Canary Islands, the kingdom of Taoro on Tenerife, Kingdom of Gáldar on Gran Canaria

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aramenian

Major
28 Badges
Sep 26, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
I decided to submit all the information about the Canary Islands into a whole, to give the creator a better view of the situation of these islands.
The current division of the islands is on two Tenerife and Gran Canaria
morocco_map.png

The first problem is the island of Gran Canaria because it was not in 1444 owned by the Kingdom of Castile.
The conquest of Gran Canaria and its inclusion in the Kingdom of Spain is attributed to the figure of Pedro de Vera, which ended in 1483 the conquest initiated by Juan Rejón.

The first proposal to divide the Canary Islands (more confident to be implemented by the creators)
And here are the changes:
wyspy Kanaryjskie Propozycja pierwsza.png

The new province is the island of Lanzarote, also representing the island of Fuerteventura.

The second proposal for the division of islands (unlikely to be introduced)
Wyspy kanaryjskie propozycja 2.png

Here is the map of the conquest of the Canary Islands.
07bb495e51fe426f97414d5357ce59adconquistacanarias.gif

The names of the islands in the indigenous language of Guanches
Tenerife:Achinech,Achineche,Asensen
Gran Canaria:Tamaran
Lanzarote:Titerogakaet,Titeroigatra
La Palma:Benahoare
Source of information:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanches
-Having three provinces it is possible to add a Guanches culture

Now we are going to potential countries in the Canary Islands:

-The first country is the Taoro Kingdom located on the island of tenerife.
A hundred years before the Spanish conquest (1494), this place was the capital of the Menceyato of Adeje, one of the guanches(local kingdoms) in which the island was divided.
as we can see, there was one kingdom on Tenerife which broke down into nine menceyatos guanches (native kingdoms)
source of information:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adeje
Here is the division map:
200px-Tenerife_preconquista.png

List of Kingdoms existing on Tenerife:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinerfe
Why is the kingdom of Taoro the reason is one can not be represented on such a small island as many as nine kingdoms. During the battle with the aggressors, the ruler of most kingdoms was Bencomo ruler Taoro.

Beneharo was a son of the last important Guanche king called Tinerfe who united all nine Guanche kingdoms. Beneharo together with Acaimo of Guimar became allies who joined De Lugo in battle against King Bencomo of Taoro who was the leader of all 'menceyes' at the time.
part of the text from the source:https://www.tenerife-holiday-home-insider.com/history-of-tenerife.html
Tenerife: The history in a timeline:https://www.teneriffa.ferienhaus-canarias.net/tenerife-holiday/history-tenerife-r273.html
Now let's look at the island of Gran Canaria:
the island is divided into two Kingdoms
And these are the kingdom of Gáldar and the kingdom of Telde.
Map of the island's division:
220px-Guanartemato_de_Galdar.GIF

Gáldar
Kingdom
(dark green)
Telde
Kingdom
(bright green)
Personally, I would choose the kingdom of Gáldar on the island of Gran Canaria
source in Spanish:https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanarteme

There is a possibility to add a general here. Doramas came from the kingdom of Telde but he moved to the kingdom of Gáldar.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doramas

so much here gives the source of the old proposal:https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...slands-and-the-tribe-of-the-guanches.1123364/

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Interesting proposal. Very similar to mine (I had only 1 native kingdom as I packed Tenerife and Gran Canaria together).
The devs said Iberia lacks tags and this could be a nice solution.
If only one native kingdom could be added, which one do you think would be the best?

Interesting proposal. Very similar to mine (I had only 1 native kingdom as I packed Tenerife and Gran Canaria together).
The devs said Iberia lacks tags and this could be a nice solution.
If only one native kingdom could be added, which one do you think would be the best?
Depends on the island if you choose tenerife it will be the kingdom of Taoro. And if you take Gran Canaria it will be the kingdom of Gáldar

I would choose the Taoro kingdom
Ok, perfect. The same I picked.

Do you mind if in the OP of my thread I put a link to this one as I did with your old proposal? I wanted a bit of information about the History of the Canaries and native kingdoms and this is perfect for that and don't want this to be buried. :)

Ok, perfect. The same I picked.

Do you mind if in the OP of my thread I put a link to this one as I did with your old proposal? I wanted a bit of information about the History of the Canaries and native kingdoms and this is perfect for that and don't want this to be buried. :)
I do not mind sharing it

information about the indigenous population of the islands
-The head of the tribe was mencey (on Gran Canaria - guanarteme), who exercised power in agreement with the council of the powerful, called taoro or tagoror.
The appearance of the inhabitants of the tenerife:
-In the 15th century accounts of European conquerors of the Canary Islands, the natives - especially those from Tenerife - are described as tall, with blue eyes and light long hair. They were called Guanches (from guan - "man" and che or achinch - "white mountain", association with the snow-covered Teide volcano).
About tools, weapons and clothes:
-Wood, stone and bones were used to make tools. The basic raw material from which clothes were sewn was goat skin, and from the jewelery the inhabitants of the islands most often wore shell necklaces. The natives were able to build primitive boats. They used long spears called banot to fight, as well as tenique - tools made of stone wrapped in leather.
On the religion of the natives:
They worshiped the sun god known in Gran Canaria as Alcorac, in Tenerife - Achaman, and in La Palma - Aborra. The inhabitants of Tenerife believed that the hell is at the bottom of the Teide volcano and that the god of evil rules in it - Guayota. The Guanches mummified the corpses of the chiefs and nobles, choosing inaccessible caves and caves for the burial site. The engraving of the dead was considered untouchable and excluded from the community.
About farming, eating and growing:
-The tribes inhabiting the Canary Islands had a lot in common. Above all, they led a primitive way of life - their economy was based on simple forms of agriculture, pastoralism and hunting. Barley was grown, being the main ingredient of a dish called gofio, made from ground grains and baked in clay pots. The source of animal protein was mainly goat and fish for them.
About house construction:
Most of the Guanches inhabited the grottos. Some built primitive houses - low huts with uneven stone walls, covered with a roof supported by wooden beams and covered with pieces of rock and earth.
230px-AlonsoFernandezdeLugo3.JPG
images (1).jpg
images (2).jpg
images.jpg
pobrane.jpg

Last edited:
I really like this and hope this gets implemented. If they're low dev then it shouldn't be a problem to have these islands represented.

I would absolutely love to see the hawaiian islands split up too with a tag or two.

I think provinces should have a low development and should produce cereals or animals.
Spain and Castile should have missions to conquer the islands
for getting all the islands they should get a prize, change the culture to Castilian or Canarian and change the goods produced by the islands for sugar.
this is just a suggestion

Last edited:
Pherhaps adding military leaders like Bencomo would make things even more interesting.

Pherhaps adding military leaders like Bencomo would make things even more interesting.
Bencomo as king of Taoro should be quite talented in military terms. But his story is quite sad

During the First Battle of Acentejo (May 31, 1494), about 3'300 Guanches led by Bencomo and his half brother Tinguaro beat 1'120 soldiers Spanish de Lugo. It was the biggest Spanish in history defeat in all of their Atlantic conquests - they left 950-1000 dead on the battlefield. Currently, the place of this battle is the town of La Matanza de Acentejo (literally, the Slaughter in Acentejo). De Lugo managed to escape in disguise to Santa Cruz, and then a boat to La Palma. He returned to Tenerife after about half a year much better prepared - 1'200 pedestrians, 70 hard driving and artillery, and all these were veterans of many battles. At the Battle of Aguere (November 14-15, 1494), he defeated former enemies. Bencomo died pierced with a spear, fighting bravely against ten Spaniards. Tinguaro died from severe wounds. On December 25, 1494, the Second Battle of Acentejo took place, in which de Lugo again defeated the Guanches under the leadership of the new mentee - Bentor. After losing the battle with other warriors, the king took refuge under the Tigaig summit, where in February 1495 he committed suicide by jumping from the top (the Guanches perceived it as a way to maintain their own honor instead of surrender). It was not the last battle, but it practically decided about the success of the conquest. The town of La Victoria de Acentejo (Victory at Acentejo) was established in the place of this battle.

Last edited:
From your description, the guanches seem too primitive to warrant a tag.
They were primitive because they did not have access to Ore. What they did not develop, but that does not mean they do not have a chance to appear in the game.
there are many such primitive countries in Africa and America