• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One wonders if a revolution will ... enrich .. Cathay's history.

Relevant OC:

42090052_519544671849777_6151797909940600832_n.jpg

Let the streets of Ventralis be washed with the blood of traitors. The masses have only one right, the right to die in honorable battle against the men of the Emperor. Go get 'em, Diane!

Relevant OC:

Let the streets of Ventralis be washed with the blood of traitors. The masses have only one right, the right to die in honorable battle against the men of the Emperor. Go get 'em, Diane!
No Waluigi.:p

Chapter 25: The World, And Everything In It
Chapter 25: The World, And Everything In it
447px-Peter_der-Grosse_1838.jpg

The Mighty Khitan Empire and its ruling family had spent the last century achieving victory after victory. With a superior population and economic backbone thanks to control of the Rhine and Seine Rivers the Greatest Power in Europe had managed to turn such success into victories abroad, in America, Asia and Africa. The Fruits of success however could often be poisoned, The cost that came with administering a Vast Colonial Empire, and defending it were astronomical.

Despite reform and expansion the Empire a lack of resistance or threat often bred complacency or outright corruption throughout government. Even with the largest army and economic in the world the Khitan Empire relied heavily on its monarchy and absolute administration for stability, and the threat remained ever present that a new chain of poorly suited monarchs could tear all that the House of Caetye had spent a Millennia building.

CkWeSSk.jpg

Perhaps the first remainder would be the deposition of a Royal house in Sicily, but one that could not be ignored was the collapse of the Indian Confederation. The Third Greatest Power of the World, The Indian Empire even with colonies and deals with European Great Powers met the Persians and Pegu peoples in battle over a border dispute, and the sudden death of the Emperor put the entire empire in panic as Persian troops overran the countryside.

With the Fall of the Ming fresh in his Mind as well Alexander spent much of his final years reforming matters of the succession and the monarchy in hopes that Cathay could avoid a similar fate when inevitably the reaper's scythe swung for the Khitan again.

vq35Xtj.png
2aEFtPR.png

The Lack of oversight on the East India company of course meant that soon they would return to their old tricks, this time invading Indochina in response to the creation of the Khitan West India company which now held control of the Empire's primary source of Indigo and Tobacco coming from the Twelve Provinces of America.

The Overextension imposed on the administration from the annexation of hundreds of kilometers of Jungle and hostile Asian natives would put a massive financial drain on the Empire's expenses. The African garrisons had their own funding cuts and troops were siphoned to suppress rebellions in the new Imperial Province of Indochina.

jbdU9h8.png

To Alleviate this demand the Empire turned to several methods most of them based in America. Privateering was a profitable enterprise for the Imperial Navy allowing the equivalent of Hundreds of Khitan Dens per successful enterprise.

DgGTXbW.png

The Other option was the direct approach, seizing control of The British Goldmines of Southern Mexico and integrating them into the Yucatan Colony. Which is exactly what ended up going forward. With the support of the Japanese the British found they had lost control of large portions of their Southernmost North American colony before a response could be mustered by California or British Louisiana.

ITIPINR.png

In a separate venture wealthy investors with interest the East India company would undergo a different operation in Australia after rumors of gold being discovered in the far better defended Persian half of the continent. The new Colony of Cesaria would be a result, allowing Imperial authority to lay claim to the West and Northern Australia coast and all lands in between hospitable or not. Ultimately however the Cesaria expedition would end in failure and would only serve to deepen the complex web of the Khitan colonial administration.

WMsXa1b.png

Still confidence remained high in both intellectual circles and the administration. The Top experts of the Empire all pointed to the Empire of Cathay to having all the proper tools to find success in the days to come.

The Empire had powerful colonies, a military renowned the world over. All while having vast urban cities for manufacture of finished goods and thanks to Emperor Alexander had spent fortunes on the creation and distribution of a university network across the Empire to support the arts and sciences.

All traditional signs pointed towards success, except for the more radical intellectual elements who claimed that absolute monarchy was in fact a dangerous and archaic style of government that brought more harm to the people it ruled than good.

However since the Emperor's illness and Emperor Alexander's repeated complaint at his inability to reform the endlessly complex bureaucracy of the Empire an aura of impending dread continued to hang around court.

C1Kaf50.png

Goings on in Central Europe ultimately would set the course for the future the world as a whole. Bavaria long held back due to its lack of colonies or trade with the great powers that be in the world was finally being partitioned. Emperor Stanislaw II of Bohemia laid claim to the lands North of the Danube river claiming that Bohemia's natural borders would be at the Danube and Elbe Rivers. Thus marking the first major partition of Bavaria between Cathay, Bohemia and Italy.

Ultimately Alexander, recently burned by the italians in a similar war instead chose to negotiate, knowing full well the Bohemians wouldn't abide Khitan presence East of the Rhine without terms, negotiated the transfer of lands to Cathay after a second partition. Emperor Stanislaw agreed, and the war went forward with only the British, who feared the Bohemian-Khitan Alliance growing stronger.

mt1hL7x.png

The British took to attacking the Alliance the only way they could, abroad. Seizing the entirety of Cape Colony for Ransom against the Khitan-Italian-Bohemian aggressors. The Recent budget cuts to the African Garrisons leading to the British victory in South Africa quickly became a major scandal within the Empire rocking the legitimacy of the East Empire company's authority in the eyes of the common people for the first time since its inception.
480px-Deathbed_portrait_of_Peter_I_by_I.Nikitin_%281725%2C_Russian_museum%29.jpg

Other news however quickly overshadowed war reports and Scandal in Asia. Emperor Alexander had died of a second heart attack. His Eldest, Diane now styled the Fourth ascended to the Throne after a period of mourning. After a long and prosperous rule Alexander II left an Empire with vast quantities of work left unfinished, and a State war with with its Bureaucracy as well as actually at war with a foreign Power.

Diane IV as had become common for her namesake would have own rule dominated by the First Partition of Bavaria as the British continued to be belligerent and fight tooth and nail in America and Africa. But it would not be an easy succession.

P6PS34e.png
5KtRl4z.png

The Sicilian coup had re-ignited the spark of ambition in those that would name themselves pretender to the True Empire. However the days of Medieval Civil Warfare was Past. George Cathay, Diane's Cousin had managed to raise a host of men hoping to march on the Capital while troops were affield elsewhere in Bavaria and the Colonies. Despite success crossing the Seine River Prince George would be stopped and his army dispersed outside Picardie by an army led by Capitan Arnold Drago.
A Chinese Pretender and potential Warlord by the name of Jixi also rose up with a host of peasant and deserters naming himself Rightful Emperor of China and Cathay. However he would find even less success than Prince George and would be utterly crushed by Field Marshall Maxentius Abaoji. Jixi and his followers would be put to death by firing line. Prince George Meanwhile would be exiled to the Falklands under heavy guard.

55dOEsG.jpg

Further news from Asia would bring news of Scandinavia's renewed success in the region. Deployment of proper armed forces into the mess of the Wu and Ming Dynasties, the Scandinavian Army had managed to reclaim Nordic China as well as push south to establish a land border with Cathay. Though Scandinavia ultimately would only drive the stake deeper into a once recovering Ming Dynasty, leaving the door open for Khotan and Shun to step in as the dominant Native powers in Central Asia after India's collapse.​

Do6bP7Q.png

In Europe with war raging in Germany the Council of Birds had passed the first of a series of major reorganization reforms.

The Kingdom of Sicily had managed to retake constantinople from Nikea which had finally brought the Great Sicilian debate to the forefront. Sicilian and Balkan Greeks each had their own vested interest within the Empire, but now the Sicilian Greeks were very much the minority and no longer held control of the royal family. Leo of Belgrade would use this as his opportunity to settle the debate once and for all and ask for the Council of Birds to crown him Emperor of the Greeks.

As for why Leo did not instead ask to be crowned Roman Emperor the reasons were several fold. First, the Khitan existed and still maintained an unbroken line of succession back to the last Emperor in Constantinople. Second, the Empire while holding constantinople did not hold Anatolia or Rome thus making it less likely for Leo's claims to be taken with any legitimacy. Last the Republican influence within Sicily itself desired the change of title to more accurately represent the new liberal government of the Balkan Kingdom.

Needless to say the Despotate of Nikea was not amused at this turn of events but could ultimately do nothing having been run out of the city of Men's desire and pinned between Persia and now the Greek Empire.

YYMFa61.png

Emperor Leo I's first act as Emperor would be to sign a peace treaty with Bohemia establishing Greek Borders in effect as Status Quo abandoning Bavaria and Great Britain to its fate and potentially endeering the Bohemians to New Potential Allies against the Persians and Italians once Bavaria had finally been put to pasture.

Nhu8tAx.jpg

With Sicily no longer a factor the partition of Bavaria could finalize in earnest, with large swathes of the Kingdom falling to Bohemia and Italy. The New Order of Europe was developing and it was developing quickly. Cathay however would not be present at the final negotiations and so received nothing. As to why, The Empire was in Mourning, not for Emperor Alexander, but for Diane.

S1TyfeX.png

Tragedy had struck again. The Omen was clear, While for some nations the coming age would be one of great success, The Spectre of Death would hang over the house of Caetye throughout it all.

I had quite a bit of spare time today and the Secret Project is progressing slowly so here you all go. No promises the Daily updates will continue but I'd like them to.

I had a bit of a shock when trying to get a mod working for the Multiplayer SOTD campaign where I almost lost all of my HOI screenshots + the conversion mod, Thankfully however I managed to recover them, So were on track! and the screenshots are now safely backed up elsewhere on the computer. ;)

You really need to kill Toulouse and integrate Aquitaine. Got to have that Mediterranean port.:p

Ehh I'll get to it eventually, For now I like having the Karlings as Pets.

Italy is making for a poor ally... If they keep this up, they may yet face Cathay's wrath.

Age of revolution? Preposterous! The colonies will stay just that under your rule.

They screwed me over twice now, Fool me once and all that but I get the vague feeling italy and bohemia will have to pay for this

One wonders if a revolution will ... enrich .. Cathay's history.

That sounds like Treason to me

Hyped for murdering the aristos! Good luck with saving Cathay from oppression!

Cool stuff. Good luck with the empire and whatnot.

Indeed, Here's hoping for another Millenia of absolute divine rule

Relevant OC:

I'm with Luigi on this one. Sadly though Diane turned out to be a nonstarter, robbed of her rule by Alexander living to be really old. Though its not often you get Star Child event rulers living through a regency to old age so I'm not gonna complain too much.

Ehh I'll get to it eventually, For now I like having the Karlings as Pets.
But eventually, a sick pet must be put down. For its own good.:D

Aton? An omen to what is coming?

Yes, the omens are coming thick and fast and do not look good.

Ah man, India is being a disappointment and collapsing now, that's kind of sad.:( At least Cathay can clam-in a bit more of Southern India without Bharat to intervene I guess. Through being descended from the Indian subcontinent myself (I'm not from India in case your wondering), I do want a native country from the subcontient to be strong. At least I still have Persia as a very strong Asian country.:) I'm also rooting for California to be the Great Power of the Americas cause it would be a nice balance of power to have a North American power in addition to Europeans, Africans and Asians. Japan would also be a nice replacement for India too, since they were a colonizer too, through they didn't fully live up to my hopes for them tbh.

Revolutions huh, well traitors revolutionaries and colonial separatists will never be able to break the will of the great Cathay monarchy (through like I said, the monarchy being replaced by an unstable and maybe repressive republic for Hoi4 in Victoria 2's endgame would make for an interesting game) Through if the REAL reason the Twelve Provinces want a revolution is so that a Hamilton style musical could be made 200 years later because of it, I won't judge, just as long as the monarchy stays in power of course.;)

I find the partition of China to be interesting, through I do wish Britain got their share of China like they were supposed to, since Scandivia's color is smiliar to Cathay. But we would have a similar problem to their color being similar to Japan who's also part of the partition so theirs that.

Its nice to see Greece here, which you don't see often around in AARs, let alone as a great power. I mean, its no Byzantine Empire but it's still something.

I love the balance of power between the Great Powers in this AAR so far too. We got Colonial Empires of Great Britain, Scandinavia, all competing against each other, and they are a nice colonial trio too. We also have an secondary European Trio between Italy, Bohemia and Sicily/Greece always going head to head with each other because of their goals, but also united in their common interest to eat Bavaria and the Balkans.:D Then we have colonial outside Europe that are always a treat, from Persia with Persian Australia to pretty impressive kingdoms in Africa like Tunisia and Mali. I remember hoping that when India formed, they would be a good balancing power to Persia but sadly it looks like they are going to fail to do that it seems. I'm excited to see how the Balance in power in Victoria 2 plays out and how the World Wars will be shaped by it.

It seems that I have an unfortunate experiences with a lot nations that start off great that I root for, only to be disappointed by when they start failing or are mediocre in performance, like Japan and now India, or are underdogs that I hope survive but don't, like the Knights of Santiago.:( Maybe I have unrealistic exceptions for alot of countries I get excited for or and I should be more realistic, but it still makes me sad.:(

Is it just me, or did I take Cathay to be a bit more humanist empire than it seems to be in these recent updates. I mean they are egalitarian and humanist in culture, willing to integrate native religious in their faith and its somewhat progressive with women in its government, through I'm pretty sure its fairly traditional in the social level. I know Humanism is not one of Cathay's idea groups in game, but I personally see it to be humanist myself.

Man, you're flying through rulers right now. That's not the best trend...

Chapter 26: The Channel War
Chapter 26: The Channel War
Prussian-AAA.jpg

With the Death of Diane IV the Kingdom of Cathay found itself scrambling to reorient itself in the face of growing internal problems and a fastly deteriorating diplomatic Landscape in Europe. Italy and Bohemia had been growing too powerful now for well over a century and nothing had been done due to loyalty and disinterest by those with the true keys to power when other opportunities awaited in Asia.

Diane ultimately died childless forcing a Crisis the Kingdom had never before seen. Prince William the late Diane's brother was the rightful heir but was well into old age, considered incompetent and untrained for the throne and whose children had kept the Surname d'Aubigny after their french blooded mother. This left George as the Eldest of the House of Caetye but he was in exile for treason against the Empire as well as the Caetye branches in Italy and Bohemia. In the Meantime Diane's Husband, Erik of Scandinavia presided over a regency council to determine the next Monarch.

After a Three month Interregnum of bribes four major contenders had been narrowed down. The Prince George was the least likely, as he was considered a Traitor and an exile so in reality there was only three contenders with the forth being left as a sign of respect to the Cadet Branch of Avalon.

August_III_the_Saxon.PNG

Casmir Caetye of the Bohemian Empire was a possible choice. A Warlike and Powerful Monarch, The Bohemian Empire since its rise to power and victory of Sicily had been pushing in every direction except West. Part of such Success was no doubt thanks to Casmir and he spent generously to ensure his name remained a possibility on the lips of the Khitan Regency Council. However there was an issue with the Bohemian Candidate.

ThREcqf.jpg

Casmir's sponsorship of the Russian Monarchy against Persia had put the Empire into a dangerous war against one of the greater powers in the world. A Personal Union over the Khitan would give Casmir much of the Manpower and economic backing he would need to dominate Russia, but this did mean for much of the Khitan nobility, that the Empire to Casmir was only a means to an end far and away from Cathay's interests.

fre.jpg

Prince Antonio Caetye of Italy was also wealthy. The Prince was only second in line of succession of the Italian crown and so Antionio would be expected to represent Khitan interests and not Italian ones. Furthermore Italy was Wealthy and boasted a Colonial Empire in addition to its formidable forces in Europe Proper. However recent tensions with the Italian branch of House Caetye had made Antonio as well a sour pick for many.

tumblr_lu0v62dksk1qcvbmqo10_1280.jpg

The Final Option was General Bernat-Anton William D'Aubigny, the Eldest child of Prince William and Julie D'Aubigny. While by no means the finest of Generals in Europe Bernat had connections to make a comfortable life for himself as a secondary commander within the Empire. The definitive edge Bernat would have was being a Khitan citizen even if he was half french on his mothers side and of course choosing a local noble would upset the monarchies of Italy and Bohemia.

fn3jPs1.png

Ultimately a decision was made and the Local Claimant, Bernat D'Aubigny was chosen on the condition that Diane's esteemed nephew change his surname to reflect that of the House of Caetye with the same condition applying to any of his heirs. The General accepted and was Coronated in Ventralis, Emperor of Cathay, Defender of the Eastern Wind and Protector of the Realm after what would amount to a 2 Year Interregnum in total.

As for why Bernat-Aton was chosen the reasons were muddled. There was a firm argument that as closest male relative of Diane IV after Prince William but that was often the law of Other European Monarchies overall, the Khitan had already remained more Egalitarian and Eastern in Philosophy, choosing the most able candidate regardless of Gender or Age.

The Other Argument was simply that Bernat-Aton would have allowed the Khitan Empire, the Greatest Country in the world to retain its independence rather than be Put into Personal Union with Bohemia, or an unofficial personal union under the Italian Monarchy both countries that would have used the Khitan Army and fleet more for their own benefit than for the Khitan Royal court.

eTt40ew.png

Emperor Bernat Aton not long after his succession found a Bohemia and Italy furious at the result and soon found he needed to find new allies elsewhere in the world. In an Effort to Ease fears and unify the Empire in the face of growing foreign animosity Emperor Bernat married Princess Juliana Karling of Aquitaine a woman very much his opposite to his calm and quiet demeanor. Empress Julianna would be well loved in court and have an able mind for the administration, while The Emperor himself focused on what he knew best, keeping the country safe.

A year after their marriage Crown Prince Alexander would be Born and would grow in a boy very much the child of both of his parents, with talents reaching across all facets of government.

SPPiDST.png

With a new administration at the helm, one of the first major events would be the arrival of Enlightenment thought in full force. Universities to coffee houses buzzed with activity not seen before in the Empire, Industrialization had begun its slow turn forward in the Coal rich core territories of the Empire and the Army was once again in full mode for reforms.​

WkQjM4U.png

The Great Debate of a Cavalry focused military against one with an reliance on infantry had been settled centuries ago. What had now become an even greater issue was new concept of an Army doctrine. For much of its history the Khitan army was largely unprofessional with a core of trained veterans training it in preparation for times of war.
In Cathay in Particular there had been an Emphasis on keeping that core of veterans as large and skilled as humanly possible which has given it a decisive quality edge over other Empires. Growing populations and consolidation however meant that armies continued to expand in size the world over while education and drill techniques were only improving lessening the great gap in army quality between the Empire and everyone else.

GcS5kJX.jpg

The New Philosophy was informally known as the great army expansion. Officially it would come as the Army Recruitment and organization act, which opened up freedom to enlist any able bodied citizen of the lower classes to serve as frontline soldiers and to provide incentive to actually attract such numbers to the army raises were waged, slightly, and considerable investment was put into recruitment offices across the country.

Zb27JlD.png

On the Economic front a major change had weakened the hold of the East India company's hold on the Khitan economic permanently. Bohemian Porcelain had arrived in Europe and had utterly crashed the price of Chinaware, a resource something the Empires of Scandinavia and Cathay had a virtual cartel on. Millions were lost in Chinaware investments as the Price in Europe fell through the floor as smugglers allowed intrepid entrepreneurs to bypass Alexander II's harsh Tariffs and restrictions on foreign imports.

FvxC99B.png

By the time 1720 had arrived, the Discovery of Porcelain and Bernat-aton's Ascendence to the throne had completly changed the dynamic of power in Europe. Smugglers and Economic tension had driven a wedge between the Bohemian and Khitan Empires. Italy meanwhile had taken news of Bernat's crowning with particular offense and laid claim to the entirety of the Alpine Region, including Khitan populations within the area.

Finally Scandinavia, after New Ventralis, one of the 12 Provinces successfully led a campaign into Vinland and Seized land illegally with its local militia. An Act that along with refusals of cooperation in regards to Scandinavia's Asian Colonies had put Scandinavia firmly in bed with Italy and against its longtime ally.

fYG89qt.jpg

In the Meantime Emperor Bernat seized the remains of the Princedom of Toulouse, giving the lands to the crown of Aquitaine and establishing a safe southern Border against the Italian aligned Kingdom of Granada. Due to Italy and Granada's strength the Kingdom of Aquitaine would prove to be an effective buffer state against any potential invasions from the Southern Alpine passes and Pyrenees. Thus any Invasions of Cathay proper would need to come through the Central Alps, or over the Rhine, both regions with far more fortification.

Jc4YnHC.png

Meanwhile The Kingdom of Greece remained the only great power left in Europe proper not set against the Khitan Empire with a Land army of any significant worth. For the First time in History the Greek and Khitan Empires would find themselves pragmatic and cautious allies after almost a millennia of hostility against one another.

3x1eHRe.png

The Alliance would ultimately come at an Ideal time as Tensions and minor border conflicts in America would boil over into what became known as the Channel War between Cathay and Great Britain. In an attempt to avoid a lengthy campaign in America Emperor Bernat approved what would be known as the Lothian Strategy, a Gambit that involved invading the British isles from a friendly base in Ireland.

The Strategy was initially successful as Khitan naval dominance had allowed easy transport to Ireland and a swift landing into scotland thereafter enabling a march down from scotland into the British core territories to force a favorable peace deal.

B5mvljn.png
gSlbgrB.png

The Plan was stunning success as the British Garrison sent to stop General Khalil Uwin was under equipped and completly unprepared for such a move. Creating a series of decisive battles in the Northlands that would leave them in Khitan hands.

Q5N50ef.jpg

BHXYwVL.png

In the South meanwhile General Shahab Quintilius landed on London itself in a pincer movement, something only enabled by the superior sized Khitan Navy. The Resulting Battle of London effectively demolished British War Enthusiasm, allowing the focus to switch away from the Isles and To Bavaria, a British ally who was also a belligerent.

4WaMHnR.png

Bavaria without the British folded like a house of cards ceding the Eastern Rhineland to Cathay as well as agreeing to pay war reparations for their involvement. Though for how long was a stinging question as the Bohemians and Italians were still waiting for their own slice of the German Pie.

bZpGK3J.png

The British Meanwhile agreed to cede over much of their land East of the Mississippi River to the Khitan Empire. However the Twelve colonies who fought to take such lands from the British would soon be informed to protect the native cherokee peoples that any lands west of the Appalachian Mountains were named off Limits under the Indian Harmonization Act. Colonials who fought in the Channel war were understably upset by this act. Back in Cathay however this had been standard practice following the conquests of Yucatan, India and China just on an unofficial level.

America had always been spared this sort of interference however, so at least in the Twelve Provinces it was seen as a new Tyranny rather than an old tradition.

zn5JwaI.png

The new direction of Emperor Bernat-Aton would mean a new view of the Chinese and Eastern practices that had since been absorbed into the Khitan Empire. In an effort to centralize the country and continue Alexander's Reforms, Empress Julianna suggested to borrow notes from the Chinese Bureaucracy and rebuild the lower levels of government with civil tests for important positions.

The result was a stunning success as old rank and file positions were purged and new more talented officials passed the tests with ease and filled their place. The Effects of course that that hopefully this and further talented generations would continue to climb the ladder of government positions and overall improve efficiency across the board.

I36EV10.png

Similar Success however was not being enjoyed Elsewhere. After a costly and devastating war the Empire of Greece declared Bankruptcy defaulting on loans given out by local lenders as well as the Khitan government.

The Blame for most with power in the Empire and Europe was entirely on the liberal Greek Government in place within athens. Considered corrupt and unable to officially rule a country to the same pedigree as a divine monarch it did not take long for Khitan and Bohemian forces join together and march on Athens. The Council of Birds was dissolved and the Monarch empowered to bring the Empire to heel. The Consequences of this action however would echo across the world.

Rather than Accept foreign backed Autocracy the Greeks rose up instead and a call rung out across the Balkans.

"The Phoenix Rises"
"Democracy Soars"
"Down with Traitors!"
"Down With Kings"
"We Will Never Be Slaves Again"

Dz8fNIn.png

Last edited:
First off, totally not Patrick Stewart Bernat-Aton's best stat should've been maxed diplomacy.:p

Second...
The new direction of Emperor Bernat-Aton would mean a new view of the Chinese and Eastern practices that had since been absorbed into the Khitan Empire. In an effort to centralize the country and continue Alexander's Reforms, Empress Julianna suggested to borrow notes from the Chinese Bureaucracy and rebuild the lower levels of government with civil tests for important positions.

The result was a stunning success as old rank and file positions were purged and new more talented officials passed the tests with ease and filled their place. The Effects of course that that hopefully this and further talented generations would continue to climb the ladder of government positions and overall improve efficiency across the board.
The Hohenzollernverse is leaking...:D

The Revolution is Here. Colonies are growing restless, War is Coming

But eventually, a sick pet must be put down. For its own good.:D

Perhaps, But Then I really would be France, and without Aquitaine Europe would Just be Massive blobs with no minors powers outside Portugal and Ireland, cant have that.

Aton? An omen to what is coming?

Yes, the omens are coming thick and fast and do not look good.

Man, you're flying through rulers right now. That's not the best trend...

I'm sure this will all blow over....

Ah man, India is being a disappointment and collapsing now, that's kind of sad.:( At least Cathay can clam-in a bit more of Southern India without Bharat to intervene I guess. Through being descended from the Indian subcontinent myself (I'm not from India in case your wondering), I do want a native country from the subcontient to be strong. At least I still have Persia as a very strong Asian country.:) I'm also rooting for California to be the Great Power of the Americas cause it would be a nice balance of power to have a North American power in addition to Europeans, Africans and Asians. Japan would also be a nice replacement for India too, since they were a colonizer too, through they didn't fully live up to my hopes for them tbh.

Yea Persia is Persia, This is about 3 grand campaigns ive played (2 in Multiplayer) Where Persia got large amounts of development becuase of how rich the region is in CK2. Between the Silk road and generally a sort of Russia esq position where it can expand into more rich lands or eat Steppe or go into india its really powerful, next time around im gonna have to look into either balkanizing the region somewhat or kneecapping it a little to prevent a repeat.

Revolutions huh, well traitors revolutionaries and colonial separatists will never be able to break the will of the great Cathay monarchy (through like I said, the monarchy being replaced by an unstable and maybe repressive republic for Hoi4 in Victoria 2's endgame would make for an interesting game) Through if the REAL reason the Twelve Provinces want a revolution is so that a Hamilton style musical could be made 200 years later because of it, I won't judge, just as long as the monarchy stays in power of course.;)

America has an, interesting result to say the least. The Revolution ends up being also quite interesting.

I find the partition of China to be interesting, through I do wish Britain got their share of China like they were supposed to, since Scandinavia's color is similar to Cathay. But we would have a similar problem to their color being similar to Japan who's also part of the partition so theirs that.

We fix the color issue in Victoria so dont worry too much about that, as for the Underperforming GB yea, They just never really got the fuel this game to get started the AI already has to be forced to colonize properly in Asia the fact that Persia and India beat them to all the best stuff doesn't help. Japan though, Oh Japan has yet to fight.

Its nice to see Greece here, which you don't see often around in AARs, let alone as a great power. I mean, its no Byzantine Empire but it's still something.

I love the balance of power between the Great Powers in this AAR so far too. We got Colonial Empires of Great Britain, Scandinavia, all competing against each other, and they are a nice colonial trio too. We also have an secondary European Trio between Italy, Bohemia and Sicily/Greece always going head to head with each other because of their goals, but also united in their common interest to eat Bavaria and the Balkans.:D Then we have colonial outside Europe that are always a treat, from Persia with Persian Australia to pretty impressive kingdoms in Africa like Tunisia and Mali. I remember hoping that when India formed, they would be a good balancing power to Persia but sadly it looks like they are going to fail to do that it seems. I'm excited to see how the Balance in power in Victoria 2 plays out and how the World Wars will be shaped by it.

It seems that I have an unfortunate experiences with a lot nations that start off great that I root for, only to be disappointed by when they start failing or are mediocre in performance, like Japan and now India, or are underdogs that I hope survive but don't, like the Knights of Santiago.:( Maybe I have unrealistic exceptions for alot of countries I get excited for or and I should be more realistic, but it still makes me sad.:(

I Know its pretty good. Greece wasn't me by the way, That was Sicily being Sicily, All the nation formations were my only meddling fixing Bohemia's PU situation becuase in the Normal conversion, Bohemia Pu's Poland and then Poland just declares war on Bohemia and eats them, which didn't really feel appropriate considering.

Also, The Knights of Santiago live on in Portugal, they are Protestant and the only 'Christians' left in the world. That counts for something!. As for the Greece, Well, I'd say its better than seeing a return of Byzantium, under the name, Byzantium in 1700, when nobody would call it that :p. Still, Both inferior options to me given the choice

The True Heir to Byzantium is the Knights. Remember Kids, Real Knights don't form Jerusalem or Byzantium ;), At worst they Escape to America instead. :p

Last edited:
Bernat-Anton will make a fine Emperor, especially thanks to his talented wife and promising heir.

On a more global front, having three powerful nations out for you was already bad news. Greece kicking off revolutions spells bigger problems though.

Greece is small and weak. Let them rebel. /famouslastwords

I like how Greece, a country whose known for being the cradle of democracy in ancient times, was one of the first countries to switch to democracy in this AAR as well. That's actually really appropriate.:D Through I can imagine this idea of democracy in Greece's past before will lend a lot of cultural legitimacy to the Revolutionary Republic in the eyes of the Greek intellectual population. So I can imagine the republic to be pretty strong due to having an example to follow from their history. Anyhow I'm actually interested in what this Revolutionary Greece can accomplish. Maybe some sort of Greek Napoleonic Wars soon.

Also you have accidentally quoted one of your reposes to my statements about Persia and India in your recent post. You may want to fix it just so its easier to tell which statements are mine and which are yours dragoon.:)

I actually would kind of like to see some sort of democracy in Cathay tbh, with the monarchy in power of course. I mean, I know that the Annionas had some sort of democracy in Austria eventually. But it didn't really have much power and it was still an Absolute Monarchy anyways, and I'd rather have something different than an Abolitionist power-stomp across the world again.

Last edited:
The thing about revolutions is that they revolve.
You protest against tyranny and autocracy
Next you are executing people because they are a threat
Then you are getting executed because you are a threat
And then your juniors end up setting up another autocracy.

Greece is small and weak. Let them rebel. /famouslastwords
Well it is a colonial power that has gone head to head with Italy and Bohemia, two strong nations, and remained intact. So I wouldn't really call it small and weak at all.
The thing about revolutions is that they revolve.
You protest against tyranny and autocracy
Next you are executing people because they are a threat
Then you are getting executed because you are a threat
And then your juniors end up setting up another autocracy.
That is true, through it didn't really occur for the thirteen colonies when they had their revolution in OTL. But then again their goal was to break away from a country, not overturn a government like the French Revolution did. So theirs that.

That is true, through it didn't really occur for the thirteen colonies when they had their revolution in OTL. But then again their goal was to break away from a country, not overturn a government like the French Revolution did. So theirs that.
Yes, I think revolution is really misapplied there. War of Independence is more accurate to my mind. Though it does sit in a greyer area.