• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #97: Pagan Pals - Warrior Lodges

Greetings!

This week we want to show you the work we have been doing on the new society type: Warrior Lodges!

(This is where you scroll down to play the sound clip found in this dev diary, for an insight into the background ambiance of the societies, and how the dev team sounds when we hang out)

It's a society perfect for the rowdy pagan or tribal ruler: the one who drinks, fights, and brags about it to your friends. Of course, underneath that rough surface, lies a heart that swells at the thought of camaraderie, and helping you defeat your enemies.

That said, joining isn't for everyone. You have to fight to prove yourself, and duels are not for the faint of heart.

Fleeing_initiation_duel.png

The ones that do make it into the Warrior Lodge can also insist that their children attempt the initiation!

Once a member, you can enjoy special events on the battlefield, and intimidating power. Going up against a member of a warrior lodge is a calculated risk, but only cowards back out of challenge. While you might lose a leg dueling your friend for sport, you could also end up founding a bloodline as a famous warrior hero, having your legacy stay with your dynasty through centuries.

Warrior Bloodline.png

Each playable pagan religion has its own version of a Warrior Lodge, with some unique touches to them. Art is of course one of them.

Society_Menu.png

Then we have things like Create Fetish, a Power exclusive to the African Warrior Lodge. It allows your ruler to order the forging of a special type of artifact, ranging from mere rain-sticks to scare off ghosts, to large totem masks infused with the energy of ancient spirits.

The mask artifacts come in many varieties and shapes, and as they can be equipped to a separate face slot in your Treasury they can appear on your character’s portrait whenever they are worn. Both their shape and effects will depend on investments made during their creation, as well as on the type of spirit you decide to infuse them with. Do you wish to channel the energy of a benevolent river god, or that of a trickster?

WLfetish.jpg

In addition to Powers, and the various missions you can choose to accept, you might also find yourself involved in side activities, such as feasting events and competitions. Make sure to always pick up the challenges from your fellow warriors, or you might lose influence within their circle, be it a drinking contest, an arm-wrestling match, or the Flyting game of patience, where you and your opponent will hurl all sorts of insults at each other, to see who loses his cool first. If that is you, do not fret: even if your character ends up horribly humiliated, nothing is stopping you from being a sore loser and challenging your opponent to real duel in the aftermath…

WLflyting.jpg

Duels are also no longer locked solely the War Focus, but all Warrior Lodge members can enjoy fighting all up close and personal. In general, duels are a large past time for members of these societies, and Personal Combat Rating has been revamped to fit the new system. Outcomes of the duels vary from mere bruises to severe injuries. There is naturally also the chance of one thing leading to another, and you might find yourself making friends (or lovers)...

Thank you for your time. :)

Attachments

• Warrior Lodge Ambiance.wav
    2,7 MB · Views: 6.357
There is naturally also the chance of one thing leading to another, and you might find yourself making friends (or lovers)...
Can confirm, if there are any doubters. This is how I met my wife. I cut off her leg in combat, one thing led to another, and we were married by the end of the month.

Oh, sure, I suppose it's theoretically possible for a warrior to win renown and all that, but this is Crusader Kings.

Any player character that joins a Warrior Lodge is going to get maimed and die before the year's out.

Considering the level of syncretism in west Africa would it be possible to be allowed to keep using such masks even after you convert from African paganism at a piety cost? Perhaps have the lodge open to secret practitioners of African paganism.

"What? no I am totally a Muslim this mask is just... decorative?"

Last edited:
Seem you can do like Hermetic Society and have multiple Generation in it, Scholar vs Warrior, tough choice , looking forward to it :D

@IsakMiller Also Does the Peaceful Nature for Reformed Pagan Religion Impact the warrior lodge?

Oh, sure, I suppose it's theoretically possible for a warrior to win renown and all that, but this is Crusader Kings.

Any player character that joins a Warrior Lodge is going to get maimed and die before the year's out.
It is as it should be.
The jokes are just too easy lol
Please don't, we heard them all when they added fetishism to eu4.
So at the top it says Pagan Or Tribal,
will they be available to non-pagan tribals and non-tribal pagans?
This looks good I've been hoping for more societies.
That'd be so cool.
Are those updated german provinces?
Yeah I seem to see Köln on the right site of the river. Nice spotting.

OK, the Followers of Otso are Suomenusko because it says so in the description. I'm going to assume the Eagle Warriors are Tengri because of their association with the steppes.

Which leaves the Band of Medeina. Any idea which pagan faith they belong to?

OK, the Followers of Otso are Suomenusko because it says so in the description. I'm going to assume the Eagle Warriors are Tengri because of their association with the steppes.

Which leaves the Band of Medeina. Any idea which pagan faith they belong to?
Romuva they have a tree in their icon and romuva have a branch as their icon.
Also
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medeina