Changes to Playing Previous Versions of PDS Titles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not a fan of this. I've had my account linked to Steam for a while now, and I still only have 3 things linked under 'games'. Like, I've had it synced for months. Are you guys actually gonna fix the paradoxplaza games thing to work, or am I just screwed?

Not a fan of this. I've had my account linked to Steam for a while now, and I still only have 3 things linked under 'games'. Like, I've had it synced for months. Are you guys actually gonna fix the paradoxplaza games thing to work, or am I just screwed?
Again: the fact that not all your games show in your My Games page WILL NOT AFFECT this function. The passwords necessary for access beta versions will be provided in the My Games page AS A SEPARATE LIST, NOT attached to the games there.

Again: the fact that not all your games show in your My Games page WILL NOT AFFECT this function. The passwords necessary for access beta versions will be provided in the My Games page AS A SEPARATE LIST, NOT attached to the games there.
Understood, so the separate list will appear in the My Games page on October 1?

I'd love to know exactly *why* the old versions aren't GPDR compliant and why this is the best workaround. I thought steam had the function to update the EULA for installed games? Couldn't the EULA be updated for rolled-back versions?

I'd love to know exactly *why* the old versions aren't GPDR compliant and why this is the best workaround. I thought steam had the function to update the EULA for installed games? Couldn't the EULA be updated for rolled-back versions?
GDPR requires that data gathered by us be detailed and given permission to by users. Pre-GDPR game versions (obviously!) did not ask that permission.

There was no EULA put up for the user to agree to for earlier game versions, it was implicit or not even in existence at all. CK2 is over 6 years old, such things were simply not a consideration then!

It is simply impractical to go back and update dozens of old game versions to display GDPR requirements, not to mention being a huge time-sink for developers who should be working on bug fixes and new features instead.

It's irrelevant. Steam update only changes the files in your install folder, it doesn't snoop around your whole computer to see if you've made copies. So if you copy the version you want to play with now, it will stay the same no matter what Paradox does on or after 1 October.
At least in the past then all DLC got disabled after a while.

Pre-GDPR game versions (obviously!) did not ask that permission.
Actually there was. When EU4 originally released you got a prompt whether you wanted to send data or not when first starting the game. IIRC CKII had a similar one at some point.

Plus others actually are making a good point about how the consent hardly is voluntary and hence not valid. Though at least for me then I don't mind participating in this.

OK, now I'm shocked.
Not with the PDX decision, though it is slightly disturbing.
But with people like this who perceive the law about data as something good not just an annoying meddling:
. Since the tracking of this personal data is not necessary for the functioning of older versions of the game, it is in violation of GDPR to require that players consent to it and therefore any consent given is invalid.
I prefer attempts, even if not perfect by far, at data protection to no protection at all, thank you.
I sincerely hope this allows me access to the codes, because no way am I linking my Steam account. My Steam account is none of PDX's business. The whole point is that under the GDPR regime companies should only collect the necessary data and no more (Art 5(1)(b) "limited to what is necessary").
Can we please have a complete breakdown of the data that is being transferred to Paradox.
the law is clear that it needs to be implicit and not something like "if you continue using this service then we assume you agree".
However, I get the impression that PDX is very reluctant to make the change, that it doesn't manage to see GDPR as an opportunity, and that, on top of that, numerous changes are (seemingly) unnecessarily made against the interests of customers.

Formulations like that data is deleted GDPR-compatible, unless you have a game of PDX (which is always true, otherwise you wouldn't have produced data first), or now that a login (with data transfer) is necessary to access old versions seems cynical. I'm also worried about how much IPs seem to be stored.
this reasoning makes no sense. It seems you abuse the implementation of the GDPR as an excuse to collect more data from your customers.
I know , you prefer when companies take your information and sell them out without telling you . Im so sorry that we force you to take resposibility for your information ,and to be actualy informed of actual facts.
I have not linked my Steam and Paradox accounts despite numerous overtures to do so from Paradox, and I won't do it now either.
From Russia with love ;)
UPD: Updated with more quotes of such strange people...

Last edited:
OK, now I'm shocked.
Not with the PDX decision, though it is slightly disturbing.
But with people like this who perceive the law about data as something good not just an annoying meddling:From Russia with love ;)

Your arguments are truly convincing.....:rolleyes:

Your arguments are truly convincing.....:rolleyes:
Yeah, I can see your sarcasm you know. What unimaginably horrible things can PDX or Facebook or Google or basically any company make with your data that will actually affect you? At worst, they could give your contacts to someone so that you get spammed - but that clearly has no reference to telemetry OR cookies, for serious - or try and make use of your bank data - same.

Yeah, I can see your ...

Paradox did that before this GPDR 'thing' already.
My post that you quoted was a specific response to a specific post.*
Start arguing or i report your for (bad) trolling ("But with people like this..").

PS:
* Wait you agreed with my quoted post , but then this ? o_O
A misunderstanding somewhere likely....whatever...

Last edited:
Did what "that"? Collected some data from your computer for statistical reasons and rechecking your right to play the game? How EU managed to make this a crime not only de-jure but in the minds of some people is unintelligible for me.

Shams, Goldberg is that one of you two ?
Whatever, that's very sad that is "is unintelligible for.." you.
Data protection and a right to privacy seems to be unheard of to you.
Well, sad, but your opinion then.
I gave up on people like that and you really didn't even offer a good start for a discussion, so i leave it here.

I fail to see how taking telemetry of your game or cookies of your using a site for statistics hurts your privacy.
As far as i'm concerned, my game telemetry, i'm fine with Paradox getting. But i sure am happy the EU made this regulation, because it protects my privacy from less scrupulous companies, while also avoiding companies like Paradox from getting tempted.

So yeah, i prefer a law creating a framework protecting our privacy compared to no law at all.

Pity the account linking function is malfunctioning garbage. Now my WC attempt has to end this weekend because linking my account didn't detect my 1000+ hours of EU4 and the patch is gonna break my save. Thanks a lot!

Pity the account linking function is malfunctioning garbage. Now my WC attempt has to end this weekend because linking my account didn't detect my 1000+ hours of EU4 and the patch is gonna break my save. Thanks a lot!
There is nothing wrong with the account linking. I can see you are linked successfully and all your Steam games are listed in your account's Ownership, including EU4.

If you are not seeing them in your My Games page you can ignore that, it does not prevent you doing anything including getting these passwords when that system is implemented next week.

You don't see them in your Owned Items list here because you haven't hit the SYNC button there. Do that and you'll get the game icons.