• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's been more than three days and still no sign of the next chapter
Hey, Dragoon probably has real life stuff, like the rest of us. He'll update when he's ready. Just give him time.

Chapter 21: Bled Dry
Chapter 21: Bled Dry
s800

The War for the mandate had now entered its most crucial point. General Marzuban had retaken Canton province but the Chinese army was once again marching south with full force. Time and again the Chinese had underestimated Marzuban's will and it had cost them twice, there would be no third great mistake.

msWnuVc.png

The second phase of the war had been fought with mainly locally recruited mercenaries, given roughly a months training and then armed and sent to China. While this was effective in bleeding the chinese even mercenaries and local colonial militias had a limit and so once again the Imperial Army all the stronger from its experiences in the opening chapters of the war were ready to deploy and reinforce the asian theatre. The Finest troops in the Empire, Trained for years and confident in their ability to finally put the dragon down were finally ready.

After a series of skirmishes and brief sieges outside Canton Province Imperial reinforcements arrived, enmasse, with modern training and a crucial replenishment of cannons and ammunition prepared for yet another long campaign but this was not Marzuban sole plan, a force of Fifty Thousand elite regiments was also enroute with a different goal in mind.​

a7ppUNL.jpg

Just west of Macau came the Chinese Response, The entire 150 Thousand strong Chinese army crashed down into the province to run off General Marzuban. However this time they were not prepared for Marzuban to stand and fight rather than perform a fighting retreat as he had previously in the North.

russian_artillery_at_borodino.jpg

For nearly a week the Imperial army stood firm taking massive casualties and dealing them in turn. Marzuban's plan had been adapted after years of long and hard warfare. The Chinese weakness was in its artillery. Ever since its inception as a modern army the Chinese always favored speed, and so went with smaller artillery pieces or had forgone them entirely to quickly move around the vast land area of the country and defeat local warlords, rebels or barbarian invaders. This left them open in field battles where thier only options were to use Cavalry or infantry tactics without indirect fire support.

This had been the strategy for the majority of the war, and the Chinese leadership remained entrenched on an infantry first doctrine despite years of bloody victories against the Khitan. The common consensus remained that once the war was over, China could rebuild her fleet and run the Invaders from her shores thus removing the need for enhanced artillery tactics. Generals on the ground however were unhappy with this doctrine but due to a lack of facilities to order artillery from, had to rely on captured or bought european designs.

This was why General Marzuban continued to value his artillery above all else in each engagement, alongside training it was a crucial edge that won him battles against a numerically superior foe. Now, fully arrayed with a fresh frontline straight from the homeland the Chinese military was being pounded by Khitan artillery and flanked by Cavalry on what was expected to be a flat, infantry filled battlefield.

xnF0ACZ.png

The Battle would be a bloody victory on both sides, but the Chinese fared far worse. This time they had brought artillery but no cavalry, and the guns that made it afield were woefully out of date. Despite having Twice Marzuban's number the Chinese were utterly humbled taking brutal casualties and sending the entire Chinese army into chaos.

TcrSFDB.png

This allowed for a string of smaller encirclements allowing for several smaller fragments of the greater Chinese army to be captured or dispersed with further guns and supplies captured wholesale. buying General Marzuban months to siege the south Chinese region once again.

jyUSERH.png

The Final attempt by the Chinese to mount a concentrated counter attack would come at Waichow where the Chinese hoped thier superior numbers could once again provide victory after wearing down the Cathayan army. What the chinese did not anticipate was the arrival of Swedish reinforcements from Europe, allowing Marzuban addition manpower in which to send the Chinese back north yet again​

BCe9inS.png

Meanwhile the Japanese front this entire time had unfortunately only amounted to a sideshow. Disappointed with a lack of results in China the Japanese grew increasingly impatient and ultimately signing a peace with honor with the Chinese Emperor. What the Japanese were unaware of war General Marzuban plan for finally finishing the war. Seeing the Japanese back out would do little to derail the plan as the Chinese, now expecting thier northern fronts to be safe would be caught completly off guard by what was to come.

ZEuUlsT.png

Sailing into the Bohai bay, Imperial Marines marched north for the Imperial capital. Left unguarded after years of war in the south all that stood in the way of Khitan forces was the Imperial Palace itself recently finished. The Marines marched on the capital in record time, quickly setting up a siege and barrage until they had taken the city, a war winning prize on its own that also came with members of the Imperial Harem and several of the Emperor's sons and daughters and members of court. All the prisoners were brought back to the Imperial navy while the capital city was sacked and put to torch, Brutality not seen since the days of the Mongols.

Left with Little Option Ziahou II finally agreed to peace terms, and they would be harsh. Several lands in southern China would be ceded over to the Cathayan East India Company as well as a return to Japan's territorial integrity. The largest of all would be the acknowledgement of Diane's claims to Dominion over the North Khitan peoples, and her right to rule as an Empress, and the passing of that right to Isabella and now the Crown Prince.​

0w5gAyO.jpg

Exhausted from war and his legitimacy and prestige already forever tarnished Zaihou II agreed. Peace had finally come after a million combatants had died, and millions more civilians in china proper. The Highest military losses yet seen in the world over a small stretch of chinese coastline and a title.​

3GQcYcm.png

Meanwhile in Europe a new innovation had occured. In response to the growing force of absolutism, smaller nations such as the Kingdom of Bavaria were embracing an entirely different philosophy of government, one based on checks and balances within the government to ensure no one part of the state grew to a point where it would only work towards its own ends and not those of the country as a whole. Needlessly complex and thought to be inefficient the Great Powers that be of Europe saw this as nothing more than a curiosity that would die away quickly in such nations.

HwtEhFy.png

With Victory in the east King Regent Doumerage Karling now had to set about the work of the aftermath. The Conquest of Canton Province was legitimized but the Chinese people were not the disorganized peoples of america and africa, nor were they European and could be governed by methods established in western half of the old world. Instead the Prince regent set about establishing a new legitimacy for Cathay's eastern territories, challenging the Ming Emperor's mandate of heaven while Westernizing the Chinese bureaucracy where possible. After all, Half a million had just been lost seizing Chinese Trade Ports, it was not about to be lost due to a peasant revolt.

syywbAC.png

To this end the existing Chinese structures of government were adapted where possible rather than destroyed. Large incentives were awarded to collaborators, and the East India company set about a massive effort to ensure its investments in Southern China remained safe and secure through various means many of them unscrupulous.

5WR36S1.png

It was in this Transition Period that Alexander Ashoka Caetye ascended to the Throne following the death of his Father, Prince Regent Doumerage Karling. Raised amidst the largest war in the history of the World Ashoka's promise to his people would not be further conquest, but to build an Empire that could last the test of time.

7BEOd78.png

All the While the consequences brought by his forebears would set another aflame.

Sorry about the Delay, I moved cross country in the last week, Had an update planned before, but life intervened so its here now. Though I;ve been working on a little side AAR that will make up for lost time that I plan to release very soon.

Okay, that makes sense. But what about the description then? It does mention those territories "rejoining" the HRE. Or is that just an oversight as well?

Think Client states like occitania was. Members of the Holy Roman Empire, but seperate Kingdoms as well. Whereas Bohemia and Italy were merged with the central government.

Speaking of which maybe after this mega campaign you could do a mega campaign starting at Imperator Rome and take out Rome with a major nation Rome historically conquered like : Boi,Carthage,Etruria or Macedonia or play as Rome itself and blob like mad but have a few problems that would undermine the empire in the end. You start the campaign and consolidate your power in your region and then you do some different stuff if you're Boi you have to unify the Gallic tribes under your banner before conquering anything else, for Macedonia you have to get all of Alexander's empire back under the fold before going after anything else, for Rome you have to conquer all the territory in their real life peak before conquering anything else and for Carthage you have to deal with Rome before going anywhere else (because we know what happened in real life) and the goals should be having an empire that spans from Ireland to the Indus valley, Have your capital be a metropolis by the end of the game by having the most pops and the best buildings you can put on it that suits its purpose,(if you don't start as one) Become a monarchy and stay one and be the dominant power on the Silk road. Some rules would be: console commands to keep the A.I sensible, keep some corruption around for role playing purposes, Balkanization when converting to CK2 with the WTWSMS mod (obviously) and the CK2 section you must abandon your old Pagan faith and adopt a monotheistic faith your choices are: Chalcedonian Christianity or something it branches off into and should have Orthodox mechanics as well as 10% cheaper stability and +1 tolerance of the true faith in EU4, Sol Invictus which would use the Holy fury astrology mechanic in CK2 and In EU4 the Hinduism mechanic but instead of patron gods it's called a horoscope but it fills the same niche as well as 10% more fort defense and tolerance of the true faith, The Mirathic cult which give extra diplomacy in CK2 and in EU4 can spread the faith through trade like Islam and it uses the pre-COC expansion piety mechanic as well as 10% extra trade power and 10% more navy morale, The worm cult which would be a reference Annionaverse and it would condemn sun worship as they believe that the sun imprisons the worm and it should promote Alchemy because of an apocalypse myth that predicts that the world would be purged in fire which they must prepare for because it states that the faithful would go to mars in exile and recolonize Earth as Immortals destined to rule the heavens and purge the unworthy non-human sentients (basically the Stellaris portion of the Anniona mega-campaign) so not only should they get +1 learning but members of the hermetic society should get +30 opinion with the worm cult as well as having the worm emperor as a secular religious head and unique events in EU4 but if you do pick Sol Invictus you can always have them as the satanists for every religion and remove the hermetic society as they should be able to get the Hermetic events (as well as no human sacrifice or human sacrifice missions which would be replaced by the assassination of people who follow Sol Invictus) and in EU4 they get 15% more research speed and 10% missionary strength and a Holy Empire government type which is locked at emperor and the ruler is a God-Emperor or God-Emperess and Maybe you should have the surviving half of the Empire being the western half and have some Khitan clans migrate into the Eastern half and one Khitan Mercenary is curbing the last bits of the Eastern half and there's one enclave of your eastern empire hanging on like an Egyptian governor of your culture group declaring himself pharaoh of Egypt as well as the Angles,Jutes and Saxons are migrating into Britain while King Arthur fills the Power vacuum you left by abandoning Britain as well as a Civil war being fought between the ruling dynasty from the end of IR and the Karlings (as an excuse to put Kill all the Karlings on your to-do list again) on who rules the empire then the Aztecs invade soon after you reunite your empire and in EU4 after imploding instead of colonialism you have to conquer your stuff back and assert dominance over the other great powers and in Vic2 you just have to hold a decentralized empire together then in HOI4 you have to deal with nationalism from foreign culture within your domain either holding on to the empire of old or reforming into a federation that can weather a cold war and 21st tensions where you can reform by 2050 and go into stellaris with the primitive players mod with the world as your oyster and the galaxy ripe for the picking.

I generally dont plot that far out ahead, I tend to find that makes thing a bit more boring when I know whats going to happen. Take Stellaris for example, I've done it about 4 seperate times, and thanks to Utopia and a few incredible mods its been different every time. One Run had me forming a federation only for Space Fascists to take over and start purging all the xenos unfortunate enough to immigrate into the empire. Then there was that time we all turned into robots..

That's all well and good, but Imperator ends centuries before the start of WTWSMS.

Other than that, some parts of it seem interesting, but other parts seem a bit railroaded. I'm also a bit confused about the bit about the Worm cult; obviously it's a nice reference to the Annionaverse, but how would these people know about the Worm or the exile to Mars?

One last thing; there doesn't need to be an "excuse" to kill all the Karlings, that should simply come naturally.

The default state of Karling is death, It is our duty as paradoxians to always ensure they return to such a state

Worm shenanigans, obviously. They will know, they always have known.:p

Edit: Not trying to complain, but why do I keep finding references to the Annionaverse in random AARs I'm subscribed to? Is there something in that megacampaign that gives it a bigger appeal than most megacampaigns (mine included)? Is the worm sending me a message?

I mean I won several brownie points awards, so maybe but so have lots of mega campaigns (including yours) :p I think the only AAR people like to reference by name is Cook's Crown Atomic, for obvious reasons. everyone else gets a scavenger hunt :p

I know it sounds a bit railroaded on paper but corruption isn't a hard thing to have on some or most of the characters by the end of the game that and having some disloyal generals would be easy for Dragoon to pull of whilst blobbing all over and he doesn't have to follow this to the letter he could have a few tricks up his sleeve and for the east falling to the Khitan would be a reference to this mega campaign but he could have the west fall instead it's up to him and I know Imperator Rome ends before WTWSMS starts but he could do what he did with the Annionaverse with the transition from HOI4 to Stellaris by making an Epilogue for Imperator following the Empire to it's conversion and a prologue to WTWSMS with the Division of the empire and the Khitan migrations because it would be cool to have the Eastern half of the Empire centered in Babylon fall to Khitan invaders and no Islam but Instead a Faith similar to Islam based in West Africa

Oh I will certainly do a megacampaign with Imperator. Its too juicy to pass up. Hell i've been waiting to do one with WTWSMS for a while now as well but ive been waiting on the mods ability to allow modern recognizable cultures to form out of it. I imagine its really hard for alot of people coming into this AAR to figure out whats going on what with Cathay being in France. Thankfully Bohemia, Italy and Scandinavia are recognizable names for other powers in europe so that probably helps.

There goes Ming...

I hope your move went well.:)

No worries for the delay. I hope the move went well.

The blood price has been high indeed.

Looks like Ming is gonna need another slice of humble pie...

I really want to do a mega campaign as the Ostrogoths in wtwsms but I'm waiting on someone to make a submod where you can dismantle the default wtwsms de-jure and put vanilla dejure in it's place

I generally dont plot that far out ahead, I tend to find that makes thing a bit more boring when I know whats going to happen. Take Stellaris for example, I've done it about 4 seperate times, and thanks to Utopia and a few incredible mods its been different every time. One Run had me forming a federation only for Space Fascists to take over and start purging all the xenos unfortunate enough to immigrate into the empire. Then there was that time we all turned into robots..

Oh I will certainly do a megacampaign with Imperator. Its too juicy to pass up. Hell i've been waiting to do one with WTWSMS for a while now as well but ive been waiting on the mods ability to allow modern recognizable cultures to form out of it. I imagine its really hard for alot of people coming into this AAR to figure out whats going on what with Cathay being in France. Thankfully Bohemia, Italy and Scandinavia are recognizable names for other powers in europe so that probably helps.

I see but sometimes it does benefit to think ahead even if it's a little bit and also I do have plans to make a discord for the Hohenzollern and Anniona verses soon,
But maybe there could be a poll or something like that?

Chapter 22: Contemplation of the Sky
Chapter 22: Contemplation of the Sky
64825a608d94411188da140a9ae0c933.jpeg

Alexander's 'Ahsoka' Caetye's first acts as the new King Emperor of Cathay were a set of laws mainly focused on the reconstruction of the military and infrastructure the Empire after the costly chinese campaign of his mother isabella and his father the Prince Consort. News of the Ming Empire's defeat spread far and wide over the world but ultimately Alexander had seen through much of the glamour and saw a massive undertaking the country could not under any capacity achieve without moving the centers of powers to China itself.

This of course did very little for the situation as Emperor Zaihou II had taken ill during campaign in Western China and now had died of illness, leaving his Son now Emperor Zhousi Zhu in charge of Nation wracked with the greatest crisis that had arisen since the Mongol Invasions. Worse still Zhousi had no major achievements to his name and was widely considered a laughing stock by Zaihou's Generals, and eventually put to useless assignment in the Northern territories to avoid a repeat of his several humiliating defeats at the hands of Emyrs Marzuban.

Of course under Zhousi's watch his understaffed guard in the North could do nothing to save Beijing for a Sack and so the Young Chinese Emperor now had a restless court, unrest in the outer territories and Power Hungry European Traders rubbing their hands in hopes of opportunity.

f1AOsoG.png

The Chinese of the new Occupied territories around what would be Known as Hong Kong meanwhile had hoped for the continuation of Prince Regent Doumerage's policies, proposing that confucian bureaucracy and principles be brought to Europe and thus the Khitan Court. Emperor Alexander responded with a swift, and firm denial. To Alexander the Chinese Colonies were just that, Colonies and they would remain such, Despite large populations the Collaborationist government was silently phased out in favor of the East India Company and local landowners and nobility.​

3yzOdA8.png

Alexander's stance on the new conquests was felt everywhere even at court where his Father's plans for a local marriage to a Chinese noblewoman from Taiwan was adapted to one of Alexander's cousins while the Emperor himself married Beatrice of Westminster, a natural born daughter of King Edward II of the United Kingdom. Their firstborn daughter, Diane would be born a year and a half after their marriage and would be named Heir.​

9iBJkfU.png

Emrys Marzuban, Hero of the Great Conquest was a similar casualty. A Man respected throughout the east and by military leaders across the globe recieved no true acknowledgement from Emperor Alexander. Assigned to remain in China after his successful Campaign, The Great General died with his men, given a funeral befitting of his rank, and he drifted into memory and record. The Man who broke a Civilization would be remembered by his legend and not by Royals he served.​

fECxO8i.jpg

The Ming dynasty meanwhile was a wounded beast. With the army in shambles and an Emperor completly unprepared for the coming storm, the Manchu people of the North invaded in force, meanwhile Hui Linghu a General under Zhousi had led a successful revolt in Suzhou allowing the nobility and peasantry of the region to flock to his promises of reform and a new Dynasty, under himself. The Son of Heaven however was not about to let an upstart general be his doom and rallied what remained of the army North to defeat the usurper and run off the Northern Barbarians.​

Ki9bOyV.png

Like so many times against the Europeans Zhousi was utterly humiliated on the field and Hui had been allowed to March North into Beijing after a decisive victory, however The Manchu had arrived first, with their superior cavalry they surrounded General Hui and his weakened force, annihilating it wholesale and setting the Great Chinese capital aflame for the second time. The Dragon was bleeding but it was not yet dead, Zhousi still lived at least for the moment but soon he would land in unlikely as it was, British Custody, after trying to enlist the help of Europeans ironically enough in retaking Bejing.​

HE2ygDe.png

The British, Knew an opportunity when they saw one, Despite close relations with the Khitan in recent years they were not about to risk Cathay helping itself to the whole of China in the chaos. Zhousi was bartered with and traded for the next three years of his life like a perfumed slave until finally privateers unknowingly sank an Indian Galleon that was to deliver Zhousi to the Subcontinent from British South Africa. With the loss of the Ship the Chinese Imperial dynasty was now headless, the Chaos within the country grew worse and ultimately Local Warlords took matters into their own hands, declaring themselves the rightful rulers of all of China and raising personal armies to fight not only the Manchu but other foreign invaders.
In this Alexander had an opportunity, with the Legitimacy granted by Zaihou II he could press his own claim to the Chinese Mandate and force unification under the Khitan. Alexander however was utterly disinterested and ultimately forbade speaking of the possibility in course and struck Emperor of China to be used in his list of formal titles at court, though for foreign visits it remained.

Bb5n1iU.png

This last act however had been the breaking point, Chinese people had grown increasingly resentful under Al, To them the Mandate had been not only stolen but set on fire by an ungrateful European Prince and a general revolt in the territories soon followed. Alexander responded as most expected, harshly, cracking down on the region with more army deployments while also putting the navy to good use in other colonial endeavours in the region. Though Intellectuals would note that perhaps harsh Alexander had unwittingly avoided the mistake of many prospective conquerors of China in the past arguably the same mistake his own descendents had made when conquering Europe. This time the Conqueror would not assimilate into the Local culture as had become so common in Chinese history, Khitan Holdings would remain Holdings only, Colonies detached and unimportant in the eyes of the Monarchy for anything besides their economic contributions to the greater whole.

rpZEyhE.png

Further south the Conquest of Hong Kong had incited a rush for colonies in East Asia. The British who made much of their profit off the spice Islands soon found their share being tampered with by the Indian Empire who rather than compete with the Europeans merely seized the land. This prompted a response from Alexander who also demand the East India company expand his own colonial holdings in the region.

The Persians who already held colonial holdings within the region also expanded and soon the Spice trade which had been dominated by just the English and Khitan was muddied by the very powers that forced the original exploration around the cape in the first place. Needless to say, European Traders were furious at this change of events.​

dsSeesm.jpg

In Eastern Europe major events were also underway. Kievan Rus had utterly collapsed to Pressure from the Persian and Bohemian Empires and had now become a Carcass for both expansionist powers to prey Upon. Meanwhile The Georgian Empire, hardly an Empire in terms of prestige but ultimately an important buffer state, consolidated its hold over the Crimean Coastline separating Greece from the Titanic Persian Empire while the Despotate of Nikea and the Kingdom of Sicily continued to battle for control over the city of Men's desire.

There was now only two successors of Mighty Byzantium left, and only one would win before the East would know peace, but who would remain the ever present question.​

cXAyU6f.png

In Western Spain the lands once owned by the Knights of Santiago once again found themselves independent thanks to Italian intervention against the Kingdom of Granada, the dominant Iberian Power.

Organized now under the Kingdom of Portugal, the new Portuguese King Laid claim to all former territories of the Knights of Santiago but was even more interesting was the organization of the Portuguese government, which remained wholly democratic more so than even the Bavarian System.

While skepticism remained, the Portuguese state ensured despite Granadan attempts to subdue the Rebels. The Legacy of the Knights lived on in Portugal who remained Unbowed and Unbroken despite overwhelming odds.

VUINydr.jpg

In America the failure of the Ming had also sent shockwaves. The Colonial Bureaucracy of California itself a homunculus of Japanese, Chinese cultures since its unification crowned their own Emperor, The Son of a British Settler and more local Japanese Noble Family, Josu Abraham Norton, After the Rebel leader defeated the local governor's militia and seized the territory's vast goldmines.

Josu would ironically enough lay claim to the Chinese Throne as well, despite absolutely no legitimacy. Norton however remained, Emperor of California as he was supported by the British who stood just over the border and had an interest in ensuring that Californian Goldmines benefits the British over all others. Emperor Josu despite his eccentricities would prove no Fool, and would cement his claim to royalty through the Marriage of a British Princess, Thus making Emperor Alexander of Cathay, Henry II of Britain and Emperor Josu of California, all Brothers through marriage.

The Japanese, angry that their own plans to reclaim California had been thrown awry positioned themselves instead to invade mainland Asia proper. In this they sought aid from Emperor Alexander, prompting would many would see as the point of No return.

mDH2Mge.png

Both for the Ming Dynasty, and the Future of Asia itself.

Sorry about the delay, secret project coming soon,

There goes Ming...

I hope your move went well.:)

No worries for the delay. I hope the move went well.

The blood price has been high indeed.

Looks like Ming is gonna need another slice of humble pie...

WfeL2fJ.jpg

https://www.strawpoll.me/16338007
here's a poll i made for you to use for your next mega campaign (don't worry you can declare the winner after this mega campaign is done)

Who are the Atropatene?

Wow. Didn't expect things to go THAT badly for Ming. The Mandate of Heaven has a better, more worthy holder now though. China falling to warring states would he interesting to see how it played out, but we know that power vacuum will be filled soon.

Here we go again...

Personally, while Japanese Emperor Norton is fun, I feel we've been down this path before. We have the Ming exploding again, your dynasty conquering land in Asia, conquests and vassalizations everywhere, and putting your dynasty on other countries through marriage and conquest. I'm wondering, how can you make sure this doesn't become a rehash of the Annionas and their expansion in your previous megacampaign?

Also, Japan conquering China would be really immersion-breaking. A colonial China exploding in a similar way as real life is already bad enough. There's no way Japan can take over all of China and keep it, in any time period.

I'm sorry for the rant, I just needed to vent a little.