• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #103 - Long live the King!

Greetings.

Today we will put Pagans aside, go back to good old Catholics, and explore one of the new features coming for them with Holy Fury: Coronation Ceremonies.

20180730085127_1.jpg

With this expansion, succeeding to the throne of a Catholic Kingdom or Empire will not be a simple matter of gaining the title itself. The new ruler will need to organize a Coronation Ceremony (via new intrigue decision) and be recognized as legitimate by a notable member of the Catholic Church.
If a Catholic ruler fails to be officially crowned, he will see his popularity slowly fade away each year, as his vassals grow more and more restless under what they perceive as an illegitimate King.

20180730085152_1.jpg

Coronation is divided into two phases: preparation and ceremony.
During the preparation, the ruler will decide whom he wishes to be crowned by, he will meet the Church’s demands, and invest money to organize the ceremony. In the second phase, the ruler will host the ceremony itself, interacting with guests and ultimately receiving his crown.

When organizing a ceremony, a Catholic King can choose between three possible options when it comes to officiant priests: he can be crowned by a low-status theocratic vassal within his realm, by a powerful theocratic vassal within his realm (such as a Cardinal, Antipope or Prince-Bishop), or by the Pope himself. Catholic Emperors who fail to enact the Free Investiture succession on the other hand will be limited in their selection only to the Pope.
While being crowned by a local Bishop is a lot less prestigious, it is also much cheaper, as higher-ranking members of the Church will be prone to make outlandish requests, especially if they dislike the ruler requesting them to officiate his coronation.

Coronation2.jpg

Requests may vary a lot, especially when it comes to the Pope: the Holy Father might ask you to change your realm’s Investiture laws, wage war against an Excommunicated ruler on behalf of the Papacy, or to restore some of the Central Italian provinces to the Holy See.
Be sure to be in good relations with the Pope before asking for a coronation if you wish to receive a more tolerable offer.

Once the demands of your chosen priest have been met, you will be able to select a budget for your ceremony which will determine the kind of coronation you will receive, the kind of flavor events tied to it and the number of guests participating in it.
An extravagant coronation is a prestigious event to which all your vassals, courtiers and even neighboring Christian rulers are invited, a secluded coronation is a private feast to which only your Council will have access to.

20180730091014_1.jpg

Once the ceremony has been concluded, your character will receive a specific trait tied to the priest that crowned him, as well as retain any additional perks granted by the flavor events experienced during the feast leading up to the coronation.

You might have noticed from the screenshots that this new mechanic affects character portraits as well: Catholic Kings and Emperors that have not been crowned will no longer wear the high-tier headgear in Holy Fury, defaulting to the Ducal band instead until their rank has been officially recognized by the Church (naturally, if you do not own Holy Fury, Catholic Kings and Emperors will wear the appropriate gear by default as before).

20180730091758_1.jpg

This is not the only portrait-related addition though: Holy Fury will bring to the game a series of special crown artifacts that will be visible on portraits whenever the characters are wearing them. Most of these artifacts can only be used when the character meets certain requirements and they are often tied to a specific title rather than a character’s dynasty.

Coronation6.jpg

Coronation7.jpg

And this should be about it for this week.

This is so damn good, I cannot wait for the new DLC, this may have been asked before but from the shear size of the DLC does this mean it's the last one they are doing for CK2? (I hope not)

Personally, I'm glad that Paradox are bringing features from successful mods to vanilla. This allows people to experience rich features right off the bat, with achievements if they so please, and more importantly means they're monitoring the community and checking on features that people want.
And this is the single point that gets me irritated over Holy Fury: They kinda deny that they are doing this.
Which, as you say, they obviously don't, as otherwise they would not be bringing this exclusive set of most-wished-for mod ideas to vanilla. They would maybe just have added some random features that no one (or very few people) wanted (like it happened a few times with past DLCs) - which would have been stupid and ludicrous.
They even not long ago unveiled how they were tracking mod popularity, which clearly shows that they are doing what you assume. Heck, they even changed their user agreements not long ago to allow for ingame statistics to be collected, such as which event options you click etc. Plus they explicitly reserve the right to take any mod ideas for their vanilla game in the modding rules, to make sure that everything would be 100% legal and no silly judicial fight could ensue.
Now why would they just now, at the point of their potentially best DLC to date deny that they are doing what they have presumably been preparing to do for a long time now, which is monitoring player demand and mod usage to identify the best ideas to implement. That puzzles me :confused:

Edit: I realize a lot of people disagree, and I do realize I might be wrong about this (after all, I'm not the Pope and infallible ^^).
So if anyone can disprove my assumptions here, I would be glad to withdraw my statements.
Yet I tend to think of myself as a rather "logical" person, and I honestly can't tell which part of my assumption is flawed.

Last edited:
i noticed the two stars in the new trait,does it mean it will have three stars if crowned by Pope?
Yes.
is the hre crown an artifact like the persian one? Can we see it?
Yes; it looks like the German Emperor-tier crown (since that is what the HRE crown is), except that, when worn, it is the same regardless of the ruler's culture.

The reason because it's just for Christians and not for pagans, it's because we need uniqueness.

Plus historically it makes no sense for pagan tribes to prove their rule as heaven sent when the entire tribal society is based around prestige to build and summon and armies...

Pagan coronation can be different, it doesn't have to be between ruler and religious head. Pagan coronation should be between the liege and their vassals, if more than 50% of direct vassals attend the coronation, then the liege is legitimate, granting more bonus as more people attend.

Do Catholic tribals, like Scotts and Irishmen will be able to be coronated or it’s leaved to feudals?

Now why would they just now, at the point of their potentially best DLC to date deny that they are doing what they have presumably been preparing to do for a long time now, which is monitoring player demand and mod usage to identify the best ideas to implement. That puzzles me :confused:

Personally, I think Paradox should provide some sort of compensation to modders which good ideas were taken. Nothing huge, free copies of Holy Fury perhaps and/or direct acknowledgement for their contribution to CK2. We all know that mods make or break a game's longevity, Skyrim survived for much longer because it has so many good mods that people always recommend

That’s great!

But PLEASE could you give us the possibility to choose a proper regnal name?

How will coronations work when ruler swaps religion?
Will orthodox king who swapped to catholic suddenly drops royal crown until he gets catholic bishop to put it on his head again?

:( Poor Orthodoxy- not exotic enough for new mechanics, not western European enough for new flavor events. I hope they get somthing this expansion at least.

Though on the topic of clerical influence over secular rulers, in-game Orthodoxy is highly unrealistic in this regard- historical events like the Arsenite Schism (where a new Emperor got excommunicated for overthrowing the previous one) or Leo IV's dispute over getting another divorce are simply impossible with CKII unhistorically ceasaropapist Orthodoxy.
While I guess linking it to coronation doesn't make sense, there should be some equivalent mechanic that makes life difficult for an Orthodox ruler disliked by the church.

Do Catholic tribals, like Scotts and Irishmen will be able to be coronated or it’s leaved to feudals?
Feudals only.

Will the Iron Crown of Lombardy be visible on character portraits, and can crown artifacts be lost on succession?
The Crown of Lombardy is indeed one such artifact.
The Crown artifacts that are tied to titles can be lost on succession. If your heir is not elected next HREmperor (for example), you will continue the game with your Duke heir and the new Emperor will take the crown (provided that the old Emperor had the crown of course. If some Viking stole it from him, it is not going to magically reappear in the treasury of the new Emperor).

As someone who has had mods on the Workshop which have added features to the game, I don't give a crap if some dev may have played it, liked it and used it as a base for new content, I'm just happy the game is getting new content, I don't need a pat on the back or sempai noticing me. I mod because I enjoy the game, I'm not looking for validation or an ego boost from the devs...

This Dev Diary brings a lot of nice additions. However, I still find it strange that the Orthodox are left out of the loop. Their event-chain wouldn't have to be as far and extravagant as the Catholic one, but it should still exist. The Eastern Roman emperor/ Byzantine Emperor should be an exception, due to their special status and they should have a special coronation.

The mechanics are all there, so it's safe to assume that you won't run in to any technical difficulties. For the Orthodox could be a simple event, similar to just holding a feast for your vassals.

Event:

1. Decides to get crowned, asks a bishop or patriarch.
2. Coronation begins.
3. A speech.
4. Potential fights/arguments/etc
5. All hail the new king.

It is a small and simple thing to add, but it would add a lot of flavor. Moreever, it would also please those who play as Orthodox characters a lot. I imagine Orthodox Christians in real life would be delighted too.

Just my 2 cents.

Other than an increasing vassal opinion malus, are there any other downsides to being uncrowned? Like, in CK2+ for example, being uncrowned made you vulnerable to people pressing weak claims against your title even if you were and adult male.

Also, will any of the existing crown artwork be given a rework? Like say a certain ugly as sin red monstrosity that celtic emperors are saddled with?

Lastly, will orthodox be given any love this DLC? It already is a bit bare compared to its latin cousin and HF is looking to make the situation even more lopsided.