Stellaris to be First Ever Grand Strategy Game to Land on Consoles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
3. There are already different strategy games on console like Halo Wars, Tropico, Railroad Empire, Sudden Strike, etc. - these games sell well.

Do note that, of those, Halo Wars is the only one developed with consoles in mind, and it's a weird kind of RTS not really working on PC (I've tried it). I would also argue it's the only one selling well, and that's mostly because of the strength of the franchise. I'm not aware of the other ones doing great.

Hello, Folk! I need a quick help which I could not find out from game info and youtube!

I and a few of my friends want to start a new strategy game. Therefore, I am trying to understand that this is a good game for play together with friends.

- Is there any option to create your own corporation or clan?
- Can you join to battles with your corp or allies?
- Can you share, give, donate your resourcs, equipments or fleet with allies?
- Is there any trading option? Can you buy and sell items?
- Do you think is this a good game for to play with friends?

Thank you

The game you're looking for is EVE online. QED.

Thank you so much for posting this neonox. So many more questions now. First one is "game not able for acheivements". Does this mean mods? Also star lanes only?

Love the ending with the crash. LOL. So can't I can't understand why PCers are upset. See the console version will just be like the PC version. It crashes. :p

Looks like the working with the controller is good. I don't see why people say it's a complaint, when I play Stellaris I use a mouse only. So don't understand why people say a keyboard is needed all the time.

My only fear of Stellaris on console is like I said in other posts. Unmodded I don't like Stellaris. I don't like the developer's vision. Modded Stellaris I LOVE because I can play my vision. So to support the devs because they let us play our vision of the game, I will get this. Hopefully we are allowed mods so we can play our vision of the game on console as well. If not, then I just get the base game and not the DLC.

Side question. When was Mega Structures introduced? I hope they are in 1.7 or is that in the Utopia DLC I would need to wait for?

Megastructures are in since it's a part of V1.5 with the Utopia-DLC ...
If you take V1.7 as the console-release-version then the more nuanced machine-empires (Yeah, and all the post-features) aren't in since this is the thing of V1.8 with the Synthetic-Dawn-DLC.

I believe there used to be ringworld in earlier version but Utopia just add more thing to do with build/repair ringworld.

For example one of the fallen empire would start with a partially ruined ringworld that you could take over.

It's honestly almost insulting that the description included both "grand strategy" and "more deep strategy". On an advert for Stellaris on PS4.

Guys, a game like Final Fantasy XIV, have a lot of commands and skills, emotes, a complexe UI, etc. and is perfect playable on PS4 and ps3 too, i can play moving mu char with my ds4 attacking skills, buffing, and i can use the keyboard and mouse if i want, i play with keyboard for buffs and chat, and controller for move atck etc. open your minds, dint say things like "OH its impossible using all commands, the UI is complexe", this is not a issue anymore. The ps4 have compatible with keyboard and mouse, the devs of any game just have to use this if they wants.

I came into this thread pretty excited (I was a console gamer first before pc gaming, and still much prefer to play on the couch with a controller), but the game releasing at 1.7 and not having the existing DLC included would be a hard no until it's fixed. Crossplatform play obviously won't be possible at different version numbers, and there's not a chance in hell I (or anyone else in the console market) is going to pay the payment system PD uses on PC, which can be hundreds and hundreds of dollars for some of their other games that have been in development for longer. The Witcher 3 is a good example of a console port; localised well, and recognised that folding the DLC into the base game was the right thing to do. If you made all pre-release DLC included in the console port and got it up to version parity I'd buy it and future DLC too, but I honestly don't think there'll be any commercial success for it unless it's done right.

I honestly don't think there'll be any commercial success for it unless it's done right.

They don't care at all about doing it 'right'. This is just a cash cow. The quality of the port is irrelevant, just like the quality of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came into this thread pretty excited (I was a console gamer first before pc gaming, and still much prefer to play on the couch with a controller), but the game releasing at 1.7 and not having the existing DLC included would be a hard no until it's fixed. Crossplatform play obviously won't be possible at different version numbers, and there's not a chance in hell I (or anyone else in the console market) is going to pay the payment system PD uses on PC, which can be hundreds and hundreds of dollars for some of their other games that have been in development for longer. The Witcher 3 is a good example of a console port; localised well, and recognised that folding the DLC into the base game was the right thing to do. If you made all pre-release DLC included in the console port and got it up to version parity I'd buy it and future DLC too, but I honestly don't think there'll be any commercial success for it unless it's done right.

That is a great point. This is one of the reasons why I will not pre order or even buy on Day One sadly. To me it seems it's "milking" the customers. I would have thought at least SOME of the DLC would have been included like Utopia. It's one thing to do this on PC but to do it on console is a little be iffy.

If the reviews (player reviews) are good, I will buy it. While I am excited for this, having to buy some of the DLC separately puts a sour taste in my mouth. If utopia is not going to be included what should have been included is the race DLC then. Those should not be sold separately in my opinion. You would think that Paradox wants to look good going into consoles BUT if the base game is $20-30 Canadian I can understand selling the DLC separately. $40 is pushing it and if it's any more, then it's a no sale. That is just way too much money for playing a game that I have to buy additional DLC to fully enjoy.

Hopefully there is enough time for some changes to be made so Paradox can look rock solid coming out of the gate on console.

Yes...that's why Stellaris today is a complete (better) game since launch! And they massively improved the Cities Skylines port for console since launch.

At what cost to the consumer? Why is it now acceptable to buy games at full price that aren't complete and require dozens of patches and DLCs before they are considered 'better'?

Hello, Folk! I need a quick help which I could not find out from game info and youtube!

I and a few of my friends want to start a new strategy game. Therefore, I am trying to understand that this is a good game for play together with friends.

Thank you

I don't think you understand this game on a very basic level. It's not not EVE, at all. The game involves running a space empire. One could very loosely define it as a "Civilization" game, set in space. It can be fun for multiplayer, although it's a bit complex and difficult to get into.

But to answer your questions exactly:
You start with an empire under your control. You can make alliances and form factions with other empires in game later.
You don't really personally fight in battles. You just send your units into battle for you. But yes, allies can send their units to fight in the same battles
Sort of? You can give resources to allies, and you can join wars they're involved in to defend them. You can't however share technology.
There are no "items" in the game. You can trade resources with other empires though.
If you're all into space grand strategy games, then yes.

This is so full of wrong you haven't even proved anything.

I posted that before I was aware of that particular detail, I just didn't feel like going back to edit it.

That is still on you. You still look foolish for saying it. You CHOOSE not to correct it. So you are still at fault here. You could have put an edit in saying now you know. Since you didn't and you "didn't feel" that speaks more of you. Sorry you are wrong here.

Obviously I haven't, but I can't imagine condensing all of the controls of the game into 8 or so buttons without dying of Menu Hell.

Not sure what you are talking about. Funny I use 4 buttons. I use the Mouse and space bar. I also use the tidle key and esc key. That is it. So 8 buttons seem like a hell of a lot.

Bethesda, quite honestly, has more money and a better working relationship with Sony than you guys do. And even they couldn't get mods on to the PS4 without going through hoops. I have every reason to doubt that this will be timely implemented.

What has this to do with Bethesda? You know they dumb down their games each version they release it. They are still AWESOME games though. Since Stellaris is not going to be dumbed down not sure why you put Bethesda in here. After all you don't know what Paradox has to offer yet. This is one of the times you better wait and see before you start complaining because what in the heck are you complaining about? Nothing has been said to complain. Sheesh.

Pointing out the number of consoles sold doesn't really make your argument any better (Though it might appeal to investors). There's nothing to indicate that even one of those 110 million (assuming no overlap) people are even interested. And no, there hasn't been a GSG of this scale released to consoles because you guys are the only ones who really make them. But we can extrapolate based on how things like RTS games (the closest 'cousins') perform on consoles and it suggests that it won't really go well. From my many years of experience gaming, "it needs to be more complex" was not a term I heard leveled at console RTS games in response to their tepid sales.

That is a good point about your 110 million people statement. BUT How many PC are out there? The same can be said for PC. So why put the game on PC when not as many people who own a PC plays these types of games. Also there was a time on PC when people said "I want to play a complex game that can be frustrating to play" since games were suppose to be fun and not too much thinking needed to be done. My look what has happened.

Also first/third person shooting games can't be done on consoles. You need a mouse for precision. I don't know, my son seems to be doing good at it. Same as many more millions around the world as well. So your point is? Heaven forbid some tries something that people say "it can't be done, it will never fly."

How is me speaking of a specific position that your company likely has in any way related to you leveling criticism on me for a job you don't even know that I have?

So you can criticise someone but you can't take it? It goes both ways. Also wishing someone to get fired? Really? Are you perfect at your job? You never make mistakes? To say someone should get fired for over an idea that someone else implement just makes your character not look so good.

PDox is a corporation, someone there had to have run the numbers before anything was invested in this idea. Sure his actual title can be anything, but most people would recognize that person as a market analyst of some sort. Since you seem confused at the logic employed in this, I'll break it down. The 'Market Analyst' in this case runs the numbers, gets something promising and shows it to the people who make the decisions. They greenlight this fool's errand. Me, a long time gamer and several others, are skeptical about its ability to sell in real terms because of actual experience inside the 'intended markets'. Ergo, I believe this analyst is bad at his job because his calculations are off, due to missing/ignoring important data. A similar situation that I can recall happened a few years ago to the US Sci-Fi channel (Before becoming SyFy) when they introduced wrestling into their programming. Because Science Fiction and Wrestling were popular for males between the ages of 18-35, despite anyone with any modicum of sense being able to tell you that there would be little overlap for the fans. Predictably, it failed horribly. The similarities being that, while the numbers might look good on 'paper', a person who is actually involved with either could tell you from the start it isn't a smart plan.

Since Paradox is a publicly traded company now, I am sure they have the people who know what they are doing. After all if you are so smart how come you are not in charge of a company making millions of dollars?

Also how come you result to name calling? That is so childish. Want to move on to a different topic of ideas? You use US Sci-Fi channel. I will do you one better. Star Wars. Look how many people said Disney was going to make a great Star Wars movie by not having George Lucas in it. We know how that turned out eh?

Want to move on to a different topic of ideas? You use US Sci-Fi channel. I will do you one better. Star Wars. Look how many people said Disney was going to make a great Star Wars movie by not having George Lucas in it. We know how that turned out eh?

Yeah, they made a great Star Wars movie without George Lucas in it... Sure "The Last Jedi" is divisive, but it was also a massive success and the highest grossing movie of 2017. I'm honestly not sure what your point here is...

Yeah, they made a great Star Wars movie without George Lucas in it... Sure "The Last Jedi" is divisive, but it was also a massive success and the highest grossing movie of 2017. I'm honestly not sure what your point here is...

Well to me, Star Wars VII and VIII were not good Star War movies at all. So I guess we have a differing opinion there. Did it make money? Yes it did. Did Solo make money? Was it the massive success? Maybe a statement was made there? Just goes to show you that many didn't agree with VIII.

So my point is, just because people say something should be done or not be done doesn't mean that is correct. So in this case with many people saying it will Fail, doesn't mean it will and can be good on console. Again someone using a non game reference so I used a non game reference as well.