BattleTech Guide: Uninstall BattleTech Cleanly.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Edmon

TheEdmon on YouTube
34 Badges
Jul 11, 2014
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
This guide will help you to uninstall BattleTech cleanly if you have issues or have mods which have not uninstalled properly or have broken since v1.1. This method has been known to fix issues even if you've not modded (but have had issues since v1.1.).

One does not simply Right Click > Uninstall BattleTech.

Here is a video for making the regedit described below:

Note, you may also find data in the following location on windows 10:
C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\

[Moderator edit]
Please excuse me @Edmon for editing your post, but I wanted to get this information all in one place!

- another way of getting into AppData in Windows Explorer is to click on View up the top, and tick the box "view hidden items".

- a further measure has been seen to be needed to clear old modification and other game data in some cases. This should be done after the uninstall process Edmon describes, before installing again:
Open up RegEdit.exe, navigate to 'Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH'. Now delete the 'CachedSettings_h2706256392’ key
Note this too is potentially dangerous, ask for help if you are not confident in this!

- here are equivalent file system locations for GoG users:
The equivalent of
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\USER_ID\637090\
is
C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\50593543263669699\

The equivalent of
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\
is
C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\BATTLETECH\

c:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\ is the same for Steam and GoG versions.

What the GoG equivalent for turning off Steam cloud sync is I do not know, I'm sorry. Hopefully GoG users do or can find that!
AndrewT

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
This should be pinned, and also pinned in the mods section, IMO.

This should be pinned, and also pinned in the mods section, IMO.

Modding or not, the game does not uninstall cleanly, so it's applicable to everyone.

Oh I guess you meant it should be pinned in two places XD.

This helps some base game players resolve issues as well.

Modding or not, the game does not uninstall cleanly, so it's applicable to everyone.

Oh I guess you meant it should be pinned in two places XD.

This helps some base game players resolve issues as well.

Sorry, lack of clarity on my part -- I meant pinned in both places, main forum AND modding forum, to make sure it's as widely seen as possible in the two places people will be looking for answers on this matter.

It's absolutely awesome that you put this guide together for others who run into this issue.

Last edited:
Sorry, lack of clarity on my part -- I meant pinned in both places, main forum AND modding forum, to make sure it's as widely seen as possible in the two places people will be looking for answers on this matter.

It's absolutely awesome that you put this guide together for others you run into this issue.

If even one person is helped, then it's worth it.

I think I can move it to the mod sub forum, then move it back here, creating a redirect there that can be pinned...

[processing...]

...and done.

Hello,
If I may ask a question for help.
While trying to do a clean uninstall of BT for applying a new version of Roguetech, i don't seem to have success.
Following the very easy steps in this video, I cannot install a working Battletech anymore.
Removing the Battletech Folder, removing the HairbrainedSchemes folder from locallow folder (there is no such folder created in local folder) and the save folder, after reinstalling, the Battletech game crashes.
It enters main menu nice and good, but any action after that (be that creating a new campaign, or going to skirmish section results in an infinitelly spining loading circle in the corner. No matter how long you leave the game running.
I have been directed here from the Roguetech section, maybe there is some solution.
I have no idea what to do, to make Battletech run.
This was the only game I play being so much fun.
Please
Thank you

After you've uninstalled BattleTech Cleanly, have you been able to run BattleTech (just normal BattleTech) OK?

This should be your first step.

If you uninstall BattleTech cleanly and re-install it from steam, then there is no reason why the base game shouldn't work.

Once you've got the base game working, we can figure out getting RogueTech installed after.

Remember, you need to turn steam-sync (cloud saves) off. If you miss this step, you will load corrupted saved and your client will crash.

Last edited:
The behavior I have described is for Battletech, no mods no nothing, trying to run the vanilla game,
Nice and smooth enters the main menu, then anything I do, either trying to go into campaign or into the skirmish ones, the game freezes with the loader circle rotating infinite, not loading anything.
The only difference is that i have a "Hairbrainedscheme" folder in locallow (where the Ctrl+K 4k screenshots are exported) and none in local
As per official instructions anyone can use ingame ctrl+k to export 4k resolution images without any game menus, you know, for capturing some of the most amazing scenes you encounter

Are you trying to load an extant campaign, or start a new one from scratch?

(Sorry if I missed this in earlier posts.)

The behavior I have described is for Battletech, no mods no nothing, trying to run the vanilla game,
Nice and smooth enters the main menu, then anything I do, either trying to go into campaign or into the skirmish ones, the game freezes with the loader circle rotating infinite, not loading anything.
The only difference is that i have a "Hairbrainedscheme" folder in locallow (where the Ctrl+K 4k screenshots are exported) and none in local
As per official instructions anyone can use ingame ctrl+k to export 4k resolution images without any game menus, you know, for capturing some of the most amazing scenes you encounter

Did you turn steam sync off, before you clean uninstalled?

A modded savegame being kept in the cloud can cause the issue you describe.

Yes, sync is off.
I installed on a different drive and it acts the same.
Now i did a search on my pc for 637090 and found (beside the steam folder with the F12 screenshots 760) 2 more *.bin files that are located in program files/steam/appcache/stats.
What do you think?
Should I delete these too?

After you've uninstalled, in my guide the folder "637090" should have been deleted entirely.

So yes, delete the folder.

Re-install the game only after all the designated folders have been deleted entirely and you have ensured steam sync for BattleTech is off.

Then you should be fine... unless you have some other issue relating to v1.1. In which case I will need your output file to work out the issue. We can worry about that after though.

steam/userdata/user number/760
This folder houses yet another subfolder named 637090, which is not mentioned in the video and houses just the screenshots.

The 637090 (like in the video) I delete, following to the letter the steps there
My only deviation from the video except hairbrainedscheme folder which i only have in "locallow" if it makes any difference

I will delete anything related to 637090 and see if it makes a difference for the new install
I attached photo to see locations (standard install folders)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    14,4 KB · Views: 80
Reinstalled after deleting everything i could find on 637090. Still doing the same infinite rotating
Here is the file
Thank you for your helping hand

No hardware changed, no settings changed, no nothing
I just wanted to install the roguetech 0.987, thus following their recommendation to do a clean install
Roguetech 0.986 was working great but i wanted to see the new content (especially the longer missions)

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    36,4 KB · Views: 185
Your problem is that you have save games somewhere that refer to RogueTech equipment and you don't have RogueTech installed.

Data.DataManager.LoadRequests [ERROR] manifestEntry is null for [Gear_AdvancedMaterials3] [UpgradeDef] - resourceIds are case sensitive so be sure to check that too.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Data.DataManager.LoadRequests [ERROR] manifestEntry is null for [Gear_TTS_AdvancedTC] [UpgradeDef] - resourceIds are case sensitive so be sure to check that too.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Data.DataManager.LoadRequests [ERROR] manifestEntry is null for [Gear_Myomer_TSM] [UpgradeDef] - resourceIds are case sensitive so be sure to check that too.

Data.DataManager.LoadRequests [ERROR] manifestEntry is null for [Weapon_MachineGun_MachineGun_1-HEAVY] [WeaponDef] - resourceIds are case sensitive so be sure to check that too.

This problem can only be caused by:
1) Having Steam Sync enabled on BattleTech and it re-downloading your old RogueTech saves when you reinstall.
2) Having not deleted all the folders which were noted in the clean uninstall guide.
3) If you are using the GoG version of the game, it may hide the saves / files in weird places, I can't help here.

You cannot rescue your saves between versions of RogueTech, so you must uninstall everything cleanly and verify the base game works, before you attempt to install a new version of RogueTech.

1) file attached - that is not enabled, right?!
2) deleted everything in there (as previous mentioned I do not have a hairbrained scheme folder in "local", I have it in "locallow"...does this make any difference?! What files should be in there so i can see in mine in locallow
3) Steam version

I stopped carrying for my Roguetech evolution (after 2 years ingame i was tackling 5 skulls with ease, so pretty much a new campaign was imminent anyway), I just want the game to work

Where or whom could I bother with my problem, lets say officialy receive troubleshooting help, as I do not want to impose more to you unless you are interested in tracking down as pure curiosity from your part.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    17,1 KB · Views: 105