Imperator - Development Diary #15 - 3rd of September 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Next week we’ll be looking into where all roads lead.
CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.JPG

So I guess we can just throw out Tacitus's comment here. I would, of course, appreciate that when you are this dismissive you provide some evidence of your own. The next line of Tacitus says this, which I suppose you would also refute:

Silver too is what they seek more than gold, from no fondness or preference, but because small pieces are more ready in purchasing things cheap and common.​
I happen to have on hand Europe Between The Oceans, which quotes the exact same passage from Tacitus and concludes: "The archaeological evidence neatly supports this, showing that the astute Germans did indeed have a preference for old coinage with a higher silver content that was minted before Nero's coinage reforms of AD 64 introduced a level of debasement."

From memory, I had confused the debasement under Nero with the 3rd-century debasements, and the silver denarius with the later gold solidus.

One Consul.

Why should I buy this game when your Consul decision shows that you all are not building your mechanics to bring history alive, but are just shoehorning history into easy solutions?

Scythed chariots in the Britannic path ?

Scythed chariots were used by the Persian Empire, the Seleucid Empire and the Pontic Kingdom.

The Britons used light chariots, as had the Gauls.

Will there be events for being on Ilkla Moor baht'at?

I always wear a hat.

Scythed chariots in the Britannic path ?

Scythed chariots were used by the Persian Empire, the Seleucid Empire and the Pontic Kingdom.

The Britons used light chariots, as had the Gauls.

As suggested above, scythed chariots are mentioned in various places. Pomponius Mela wrote about them in as late as 40 AD in a British context, and they are mentioned much earlier for the gauls, during Caesar's invasion.

As suggested above, scythed chariots are mentioned in various places. Pomponius Mela wrote about them in as late as 40 AD in a British context, and they are mentioned much earlier for the gauls, during Caesar's invasion.
Various places being two . . .
  • One is a Roman geographer resident in Spain who while a contemporary of the Claudian invasion (100 years after the end of the period covered by this game), there is no evidence that he accompanied the army
  • The other is an Irish epic poem describing events in the first century AD; the earliest three copies of the text date from the 12th Century AD
The scythe was probably introduced to Britain by the Romans, where sickles, which have a shorter blade were in use.
Do an image search for a Seleucid scythed chariot and compare with the Boudica statue above.

The barbarian traditions seems to be very focused on light troops which may put them at a serious disadvantage against heavy enemies. On the other hand light units are cheap and thus you can afford to have more freemen and thus more manpower than the more "civilized" nations.

But will my Ptolemaic Egyptian army have Macedonic Phalanx & Celtic warriors? Like they did historically
The Celtic warriors who served in Ptolemaic armies were Galatians (Gauls who had settled in Asia Minor). They were recruited as mercenaries and probably were better disciplined and better equipped than general Celtic warband 'levies'; sword armed heavy infantry. Present in relatively small numbers, e.g. a few hundred.

@Tisifoni12
That is how they came to Egypt, but they were settled in 'Celtic' colonies, as were the Macedonians, so became multi-generational members of the society. Much more than just hiring some Mercenaries.

Also they there is some modern thought that 'Celt' was a cultural group not a racial one. So that maybe the Galatians of Asia Minor were more locals influenced by Gauls (sure a few settled, again your few hundred) & they joined the Celtic way of life. Which shows the mix Military Traditions (& cultural) in the region.

I see Paradox has stuck with the "one modifier per idea" model from EU

For the Celtic Briton Iron Age chariot look at the reconstructions in the Hull and East Riding Museum and the National Museum of Scotland rather than the Victorian statue in London.

I don’t know if I like how the barbarian group basically applies to all of western Europe outside of Italy and Iberia. I get the sense that Gauls, Germans, and Brittons should be getting separate trees which overlap in some ways but are still distinct. Like, why do the Germans have a chariots starting tradition? I don’t think they ever used chariots, much less had a longstanding tradition of using them.