf-OCOa2vYljOIr4yWs0RrekFPFw_Sxx

Dramatic recreation

Escape Armour
When we added the new battle events, a wonderful new event was added where it is possible to throw down one of your artifacts to distract your opponent when you run away. Unfortunately/ fortunately this included the armour you were wearing. The mental image of you slipping out of your armour on the battlefield is wonderful. Infact this bug was so good we made it a feature.

ad6WQQM8ZPWQwOVAVT1iDNytperuO693qHi7OJJx2VrKJg3uXIRJf46apLEBa-lSuZQRT4v-vHa-ZtWNA_ozWzOK7ygINAXfTv3giwmtyP3xdEiKO_uUUIik_km0m2kU5Gl1T0Hh

Imprisoning everyone

Using some fun commands and curiosity one dev managed to imprison everyone in the world. Unfortunately unpausing the game would cause the whole thing to crash, who would have guessed eh?

zXg560h_X9UL41-q2IQYtJoiab2zj6TfwC6EjguEFuylRAf2-x5OG_lrzUuS60J7W0edpfF60AQT2A0ED-MpWtZQc_NLjxFUnClef-ZsP5rAkaiQ7k1LZp6ggsBbpslb87Jyo05u

Confused Pope
The Pope is annoyed if you go on the fourth crusade but even more annoyed if you don’t show up. I guess the pope despite his best attempts just can’t resist a crusade.

GOZ54cgtHqQN5-SOPJ8jPKHbxu2_QuYJZrbe7VnI8I3uDM2QgbsFJmyW8N0T-5xD6JYL8IJEDbrYBb6cRTALFPsjsnGsmk4kMG_9yVDf9zIa1zHZycMOX4MTlTKnU3rwzhSGe4pl

Hairless animals
Animals entering the barbershop would crash the game since they “lack hair”.

UI-scaling
Implementing UI scaling was as simple as flipping a switch, our coders didn’t have to do any work at all.
czgvthp7FeGSJhVjgrDcx_wPIvhghEIFpAcY4JCXAp1Sxnea4VU2DIsA2dRwgL1EaJW3bprWb8fZMfv2nqNPVzkNdXrl6d-xTdbiLhyEVp7IxjspR7NKoE8PNRYTemIUIz9rZWAe

Great Strength
When duels were getting their upgrade, it was implemented so different weapons would be used including bare hands. Due to some variables not being set up yet this led to people consistently severing limbs with their bare hands.

3kYOJTxv9Qd2sdti5JjQyyiOTWdgv--S-C7xZrrmV3UL9BRRcQ3-bZ8ZpOfyyJqVExH71HXjmtKEwDRY6r6Lz-aKqlzdSl1FL2IaMOjAJG3bRo5jdf6bjenlY8R5H85x5BBYLQEi

AI problems
The AI, just before winning a crusade decided to set their crusade beneficiary and who better to benefit from the crusade than their 80 year old syphilitic, non-dynastic aunt?

Thanks for reading!

Dan

I guess I am just very lucky and didn't encounter a bug yet.
Waiting for a patch!

Just release beta patch with hotfixes! What's the point of playing it if such game breaking bugs exist?

Indeed, I'm sure many people quit playing a week ago to wait for hotfixes. In the meantime they are not encountering and reporting other bugs that may potentially remain in the game until the late spring patch.

Just release beta patch with hotfixes! What's the point of playing it if such game breaking bugs exist?
I feel like you have a different definition of game breaking than I do...

Holy Fury is one of the most bug free releases, if you do find any issue then please make a bug report with repro steps and a save if possible, but it is definitely one of the most stable releases and I've loved playing through all the cool new stuff the team added :D

Holy Fury is one of the most bug free releases, if you do find any issue then please make a bug report with repro steps and a save if possible, but it is definitely one of the most stable releases and I've loved playing through all the cool new stuff the team added :D
I feel Paradox should put more into QA. There are a lot of bugs I encounter just doing a single playthrough, if this is a very un-buggy release then that's not saying a lot for the other releases. Holy Fury added a lot of nice content, fun content, but it becomes harder to enjoy the fun content when you're often having to deal with bugs.

I feel Paradox should put more into QA. There are a lot of bugs I encounter just doing a single playthrough, if this is a very un-buggy release then that's not saying a lot for the other releases. Holy Fury added a lot of nice content, fun content, but it becomes harder to enjoy the fun content when you're often having to deal with bugs.
Last thing we need is a rushed hotfix.
Holy Fury and the patch sure have bugs, and I'd say many things are unbalanced and op.
I'm yet to see anything game-breaking though.
For now, I'm playing short campaigns, and it's super fun so far.
Serious playthrough will come when a proper fix to the game is applied. But I don't want a half-baked fix. Let Paradox take their time with this one.

Make bug reports please :)
QA tries to catch as much as they can, but software out with thousands of users testing in a huge variety of cases is always going to discover things that slipped through QA, we of course aim to not let any major issues slip through such as hard crashes and so on, but a typo or missing effect or slightly unbalanced modifiers and the like are not severe enough issues to delay an entire release by fixing the bugs, building a new version to re-send through verification multiple times.

It's a problem of resources. Paradox has maybe 10 full time QA employees working on this release, and maybe 100,000 people playing it. In order to play through as much of the game in testing as will be played in the first week after release, they'd have to test it for 200 years. Which would somewhat mess with their release schedule....

I'm normally very critical of Paradox's state of major patches that come with DLC releases. This is one of the best I've seen. A few balance issues here and there, but nothing game breaking.

Make bug reports please :)
QA tries to catch as much as they can, but software out with thousands of users testing in a huge variety of cases is always going to discover things that slipped through QA, we of course aim to not let any major issues slip through such as hard crashes and so on, but a typo or missing effect or slightly unbalanced modifiers and the like are not severe enough issues to delay an entire release by fixing the bugs, building a new version to re-send through verification multiple times.
There are bug reports for the main bugs I've noticed: Missing HRE decision in 769 start, and black CoA's. These are what people are waiting for, among others (Mislav Epirus). When will we get a patch fixing these things?

I mean I only put 6 hours in to the newest patch, but the problems I saw were all either [1] balance that was not what I expected (e.g. death rate in battle), or [2] a bug caused by a weird interaction between owned and not-owned DLC (i.e. the black coat of arms thing). I've heard about a couple other bugs and balance issues, but I agree that this was a remarkably bug-free patch. I just wish I had time to play.

There are bug reports for the main bugs I've noticed: Missing HRE decision in 769 start, and black CoA's. These are what people are waiting for, among others (Mislav Epirus). When will we get a patch fixing these things?

I mean I only put 6 hours in to the newest patch, but the problems I saw were all either [1] balance that was not what I expected (e.g. death rate in battle), or [2] a bug caused by a weird interaction between owned and not-owned DLC (i.e. the black coat of arms thing). I've heard about a couple other bugs and balance issues, but I agree that this was a remarkably bug-free patch. I just wish I had time to play.

Both the 769 HRE decision and black CoAs have been fixed in our internal builds. I cannot give you an exact date on any patch but "soon" is the answer.
Balance is also of course going to be tweaked based on all the feedback that has been received :)

Both the 769 HRE decision and black CoAs have been fixed in our internal builds. I cannot give you an exact date on any patch but "soon" is the answer.
Balance is also of course going to be tweaked based on all the feedback that has been received :)
Hmm, I dont want to push it but can you tell us if being able to switch from full enatic/agnatic after picking Enatic/Agnatic Clans is how those two doctrines supposed to work or is it a bug?

Is there going to be a DD today?

Hmm, I dont want to push it but can you tell us if being able to switch from full enatic/agnatic after picking Enatic/Agnatic Clans is how those two doctrines supposed to work or is it a bug?
I certainly fixed it in my own game. When I play agnatic clans, I don't want to see female rulers.

Now if only disabling patrilineal marriages for enatic clans was as easy...

Before Christmas?

Is that a Blizzard Style "Soon" or a Martin Anward style "Not Soon?" I'm a big fan of the latter, because it actually tends to mean "Within like a month." :D

Is that a Blizzard Style "Soon" or a Martin Anward style "Not Soon?" I'm a big fan of the latter, because it actually tends to mean "Within like a month." :D
From my experience PDS soon usually means very soon.