• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #110 - It's not a bug.

The Bugs of Holy Fury!

Holy Fury development was a long and winding road, and along that road were, believe it or not a few bugs. Let me tell you about some of them.

Emperor Assassin
This one is a personal favorite of mine. Upon adding the kill list to track character kills we noticed that, the Chinese Emperor had the most kills. Upon further investigation we realised he was getting the credit for an event where a Chinese Noble is assassinated by China. So the Emperor was personally sneaking into their room at night and strangling them with a piece of silk.

lmns46qp46rIFYDlAm-9AYb62thSIa0tLK_z6uW944_L4Of8u2pTlwa_LeGaTf9ZmvJ9hdEOsa-hsDslFNYmeHz0BpISnmpxeN4SHEJEcTorgb91FPIvwwB_jHCGAU-hK0IZBlNK
BW8sttXf5Glm0ejOp-hchjRVYsaMzjXFWVI0F5wm5Fq2Qh5mR4_p4QJzvHb2-7Xj7viVYsAnxcHoTsstQESKzguEOjNOAs_1a1JauSnyKf-OCOa2vYljOIr4yWs0RrekFPFw_Sxx

Dramatic recreation

Escape Armour
When we added the new battle events, a wonderful new event was added where it is possible to throw down one of your artifacts to distract your opponent when you run away. Unfortunately/ fortunately this included the armour you were wearing. The mental image of you slipping out of your armour on the battlefield is wonderful. Infact this bug was so good we made it a feature.

ad6WQQM8ZPWQwOVAVT1iDNytperuO693qHi7OJJx2VrKJg3uXIRJf46apLEBa-lSuZQRT4v-vHa-ZtWNA_ozWzOK7ygINAXfTv3giwmtyP3xdEiKO_uUUIik_km0m2kU5Gl1T0Hh

Imprisoning everyone

Using some fun commands and curiosity one dev managed to imprison everyone in the world. Unfortunately unpausing the game would cause the whole thing to crash, who would have guessed eh?

zXg560h_X9UL41-q2IQYtJoiab2zj6TfwC6EjguEFuylRAf2-x5OG_lrzUuS60J7W0edpfF60AQT2A0ED-MpWtZQc_NLjxFUnClef-ZsP5rAkaiQ7k1LZp6ggsBbpslb87Jyo05u

Confused Pope
The Pope is annoyed if you go on the fourth crusade but even more annoyed if you don’t show up. I guess the pope despite his best attempts just can’t resist a crusade.

GOZ54cgtHqQN5-SOPJ8jPKHbxu2_QuYJZrbe7VnI8I3uDM2QgbsFJmyW8N0T-5xD6JYL8IJEDbrYBb6cRTALFPsjsnGsmk4kMG_9yVDf9zIa1zHZycMOX4MTlTKnU3rwzhSGe4pl

Hairless animals
Animals entering the barbershop would crash the game since they “lack hair”.

UI-scaling
Implementing UI scaling was as simple as flipping a switch, our coders didn’t have to do any work at all.
czgvthp7FeGSJhVjgrDcx_wPIvhghEIFpAcY4JCXAp1Sxnea4VU2DIsA2dRwgL1EaJW3bprWb8fZMfv2nqNPVzkNdXrl6d-xTdbiLhyEVp7IxjspR7NKoE8PNRYTemIUIz9rZWAe

Great Strength
When duels were getting their upgrade, it was implemented so different weapons would be used including bare hands. Due to some variables not being set up yet this led to people consistently severing limbs with their bare hands.

3kYOJTxv9Qd2sdti5JjQyyiOTWdgv--S-C7xZrrmV3UL9BRRcQ3-bZ8ZpOfyyJqVExH71HXjmtKEwDRY6r6Lz-aKqlzdSl1FL2IaMOjAJG3bRo5jdf6bjenlY8R5H85x5BBYLQEi

AI problems
The AI, just before winning a crusade decided to set their crusade beneficiary and who better to benefit from the crusade than their 80 year old syphilitic, non-dynastic aunt?

Thanks for reading!

Dan

that runaway noble event really should fire less
everyone have jade dragon pendant
and mercenary captains have access to grace store no matter where they are
even britain or venice
and maybe everyone should have a preset weapon base on culture or something?
fight with bare hand are entertaining but likely rare

Last edited:
Grate DD, grate DLC (first one i preordered), grate job guys and girls!
Now I'm reading EU4 DD and asking myself: "is it the same paradox?" "Is really CK2 this ugly older sister of EU4?"
Thanks for your grate work CK2 team. :)

Great Strength
When duels were getting their upgrade, it was implemented so different weapons would be used including bare hands. Due to some variables not being set up yet this led to people consistently severing limbs with their bare hands.
This makes perfect sense when playing a bear or a dragon, doesn't it?

People are getting killed on battlefield without consider their trait, army strength, equiped artifacts, battlefield environment while only check if they have barseker/warrior lodge and just random chance must be a feature too.
After all, an emperor leading 10k army to fight 500 viking raiders must have a higher chance to be killed than those vikings. :rolleyes:

HF_battle_events.txt Code below:
#### INJURIES...
10 = {
trigger = {
NOT = { trait = berserker }
NOT = { is_indomitable_trigger = yes } #The "Indomitable" power blocks "very bad stuff"
}
bad_soldier_outcome_score = yes
warrior_lodge_risk_reduction_score = yes
character_event = { id = HFP.11001 } # Killed (remake of 242)
}

Last edited:
I feel like there should be a rare event chain about Chinese Emperor travelling West and going on a mad killing spree. The player could choose to track them down and either help them (becoming friends as a result) or stop them.

Imprisoning everyone
Using some fun commands and curiosity one dev managed to imprison everyone in the world. Unfortunately unpausing the game would cause the whole thing to crash, who would have guessed eh?
Even if it's not possible anymore, can you tell us how, or at least which commands? Asking for a friend… ;)
(And since I don't want to start an unnecessary thread for it, I'll mention here that pagan nomads should be able to settle with Holy Fury even if they don't have Old Gods…)

Going to ask here as the thread I started was passed by. Is there any news on whether the new music will be added to itunes to purchase? I would love to be able to acquire it, but since it's not on itunes, I can't.

Would someone care to explain why most of the new DB changes are so lacking and broken?

- County of Saarbrücken is a mess, does not account for previously existing dynasties it creates duplicates of, duplicate characters, broken dynasties, etc.

- County of Montbeliard does not belong to the historical counts of Montbeliard (who used to hold b_montbeliard). The barony of Montbeliard was changed to a capital barony, but the history list was not removed.

- Some counties do not have a history list in the early start dates. c_bremen etc.

- The patch introduces more broken dynasties than it fixes.

- Some barony titles with defined history lists have been changed to capital baronies (this is most prevalent with bishoprics which should be the last to change since their historical importance). b_lausanne etc. earlier version was the bishopric of Roskilde which was changed to a city for no reason other than the holy site for the Norse.

- New counties have baronies that do not play by the rules of the game with two cities, castles or bishoprics when you should have one of each before building one of the same. (Some cities here could be turned to castles to give a feudal title to historical families that ruled them historically.

- Some research is a bit lacking giving most new counties to princely bishoprics in some start dates where more accurate rulers are documented.

Also, much of the new coding in the character files just don't match the style of previous patches arbitrarily without anything that suggests it's an improvement or optimisation.

Are you okay? Do you need help?

Going to ask here as the thread I started was passed by. Is there any news on whether the new music will be added to itunes to purchase? I would love to be able to acquire it, but since it's not on itunes, I can't.
All of the music is in the game folders - you can just find them and copy somewhere else :)