• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 17th of July 2018

Yo all future World conquerors! Todays dev diary will cover two small free features coming with the 1.26 Patch. First is a Multiplayer feature and then some nice graphics.

So for anyone that watched our Dev Clash campaign called "Happy Three Friends" will remember this feature. Back then I hacked in something very quickly over an afternoon or so that we could play with teams between three players with some special rules and share our score together. Now bunch of people asked us to let other people play with this but it wasn't really usable at the time. So we took out or shine polish and fixed it up a bit.

Here you can see us and some betas posing with the feature.
upload_2018-7-16_13-6-15.png

(Also among the things I fixed were the darned 1 px offset that was on the items in the player list which made it mismatch with the background. It's the small things right?)

It is now enabled in the settings interface under the multiplayer tab. There is also an extra option which enables so anyone can create a team if they want and not only the host. Though editing rights and removing teams are still left solely on the host.

Among other things this feature also changes how alliances and victory cards work for the players. For one all players will be forced into an alliance and we've blocked most ways to break the alliances by player hands. There might be a few special cases where the alliance can be broken like vassalage and such. But if you are in a team you will always be able to make it immediately again no matter the opinion between you and your team members. These alliances also do not count for relation slots. For victory cards, you should no longer get victory cards on each other.

A thing to keep in mind is that technically it is not the player that are in the team but the country itself. This means if a player leave the game it will still count as being in your team.

Next feature is the Indian Siege graphics to give some flavorful art to the subcontinent.

upload_2018-7-16_13-57-17.png

Next week will be with @DDRJake again where he will cover the various balance changes we've been working on.

Great to see that u implement new features, how ever the reason why all Team-games I tried so far failed is:
If one player quit's the entire Team is screwed

Last edited:
Next week will be with @DDRJake again where he will cover the various balance changes we've been working on.

Are you going to resolve mercspam meta, various subsidies abuses and/or robbing by peacing out separately in MP? =)

I mean, this could be interesting to play around with in MP sometimes. I don't think it'll be used always though, because then we can't stab each other in the back ;)

May I suggest an extended rules set tab for MP, something like CK2 has received a few DLCs ago, but larger?
For example:
  • mercenary cost
  • available mercenaries
  • drill gain modifier
  • professionalism multipliers with age
  • mil. development per manpower conversion
  • different peace options warscore cost

Basically add most valuable variables from defines.lua to a separate "Extended Multiplayer Rules" tab.

Great to see that u implement new features, how ever this does not fix the main problem of Teams in multiplayer:
If one player quit's the entire Team is screwed

And, yes Quitters have to be expected in Multiplayer games
No way to fix that obviously.

tbh I don't see a point in teams in the game about politics... What you want there is to roleplay real countries and how they don't care about anyone but themselves.

To be fair, most of the team are probably still on vacation...
It's still a bit lousy for a dev diary. The last few were actually.

Anyhow, they should have split the meatier DDs in half and combine them with mediore ones like this one. In case of Dharma, policies and trade charters could have been a seperate DD instead of being added to the TC buildings and Diwan DDs. This would have given us two more decent DDs. That's something PDX' PR team should have came up with.

Anyhow, they should have split the meatier DDs in half and combine them with mediore ones like this one. In case of Dharma, policies and trade charters could have been a seperate DD instead of being added to the TC buildings and Diwan DDs. This would have given us two more decent DDs. That's something PDX' PR team should have came up with.

It's not the PR team that is making the DDs, but the designer/contenter/programmer/Administrative AI, which all have better things to do. When they are writing DDs for you, they are not working.

Was to be expected. Releasing Dharma just before everyone and their mother go on vacation would've been a bad idea in case something was broken and required a hotfix. Sure they could've split the content more evenly, but I don't care

Really looking forward to next week though

It's not the PR team that is making the DDs, but the designer/contenter/programmer/Administrative AI, which all have better things to do. When they are writing DDs for you, they are not working.
I'm very well aware of that ...

I would expect that their PR team would tell the devs how to increase hype, etc pp.