Stellaris - Console Edition

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyrael

Field Marshal
82 Badges
Jul 20, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
Well then, I guess PDS finally decided, after all those surveys, to take that step.

Oh, that's a surprise. I guess it's possible to do a console version of Stellaris mainly because of removal of tile system. Nice.

No, tile system has nothing to do with it. The starting version for the consoles is 1.7, which predates the removal of certain FTL systems.

Could they focus and finish the PC version before ? I still did not buy Stellaris (and DLCs of CS) because of the direction taken by PDX...

Dumb Myth about Game Development #1: if you throw a lot of programmers at a game, it will develop sooner and be more bugfree
Actual truth: What one programmer can do in one month, two can do in two months

In other words, moving programmers of Console Edition to PC version won't do anything to make the game develop faster.

Could they focus and finish the PC version before ? I still did not buy Stellaris (and DLCs of CS) because of the direction taken by PDX...

The console port is being done by an entirely separate team and has no impact on the velocity of main Stellaris development at all. They are working in parallel with us.

Due to my ownership of PC Stellaris I doubt I'll buy this but it's still extremely interesting all the same.

I can't wait to see how it'll work on the consoles.

Can we also get the option to use the big screen friendly UI I assume you are making for the console version in our PC versions.

I totally love playing PDS games with my steam controller on my tv, singleplayer is relaxing enough, the Steam Controller is an extremely versatile tool and after a day at the office putting in another few hours behind a desk in the evening is not the best. The only probem is that I can't for the love of god read anything in a PDS game when sitting at my couch.

So please, really really please with you guys doing the work anyway for the consol version, give us a Big Screen UI option on pc!

Please?

I wonder how bad late game performance would be.

Plus until it catches up to 2.2, upgrading and building on tiles with a controller would be such a nightmare.

Actually, I imagine it will be worse with the new system. In the tile system, you generally move around the grid and click on it. With the new system, you will jump between sectors, POPs, deposits, buildings, and so on (all of which have some commands).

I'm a bit afraid because of the past experiences with developers 'going console' resulting into PC version also becoming 'console friendly' and removing features like console commands and usermods. Not to mention dumbing down the game to the console peasant level.

But eh, I guess we wait and see?

I am no console gamer, but still consider this rather interesting. The way I see it, it's not just about porting the interface for console. They would also have to modify the game mechanics behind the UI or else it will be a rather tedious console debut.

After the Playstation 1 is has been fairly rare for strategy games to get ported to consoles, other than strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem. The lack of mouse and keyboard, mod support, and the lower system specs of consoles typically mean they are weak ports.

I'm hoping and expecting that this has had and will have precisely zero impact on Stellaris design decisions.

The Stellaris development team only designs and develops for PC. Anything that needs to be adapted for console is adapted on the console version itself, not on the PC version.

Status
Not open for further replies.