Changes to Playing Previous Versions of PDS Titles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sounds like the code didn't take. Ensure you dont have any leading or trailing white spaces. The code input is senstive to that.

Its also case sensitive too.
Thanks. it was actually easier than that to solve. You need to use the drop down menu...duh. Below the menu was the reference to v1.9.2.

Victoria 2 only ever had one previous version 3.0.3 which is still available.

The game probably doesnt need changing as it was already GDPR compliant
Could have sworn somebody talked about being on a lower patch, though I guess it was the old trick of copying files elsewhere for backup of old patch levels. Same reason I still have EU4 release version on an old harddrive.

Could have sworn somebody talked about being on a lower patch, though I guess it was the old trick of copying files elsewhere for backup of old patch levels. Same reason I still have EU4 release version on an old harddrive.

I mean EU4 has like a dozen beta branches too. There's hardly a need to archive it when its all basically available

Counterpoint 1: "But X does something even worse than Y" does not mean we shouldn't care what Y does. This happens to be a forum about Y, so of course we're talking about what Y does. Just for argument's sake: Yes, there are many many companies out there that collect much more intrusive data. So what?
Counterpint 2: You have fundamentally misunderstood the GDPR framework. For the GDPR to even apply, according to Art 2(1) PDX has to process "personal data". Under Art 4(1) this means "any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person". So if PDX were to wholly deal in aggregate statistics and leave out any personal identifiers, they would only be handling anonymized data, which wouldn't even fall under the scope of GDPR and hence require no consent. In making this huge deal about GDPR complicance, PDX is tacitly admitting that they don't do that. Sure, the end goal may or may not be a broad statistical overview, but either they are unable or unwilling to do it in a truly anonymized way.
Counterpoint 3: Only thinking about the end goal of data collection in an ideal world is a bit short-sighted. Data gets lost (on an old harddrive), stolen, mishandled (sold by a disgruntled employee), company ownership and policies may change, etc. Part of the GDPR's focus is making companies really think about what kinds of data they collect, whether this data is really necessary and in what way it is collected and stored to mitigate long-term risks. In this light I don't find your argument very compelling.

You completely miss the point where I stated that the only personal data being collected is the data needed to have a multiplayer game in the first place. As a dev said, that being the SteamID and the IP Address, both things that a game would need for multiplayer to even work. THAT was my point, people up at arms over someone collecting data that's necessary in the first place. Thus they still fall under GDPR, even if they aren't going to be doing anything with the personal data. That's points one and two you made rendered completely moot. As for point three, as said before you give out more personal data doing everyday things on websites and in person, so worrying about your IP Address and SteamID being given out is extremely short-sighted and distracting from the data exchanges you really should be worried about.

But please, do oversimplify and spin the meaning of my words how you like.

I mean EU4 has like a dozen beta branches too. There's hardly a need to archive it when its all basically available
Nothing older than 1.3 or 1.4 is available on steam, though.

You completely miss the point where I stated that the only personal data being collected is the data needed to have a multiplayer game in the first place. As a dev said, that being the SteamID and the IP Address, both things that a game would need for multiplayer to even work. THAT was my point, people up at arms over someone collecting data that's necessary in the first place. Thus they still fall under GDPR, even if they aren't going to be doing anything with the personal data. That's points one and two you made rendered completely moot. As for point three, as said before you give out more personal data doing everyday things on websites and in person, so worrying about your IP Address and SteamID being given out is extremely short-sighted and distracting from the data exchanges you really should be worried about.

But please, do oversimplify and spin the meaning of my words how you like.
Fair enough, I didn't discuss your multiplayer argument. But even after you've laid it out a second time in more detail - I'm not sure I understand the relevance. Engaging in multiplayer (at least in PDX games) is a choice. And even disregarding the (admittedly rather deprecated) peer-to-peer variants, the server negotiating a connection doesn't need to keep logs either.
Being forced to accept completely unneccessary data collection in order to play a singleplayer game is quite a bit different from needing to provide temporary personal data, so the technical aspects of multiplayer work. Even the PDX privacy policy treats them in separate bullet points ("In-game activity including but not limited to what games you play, own, how you play, how often and for how long" vs "Multiplayer sessions, when these sessions were played and which players were in them").
And again, may I point you to the GDPR? The requirements for legal processing of data are laid out in Art 6. Consent as per Art 6(1)(a) is just one (very powerful) option. Another per Art 6(1)(b) applies when "processing is necessary for the performance of a contract". If multiplayer is part of the product and the processing of IP addresses and SteamIDs is neccessary to make multiplayer work - PDX again wouldn't even need our consent!

As for the "big picture" argument - I think we are pretty much on the same page anyway. No need for infighting among us few privacy-concious people. I just find it silly to object to a discussion about PDX's privacy approach on the PDX forums in a thread about GDPR complicance. I can rant about the big (and awful) players all day - why would them existing hinder me from posting here as well? I don't feel very distracted, to be honest.

Well my feeling about this would be a string of cursewords especially about those who came up with this password idea, screw ever linking my steam acc to paradox shit
It is quite silly. I will also never link my accounts. But thankfully RodDel seems to have already pointed out a solution in the opening post:
My friend gave me a code to access an older version of the game, can I use it?
Yes, but please understand that by using the code you agree with our Privacy Policy and understand what it means.
This sounds a lot like there is only 1 code that is the same for everyone (which btw is also my understanding how Beta access on Steam generally works). Maybe you can find that code somewhere, so you can avoid linking your accounts? Just taking a wild guess here, of course :rolleyes:

Maybe you can find that code somewhere, so you can avoid linking your accounts?
I mean, it says my account link is broken, and I can see the codes, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Actually, I also created a new account and didn't link it to a steam account, and still got the codes, so maybe that requirement was a miscommunication somewhere.

As for the developers taking heat over this whole thing, I think Paradox likes to humblebrag that they have an intelligent, caring, and devoted fanbase, and for those of us holding their feet to the fire over this, its because we hold them to a higher standard. Its not about lobbing vitriol as if this were some AAA publisher, and I can only speak for myself, but can you imagine another company that inspires its customers to debate their regulatory compliance? You can't even pay people to do that, if you find people that are capable of it. Criticism can come from a place of love.

Last edited:
I have linked but no games come up in paradox accounts, so how can I find the keys to access previous patch?

In the paradox accounts, It has a purple box keep telling to link to steam for game keys, but I have already done that, so what should I do now, please help

finally i have selected the order version patch for EU4 by using someone's game key but its not the right version for my convert save from CK2, so I cannot continue with the save game, for god sake

I have linked but no games come up in paradox accounts, so how can I find the keys to access previous patch?

In the paradox accounts, It has a purple box keep telling to link to steam for game keys, but I have already done that, so what should I do now, please help
There should be a button in the games section, check these screenshots: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...our-game-version.1121392/page-2#post-24706459
finally i have selected the order version patch for EU4 by using someone's game key but its not the right version for my convert save from CK2, so I cannot continue with the save game, for god sake
Eu4 worked fine for me. Are you sure you selected the correct version from the dropdown menu?

man I cannot remember which version i was using yesterday for my CK2 converted game, it tell me to use 1.22 but Im sure this isnt the right one
Perhaps try going through all CKII versions and see which one has the save in question visible without showing incompatible saves.

"Respectfully Disagree"
No I am not respectful, I STRONGLY disagree with this idiotic move! But since there are no men left in Stockholm, I will not write my opinion here since you would only delete my post and whine about how offended you would be by my harsh words.

This was the final straw that broke the camels back, I will not buy anymore of your overpriced dlc's. I might even do as the poster above me and uninstall all of your games.

Not sure why I got a "respectfully disagree" to post#238 above when I only stated facts, not opinions.

Perhaps I need to explain further that I have made custom modifications to several games that I consider essential to my enjoyment of playing those games. The modifications were my own and I cannot remember every change of every line I made, therefore recreating the modifications in exactly the same way is impossible and both those custom installations and my saves for them are permanently lost. This was years of effort making tweaks that are now gone. Installing the old patch versions would not be enough to recover my games, I would have to replicate all the tweaks as well. Those were removed by Paradox when they forced an update that I did not want and had disabled. Without control over my game installations to make these tweaks and prevent changes or updates, the games are far less enjoyable for me. They might be fun for you, but they were not fun for me without my tweaks. Which is why I uninstalled all Paradox titles that I have on Steam because I cannot prevent such forced updates on that platform.