• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Military Folkmote – May 885 (a summary of advice from Chapter 45)
Military Folkmote – May 885 (a summary of advice from Chapter 45)

With a small but knowledgeable turnout, a small military folkmote was convened in Nygarðr in May, as spring warmed the soil, the raiding fleet made its long voyage back from the West and the peasant rebellion in Chud was continued.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

General Comments
No responces for the latest questions. regarding the laws, most of the factors mentioned are in addition to existing capabilities, but some also mention things that you can no longer do as you drop to a certain level. Check the tribal organization laws for probable examples, though maybe they don't appear until you've upped it some.
Will bear in mind, especially when it gets to the point that I can actually change some again!
All in all a good raid.
Thanks – though the casualties were pretty heavy in the end, but the gold and prestige will be useful. Learned more, too.
Another good episode :)
Thanks!

Unfortunately, only Grimr has responded positively this time.

I was expecting Vsemil to join in as well :/
He’d already dropped a little negative by then (some earlier influences dropping off. And then the Flame was quenched!

“he is also a shy, gluttonous, deceitful, paranoid, heathen Finnish craven, who likes you not.”

At least his coat of arms seem to have 2 sturgeons. I like some smoked sturgeons :D His father was a heathen, but a true man. How could he be known as the cleansing flame if he wasn't?
Yes, the son is not half what the father was. But we’ll work with what we have! My main concern is he could be a Hel worshipper …

If they were to revolt, I could at least summon a tribal army in extremis, as the Romans would say, and await the return of the raiding party. Then settle their hash for good!”

This is what I would do. Wait for the army to return. If something REALLY bad happens while they're away, call the tribal army as a last resort to patch things (and maybe put the tribal army to good use by declaring a few more wars to make the best of the prestige?).
Will do.

Perhaps even take the fight to the rebels before the raiders can return and a new levy summoned. Or at least be ready as an advanced guard.

What is the troop composition of the 2 armies that we have on the field?
The usual mix: mainly light inf and archers, with a small core of heaving inf. The rebels are all LI and archers. So we’d have a bit of a quality edge.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Ch45 Q1: Foreign War Reporting. I have made ‘A war you were not part of ends’ a Priority 1 alert – meaning I should get a pop-up. But it was already Priority 2 and nothing appeared re the Mari victory in the message alerts either. How widely (if at all) is the declaration and conclusion of a foreign war you are not part of reported? Do you have to flag the ruler of the country(ies) involved as characters of interest to get them? I don’t think I’ve been getting any at all so far. Basically, I’d like a pop-up that says “Mari won its war of subjugation against Mordvin”. I’m used to seeing them in other AARs (and realise that by getting them I might be wading through a lot of unwanted war start/end messages but can see what is bearable). Have I ticked the right topic and button (Pri 1)? Do I need to pick the countries I’m interested in and flag their rulers as well? I cycled through all the alerts on the menu and ticked a few others too that I want for AAR (mainly) purposes too.
Unfortunately I haven't touched message settings in a while now, so I can't really help here.
Looks like I’ll just play around with this and see what happens. It’s about 1/3 game awareness, 2/3 for AAR purposes.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Ch45 Q2: Allied Objectives When Not Attached to an Army. The two options presented for allied contingents when they are not ordered to join your army are to either siege enemy counties (the rebels don’t hold one yet, so I presume that would be pointless in current circumstances) or to ‘hunt enemies’. I take it the latter leaves it up to the AI’s discretion as to what they seek to attack. Anyone have experience of how that tends to go? Is the AI smart enough not to attack with clearly inferior numbers? Would they work in tandem with another allied contingent (eg Hrolfr’s if it responds) or just blunder around by itself? I always assume the worst case with the AI unless demonstrated experience indicates otherwise! The answer to the next question may, however, give me a bit of a work-around in this case.
I don't think it will blindly attack and meet certain death, but one can never be too sure about the AI.
As with diskoerekto, I don't see why this wouldn't work. The AI is generally smart enough not to dash its brains out in an obviously unwinnable attack, though they are still sometimes embarrassingly prone to getting "baited" into attacking smaller forces while ignoring the fact that the big army that just marched into the fog one province over can smash their face in -- but then, the AI itself rarely sets traps like that in the first place, so that usually only ever happens by accident. In any case, from what I've seen smaller allied forces will tend to try to "lump" into the largest army within easy reach anyway, to increase their own odds of survival.
Thanks guys, useful info. Though this time (per below) I may be able to avoid the risk. Certainly, in the previous eastern expansion wars, the allied vassal levies did a fairly good job of skirting larger enemy formations to join up with the main body. Though this time I’d be asking them to hunt the enemy.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Ch45 Q3: Calling up Unsummoned Demesne Levy Contingents While Some are Already Deployed. OK, I’ve noticed there were a couple of small demesne levies (the two Godis, mainly) who I didn’t summon for the raid. The relevant button says I could summon about 60 or so troops without the need to dismiss and resummon the main contingents, with the prohibitive losses that would incur. So, am I right in assuming I could do that, then call allied contingents to join that army, so I could centralise and control them more reliably? Without jeopardising things? I’d do a little experiment, but because I’m in Ironman mode I can’t afford to stuff it up, so am asking the Þing instead.
I'm guessing this would work
If the button isn't greyed out in your "Levies" screen, then that means that there are forces that can be called up. (Whether it's safe to do so is a different matter -- if you're not certain, either call up your units individually by province, or Shift-Click / Control-Click (I forget which; thankfully the in-game tooltip should clarify) to call up all units in provinces that don't have any active enemy armies.)
Again, thanks. I’m pretty confident this will work fine and allow me to rally the responding vassals safely. Will be trying it out soon!

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Ch45 Q4: Peasant Revolt Warscore and Strategy. Under usual circumstances for peasant revolts, what kind of warscore would taking Chud give the rebels? Would taking it send it to 100% and mean I lose the county, or would they also (like in other circumstances) need to win a field battle as well to win and force me to yield? This being my first such, I’m not sure how much time I have to gather a riposte. And any views on the initial holding approach (concentrating vassal ally levies around a small demesne levy) would also be welcome. Together, they might even be strong enough to send against a lightly armed peasant levy.
Peasant rebellions still operate under the normal war score mechanics (though I think the "Occupation" tick is a little faster than average, in both directions), so a decent-sized realm like Gardariki can generally afford to sacrifice a province or two if they have to. I'd still encourage mopping them up with all due speed, as nasty things can happen if they're allowed to spread, but in general peasant rebellions are rarely a threat by themselves -- unless you're a small realm with few holdings or really careless about suppressing them, they're only dangerous if the realm's stability is already fundamentally compromised in some way.
OK. I don’t like letting things drift at the best of times, so I’m with you there on sorting these rebel scum out quickly. Because who knows when a fairly strong situation can suddenly turn nasty (for example, now would not be a good time for a succession crisis and then independence war. This isn’t a spoiler: I haven’t played it yet. Just sayin’. ;)

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

All: Thank you for those who voted for this AAR in the last (Q2 2018) ACAs – it was surprising and a little touching and humbling to be grouped there with some great AARs. Your support is always very welcome and helps keep me writing.

Now, off to play the next session, where I will try out rebellion-crushing tactics - the first internal conflict since the game commenced, as none of the vassals have rebelled or needed to be disciplined yet!

No responses to the questions but it does look like the king has his work cut out re the opinion of his vassals. My experience is that if too many hate you they will soon enough band together in rebellion...just saying :eek:

No responses to the questions but it does look like the king has his work cut out re the opinion of his vassals. My experience is that if too many hate you they will soon enough band together in rebellion...just saying :eek:
The possible rebellions could be threat or opportunity ... as long as a rebellion isn’t existential, I can use it to purge and replace with Norse Germanic chiefs and jarls. Then just have to worry about peasant revolts against foreign influences! It seems you can’t fool (or please) all of the people all of the time! ;)

The possible rebellions could be threat or opportunity ... as long as a rebellion isn’t existential, I can use it to purge and replace with Norse Germanic chiefs and jarls. Then just have to worry about peasant revolts against foreign influences! It seems you can’t fool (or please) all of the people all of the time! ;)
This is a good point @Bullfilter! A prime opportunity to use the revolt to your advantage. Mayhap it might be worth pushing them into it then? A calculated insult here and there?

This is a good point @Bullfilter! A prime opportunity to use the revolt to your advantage. Mayhap it might be worth pushing them into it then? A calculated insult here and there?
@diskoerekto is a firm proponent of this method. First I must divide and conquer - isolate the independence faction members. And get rid of these peasant rebels and build my demesne levy. Then maybe appoint one Court Jester and withdraw honorary titles. Hmmm - mwahaha! :D

Chapter 46: A Stake in the Game (2 May – 31 October 885)
Chapter 46: A Stake in the Game (2 May – 31 October 885)

Previously, on Blut und Schlacht Peasant troublemakers do their worst while the raiders are away in the West – vile upstarts and traitors! King Rurik looks for ways to hasten his response - and there will be battle (and blood, of course)!

Author’s Note: I am trying a few new things with the illustrations to freshen up the look and will try to keep things moving along as well as I can. Please let me know if the new stuff strikes you as good, bad or indifferent! Also, I’m going to start shortening the episodes a little to make them more digestible, so the reporting of this playing session will be covered into two more parts, where I will also be introducing a few more new aspects to the AAR. Nothing radical – but the Learning Saga is not just about gameplay, but CK2 narrative style as well. ;)

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

May-June 885

With now two vassal levies answering the call to arms against the rebels in Chud, Rurik instructs Prince-Marshal Helgi to muster the three small demesne levies that were not called up for the raid and to have the regiments from Smaleskja and Vladimir rendezvous with them all in the capital. This would at least consolidate all available forces for when the fleet returned to nearby Ingria. Snorri – a very competent commander - was put in charge of this holding force, despite the fact the new 'political' commander Chief Ladimir of Belo Ozero tried to put himself forward for that honour [ie he was initially auto-assigned – not gonna happen! o_O].

RCoJjx.jpg

Ch46 Note 1: Mustering Ploy. I’ll have to remember this for the future – always leave at least one small demesne levy uncalled, preferably in the capital, to ensure better control and centralisation of vassal levies if the main army is away on a raid or distant campaign.

It seems Ladimir Slovensky was a warlike chap - as long as other people did the actual fighting: Gumarich der Schreiber noted in mid-May that Ladimir had conceived the ambition to build a war chest: for what specific purpose remained unknown to Rurik or Chancellor Hrörekr. Or indeed the Queen’s spy network.

On 12 June, out of the blue, came word that Chief Gradimir of Uglich (the Kinslayer) had inherited the Chiefdom of Tver from his brother and had moved his seat to that county.

“What happened, Hrörekr – another murder?” asked Rurik of his Chancellor.

“I’m not sure, My Liege, let me make inquiries.”

The next day, the Chancellor had his report ready.

“Chief Vladislav died of a fever, My Liege. And now Chief Gradimir has higher expectations to add to his claims – he wants to be Jarl of Tver, as his father had been. And a seat on the council, befitting his new power. I’m afraid these things make him very hostile to your beneficent rule at present.”

Gumarich had added a marginal note: He tactfully glossed over the fact that Gradimir, who apparently preferred the romantic attentions of men, also held Rurik’s emasculated status against him. No accounting for tastes, it seems!

“Does he have any skills to match his ambitions?”

“He is devious and is skilled in the ways of intrigue. Alas, his gross disloyalty would make him a dangerous choice as Spymaster.”

“Indeed it would, Hrörekr! The appointment alone would not be sufficient to sway him to our favour. And if he is willing to kill his own brother to advance himself, what would he do to us!?”

SWTXbW.jpg

While Rurik digested this unpleasant morsel of information, worse news arrived the same day. Having taken the fort in Chud, the rebels now marched on Zaozerye!

PlgepF.jpg

But the King’s spirits were raised within a week. The raiders had just returned to Ingria and had disembarked, bearing a good hoard of treasure. And a welcome influx of troops: they had made it back even before the southern vassal contingents had completed their march to Holmgarðr.

IHcIGi.jpg

New orders were sent to the vassal allies: they would now join Þorsteinn as he made his way to Ladoga – where Snorri was also ordered as an advance guard.

uHBwYC.jpg

By 26 June, Grimr’s regiment had joined Snorri in Holmgarðr and, with the rest of the demesne levies, were all making for Ladoga. Þorsteinn’s main contingent gathered reinforcements and regained organisation on the road. Hrolfr’s men of Vladimir were still well south, making time to rejoin their Chief, so recently returned from the raid.

26kVUE.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

July-August 885

Snorri’s men arrived in Ladoga on 12 July, the raiders marching in four days later. They would hold there until the bulk of the regiments had gathered: Þorsteinn wanted the best odds possible when he struck the impudent Tommo – to thereby minimise Garðarikian casualties. The rebels arrived in Zaozerye on 22 July and – much to the mirth of Rurik’s commanders gathering in Ladoga – suffered an outbreak of disease in their no doubt chaotic and unsanitary (even by the standards of the time) siege camp.

A33CxM.jpg

Helgi was also hard at work, redoubling his recruiting efforts in the capital. While checking on this, he discovered that the kingdom had grown and progressed sufficiently to allow the King to gather a personal retinue. There were three options available to recruit now - others were not yet in reach.

AXBoiW.jpg

“Father, we have the status and the money now to raise a personal standing retinue. There are three options, set out in the document I have just given you.”

“This is wonderful news, Helgi!” The king wanted more time to consider his options. “We probably have enough light troops and archers for now and a real lack of heavy infantry. I would lean towards a regiment of good Norse Housecarls, I think.”

“Of those available, I too think that is the best choice, father. But if we were prepared to wait longer, a force of heavy and light cavalry would give us a real edge, especially out here on the steppe. But that would mean delaying for some time yet – I’m not sure how long.”

“We have the troops to look after things for now, son, so no need to rush. Let us seek advice from the wise of the realm and decide it in the new year.”

Ch46 Q1: Retinue. Well, the recent expansion and advances have brought this option into reach. As Rurik and Helgi discuss above, I’m leaning to Housecarls – the culturally appropriate choice! Apart from advice on choices, the wiki was a little general, but I gather once you raise a retinue, that one can’t be disbanded without losing the cap invested? That is, you can’t spend the gold and cap, raise something for 600, then decide later, ‘hey, I’ll trade it in, add 300 I’ve accrued since and get the cavalry instead’? My assumption is not. Also that they’ll take a long time to get up to strength. But I’ve been wanting those HI, and the combat advantages they get look very good.

Gumarich described a short but illustrative meeting that occurred in Ladoga on 26 July, at the height of a warm summer:

Þorsteinn’s voice rang out over the marshalling yard in Ladoga’s fort. It was the second most powerful county in the kingdom and well provided for:​

“Now, let us join our forces together, Snorri, and we will prepare to take on this rebel scum!”
Snorri shuffled his feet, looked in Þorsteinn’s eyes and flicked his head subtly towards a carved runestone nearby. But made no move to hand over his small force to Þorsteinn’s command.

“Well, what are you waiting for, man?” the overall army commander was perplexed and starting to get frustrated - but wished to avoid a spectacle in front of the assembled men.
There was a whisper from Sverker, standing to his left and back a pace.

“He can’t Þorsteinn. The Toggle.” He too flicked his eyes towards the runestone. “Get a Godi. Say the words.”
Þorsteinn quickly went from frustration to embarrassment. In all the excitement of their return to Ingria and then the quick march off to fight the rebels, he had forgotten they were still an oath-sworn raiding party. By the laws of the Gods and tribes, they could not join forces with other Garðarikian levies until the Sacred Raiding Toggle had been disabled.

[Yes, after clicking around fruitlessly for a few minutes, I finally figured out what was stopping the units merging. Doh!]

“But first, of course, my good Snorri, we must fetch a Godi and perform the mystical rites to formally end our raid,” declaimed Þorsteinn loudly, pretending nothing untoward had happened.

Snorri was suddenly a picture of relief and, soon after the words were said over the runestone, he handed over his small contingent to Þorsteinn’s tender mercies and hurried back to the capital.​

XBtbtr.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

August-October 885

Perhaps Helgi’s work schedule had lowered his resistance to viruses, but records preserved by Gumarich show that he fell ill with what we would now call the 'flu in August 885. A sick son, heir and marshal is no good for king or realm. The king sent his very well qualified [learning 19] Court Physician, none other than Haukr, the Godi of Raivola, to assist Helgi as best he could. But the ailment apparently persisted well into the new year, hampering his efforts somewhat, though he stuck to his tasks.

hnAwcJ.jpg

On 20 August, the army was fully concentrated in Ladoga, including both its vassal contingents, and it set off to confront Tommo’s rebel in Zaozerye. There would be a bloody reckoning!

7th9mF.jpg

While the military situation was under the expert guidance of Þorsteinn, back in Nygarðr, the usual business of politics went on. And it seems the Chancellor’s statecraft had only one focus at this time: the disaffected Miemo, leader of the independence faction, was again influenced, for the third time in recent reckoning.

4fLnnm.jpg

Then, on 1 September – the official beginning of autumn – a cold wind blew ill into Nygarðr from the south: another peasant rebellion had broken out – this time in Vladimir! The opportunists there had taken advantage of their new Chief’s (ie Hrolfr’s) long absence and that of his levy, which was about to engage the rebels in Chud. And this was a substantially larger enemy force. Which included cavalry.

wKPXCe.jpg

The Chancellor was summoned.

“Tell me, Hrörekr, apart from the obvious, what is going on in the realm? First Chud, now Vladimir. Are there any other known hotbeds of peasant agitation?”

“I’m afraid there are, My Liege, despite the calming effect of your ambition for peace and prosperity. Chief Svetozar in Luki also has problems with peasant unrest, I have heard, though not quite to the same extent as in Chud or Vladimir. Ingria remains a little restive and there is some dissent in many other counties, but they are minor by comparison.”

HJx1z3.jpg

“Hmm, perhaps that is one reason Svetozar was reluctant to send his own levy this time. In any case, I’ll not be ‘going native’ with either our state religion or culture, so we’ll just have to put up with that and stamp out uprisings if they occur. Very bothersome, though.”

“It is, My Liege, but at least the timing is reasonable. The raid was almost over and we were not at war when these outbreaks occurred, so we have the time and means to deal with them.”

“Oh, and deal with them we will!”

A glint of his suppressed madness appeared in King Rurik’s eyes at that point. Had either Tommo or the new rebel leader, Setyamka, been able to see it, they would surely have quivered in their boots, wrote Gumarich.

While Setyamka had free rein in Vladimir for some weeks, the same did not apply to the unfortunate Tommo, whose depredations in Zaozerye were brought to a sudden halt by the arrival of a vengeful Þorsteinn. And an even more angry and urgent Hrolfr, who knew this mob of delinquents had to be dispersed before they could commence the long march south to relieve his own small Chiefdom. The Battle of Zaozerye started on 6 September. Within a day, the massive numerical advantage in the centre meant Tommo’s central company was in big trouble. They broke and fled on the 12th, at which point Þorsteinn fell on the enemy's left, with great slaughter. By the 17th all serious resistance was over and the rebels were being harried in the pursuit.

7NxPEl.jpg

Two weeks later, the battle was formally declared a decisive victory for the king’s men. As Þorsteinn sat atop his horse, two warriors appeared ambling down the road with a battered looking man in chains trudging between them.

“Commander, may I present Tommo, Chief Rebel Scum of Chud!” said one warrior with a mock bow – and a sharp wallop of his axe shaft to the back of Tommo’s knees to force him into a kneeling position. “We captured him as he huddled in a wood shed.”

“Ah, very good! So I take it, Tommo, we can agree your foolish rebellion is over?”

A grunt was all Þorsteinn got in return. And in his turn, Tommo got a heavy boot in his back, forcing him face first into the muddy track. And into a large dollop of fresh, steaming horse manure. His circumstances would only get worse: Tommo would not be enjoying his long incarceration.

NPJgiH.jpg

Straight away, the long march south to confront the next nest of insurrectionists began. Hrolfr could barely contain himself and chafed at the long days it would take. In mid-October, word came back that the small garrison in Vladimir (only 279 men) would not be able to hold out much longer. It would fall before any relieving force could arrive. Hrolfr was not a happy man.

Vladimir fell on 20 October, with the Garðarikian army still only in Belo Ozero. And now without its tribal vassal allies, who had hived off after the end of the war against Tommo and now had to be recalled. Of course Grimr was called – and would undoubtedly again come. The Vladimir levy had not dispersed and was following from Zaozerye [my assumption here is that, with Vladimir occupied, they remained in the field with no home to return to]. Svetozar might respond but was not asked as yet. None of the others would come. Any call for Hrolfr’s levy was reserved. [I wasn’t sure what would happen if I summoned them, so held off for a bit. It wasn’t a situation I’d experienced or read about before. The next chapter will describe what eventually happened when they were finally called.] Given the numbers, and even assuming more would reinforce during the march south, Grimr’s contingent at a minimum would be required to ensure there were sufficient numbers to take on the large rebel army.

Tr4gws.jpg

The next day, one Þorfinn af Ath Cliath turned up unannounced at the court in Nygarðr, "seeking fame and fortune with the mighty Rurik, the dreaded Viking war leader". He was a huge man, an expert soldier [brawny, 22 martial plus a couple of battlefield specialities], brave and with a high opinion of Rurik – but also cruel, wroth and insane. And, at 48 years old, no spring chicken, either. Given the abundance of excellent commanders at that time – and some lingering fears he could be a Hel worshipper – he was bid welcome but not immediately assigned any duties. [We may meet him in more detail later, especially if another reshuffle of commanders is undertaken.]

Of course, Grimr responded positively to the latest call to arms and his levy was again directed to join Þorsteinn, who was still passing through Belo Ozero. Reports indicated Setyamka was now advancing on Pereyslavl Zalessky and would be there in early December, his force particularly heavy in light cavalry and archers. They also reported some interesting information from beyond the kingdom’s borders: the forces of Konugarðr and Mari were gathering. And the Marian host was huge – almost nine thousand strong. Helgi (still not over his nasty bout of 'flu) wondered aloud whether it might have been boosted by a tribal or religious host or two. And if Mari could muster forces that large without such, they would be a difficult foe to confront.

jdgdML.jpg

Rurik sent a message to Hrörekr: Please find out what is going on between Dyre of Konugarðr and Mari. They are our two largest and most important neighbours – what goes on between them may affect us. It would be some time before a detailed report arrived, but apparently Dyre had declared a holy war on Mari – and not for the first time. This made Rurik even more curious: why hadn’t he heard about this holy war before? And how is it that he could declare one?

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Note and Question

Ch46 Note 1: Mustering Ploy. I’ll have to remember this for the future – always leave at least one small demesne levy uncalled, preferably in the capital, to ensure better control and centralisation of vassal levies if the main army is away on a raid or distant campaign.

Ch46 Q1: Retinue. Well, the recent expansion and advances have brought this option into reach. As Rurik and Helgi discuss above, I’m leaning to Housecarls – the culturally appropriate choice! Apart from advice on choices, the wiki was a little general, but I gather once you raise a retinue, that one can’t be disbanded without losing the cap invested? That is, you can’t spend the gold and cap, raise something for 600, then decide later, ‘hey, I’ll trade it in, add 300 I’ve accrued since and get the cavalry instead’? My assumption is not. Also that they’ll take a long time to get up to strength. But I’ve been wanting those HI, and the combat advantages they get look very good.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Author’s Postscript: So, re the slightly updated style for the illustrations, I hereby acknowledge the influence of @Eurasia re the use of little speech bubbles, especially when something strange or a little humorous happens! And @Asantahene too, a master of the amusing quip caption for screenshots. Imitation and flattery, etc. I hope you all enjoy the refreshed style and shorter chapter format – but if not, let me know!

In terms of gameplay, as mentioned at the start this session went on a while longer, with the second peasant campaign and then issues of politics, factions, intrigue and possible marriage arrangements starting to arise. But, while I could have squeezed that second peasant campaign in, I thought this chapter was already long enough and the initial lead-up to the second peasant war seemed a good place to end it. The coming events will spawn a range of questions for the Þing: this phase was perhaps a little simpler, so not as many specific questions arising, though the retinue one is important. But, as always, any general comments, unsolicited advice on things you see or narrative discussion is also very welcome.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁ ᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

oRMPhW.jpg

Dealing with peasant revolts. Tommo staked all and lost. He chose … poorly! Rurik is known as ‘the Just’: justice must be done, done quickly and be seen to be done. “Next!”

But Tommo would be spared (for now) and imprisoned. Hmmm, when is the next Blot due again? :eek:

Last edited:
One revolt down, one to go -- and while it might appear a little more challenging, surely Gardariki arms shall triumph over listless peasant rabble once again.

@diskoerekto is a firm proponent of this method. First I must divide and conquer - isolate the independence faction members. And get rid of these peasant rebels and build my demesne levy. Then maybe appoint one Court Jester and withdraw honorary titles. Hmmm - mwahaha! :D

Already contemplating his first deliberately-provoked vassal revolt... They grow up so fast :)

“He can’t Þorsteinn. The Toggle.”

Sacred Raiding Toggle antics are always good for a laugh :p

[my assumption here is that, with Vladimir occupied, they remained in the field with no home to return to]

This is correct. If a regiment's home province is occupied by enemy troops, or its home holding is captured, those will reduce the number of men able to return home just like if you disbanded them outside your territory. (In some cases, it can actually be worse.)

Housecarls are a sound choice -- being the Norse cultural retinue, they synergize well with the unique "Berserker Charge" battle tactic.

Again, your instincts are correct. Especially at this stage in the game, when a high income is somewhat difficult to come by regularly and reliably, you want to treat each Retinue regiment as an investment. (Also keep in mind that when you build one, it starts out "empty" and takes time to reinforce.)

EDIT: Also want to add that I'm enjoying the new formatting style :)

I’ll save the discussion on retinues for the short Military Folkmote that will follow, but thought I’d leap in with some responses to the other points:
One revolt down, one to go -- and while it might appear a little more challenging, surely Gardariki arms shall triumph over listless peasant rabble once again.
No spoiler - but let’s just say the next battle is a little more exciting. And harder to bring about quickly than I thought it would be! ;)
Already contemplating his first deliberately-provoked vassal revolt... They grow up so fast :)
It’s all that encouragement along the way. :cool:
Sacred Raiding Toggle antics are always good for a laugh :p
Indeed - even when it is at one’s own expense. :D
This is correct. If a regiment's home province is occupied by enemy troops, or its home holding is captured, those will reduce the number of men able to return home just like if you disbanded them outside your territory. (In some cases, it can actually be worse.)
Thanks for confirming - also the loss of troops - I’ll see if I can work out what the loss may have been from the screenshots.
Funny you should mention that ... a scene has already been written up about that in the next chapter (but I’ll wait a couple of days for comments on this episode before polishing it up and publishing).
EDIT: Also want to add that I'm enjoying the new formatting style :)
Glad to hear it. :)

Writing on my phone, so a little bit difficult. I’ll write less than normal (maybe that’s a welcome change for you all, I’m not sure :) ) as a cause of this. I can’t complain though, I’m on an awesome beach vacationing and the new episodes only add to the joy.

About the question, no you can’t trade them in for the upgraded model as far as I know. On the other hand, I think the HI is much better value for money. For the best battle events involving HC, it should be at least 10% of the wing it is on (and preferably much more). That 50HC 200LC brigade is too diluted for my taste, even if that was cheaper I’d probably go for the HI, and when I have more gold and cap maybe another one of HI. Are there other choices of HC that’s not as diluted?

Re: the new style, I like it. I also liked how it was but I guess I like this better :)

About the holy war, I was once subject to one when I was really weak. I thought it was game over. Then I converted to the attackers religion and the war just disappeared. After a while when my army was stronger than theirs I became tengri again, and screwed them. I hope the AI is not that sly.

Love the new style though about half of the images haven’t loaded for me for some reason :( many thanks to for the caption nod-much appreciated :)

Re the retinue deffo get the HI 1st. Will take you ages to be in a position to get cavalry and professionals are mint warriors.

Author’s Postscript: So, re the slightly updated style for the illustrations, I hereby acknowledge the influence of @Eurasia re the use of little speech bubbles, especially when something strange or a little humorous happens!

I approve of this. But I feel something is still missing....oh yes.

That's BETTER!

I approve of this. But I feel something is still missing....oh yes.

That's BETTER!
Haha! :D Though I feel that would be cultural appropriation from the Road of Queens!

I like the little pictures, especially how you used actual historical illustrations instead of the 'Viking Metal Album Cover' style favored by some.
Thank you. I prefer an approximation/vibe of reasonable authenticity than the death metal approach - though for those that want that, each to their own. :) Live and let die, and all! :D

Writing on my phone, so a little bit difficult. I’ll write less than normal (maybe that’s a welcome change for you all, I’m not sure :) ) as a cause of this. I can’t complain though, I’m on an awesome beach vacationing and the new episodes only add to the joy.

Re: the new style, I like it. I also liked how it was but I guess I like this better :)

About the holy war, I was once subject to one when I was really weak. I thought it was game over. Then I converted to the attackers religion and the war just disappeared. After a while when my army was stronger than theirs I became tengri again, and screwed them. I hope the AI is not that sly.
Hope the holiday continues to be relaxing! Just supposedly into spring here, but still had a -6c night a couple of days ago! It’ll warm up soon, then it will be maxs of 37+ :oops:

Will collate the retinue discussion at the ‘folkmote’, but glad you like the style tweak. The essence remains the same, and in part the shorter (not short, mind you) episodes are so I can keep the frequency up. The next episode will reveal the story behind the holy war - and it is interesting and somewhat momentous for Gardariki in the longer term.
Love the new style though about half of the images haven’t loaded for me for some reason :( many thanks to for the caption nod-much appreciated :)
The images will be one of those random ‘failures to communicate’ between server and host which should mysteriously right itself when they decide to like each other again! :confused: Kind of like 14 year olds at school (not deprecating them, if any happen to be reading, but it’s just like that). :rolleyes:

Glad you like the style - I really love your image captions, so the shout out is well deserved. :) Also hope the Mancusian festivities are going/did go well! :cool:

Last edited:
Also hope the Mancusian festivities are going/did go well!
hahaha I believe you've just made up a new word (it's Mancunian :D). But yes Manchester Pride was awesome as always and holds a special place in my heart seeing as its when I met my husband 6 years ago :)

hahaha I believe you've just made up a new word (it's Mancunian :D). But yes Manchester Pride was awesome as always and holds a special place in my heart seeing as its when I met my husband 6 years ago :)

There can never be enough words to describe people from Manchester.

Pride was good this year, wasn't it? Although this year the vigil was harder than usual for our group of friends, there were encouraging things too (aside from the usual uplifting stuff y'know). More Asexual banners and people around than last year which was a nice suprise.

Speaking of cautious feelings of hope ahead, anyone seen the CKII diary for the Holy Fury DLC? Randomised worlds and everything in them! Religious customisation! Potentially completely breaking the contents of the CKII map when applied to a mega campaign!

How exciting!

Haha I was close at least ;):D:oops:. I knew it was something along those lines.
There can never be enough words to describe people from Manchester.!
And it was polite, too!
Pride was good this year, wasn't it? Although this year the vigil was harder than usual for our group of friends, there were encouraging things too (aside from the usual uplifting stuff y'know). More Asexual banners and people around than last year which was a nice suprise.

Speaking of cautious feelings of hope ahead, anyone seen the CKII diary for the Holy Fury DLC? Randomised worlds and everything in them! Religious customisation! Potentially completely breaking the contents of the CKII map when applied to a mega campaign!

How exciting!
All agreed!

Ooh nice to hear that you were there TBC. Yes it was great and how nice thatbthe horrible autumnal weather didn’t put a dampener on it all. Vigil very moving as always and how nice to see the solidarity for our trans brethren too.

Read through an update
Laughed at the Toggle
Was reminded of own past difficulties in that regard. :D