First BATTLETECH Expansion, FLASHPOINT Coming This November!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

emmasterakia

Community Developer
6 Badges
Mar 27, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
High-stakes Short Stories, New Biome, New BattleMechs and a Multi-Territory Encounter.

The first-ever BATTLETECH expansion FLASHPOINT will be available in November 2018, complete with three new ‘Mechs (including the highly anticipated Hatchetman), a challenging new mission type, and a new tropical biome, along with its featured namesake, Flashpoints.

Flashpoints are high-stakes branching short stories, comprised of procedural mercenary missions linked together with new crew conversations, special events, critical choices, and valuable rewards. To ramp up the intensity, some Flashpoint stories will feature “Consecutive Deployments” in which players won’t be able to repair their ‘Mechs between missions.

Key Features:
  • Flashpoints - Test your command skills in a series of action-packed short stories, completing extended contracts to earn big bonuses.

• New Biome - Navigate a lush tropical beach environment, with sunny shores and just a pinch of alien flare, for good measure. Sunscreen optional.

• New BattleMechs - Get your ‘Mech on with the armor-chopping power of the Hatchetman, the speed and versatility of the Crab, and the multi-range firepower of the Cyclops.

• New Encounter - In “Target Acquisition”, you’ll put your light and medium ‘Mechs to good use by taking control of three territories on the map to prevail!

“Flashpoint stories give us the flexibility to design a huge variety of experiences, all with different sequences, events, challenges, decisions, rewards, etc. We’re combining core gameplay mechanics in new ways to create deeper content,” said Mitch Gitelman, BATTLETECH Game Director and co-founder of Harebrained Schemes. “These more elaborate, longer-term objectives are an awesome interactive storytelling tool, which we think BATTLETECH fans will really enjoy,” added Jordan Weisman, CEO and Creator of BattleTech.

Read all about Flashpoint RIGHT HERE!

Hatchetman! Yessss!!!!

Looks like it builds directly onto 3025.

Episodic BATTLETECH Development, just like Jordan described at GENCON51!

: )

While I think the branching mission design will be a godsend, adding just three mech chassis to the game (and no Unseens) is kind of a bummer.

E: Hopefully there'll also be a new 'main' campaign.

"Hatchetman! That's him! They finally put Hatchetman in the game!"

- Me, having absolutely no relation to the Battletech universe outside of this game, having only heard about other mechs in passing mention on this forum.

Weird how hype works.

While I think the branching mission design will be a godsend, adding just three mech chassis to the game (and no Unseens) is kind of a bummer.

E: Hopefully there'll also be a new 'main' campaign.

the product page implies that there will not be any additions to the main campaign with this particular expansion pack. they're calling it an expansion pack but it doesn't sound like enough content to be called that. more like just any other standard dlc.

Yeah. Pretty big buzzkill for me to get(news or content) nothing about the Marauder, Warhammer, or Raven...

This is my uneducated guess, so take this how you will, but...

I am sure HBS has been working on Flashpoint for quite a while, and I am guessing it was started well before the whole HG mess was resolved. Therefore they were working on what they knew they could deliver at the time the expansion was started.

As for the Raven, there might still not be a satisfying solution to the Electronic Warfare Suite issue yet. The Raven being added I am sure hinges on that.

Regardless of what will come of the resolution of the case, I think it is far too early to see the long term results of that resolution this quickly.

Well, the Raven is a 3048 design.
That said, I wouldn't mind a timeskip to 3050. Or 3049 if you don't want to deal with the Clans.

The 3L is 3048, but the 1X is 3024.

This is my uneducated guess, so take this how you will, but...

I am sure HBS has been working on Flashpoint for quite a while, and I am guessing it was started well before the whole HG mess was resolved. Therefore they were working on what they knew they could deliver at the time the expansion was started.

As for the Raven, there might still not be a satisfying solution to the Electronic Warfare Suite issue yet. The Raven being added I am sure hinges on that.

Regardless of what will come of the resolution of the case, I think it is far too early to see the long term results of that resolution this quickly.

While I don't disagree that Flashpoint was likely being worked on much earlier than the lawsuit was concluded, the lack of any news at all on it from HBS is frustrating.

the product page implies that there will not be any additions to the main campaign with this particular expansion pack. they're calling it an expansion pack but it doesn't sound like enough content to be called that. more like just any other standard dlc.

It sounds like there will be a lot of short stories...

"Flashpoints are high-stakes branching short stories, comprised of procedural mercenary missions linked together with new crew conversations, special events, critical choices, and valuable rewards. To ramp up the intensity, some Flashpoint stories will feature “Consecutive Deployments” in which players won’t be able to repair their ‘Mechs between missions." - Paradox YouTube Trailer for Flashpoint.

It sounds like we will be getting some decent additional story content, we will have to wait and see how much.

It sounds like there will be a lot of short stories...

"Flashpoints are high-stakes branching short stories, comprised of procedural mercenary missions linked together with new crew conversations, special events, critical choices, and valuable rewards. To ramp up the intensity, some Flashpoint stories will feature “Consecutive Deployments” in which players won’t be able to repair their ‘Mechs between missions." - Paradox YouTube Trailer for Flashpoint.

It sounds like we will be getting some decent additional story content, we will have to wait and see how much.
it sounds like procedurally generated story content, which, unless things have changed, procedurally generated content tends to be pretty poor in general compared to a human written story

While I don't disagree that Flashpoint was likely being worked on much earlier than the lawsuit was concluded, the lack of any news at all on it from HBS is frustrating.

I don't want to sidetrack the conversation too much, but this is why I think that is the case.

The comments given were from PGI and Catalyst who were involved in the final resolution of the case. HBS was not a part of that since they came to a resolution earlier. I am guessing that PGI and Catalyst had discussed and agreed upon an official message with HG concerning the end of the case. If HBS was not a part of that (again since they resolved the case earlier), they probably have no part in that statement and therefore aren't going to make one on their own.

This is all purely speculation on my part, but I think it makes sense.