• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EU4 - Development Diary - 9th of October 2018

Welcome all to today’s dev diary, where I’ll be covering the long-awaited Iberian and North African map update coming in the 1.28 ‘Spain’ update.

iberia_map.png

Nations released for the sake of example

As things currently stand, though as always things are subject to change before release, Iberia consists of 571 development over 63 provinces. This includes the Macaronesia area but now excludes Labourd, which has been returned to the French region.

In Aragon, the distinction between the Kingdom of Aragon, the Kingdom of Valencia, and the Principality of Catalonia has become more pronounced. Tarragona is now rightly in the Catalonia area, and the province of Valencia has been split so that Castello and Xativa have become separate provinces. Valencia itself has the potential to be a very rich city indeed, as the player’s actions can lead to it becoming a major producer of silk. The three major Balearic Islands have become provinces in and of themselves, linked together by a strait and comprising their own Area.

Likewise, Galicia has seen itself grow from 1 province to 4, and now has an Area all to itself.

Portugal and Granada have been gifted one additional province each: Aveiro and Malaga respectively.

Last but not least, many citizens of Navarra are looking a little confused as they wonder where their coastline has gone. Wedged between major powers and with no immediate means of escape over the ocean, Navarra will be a very challenging nation in 1.28.

New releasable nations:

Valencia: The Kingdom of Valencia was a major constituent part of the Crown of Aragon in 1444. In 1.28 the former kingdom of El Cid will be a releasable nation.

Asturias: The Kingdom of Asturias ceased to exist long before our start date, but it nicely fills the absence of releasable nations in the region.

morocco_map.png

I’ve also taken another look at North Africa. Here we can see several new provinces along the coast, including those belonging to new nations that can emerge during the game.

The province of Demnate allows a route through the Atlas mountains; a convenient shortcut and potentially a deadly choke-point.

The Canary Islands have been split between Gran Canaria and Tenerife to represent the somewhat incomplete Castilian conquest and colonization of the islands.

For the masochists among you who play as Granada, they now have a core on the province on Ceuta.

New releasable nations:

Salé and Tétouan: Home to some of the most infamous Barbary Pirates, these nations will be releasable in 1444, and may emerge dynamically in the course of the game in the style of Habsan.

fezzan_map.png

Finally, I’ve made some minor changes to the eastern Maghreb. The province of Kairwan has been added for Tunis, and the addition of Sabha has allowed a more aesthetic redrawing of Fezzan’s borders.

That’s all for today. Next week, @Groogy will reveal some of the new features coming in the as yet unnamed Immersion pack to be released alongside 1.28.

Last edited:
Reactions:
May I ask you what is it you find is lacking or being implemented lazily? The dev team is already working as much as they can, with milestones and deadlines that we endeavor to reach in an efficient and timely manner. Working more hours is not a solution when the development team is already on full-time – doing so would be counterproductive. Asking them to work more would be awful to them and would put the project in jeopardy.
Asturias should be part of leon, and why creating a nation with basc bizkaia, castillian burgos and asturias? Such a Frankenstein Core giving Also Majorca pls

Thank you for this exciting update!

I like how you have modified Aragón, Asturias, Baleares, Canarias, Castilla, Galicia, León, and Valencia.

I feel like Navarra needs access to the sea, through their city of San Sebastián.

Portugal is in need of one or two more provinces. With the newly buffed Castille, they seem like an easy target.

I would leave the province of Granada as landlocked, having Málaga and Marbella as their newly coastal provinces.

And I’d also increase the number of coastal provinces in Morocco and Algiers, a Casablanca would be nice to see.

castilla 26 provinces, 277 development

Aragon, 11 provinces, 117 development

portugal, 10 provinces, 114 development

Castilla, + 9
Portugal: +1
Aragon: + 5

Canary Islands: +1

Kind of in line with my point, lackluster.

I hope you guys read the feedback, though. And next to reading it, actually doing something with it.

Gameplay feedback is generally listened to, but one for provinces seems to be lower priority? I don't know, just use Google Maps is my tip I guess.

We always take the time to read the community's feedback no matter the subject. Naturally, depending on not only the length but also the complexity of the feedback, it is sometimes hard to implement all of it in a single action. You have to bear in mind that game teams have a vision for what they want our games to be and the goal with each update is to bring us closer to that. Suggestions made by the community are sometimes in line with this, and sometimes they detract from the intended goal. That's not to say they're not considered, but the key here is that they have to be carefully considered.

We always take the time to read the community's feedback no matter the subject. Naturally, depending on not only the length but also the complexity of the feedback, it is sometimes hard to implement all of it in a single action. You have to bear in mind that game teams have a vision for what they want our games to be and the goal with each update is to bring us closer to that. Suggestions made by the community are sometimes in line with this, and sometimes they detract from the intended goal. That's not to say they're not considered, but the key here is that they have to be carefully considered.

@RodDel

Sorry, but again. What you've said before doesn't correspond with the final result. This is not a good map update, how is it possible that you could find enough time to research for the British Isles and Russia but not for the Iberian peninsula.

It's not complex to add Majorca tag, you've added Asturias that gets cores in completely ahistorical provinces.
If you wanted to balance the region you could even add a Cordoba tag! It wouldn't have been that far fecthed. Portugal again is being forgotten. No, this is not good, and splitting Galicia into 4 provinces like IRL is not something that requires more than 10 minutes of research, let's be real.

Moreover: I would like to know who did the map and new tag rework. Because he did a bad job and he doesn't deserve to be praised. That person didn't do a good enough research, it is bad.

Edit: I'm complaining because this is not obscure history from a country that does not longer exist. It's google, you can google most of the information and it doesn't take time what we see here is lack of attention.

Last edited:
Valencia: The Kingdom of Valencia was a major constituent part of the Crown of Aragon in 1444. In 1.28 the former kingdom of El Cid will be a releasable nation.

Asturias: The Kingdom of Asturias ceased to exist long before our start date, but it nicely fills the absence of releasable nations in the region.
I could have sworn those two already existed in game. Weird.

I love the upgrade! Thank you very much.

Some comments and thoughts that maybe helps to improve your nice work:

- Lleida isn't in Aragon, it has always been in Catalonia and actually it's in the area of the Urgell province.

- You should rename that new province as "Monzón" (where the Habsburg dynasty celebrated the general courts of the Crown of Aragon) or "Caspe" (where representatives of the three territories chose the Trastámara candidate as the new king of the Crown of Aragon).

- The province of Pirineo should be renamed as "Huesca" or "Jaca" or at least put it in plural "Pirineos".

- Vizcaya and Rioja should belong to the kingdom of Navarre. They have never been part of the kingdom of Asturias. If you desire to name the provinces by their culture group, in Basque Vizcaya is "Bizcaia". (La) Rioja is more like a modern denomination than a historical one. That province should be named "Nájera" or "Logroño".

- Extremadura is the name of the whole region, that province should be named "Cáceres"; same happens with Castilla la Vieja, that should be "Valladolid".

- The names of Balearic Islands are in English, in Catalan they are called "Eivissa", "Mallorca" and "Menorca".

I hope it helps :)

These people are Swedish and English, they will not know Spanish and they do not have a master about Spain.

I think they have collected many of the requests (historical and substantiated) that were made:

- Kingdom of Galicia, more provinces for Castilla, Tarragona in Catalonia, Kingdom of Valencia, Canary Islands in dispute ...

Fail fat, I only see the LLeida, and maybe, maybe, Extremadura.

Valladolid instead of Castile, names of Galician provinces, some province may be missing in Portugal or in Castile, some like mini-islands, others do not. All these are small things

In short, one must not be critical. And also we must explain the origin of the criticism and expose the facts.

It is not the same to say that Extremadura needs a province more, that Extremadura has done a shit or that extremadura needs more provinces and explain the reason.

In short, peace and tranquility for all.

The new map falls slightly short on additional provinces to Iberia.

When they updated Sweden a few years ago, new provinces were added in between developer diaries. Hopefully this is the case for Iberia.

Mallorca should be a releasable tag.

@RodDel

Sorry, but again. What you've said before doesn't correspond with the final result. This is not a good map update, how is it possible that you could find enough time to research for the British Isles and Russia but not for the Iberian peninsula.

It's not complex to add Majorca tag, you've added Asturias that gets cores in completely ahistorical provinces.
If you wanted to balance the region you could even add a Cordoba tag! It wouldn't have been that far fecthed. Portugal again is being forgotten. No, this is not good, and splitting Galicia into 4 provinces like IRL is not something that requires more than 10 minutes of research, let's be real.

Moreover: I would like to know who did the map and new tag rework. Because he did a bad job and he doesn't deserve to be praised. That person didn't do a good enough research, it is bad.

Edit: I'm complaining because this is not obscure history from a country that does not longer exist. It's google, you can google most of the information and it doesn't take time what we see here is lack of attention.

I second this, it's simply a poor job.

If I do this kind of lazy work at my job, I would have been fired years ago. But everyone can do a mistake, lets see see if they correct this crap called "map"

@RodDel

You might want to consider constructive criticism instead of attacking people personally for their work for which they have no doubt put many hours in even if they allegedly didn't put as much effort as they did in British Isles or Russia. You sound rather bitter in this post and I suspect that Paradox might not take you more seriously in that kind of tone. Don't forget that the devs are just as much human as you and I are. They will make mistakes but let's not get so personal about it. Your points about shortcomings of these map changes are valid but the way you are critiquing them like this will backfire on you. Please be considerate.

You might want to consider constructive criticism instead of attacking people personally for their work for which they have no doubt put many hours in even if they allegedly didn't put as much effort as they did in British Isles or Russia. You sound rather bitter in this post and I suspect that Paradox might not take you more seriously in that kind of tone. Don't forget that the devs are just as much human as you and I are. They will make mistakes but let's not get so personal about it. Your points about shortcomings of these map changes are valid but the way you are critiquing them like this will backfire on you. Please be considerate.

I've already did a quick fix (not complete) in page 5 of this thread.

It's difficult being considered when I'm being lied to my face. Because I see the results and I can't believe there was research put in this rework. Sorry I can't believe it. And seeing the reworks of the British Isles, Russia and India I expect similar quality and I don't see it.

@RodDel

Sorry but who are you to say this job is poor or whatever?
Such a lack of respect and consideration. It's very embarrasing and I sincerely hope you are not Spanish because that would make me blush.

You lost your change of rectification with the response you quoted. If you think you can make a better game then go on and do it then sell it to us and see how many people buy it. Otherwise give your ideas without being disrespectful like that!

I could have sworn those two already existed in game. Weird.

Valencia definitely has never existed as a tag in EU4. But the really strange thing is that it already had a flag buried in the gfx files for some reason. A mystery indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.