• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mingmung

General
35 Badges
Aug 23, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
The current Mazovian flag is not based on anything historical. The real one of the voivoideship was a crown-less eagle:
Mazovia_Ancient.svg
It might be too similar to the Polish flag, It's also the one of the voivodeship, not the duchy. That's why there's a good alternative: The Mazovian flag/coat of arms under Janusz III. This wasn't the first time a dragon-motif was used in the Mazovian coat of arms, Janusz I also used dragons and crownless eagles in his coat of arms.

Coin depicting Janusz III and his brother's coat of arms.
Seal_of_Janusz_and_Stanisław_Princes_of_Mazovia.PNG
The same-ish coat of arms on wikipedia:
1280px-Chorągiew_Mazowsza.svg.png
Green dragons could also be used (personal coat of arms of Janusz I, from Wappenwiki):
Janusz_I_of_Masovia.svg
index.php

The duke in action (courtesy to @Aramenian ).

@neondt

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-25_10-52-2.png
    upload_2018-9-25_10-52-2.png
    207,8 KB · Views: 57
  • upload_2018-9-25_10-52-23.png
    upload_2018-9-25_10-52-23.png
    207,8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Upvote 0
as for the flag you are right, the current flag of Masovia is wrong, it should be replaced
I really hope the devs still have some time to implement feedback (script- and artwise) for the upcoming patch.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway; using personal coat of arms for countries isn't that strange for EU4. The flag for Burgundy and Spain are also based on them, as are other tags (especially French and German minors).

Last edited:
Well, they seem to have created a custom banner for The Kingdom of the Baleares within one day. Let’s hope they can do the same for Masovia/Mazovia.

I still hope the devs will look at it, especially now with an incoming Europe DLC. Seeing how quickly they've made some flags (cough Baleares) when a tag was requested. The eagle doesn't make sense, as it (the eagle, not just the head) was the CoA for the voivodeship, not the duchy itself. The ones I linked make the most sense (with the 2 dragons).

Some more info:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Masovia

Last edited:
Soooooooooo....

Vermont got its own made-up flag within no-time. Can Mazovia's still get changed sometime in the future? The crown-less eagle is not correct; the 2/4 dragon one is the best option.

Soooooooooo....

Vermont got its own made-up flag within no-time. Can Mazovia's still get changed sometime in the future? The crown-less eagle is not correct; the 2/4 dragon one is the best option.

Why use real flags when you can draw some? Don't you know this is a historical sandbox game and should be using flags designed by Paradox... Wait.... :p

@Meka66 Seeing how you guys have made flags and ideas for tags like Vermont, Alaska and Cascadia in notime, is it possible to change the one of Mazovia?

Are you sure you want them to do that? They might just make another fantasy flag at this point.
The current one is actually a fantasy flag for the place. :p

It's relatively easy to mod in and Ironman-compatible as a flag change doesn't affect the checksum.
The current Mazovian flag is not based on anything historical. The real one of the voivoideship was a crown-less eagle:

It might be too similar to the Polish flag, It's also the one of the voivodeship, not the duchy. That's why there's a good alternative: The Mazovian flag/coat of arms under Janusz III. This wasn't the first time a dragon-motif was used in the Mazovian coat of arms, Janusz I also used dragons and crownless eagles in his coat of arms.

Here's an example with the wikipedia image from the OP above - so perhaps green dragons would be best, does it look too similar to Poland here do you think?

mazovia.png

Reactions: