• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings and welcome back to Cities: Skylines Industries expansion Dev Diaries! Our topic of the day is one of my absolute favorites: New Maps and Policies. Industries DLC includes five all new maps designed to fit the theme of the expansion. This means these maps are rich in natural resources and offer good opportunities for transportation and building industry areas. However, each map also brings their own challenges, varying from mountainous terrain to conflicting resources, underwater resource deposits and huge rivers to cross. Can you conquer them all?

Remember to check out the newest tutorial video made by TwoDollarsTwenty:

All the tutorial videos will be available on this playlist at Paradox Interactive YouTube channel!

Note: Tutorials were made with a beta version of the Industries so you might notice some differences compared to the Dev Diary screenshots.

X marks the spot

So let's start by taking a quick tour of our new maps and their plentiful resources that can be viewed from Natural Resources Info View! First we have Twin Fjords which is boreal themed map with mountainous terrain where careful city-planning is required to be able to access all those sweet oil deposits, some that are even found under water! Flat terrain suited for farming is scarce - so better make it count. Temperate themed Marble Canyon on the other hand almost shimmers in the evening sun with ore but to access those huge ore deposits on the other side you must find the means (and funds) to cross the large river.

Cities 2018-09-27 11-01-00-63.png

Large river is splitting Marble Canyon. Which resources to go for - and how?

Boreal themed Woodgarden has no oil deposits on its own but what it lacks in oil it has in other resources. Investing in outside connections guarantees you can still import and export enough for your industry areas' needs and profit. Who knows how much ore is actually hidden under the swampy terrain? Pearl Bay is the tropical themed paradise that has beautiful, long shorelines and great outside connections but keep this in mind – underneath all that sand lies resources just waiting to get harvested. Can you sacrifice beauty for profit?

Cities 2018-09-26 17-30-26-24.png

Pearl Bay is your tropical paradise packed with resources.

Green Peaks is European themed map with large plains perfect for farming and many little details to discover and build your city around. For those who just like to spend hours and hours tweaking a city into perfection Green Peaks offers multiple terrain features to discover in every direction. Take advantage of the large plains and good outside connections to expand your industry in every direction.

Cities 2018-09-27 11-05-21-29.png

Green Peaks has it all - forest, fertile land, ore and even oil!

Policies

Industries DLC also includes 3 new City-wide Policies and 3 new Industry Policies. City-wide Policies can be accessed from the familiar policy panel and offer boosts to the new city service and even improve your workers' well-being.

Worker's Union policy allows the Worker's Union to have a strong presence in your City. It provides the workers with better benefits which show as an increase in happiness of adult citizens at the small cost of residential tax income. Automated Sorting introduces automated sorting to Post Offices and Post Sorting Facilities around your City. This will increase not only the mail capacity of Post Service buildings by 10% but their also sorting rate. Cost is 300 per Post Service building. Snail mail? How about no mail? Free Wi-Fi policy opens Free wireless access points for the citizens and tourists for easier use of email and other internet services instead of traditional mail services at the cost of 2 per affected building. This policy reduces the amount of Mail accumulation by 15% in the policy area.

Industry Policies on the other hand are managed from the Industry Area Info Panel and function only in the assigned Industry Area and boost the health of your workers and production and storage capabilities of your Industry Area.

Good logistics can sometimes be the thing to make the difference. Improved Logistics policy makes packing and scheduling of the deliveries more efficient due to advanced inventory and vehicle tracking systems. Extractor and Processing buildings have 20% increase in their storage capacity but at the same time the upkeep cost is increased by 10%. Improved Work Safety Supervision policy on the other hand introduces strict standards and regulations inside your Industry Area, increasing worker health. Cost 1 per affected worker. When running an Industry Area efficiency is often the key. Advanced Automation brings robots and other automated systems into your factories to make the production process faster and more accurately. This shows as 10% increase in your production output but at the same time the maintenance cost of the building is increased 10% as well.

Cities 2018-09-26 17-47-59-00.png

I think with this budget surplus Birdsong Drilling Area is also going for Advanced Automation for maximum production.

New models and props

Last but not least I am pleased to tell you that Industries expansion also comes with a wide selection of new models and industry props available in Asset Editor only as a part of paid content. These props include a variety of barrels, pallets and tanks for your industry purposes. New animals and workers are also spawnable through new animal and worker markers! And do not forget to check out the new industry type specific vehicle models fitting for each different industry area type. Or maybe your post van just needs a new coat of paint. But that's all for this time - stay tuned for tomorrow's Dev Diary related to Cargo Services!

Cities 2018-09-27 10-35-11-54.png

Testing new animal and worker markers. Looking good.

In the video, near the emd, I notice a brief look at a canyon that looks perfect for hydro power. Which map is that, may I ask?

Reactions:
I have several inquiries:
Can you sacrifice beauty for profit?
Do your citizens actually care about you destroying natural beauty? Surely if they don't care about what happens to natural environment, why should I?

Advanced Automation brings robots and other automated systems into your factories to make the production process faster and more accurately. This shows as 10% increase in your production output but at the same time the maintenance cost of the building is increased 10% as well.
I think there could've been one more trade-off. With this policy enacted, it should also decrease the number of unskilled workers needed, and increase the number of skilled workers needed. That way, you won't be so quick to enable the policy if your population isn't educated enough.

New animals and workers are also spawnable through new animal and worker markers!
Would it be possible to have citizens change their appearance depending on where they work? For example, if they work in the farm industry, they look like a farmer; if they work in the forestry industry, they look like a lumberjack, etc. It'll be nice to see those new models walking around your city rather than just in the industry areas. Plus, it'll be easier to tell who works where when looking at a crowd of people.

Reactions:
With all these lovely maps so filled with water, I would live to see a coastal-focused DLC at some point in the future. Waterfront property, shops, and industries overhauled, some kind of way to zone beaches like you can with parks and parklife, and just a way to make coasts and cliff-faces look nicer.

I eagerly look forward to hearing more about cargo and mail tomorrow!

Reactions:
With all these lovely maps so filled with water, I would live to see a coastal-focused DLC at some point in the future. Waterfront property, shops, and industries overhauled, some kind of way to zone beaches like you can with parks and parklife, and just a way to make coasts and cliff-faces look nicer.

I wish they would tweak quays tih it too! I would love to have nice traintracks right in the water or on a dam, or cars almost in water, or walking paths upon quays. And beaches! With water parks! :)

Reactions:

Agree, would be good if they tied the waterfront areas with tourism & leisure using the Park Life mechanics- just like Industries does- if they do then it kinda tops the game off for me and CO can begin to then start work on Cities Skylines 2

Reactions:
I think there could've been one more trade-off. With this policy enacted, it should also decrease the number of unskilled workers needed, and increase the number of skilled workers needed. That way, you won't be so quick to enable the policy if your population isn't educated enough.

I really like this idea. It would feel like adding much more depth than just the two dimensional cash/output option (much of which are decided by a slider anyway). Could be cool to see an "all hand made" option that would do the opposite too.

Reactions:
Agree, would be good if they tied the waterfront areas with tourism & leisure using the Park Life mechanics- just like Industries does- if they do then it kinda tops the game off for me and CO can begin to then start work on Cities Skylines 2

Haha you don’t know the paradox policy, CS2 will be released after Victoria III :p

Reactions:
So if we can still zone districts over these industrial areas, will all the old policies work to cover the industrial areas too? Like industrial space planning and any eco-friendly policies from Green Cities? Or am I forced to rely only on the industry area-specific policies for that now?

Shame that what seems to be the best map that has all resources is stuck on European theme.

You can always use the mod Environment Changer to convert it to any other type of map when starting a new game. After doing that you can get rid of the mod again if you'd like. I do that all the time when I find a super cool map that isn't the type I want.

This is the DLC I've most wanted too! With the parklife mechanics in play, it would seem a fairly easy one to put together. Sadly, I don't think it's likely -- Tourism Districts from AD were originally planned as "Beach" Districts, which is why the related buildings and parks have such a beachy theme, (volleyball, piers, restaurant models that look beachy). The specialization was retooled from "Beach" to "Tourism" because CO felt it was too limited to maps with beaches. By the same logic, it seems doubtful they would devote an entire DLC to Coasts, as much as we'd want it.

BUT, if they did do, I would love to see a Fisheries Industry added on top of all the good stuff you mentioned.

Will underground resources (Ore/Oil) be added to the old maps as well?
With parklife they added a bunch of new assets. We asked if they would update the old maps with the new assets. They said no. I suspect they will keep the same stance here.

Something you can do is modify the maps yourself. Just create a copy of the base map and put it in the mod maps file. Then you can open it in the in-game editor and alter it as you like. The tools for painting resources are very easy to use.

not sure what you mean, ore and oil have been included in the game since release.

In the video, near the emd, I notice a brief look at a canyon that looks perfect for hydro power. Which map is that, may I ask?

At the end of the video there is maps "Marble Canyon" and "Pearl Bay".

Old maps were not updated. Underground resources can be added with map editor :)