• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #105 - Clergy Interactions Revamp

Hello, everyone.

Today we will be talking of a nice quality of life update to the interface, AI behavior and some new additional flavor regarding the Papacy (as well as any similar religious head that has access to these interactions, such as a Reformed Pagan High Priest with Hierocratic Leadership).

20181019092639_1.jpg

The patch coming with Holy Fury will place all Papal Actions in a more easily accessible list of icons, right under the portrait of your religious head in the Religion screen.

Furthermore, the behavior for all these actions has been un-hardcoded and fully scripted, so the Pope is now much more sensible when deciding who he wants to Excommunicate, and less restrictive when considering the possibility of granting an Invasion casus belli to an ambitious ruler. More importantly, players are now able to see exactly why their religious head is denying them a request.

The AI logic itself has been considerably expanded and tailored to the various actions.

CatholicClergy1.jpg

Having a vassal Pope no longer ensures that all your demands will be automatically accepted, and having an independent Pope will not make it near-impossible to get a favor from him. The Pope will take into consideration Opinion, Piety, traits, the specific circumstances (such as divorcing an infertile wife), and the amount of controlled Cardinal seats when deciding whether to accept a ruler’s request or not. Piety costs for these interactions have also been rebalanced and tied to the ruler’s tier, making them more accessible to low ranking rulers and costlier to Kings and Emperors.

CatholicClergy2.jpg

The Request Claim interaction has been given a special new interface as well to make it more intuitive and accessible to players. Rather than having to search directly for the title that you wish to gain a claim on, you can use the new button in the religious view to get a list of potential Catholic rulers owning titles for which the Pope is willing to grant you a claim on. By clicking on any of them, you will be shown a second window showing the list of all titles owned by the target ruler and from there you can select the one that you are interested in.

20180824084127_1.jpg

Finally, if you are Excommunicated, the Issue Declaration of Repentance decision has been revamped so that it is no longer simply a cash payment.

Much like when requesting a coronation, the Pope will now pick one out of several possible demands for the player to fulfill in exchange for the lifting of his excommunication. Requests can range from a show of contrition causing Prestige loss, to changing your realm laws, to give one of your sons to the Church.

Also, bonus Cardinal clothes, pre and post 1245:

Cardinals preview.jpg

If the pope aks for your son. Do you have to give THAT specific son or can you choose yourself a son. Also when you have a reformed pagan enatic hierocratic religion or even equality as doctrine, can you get asked for daughters
Pope: *points at the first son, a Genius with 20+ stats married to a Byzantine princess with Quick*
Ruler: *starts sweating nervously*

Bon = Dalai Lama
Dalai lama is not proper to the religion Bon. In fact, Dalai lama is the religion head of Vajrayana buddhists or Tibetan buddhists. It is kind of strange that the followers of Bon are leaded by a buddhist, and I feel ahistorical.
I search for Bon at the internet, and there is one name called "Lopon". And this one is more suitable. Because in the wikipedia, he is regarded as " a Tibetan religious leader and the most senior teacher of Bon" nowaday. I suggest Paradox to use it. If you want to confirm it, you could open next link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lopön_Tenzin_Namdak
ADD:I read more about Bon. In the wikipedia, there is another statement about the religious leader of Bon. Wikipedia article "Menri Monastery" shows that "The abbot of Menri is recognized as the spiritual leader of Bon." Perhaps, "the abbot of Menri" is more accurate for the title of Bonpo religious head. There are more article talken about this spirtual leader. If you want to know, you could open next links.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menri_Monastery
http://www.ligmincha.org/en/international-news/421-34th-menri-trizin.html
https://www.tibetsun.com/news/2017/09/15/menri-trizin-spiritual-head-of-bon-religion-dies-at-90

Last edited:
Has the AI behaviour improved elsewhere in the game too?

I'm not familiar with the converter or EU4, so I'm afraid I cannot answer these.

No, Temporal Heads do not get these interactions as a way to balance the Leadership type.

Fylkir, Tietaja, Pontifex Maximus. The titles are not changed based on Leadership.

The Myrmidons.

Which perks does the Temporal Leadership have over Hierocratic?:D

Will the release fix the bug where the pope allows you to divorce someone for free as many times as you want after they cheat on you once?

This lets you get infinite prestige if you can find a princess with no living relatives (she doesn't leave your court after divorce). You can remarry her for the prestige, instantly divorce her, and repeat forever.

I always wonder why people ask that exploits like this are removed. If you know something is a bug that you can exploit, just don't do it. An easier way of doing this is just console command yourself a million prestige, but you choose not to do that because you want to play the game fairly. I mean, in a perfect world of course it would be removed, but there are probably more important things.

Unless of course you're playing in multiplayer and don't trust your opponents to not cheat.

Everyone calls you "top dog!" and you get to decide who to Great Holy War. I only care about the first one, though.
You also get a nice hat...

As for consanguinity, there are two modifiers, one for far relatives (25) and one for close relatives (40).
I assume pope will always grant divorces to sibling-sibling or parent-child unions, if for some reason character that had divine marriage converted to Catholicism?

Divorces, Excommunications, Grant Claim and Request Invasion are all available for Hierocratic and Autocephalous Leadership. Only Ask Money is exclusive to the Papacy.

This makes me so damn happy!
I have loved every announcement about Holy Fury thus far but one of my biggest concerns had been that Roleplaying and Achievement Hunting seemed like the only real reason to consider not going for Temporal leadership. Excommunication, Requested Invasions, Claims, etc... though are all such amazing reasons to have a Hierocratic head that it makes it an actual, meaningful decision ESPECIALLY for larger groups of Pagans.

I assume pope will always grant divorces to sibling-sibling or parent-child unions, if for some reason character that had divine marriage converted to Catholicism?
Being married to a sibling will make it very easy to request a Divorce from the Pope, but it's not a necessarily a certainty. If you have a very bad ruler or the Pope really hates you, you might still stack up enough negative modifiers to not get the divorce.

It has, yes. After doing some testing on it, I removed it, as I wasn't pleased with how it played out.
Shame. But if there are no extra mechanics added to it to ensure its dissolution on death, I could see why.

I was kind of hoping that some changes would have been made to Tanistry to allow for such a system.